Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I sometimes wonder if Bioware has secret accounts on this forum with which they make posts defending themselves, this post just makes me believe it more.

lol seriously? Do you think the programming involved in an MMO is as simple as stuffing your mouth full of marshmallows? The more complex a thing is, the more difficult it is, the longer it takes to plan, the longer it takes to test, the longer it takes to implement. That should be common sense.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that Bioware has some nefarious conspiracy going on to steal all your money and free time, but jeez...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever wondered if the reason they removed high resolution textures was to alleviate another problem they are currently working on?

Playable wookies?

Gungans vs Ewoks RTS mini-game?

Edited by tekdev

So basically we're now finding out that EAware has decided to be the first and only company in history to use DRM in an mmo? Frakkin' figures.

And if this DRM/remote rendering/whatever means that my bandwidth usage gets exponentially increased because the game has to constantly stream crap to my computer, I WILL be unsubscribing simply because I'm not going to feed EAware $15 a month and give them the right to use up my bandwidth for their stupid system on top of it.

In fact, I really want to know if there is noticeably higher bandwidth usage compared to other mmos because many people do have bandwidth caps to contend with.

That I dont know, I do know, that if anyone uses my home network, like my girlfriend is checking her email on a 20Mb connection, swtor latency goes up to 20000 and becomes absolutely unplayable.

This problem is non existent with any other mmo, or any other software, only TOR.

I sometimes wonder if Bioware has secret accounts on this forum with which they make posts defending themselves, this post just makes me believe it more.

Riight someone disagrees with your idiotic post where you only flame and all of a sudden he is a Bioware employee.

Someone with similar level of paranoia to yours might make an assumption that you are a Blizzard employee since you have nothing but bad things to say?

lol seriously? Do you think the programming involved in an MMO is as simple as stuffing your mouth full of marshmallows? The more complex a thing is, the more difficult it is, the longer it takes to plan, the longer it takes to test, the longer it takes to implement. That should be common sense.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that Bioware has some nefarious conspiracy going on to steal all your money and free time, but jeez...

You are not a programmer, are you? Or maybe a bad one.

Your statement simply is not true if the system is well designed.

I assume you meen the ability delay problem or the horrid performance alot of people are getting.

Quite possibly :eek:

Could indeed be. How about putting the cards on the table before trying to trick us with fake Medium/High settings. That is what makes it a tad bitter. And no I will NOT stop playing - I love the game and want it to be at its best looks if at all possible. Thanks.

What they had to do to not rip-off the customers was either fix it during the time where you would (as a company) normally fix this, during the beta, or delay the game 3months giving you nice breathing room.

But they didn't care about the customers having a nice experience so they cashed in on christmas knowing full well this game was far from ready (even for an mmo)

Riight someone disagrees with your idiotic post where you only flame and all of a sudden he is a Bioware employee.

Someone with similar level of paranoia to yours might make an assumption that you are a Blizzard employee since you have nothing but bad things to say?

Never owned a blizzard game, nice try though, mr.Bioware employee.

I'm not the one going around licking company's boots, most of the Bioware fanbase does, it honestly makes me curious as to how much **** someone can get thrown in his face before they say STOP!!! i'm not taking it anymore.

Honestly I'm of the opinion the game was rushed out the door to meet the holiday sales season. It should have remained in BETA until these server side lag was resolved, until guild features were implemented and until they had a more robust pvp system (matchmaking and gear path). I don't pvp either by the way.

Only difference between me and you is that A) your taking everything personal and B) you think your issue is top priority and easy to fix. I think the game is a few months away from being playable at level 50 and I think they are working on problems with the engine / servers that the community isn't fully aware of yet.

I am not rude only direct. YOUR priorities matter only IF they actually help getting this resolved regardless where YOU see the priorities. Atheist and level headed is a contradiction btw.

No you're pretty rude and single minded. I already got a level headed response to my post from a nice fellow who feels the textures are the biggest issue for him at this time. I can relate perfectly with his post. I'll be polite and say it this way: your nerd raging in no way helps the dev team resolve issues.

P.S. I am certified IT Engineer to add to the pissing contest and EVERYTHING can be fixed. Any other statement is just laughable LOL

So your tech support installing windows?

Edited by Pyretechnic

Honestly I'm of the opinion the game was rushed out the door to meet the holiday sales season. It should have remained in BETA until these server side lag was resolved, until guild features were implemented and until they had a more robust pvp system (matchmaking and gear path). I don't pvp either by the way.

