[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

Lemon_King

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for confirming it, I could not see any performance difference between using FancyCache vs the suggested imdisk method either.

Also found that a 4GB read/write cache is enough, no benefits by setting it higher.

Another thing worth mentioning is, that it suggests block size per automatic, it can be fine tuned for more performance thou.

Volume edition is for raid arrays and disks that are broken up into several partitions.

Although, I use the disk edition without problems for an Intel Raid 1 array since Windows sees that one as a disk.

Lets hope the price won't be as crazy high as SuperCache.

And another thing is, that even if you got a 32bit OS with more RAM than it can use, all that additional hidden RAM can be used for disk/volume caching.

One more thing :D

Careful with defer write, it's best not to use it while the application is still beta.

I'm using it on separate RAID-0_4(Soft) disk. Defer write works like a charm :) Until now atleast:)

imdisk -a -s 3000M -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

mkdir T:\SWTOR\swtor

mklink /J "T:\SWTOR\swtor\settings" C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\settings"

1500m does not work game wont run tell me it needs 2gb. I got 12 gb ram how much should I use went up to 3 now will see if the game will run.

What number should I use in imdisk -a -s ......M -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y" ?????????

imdisk -a -s 3000M -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

mklink /J "T:\SWTOR\swtor\settings" C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\settings"

1500m does not work game wont run tell me it needs 2gb. I got 12 gb ram how much should I use went up to 3 now will see if the game will run.

What number should I use in imdisk -a -s ......M -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y" ?????????

imdisk -a -s 3G -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

?

It is true that the game asks for at least 2GB free space but that only happens to me when I forget to mount my ramdisk. After creation check if your pc sees the ramdisk as T: and that you can handle it like a normal harddrive.

For the basic setup without any asset files;

The original setup was "-s 2G" which was a ramdisk of 2Gb. After some testing it was brought back to "-s 1500M" which is 1.5GB. The biggest file it already 1GB and then you need some spare space for the other two cache files that are needed.

If you got that many ram a ramdisk of 2GB should suffy. use "-s 2G" and make sure it is mounted and visible in your pc as a harddrive.

It is true that the game asks for at least 2GB free space but that only happens to me when I forget to mount my ramdisk. After creation check if your pc sees the ramdisk as T: and that you can handle it like a normal harddrive.

For the basic setup without any asset files;

The original setup was "-s 2G" which was a ramdisk of 2Gb. After some testing it was brought back to "-s 1500M" which is 1.5GB. The biggest file it already 1GB and then you need some spare space for the other two cache files that are needed.

If you got that many ram a ramdisk of 2GB should suffy. use "-s 2G" and make sure it is mounted and visible in your pc as a harddrive.

How do I mount it on win7???? Dunno how to do that

I'm using it on separate RAID-0_4(Soft) disk. Defer write works like a charm :) Until now atleast:)

Just remember that a lazy cache without battery backup will corrupt data upon a system reset/crash.

I mention battery backup, because that is what you use on a servers disk controller to avoid getting corrupt data caused by crashes.

Edited by Mineria

i am gonna try fancy cahce, any recommended setup options? i have 12gb ram and will use 4 or 6 for this.

testing now. u can find proper links in their forums for download

4096MB is enough, didn't see any more gained by going higher.

Leave block size at what the app detects.

Set Algorithm to LFU-R, use Read/Write Strategy and don't enable anything else.

How do I mount it on win7???? Dunno how to do that

imdisk -a -s 2G -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

The above code will create a ramdisk of 2Gb and Windows will see it as a disk with the drive letter T:. This will only create the ramdrive and not the extra folders and links!

To run the code you need to HAVE Imdisk installed on your system already. Press windowslogo+R and type in CMD and hit enter. In this box you type all the code needed.

If you have trouble setting up this by commands try one of these batch scripts we came up with: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=2684127. These should find automaticaly installation and local folders, without the hassle to do each step manually. Use it at your own risk as I'm not responsible but will try to help ya further.

