The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Would Vanguard be a decent DPS choice?

Assasin_Hunter

I already have a Commando Trooper and know that its DPS is really good, but if I was to create another trooper and choose the Vanguard AC, and go down the Assault tree, would that be decent DPS as well? Or should I just stick with tanking? I'd rather not go with tanking because I'm just not that great at it hehe :D

You can get great DPS with the Vanguard and keep almost all of it 30m range. Don't let people fool you about Vanguard DPS. You can run a mostly Assault Spec build with some other stuff and easily top Commando damage.

I do it all of the time in WZs. In fact, I'd argue that Vanguards consistently out damage Commandos in a set of period of time especially if you work your DoTs correctly.

Assault does very good damage. Only issue is ammo regen which people tend to screw up by going hogwild on every proc that pops up, but that's a skill thing, not a class thing really. Tactics is rather fun too, if a little weird and not for everybody. You can also run a very exciting 23/18 or thereabouts Shield/Assault - uses tanking cell, hits respectably, can storm. Nothing on the burst front, really, but it's durable and with just a touch of healing will continue going to town on people long after everybody else is spent.

Also: medals. You will get millions of freaking medals. Billions even.

Just take into account that Vanguard takes some getting used to. Not a very typical playstyle in any spec, which is why you will find just as many lovers as haters :).

Assault cannons have a significant flat damage advantage over blaster rifles. Those telling you their DPS specced vanguard beats DPS specced commandos at DPS are wrong or full of it.

Those telling you dps class 1 is better than dps class 2 becase they have bigger weapons are full of it.

Those telling you dps class 1 is better than dps class 2 becase they have bigger weapons are full of it.

If Assault Cannons have higher damage, then wouldn't the one wielding the Assault Cannon have the higher DPS potential. You could have the same abilities, but the edge would go to the person who's weapon does more damage. No one is crapping all over Vanguard DPS and saying it's useless DPS. Vanguards can do great DPS, but you have to look at the specs and abilities that are unique to each advanced class. Commando's appear to have the higher DPS potential. Like I said though, it doesn't make Vanguard DPS moot since it brings a different set of skills.

That's the point of advanced classes. You can fill a shared role. One advanced class might have better potential at it, but since the advanced classes get different abilities, then it's different enough to make it viable.

You can get great DPS with the Vanguard and keep almost all of it 30m range. Don't let people fool you about Vanguard DPS. You can run a mostly Assault Spec build with some other stuff and easily top Commando damage.

I do it all of the time in WZs. In fact, I'd argue that Vanguards consistently out damage Commandos in a set of period of time especially if you work your DoTs correctly.

can you name what spec and skills you use to outdps a ranged dps class with a vanguard at 30m ?

Edited by Psionic_X

can you name what spec and skills you use to outdps a ranged dps class with a vanguard at 30m ?

He said keep almost all of it. At 30m and equal settings duking it out a commando should out dps a vanguard. Its just that vanguards aren't useless out of melee range, they can and will put a hurt down at 30m range just not at their full potential.

Saying commando's out dps vans in any setting is just false. Properly played vans put out some serious damage at 50.

i still dont understand what skills a vanguard uses at 30m to dish out damage, thats why i asked.

im seeing base trooper skills like hammering shot and full auto without any talents to make them stronger. we all know what kind of awesome damage a hammering shot deals (162/219/187), FA wihout any talents from gunnery buffing it is also pretty mute.

i dont see how a vanguard at 30m, is more valid than a commando at melee range since the commando also has the trooper baseline skills (stockstrike/plasma canon).

when i watch vanguard pvp vids on youtube, most of them use hammering shot at range, well if that is the glorious "start at 30m then close in" shot, im wondering how long they would think it takes to kill someone with 14k hp when you hammer shot at him for 200 a tick.

i dont play a vanguard as of yet, im just looking at the skills and abilitys on various database sites as well as youtube vids.

feel free to educate me.

:rolleyes:

I stomp all over equal level/gear commando dps players. Assault line vanguard spits out dps like it's going out of style.

Now try assault specced commando, it is their shared tree after all, and grants the same dots, with a higher base damage from their canon.

i still dont understand what skills a vanguard uses at 30m to dish out damage, thats why i asked.