Only difference between me and you is that A) your taking everything personal and B) you think your issue is top priority and easy to fix. I think the game is a few months away from being playable at level 50 and I think they are working on problems with the engine / servers that the community isn't fully aware of yet.

I'm not taking anything personal, it's just a game, what i am upset about is that we're paying for it, if this all gets fixed within a month the good thing to do would be Bioware giving a free month but thats never going to happen.

And yes i do consider stuff like horrible fps/combat delay/missing graphical functions high priority considering any decent developer could have fixed these issues by now.

Edited by mesha

The key phrase, make us aware then don't try and pull the wool over our eyes, this thread would never have existed if they had not tried the latter.

1 word:

Consoles

Yeah that does seem to be the bane of games that at one point or another have involved a possibility of going to console. Graphics and/or UI seem to suffer for the PC version. DCUO was a perfect example of that.

Yeah that does seem to be the bane of games that at one point or another have involved a possibility of going to console. Graphics and/or UI seem to suffer for the PC version. DCUO was a perfect example of that.

Battlefield 3 too. A lot of PC games nowadays feel like ports of console games. Its a shame really. SWTOR does feel heavy and laggy and I have a hard time understanding why.

The key phrase, make us aware then don't try and pull the wool over our eyes, this thread would never have existed if they had not tried the latter.

I learned long ago not to get too technical with clients. The less they know the less idiotic input they spout. Yes I know it sounds bad but truth be told most people think software development is magic and everything can be done easily and quickly. Its hard for people to understand, clients and managers alike, that something that may seem so simple to implement can take so long and cause so many unwanted repercussions.

I don't know what's going on in BW or the game's code base. I do know they have issues they are working on. They pull long hours to make this game.

Despite my respect for the dev team I'm pretty disappointed in their management / direction team. The game should not have been rushed out to meet the holiday sales. And they should have expected people to level quickly.

Edited by Pyretechnic

That I dont know, I do know, that if anyone uses my home network, like my girlfriend is checking her email on a 20Mb connection, swtor latency goes up to 20000 and becomes absolutely unplayable.

This problem is non existent with any other mmo, or any other software, only TOR.

She aint watching emails bro ;).

Joke aside, i have that latency issue aswell, but not only with TOR. So it's not TOR, but what your GF does or something. My latency goes up when one of my parents laptop is been turned on. If i only close the laptop my latency goes back to normal. Must be the pr0n or whatever virus my parents installed on their ancient laptop, lol.

Never owned a blizzard game, nice try though, mr.Bioware employee.

Very intelligent post mr.Troll, they should give you a Pulitzer prize for your unparalleled writing skills and overall contribution to this particular topic.

Very intelligent post mr.Troll, they should give you a Pulitzer prize for your unparalleled writing skills and overall contribution to this particular topic.

^Someone's noticably upset.

Edited by mesha

No you're pretty rude and single minded. I already got a level headed response to my post from a nice fellow who feels the textures are the biggest issue for him at this time. I can relate perfectly with his post. I'll be polite and say it this way: your nerd raging in no way helps the dev team resolve issues.

It boils down to lack of expierence in the MMO market. They dont have the skilled people in MMO structure and framework that some of these other companies have point blank. noth that BW people suck its more of a EA problem , no one wanted to work for them after the War fiasco. most of the talent from Mythic SWG and Sony are at trion studios now, and your seeing the difference in how fast teams can react to situations like this. rifts engine did not have AA or high res textures in on any of the weekend betas but its last. and come launch day its biggest problem for 2 weeks was 8 hour que's. but its graphic engine had zero AA issues and texture problems. Not saying some did not expierence coompatability issues but its engine was rock solid.

OMG! I said I would not go further into this but now you just made it happen.

NO! I do not just install Windows. I create, design and implement server systems, direct-connect solutions, inter-site connectivity and backbone systems. I have around 25 years experience in customer service and IT and I believe I out qualify on a professional level anything you can throw at me.

So whatever you say mate. LOL

P.S. Last post. I leave the debate. Gets silly now with 'contributors' like you.

Peace!

Back to Hoth. :p

Sorry BW this post was not constructive but necessary.

Edited by mArchangel

If true...copy protection. The system appears to be designed to prevent people from copying the models.

Sorry, but: AHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Now that that's said I'm really glad the "beautiful models" are safely protected from "us hackers", and I'm sure everyone of "us criminals" happily pays the price of ugly graphics so that the precious and absolutely wonderfully stunning graphics (that we can't see) are secure.

Seriously. Email, adress, credit card number, phone number, security key.. and yet we're still being treatened as potential criminals and must suffer for that.

I'm all against piracy and stuff, but the gaming industry is making it pretty damn hard to continue being against it if we, the paying customers, are CONSTANTLY suffering under their measures against it, while people who pirate stuff do so anyways, just with a minor inconvenience.

Edited by Crassius

It boils down to lack of expierence in the MMO market. They dont have the skilled people in MMO structure and framework that some of these other companies have point blank. noth that BW people suck its more of a EA problem , no one wanted to work for them after the War fiasco. most of the talent from Mythic SWG and Sony are at trion studios now, and your seeing the difference in how fast teams can react to situations like this. rifts engine did not have AA or high res textures in on any of the weekend betas but its last. and come launch day its biggest problem for 2 weeks was 8 hour que's. but its graphic engine had zero AA issues and texture problems. Not saying some did not expierence coompatability issues but its engine was rock solid.

Sorry but your wrong a lot of mythic and past SWG guys are on SWTOR and a great number have been since day 1. When you have a few hours spare take a look at the credits there will be a great number of names you may recognise from both SWG and WAR or linkedin the names. Not saying Rift doesnt have a load also but to say Bioware doesnt have experience mmo employees is incorrect.

As for Rift its odd that most had no issues I couldnt even put Rift on high settings never mind ultra high my same laptop that runs BF3 on ultra would overheat within seconds with Rift set to high or above even at medium it got hot and chugged.

Edited by thamightyboro

Battlefield 3 too. A lot of PC games nowadays feel like ports of console games. Its a shame really. SWTOR does feel heavy and laggy and I have a hard time understanding why.

I learned long ago not to get too technical with clients. The less they know the less idiotic input they spout. Yes I know it sounds bad but truth be told most people think software development is magic and everything can be done easily and quickly. Its hard for people to understand, clients and managers alike, that something that may seem so simple to implement can take so long and cause so many unwanted repercussions.

I don't know what's going on in BW or the game's code base. I do know they have issues they are working on. They pull long hours to make this game.

Despite my respect for the dev team I'm pretty disappointed in their management / direction team. The game should not have been rushed out to meet the holiday sales. And they should have expected people to level quickly.

Well then. A post of yours I could not agree more with. Maybe we become friends afterall. :)

Hey all, I am here to apologize again... the good news is we have a draft of our response (you might be able to guess it's not a sentence or two) but I am circulating it internally to ensure my technical details are correct.

To give you an insight into our process here... as the Community team does with most big replies, I tracked down a variety of people on our client and art teams to get the facts on how the game works before putting the post together. As I'm representing those teams publicly, I want to ensure they're happy with what I'm saying on their behalf before I post it. They're busy people, so I'm just waiting on their sign-off right now.

I appreciate your patience and assuming we have sign-off this evening, you'll get our response tomorrow. If not, I accept the incoming rotten eggs. :)

Patience is fine and good, though the tenor of this post makes it sound like the precursor to a formal explanation of why high res textures ultimately won't be included in the game. Am perfectly happy waiting for official word, though I hope it doesn't come with a defeatist attitude. I love BioWare and have a lot of confidence in this game. That said, them throwing in the towel on something that should be a standard in this day and age, that coincidentally a standard in the product of your main competitor, would give me a significant level of apprehension about the future of this game as it demonstrates a corner-cutting attitude, either in the present as a consequence of mismanagement, or in the past, as a consequence of poor design choices.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that! Positive mental attitude! :D

SWTOR was made using the Hero engine, a brand new 3rd party game engine built from the ground up to focus on developer tools and concurrent editing. Its a very nice software for working on level design, as several modelers can work on the same level at the same time without stepping on each others' toes (necessary for huge MMO zones).

That said, any time you have a brand new game engine, its going to be a little inefficient, a little sluggish. And any time you have a company making a game using another company's software, you're going to have some inefficiencies. Combine the two, and bam.

Go look at the first games to come out for the Source engine, for instance. They took up HUGE amounts of memory, and ran really slow. They had bugs everywhere. Now steam games are rock solid, as they've had time to iron out the details.

Software is crazy, crazy complicated. If you haven't worked with it, then I can only say that you're probably massively underestimating how hard it is, because there are so many games on the market, it seems easy to accomplish. Trust me, its not.

Give em time.