The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do - it means lots of unorganised people are independently reporting an issue - which indicates it exists.

You average uninformed mass are the people you want to spin your product at, if you want to make a lot of sales. If the uninformed masses can't run your game, then you have a problem.

The problem is the faulty assumptions made by those people precisely because they are uninformed. Laymen don't have the knowledge necessary to make informed decisions, but they "latch on" to the first thing that appears plausible to them.

But it doesn't change the facts: I have a system with a i7 930 and GTX 560 Ti.... and I run TOR at 60% fan speed. That means it's possible for PJE to run it equally or even better than me... however, there is something different about his configuration that is preventing him from doing so. Hence, NOT TOR's fault.

Edited by Kashaan

You can't possibly know this as a fact, so please stop acting like you do.

The only common denominator in all of our cases seems to be that this issue only happens when playing this particular game, and that leads one to logically suspect that the fault lies with the game itself.

All you seem interested in is defending the game, there's a word for that.

also logic dictates that even tho a few people seem to be having this problem since HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of others (the mass majority by far) aren't but they are also running the game and no doubt a lot of them on exactly the same or similar rigs to your's that it is something else specific to the few of you who have this problem is at fault and not the game...

if it was an honest problem with the games coding and not a specific conflict with either your setup or an issue with just your setup and not the game at all a majority would have this problem not only a handful of people or everyone with a certain setup would be having it

Edited by Liquidacid

BioWare wrote the buggy coding, BioWare can take responsibilty for the buggy coding, BioWare can friggin fix the buggy coding. ASAP.

Do you know the first thing about coding? :eek:

The code is not well-optimized... that is not the same as "buggy". And because it's not well-optimized, it will require more "oomph" to run well... aka, a decent computer system.

The solution: Turn down the graphics settings. If your system isn't designed to run TOR at 100% performance, don't do it. Then when they finish optimizing it, you can turn the graphics up.

also logic dictates that even tho a few people seem to be having this problem since HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS...are also running the game and no doubt a lot of them on exactly the same or similar rigs to your's

Most people aren't running the fastest CPUs, and probably aren't seeing the same kinds of heat increases faster rigs with certain configurations are seeing.

Most people aren't running the fastest CPUs, and probably aren't seeing the same kinds of heat increases faster rigs with certain configurations are seeing.

do you have facts to prove that?

but the point is if that was the case then a majority of everyone who is running the fastest CPUs would be having the same problems... and as that is not the case (proven by numerous people posting they HAVE fast CPUs and have no problem and the majority who HAVE fast CPUs and don't even come to the forums since they have no problem)

Edited by Liquidacid

because it's not well-optimized, it will require more "oomph" to run well... aka, a decent computer system.

The solution: Turn down the graphics settings.

This makes no difference. My rig is fast, probably faster than yours, and very decent.

I actually used an app to limit my fps to 70 fps rather than let it zoom up to 120 at times, which has made the game run at more reasonable temperatures. It seems SWTOR was pushing my fps at extreme highs at times, not sure if this is when any overheating/increased temperatures occurred.

It just looks to me like if you have a good computer, SWTOR is currently pushing it as far as it will go - aka a stress test.

Edited by lollie

"Most people" also don't post on these forums. Compared to the number of people playing, the people with heat issues are a very, very small group.

But that doesn't even matter. If TOR is stressing your system, either:

A) Reconfigure your system

or

B) Turn down the graphics

If your computer is well over the recommended specs and you're still running poorly... then it's something to do with your system configuration. If your system is near the recommended specs, then you'll have to turn down the graphics until they finish optimizing it.

This makes no difference. My rig is fast, probably faster than yours, and very decent.

I actually used an app to limit my fps to 70 fps rather than let it zoom up to 120 at times, which has made the game run at more reasonable temperatures. It seems SWTOR was pushing my fps at extreme highs at times, not sure if this is when any overheating/increased temperatures occurred.

It just looks to me like if you have a good computer, SWTOR is currently pushing it as far as it will go - aka a stress test.

If that were the case, my computer would be stressed. So would Culveren's.

I would say that it was an issue with the 580, but Culveren has a 580 as well, and his system isn't stressed.

This can only mean that there is something about your system configuration that is causing your problems. Which means it's not because of TOR.