Have you ever read any of the skills' tool tips? You can get them to pop-up by simply hovering over their associated icon.

• Brutal Impact
  • Steely Resolve
  • Focused Impact
  • High Friction Bolts
  • Incendiary Round
  • Ionic Accelerator
  • Assault Trooper
  • Rain of Fire
  • Assault Plastique

A DPS specced Vanguard going for range is going to be built around HIB. We can get up to 90% armor penetration with our HIBs plus damage and crit damage upgrades for it.

The trick to a ranged DPS Vanguard that rocks in PvP is pimping out Ion Cell, picking up everything to do with HIB, and then just running up the Assault Spec tree.

I can 1v1 any BH Merc all day and come out with 50% of my health at the end of the encounter. Plus the only melee range abilities I even need to bother with are Stockstrike and Pulse Cannon and that's only if they close to melee for some cockamamie reason.

Edited by Cavadus

people seem to have their stats confused here, a vanguard CANNOT have higher DPS than a commando, can it have higher total dmg at the end of a round - yes, as in alot of games tanks can often have far higher total dmg than a dps class due to their survivability keeoping them in the fight longer so it adds up more,

what people seem to be doing here is not knowing that DPS and damage are 2 different things, DPS OR DAMAGE PER SECOND has nothing in common with total damage done at the end of a round.

simply put a commando has higher dps / burst dmg and can heal so is a high priority target for most, a tank who has considerably lower dps / burst and takes more effort to kill is not, so they are left alone alot more and are able to keep their respectable - but lower - dmg going nearly all the time which by the end of the match shows them to of done more damage.

end of the day, score sheets dont really tell the whole story - at an extreme example someone laying down 50k damage slowly that doesnt kill anything outright and is all healed away isnt as useful as someone dishing out 25k and killing 2 people as it was to fast to be healed.

so to sum up, please stop being confused and saying a vanguard can out dps a commando, youll give new players the wrong idea, as your total damage done is not your dps, its merely you being in the fight longer doing less dps that has added up.

laters

Monk

Being that I have a shield specced vanguard and a gunny commando, I'll tell you from my experience that commando outdamage vanguard, BUT, the vanguard lives longer so the damage numbers to numbers comes out about the same.

If you want to do raw damage, roll commando. If you want to be a gnat and earn damage because everyone is ignoring you, roll a vanguard.

Edited by Lyability

Alright, been a while since I last responded to this thread. So, should anymore read this, I intended to use this Vanguard mainly for regular storyline quests first off and maybe some PVP at later levels. I've looked over and decided a build I thought was decent, using mainly tactics. Another question now I have is should I always try to get more aim then Endurance? Or does it matter that I have a bit/a lot more endurance than aim? Thanks for all the help so far though!

its awesome in 1 vs 1

Which happens approximately never. Unless you're on a PvP server I guess.

Being that I have a shield specced vanguard and a gunny commando, I'll tell you from my experience that commando outdamage vanguard, BUT, the vanguard lives longer so the damage numbers to numbers comes out about the same.

If you want to do raw damage, roll commando. If you want to be a gnat and earn damage because everyone is ignoring you, roll a vanguard.

Obviously a DPS spec commando will out damage a tank spec Vanguard and the tank is going to have better survivability. This a bit like telling us your boat floats better than your car. Yeah, duh. That has absolutely nothing to do with the question of whether the DPS specs are equal though.

Alright, been a while since I last responded to this thread. So, should anymore read this, I intended to use this Vanguard mainly for regular storyline quests first off and maybe some PVP at later levels. I've looked over and decided a build I thought was decent, using mainly tactics. Another question now I have is should I always try to get more aim then Endurance? Or does it matter that I have a bit/a lot more endurance than aim? Thanks for all the help so far though!

If you're a DPS spec aim is obviously going to be more important. It's the tank's job to take damage.

Edited by Game_Hermit

Simply, your not going to get the same dps as your commando. Its average with the vanguard.

Incorrect. It (should be) is the same dps output, just a different playstyle considering the Vanguard's abilities.

Honestly when I roll my second trooper I will go Vanguard Tactics.