4096MB is enough, didn't see any more gained by going higher.

Leave block size at what the app detects.

Set Algorithm to LFU-R, use Read/Write Strategy and don't enable anything else.

I have it set at Read Only as written data outside of the Ramdrive is very minor.

I installed fancy cache. I have 12gb of ram, and set the cache to 4gb.

I can run around fleet without much trouble now, and i can play pvp... thank you very much!!

It's still not running smoothly in pvp, but at least i can play now.

Thank you again :)

Lets talk about increasing SWTOR Performance by working around Engine Bottlenecks!

Right now this focuses on placing DiskCacheArena and 2 buffer files DiskCacheStatic / DiskCacheStream on a RamDrive.

The increase in performance I've seen during my test for the past few days was quite nice, resolved 2 issues with the engine.

The First being a performance drop once DiskCacheArena starts becoming full where data needs to be flushed during gameplay, causing severe hitching* even on an SSD.

Second is for Static and Stream, simple buffers that work wonders in a RamDrive but will slow performance anytime they are on disk; the performance drop remains even if Arena is in a RamDrive.

*Hitching is caused by the engine pausing to flush data in DiskCacheArena then creating data to save there once freed up, including Atlas Texture Generation for Dynamic Models.

Now why is this a bottleneck? - Click Spoiler to see

When the game is started, it mounts the MYP/TOR files in ..\Assets\ loads the data from there by streaming with the Static and Stream files into DiskCacheArena. Once there it can be loaded by the engine for use in General Gameplay. Its a pretty slow method but it does work for now.

A better solution would be to mount the data and have the game pull from that as one large LRC, with all data created by the engine and downloaded from the server to go into DiskCacheArena; giving it proper priority over the mounted data.

Another solution would be to make use of MemoryMan.dll and spawna third process to act as a light RamDrive for DiskCacheArena with the write buffers for machines with enough ram - a simple toggle could be added in the launcher.

Setting up a RamDrive

You will need 6 Gigs or more of Ram, a 64bit version of Windows, and some software, your other solution is to hunt down some Hardware to bypass OS limits.

Software you will need

ImDisk Virtual Disk Setup

imdisk -a -s 1500M -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

If you are having issues, change 1500M to 2G.

Creating Folder Junctions

1. Find our where your SWTOR is located, As an example my install is located on S:\Applications\Star Wars-The Old Republic\
  2. Open your Start Panel click Run and type in %userprofile%\AppData\Local
  3. Scrolling down you should see a folder called SWTOR, open it and Copy the settings folder to <SWTOR Install Location>\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\
  4. Delete DiskCacheArena if it exists in <SWTOR Install Location>\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\
  5. RENAME the SWTOR folder in Local to SWTOR_Original
  6. Run cmd with Admin Rights change <SWTOR Install Location> to your SWTOR Install Location.
    mklink /J "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\SWTOR" "T:\SWTOR\"
    mklink /J "T:\SWTOR\swtor\settings" "<SWTOR Install Location>\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\settings"
    mklink "<SWTOR Install Location>\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

What to do on a Reboot with IMDrive?

Save the code below as a batch file and follow this guide here: Windows Vista / 7 UAC Launch on Startup

Allowing the Ramdrive to startup and be prepped for SWTOR without having to manually run the batch file everytime.

imdisk -a -s 1500M -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"
mklink /J "T:\SWTOR\swtor\settings" "<SWTOR Install Location>\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\settings"

Removing ImDrive & Junctions

Run this batchfile and it should remove all links to the Ramdrive, Restart your PC and uninstall ImDrive.

del "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\SWTOR"
rename "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\SWTOR_Original" SWTOR
del "<SWTOR Install Location>\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena"

Be sure to change <SWTOR Install Location> to your SWTOR Location!