Edited by Kashaan

I am sorry your wrong lol

there was a MMORPG that was out not long ago that was causing hardware overheating on a large scale, where players and the devolopers all knew about it, and it was fixed by the developers.

You might want to go back and read about that incident. Because I'm pretty sure the outcome was determined to be a faulty driver issue . . . .

do you have facts to prove that?

but the point is if that was the case then a majority of everyone who is running the fastest CPUs would be having the same problems... and as that is not the case (proven by numerous people posting they HAVE fast CPUs and have no problem and the majority who HAVE fast CPUs and don't even come to the forums since they have no problem)

What it has to do with fastest CPU? Before patch game was running fine on on my laptop, as it is bit above minimal.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01498014&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3753794

After patch I got it running again buy fixing problem my self. My laptop haven't changed from pre access to 1.0.1 patch and after. It is still same 3 years old laptop.

@lollie:

What's your CPU?

What's your GPU?

What's your PSU?

What resolution do you run at?

What do you have for cooling?

What programs do you run in the background?

Do you overclock?

Running an i7 2600K @4.4gigs, Win7 Ultimate 64bit, 460gtx 1gig, 8gigs 1600 RAM, Asus P8Z68-V motherboard, latest drivers for GPU and motherboard, 700W PSU, 1600x1280 resolution, all settings maxed.

And getting more cooling just to make sure I too can be all oblivious to issues like this when they arise in the future :)

Edited by lollie

Your first post in this thread told me everything I needed to know.

You claimed an i7 2600 at 4.4GHZ - aka, according to my wiki investigation on i7 2600's you've overclocked it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

To be on these forums complaining about heat issues is an insult to the developers. To continue is an insult to the community.

you've overclocked it.

Yes it's overclocked, hence why I noticed the issue existed before you did. The issue exists on your computer too, just your CPU isn't producing enough heat, nor being forced to work at ridiculously high outputs for no reason just because it can, by the SWTOR client.

Edited by lollie

Running an i7 2600K @4.4gigs, Win7 Ultimate 64bit, 460gtx 1gig, 8gigs 1600 RAM, Asus P8Z68-V motherboard, latest drivers for GPU and motherboard, 700W PSU, 1600x1280 resolution, all settings maxed.

And getting more cooling just to make sure I too can be all oblivious to issues like this when they arise in the future :)

Well, the main thing that screams out here are your over-clocked CPU and your 460. The 460 is supposed to be above recommended specs, and should theoretically be able to max it.

However, as we've admitted, the game isn't well-optimized yet. So your 460 has to work harder. The solution is to turn down your graphics until they finish optimizing.

You also failed to state what programs you run in the background, that could have a bearing.

Yes it's overclocked, hence why I noticed the issue existed before you did. The issue exists on your computer too, just your CPU isn't producing enough heat, nor being forced to work at ridiculously high outputs for no reason just because it can, by the SWTOR client.

Soooo...run that by me again.

I'm running my CPU at recommended levels (it's an i7 2600 as well), and you say it's not producing excessive heat or working ridiculously.

You're running a CPU beyond its recommended parameters and experiencing heat problems.

*scratches head* This is Bioware's problem?

This game does not cause your hardware to overheat, thats as much as a fact as it can be. You can all keep saying that it does, but the facts are out there, that people with the same setups do not have the problems you are having

Pretty much my thoughts - I'm going to do some testing with CoreTemp to make sure because I think if a segment of the community believes something that's so easy to test then I may as well look before I dismiss. However, my motherboard warning temps are all set at the lowest and it's never warned/crashed.

Pretty much my thoughts - I'm going to do some testing with CoreTemp to make sure because I think if a segment of the community believes something that's so easy to test then I may as well look before I dismiss. However, my motherboard warning temps are all set at the lowest and it's never warned/crashed.

Speaking for myself the problem hasn't caused me to receive any alerts, or crash, but it causes my GPU cooler to run at maximum speed. This wouldn't normally worry me but the only other piece of software that does this to my machine is Furmark, no other game pushes me beyond about 60% fan speed.

I also get the impression some people are complaining about CPUs and some people are complaining about graphics cards, in my case I'd like to emphasise that it's the graphics card.

Lucky me, I have software that controls my fan speed based on GPU temperature.

No overheating here. 12 days /played, no crashes, no irregular temperatures, no nothing.

Then again, I open my case and blow the dust out every week. Willing to bet nearly 0% of the people here do that.