Simple All-In-One Boot Batchfiles

Experimental Stuff

Using Junctions to move Dynamic Player Data to your a Ramdrive (Requires a 4gig Ramdrive)

Post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=2577689

Other Software to Help Improve Performance

• Fancy Cache
    Fancy Cache will allow you to cache Reads & Writes from all drives on your system, however future versions of the software WILL COST.
    Performance gain from FancyCache is quite a bit due to it caching reads from SWTOR's assets.

Common Hardware Performance Issues

First, make sure you have Direct X 9 Updated / Windows Vista/7 Framerate Issue

If you're on Vista / 7 and you have NOT installed the DirectX 9 Runtime from Microsoft I highly suggest you do so.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

Q: I have a Computer with a CPU slower than an i5 and I'm still having Studdering/FPS Issues!

A: Its time to upgrade that Computer. :jawa_tongue:

Q: I have an i5 or higher and I'm still having Studdering/FPS Lag!

A: Then check your videocard; If its slower than GeForce 550 or a Radeon 6600 or 6700 series you might want to upgrade your videocard - or just turn off Shadows ingame.

Q: I have done all of the above and my performance is still terrible - or I don't have the Cash to Upgrade.

A: See this Thread - Run your patcher, go into ../Assets/ and rename swtor_main_art_fx_1.tor to swtor_main_art_fx_1_Backup.tor and then launch SWTOR.

You will get a FPS increase, but loose pretty much every fancy particle effect and sfx tied to it.

TODO: Expand on Fancy Cache for those that are interested

That's too complicated. How about BioWare change the way their program runs so I don't have to risk screwing it up?

That's too complicated. How about BioWare change the way their program runs so I don't have to risk screwing it up?

Yea we all feel like that probs but he we users are always trying to get things running smoother ;p

And pls dont freaking quote the whole OP... For what you wanted to say no quote was even needed, or else just like quote the first line >.<

Because the Bioware Austin division of EA has not displayed interest in adjusting their client code so as to render this process a non-improvement. And so some nice people (who are customers like you and me) have tested, written and re-written this guide out for our use (if we care to use it).

Why complain about stuff our fellow players are doing out of the kindness of their hearts to make the game work better for others (who take their advice)?

Because the Bioware Austin division of EA has not displayed interest in adjusting their client code so as to render this process a non-improvement. And so some nice people (who are customers like you and me) have tested, written and re-written this guide out for our use (if we care to use it).

Why complain about stuff our fellow players are doing out of the kindness of their hearts to make the game work better for others (who take their advice)?

Because that's like selling me a new car and telling me I got to go under the hood and start fiddling with components to get it to run right. That's not my job, it's theirs. I'm not a mechanic, nor a computer geek and neither are the majority of the people who purchased the game. :rolleyes:

Because that's like selling me a new car and telling me I got to go under the hood and start fiddling with components to get it to run right. That's not my job, it's theirs. I'm not a mechanic, nor a computer geek and neither are the majority of the people who purchased the game. :rolleyes:

You want Bioware to do something. Awesome!

... why are you telling us?

Yes, that would be nice, but that is not what this thread is about. This thread is for (somewhat) advanced users that enjoy experimenting, tweaking, and modifying their game files to increase performance. If you do not wish to participate, then kindly run along.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I guess you never heard of Aftermarket Oil Filter mods for some truck models to improve performance.

We are talking about SWTOR not Windows...

It's only the assets file which contains the particle effects which is causing the problem. So why are people copying the whole of assets directory and claiming to need several GB.

The culprit file is about 200MB. So you can renename the original and create a symbolic link to the file which you've copied over to the ramdrive (note 200MB is sufficient). NTFS file system supports symbolic links, so you should be able to use this hack even on a 32 bit system with 4GB.

It's only the assets file which contains the particle effects which is causing the problem. So why are people copying the whole of assets directory and claiming to need several GB.

The culprit file is about 200MB. So you can renename the original and create a symbolic link to the file which you've copied over to the ramdrive (note 200MB is sufficient). NTFS file system supports symbolic links, so you should be able to use this hack even on a 32 bit system with 4GB.

Interesting. I'd give that a try if I knew which one it was.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller