We need a central hub!!! C'mon Bioware!

x-jay

My first MMO was Ultima Online. Everyone hung out at the bank in Britain.

Afterwards I played horde on WoW, and everyone hung outside the bank at Orgrimmar (and later the expansion cities).

SWTOR really needs a central hangout. Maybe a huge player bar on Nar Shaddaa? Then we have somewhere to hang, and we can spruce Nar Shaddaa.

Two birds one stone!

(I know we have the fleets, but they don't feel like the previous mentioned hangouts)

Edited by x-jay

My first MMO was Ultima Online. Everyone hung out at the bank in Britain.

Afterwards I played horde on WoW, and everyone hung outside the bank at Orgrimmar (and later the expansion cities).

SWTOR really needs a central hangout. Maybe a huge player bar on Nar Shaddaa? Then we have somewhere to hang, and we can spruce Nar Shaddaa.

Two birds one stone!

(I know we have the fleets, but they don't feel like the previous mentioned hangouts)

Well the places exist, the community just doesn't use them.

in my experience, the vast majority of people playing this game haven't yet realized there are other players playing it.

The fleets are the worst thing I've ever seen to a central hub. Why the hell did they add so many social spots etc then make them useless with the fleets? I loathe the fleet, they lack class and feel.

Thats why Nar Shaddaa is the perfect place :)

Maybe we don't NEED it, but everyone wants to improve the game in some way or other. If theres anywhere this game fails its the amount of trolling this forum suffers, we could certainly do with some positive interaction from people who actually pay for and play the game.

I remember when they added the fleets in beta. Before that, we *REALLY* didn't have a hang-out hub. The fleet definitely IS the hangout hub. The GTN is there, the flashpoints are there, the PVP daily terminal is there, crafting vendors and trainers are there, your ship is there, the cantina is in the middle with an elevator to the VIP area. The whole thing is a rested area. It's got everything.

If you want them to make vaiken spacedock feel more like a hang-out, you're going to need to describe why it's not one to you now. Otherwise, there's no reason to think any other hangout they make will be different. Before the fleets, nobody hung out in any cantina's btw, for those of you curious. I never saw another player in the nexus room in beta, even though that's where you had to go to learn slicing.

So ask yourself what's wrong with vaiken and carrick. Is it that not enough people on it? Is it that it's not on a planet? Is it feels too big and spread out for you?

The fleet is definitely the current hang out.

Edited by Suzina

I remember when they added the fleets in beta. Before that, we *REALLY* didn't have a hang-out hub. The fleet definitely IS the hangout hub. The GTN is there, the flashpoints are there, the PVP daily terminal is there, crafting vendors and trainers are there, your ship is there, the cantina is in the middle with an elevator to the VIP area. The whole thing is a rested area. It's got everything.

If you want them to make vaiken spacedock feel more like a hang-out, you're going to need to describe why it's not one to you now. Otherwise, there's no reason to think any other hangout they make will be empty. Is it that not enough people on it? Is it that it's not on a planet? Is it feels too big and spread out for you?

Good post. Maybe its a charm thing. There is little in the way of charm with the fleets; with so much lore and iconic settings at their fingertips, there is certainly more they can do I feel. But the devs will improve these things in time if people are vocal enough :)

If you want them to make vaiken spacedock feel more like a hang-out, you're going to need to describe why it's not one to you now. Otherwise, there's no reason to think any other hangout they make will be different. Before the fleets, nobody hung out in any cantina's btw, for those of you curious. I never saw another player in the nexus room in beta, even though that's where you had to go to learn slicing.

So ask yourself what's wrong with vaiken and carrick. Is it that not enough people on it? Is it that it's not on a planet? Is it feels too big and spread out for you?

This.

^^^ This

This isn't WoW and we most certainly do not need a place for people to hang out waiting for their Dungeon to pop. :rolleyes:

I love the fact that I see players on all the planets not just Coruscant; it was so sad last night I logged back on to WoW to help a friend with one of his dailies and there hanging around the fountain in Stormwind were about 25 faithful all talking about how fail SWTOR was as tumble weeds blew down the street of what was the most populated EC server; just to see I flew to Ironforge and there was not a single player there because Blizzard had killed the need to be there a couple years back...because they thought a central hub would be a good idea.

So no...just no.

I gotta agree that, in my opinion, the station was a poor choice for setting up a social hub.

Perhaps if places like Nar Shadda's plaza had some of the missing facilities then it might become a hub on its own (e.g. GTN terminals for both factions as well as the Hutt Trade Network).

The problem is though that a lot of the flashpoint entrances are on the fleet too.

I'd also love to ask the devs why they felt that the game needed 3 separate GTN's. After all, its supposed to be a "Galactic" Trade Network.

Edited by Tarka

Ok the biggest point is still being missed. The devs in those other games didnt decide where the players were going to meet up and gather, the players did during natural gameplay.

so grab your sign and picket the location you want... or do you want bioware to send a rep over to your house and play the game for you as well?

C'mon Bioware! why havent you cured cancer yet or made a time machine or something...... you obviously failed at this game by not spelling out the social location for us to hang out.

The fleet "feels" very far away from the rest of the game. I think that has to do with travel times (i.e., getting back to the spaceport on the planet, then running to your dock, load screen, then ship, load screen, then travel to fleet, then exit ship, load screen, then walk to elevator, load screen ...). It feels remote, and feels like a PITA to get there. No quick travel other than the emergency fleet pass (and security key fleet pass) adds to the issue of its remoteness.

Ok the biggest point is still being missed. The devs in those other games didnt decide where the players were going to meet up and gather, the players did during natural gameplay.

so grab your sign and picket the location you want... or do you want bioware to send a rep over to your house and play the game for you as well?

C'mon Bioware! why havent you cured cancer yet or made a time machine or something...... you obviously failed at this game by not spelling out the social location for us to hang out.

lol. I see you fit the criteria of the reason we need such a thing right on the button.

Edited by x-jay

I dont think there was supposed to an "official centeral hang out hub" in the game. They wanted us to have small planet hubs, places where things were centralized on each planet usually the spaceport or the larger settlements. You cant do missions and all that to level sitting cozy on a fleet ship the whole time. The central cantina though is a nice place if only others actually would go there or maybe a spot closer to all the flashpoint portals.

I was more concerned that the world itself just does not feel alive, all you have is a few npc and enemies that generally stand still, sometimes walk back and forth. And well one or two players running by on their mounts from time to time.

Wish the world actually felt alive, you know space ships landing in the space port as you run by, people running up to them to unload their cargo, taxis flying around in cities unloading people that go on with their business. Stuff like that.

Even if its too hard to add those things throughout all the planets, atleast in the main hub they would be great. But as it is the fleet is just a big metal room with many vendors in it.

Edited by failr

Well the places exist, the community just doesn't use them.

in my experience, the vast majority of people playing this game haven't yet realized there are other players playing it.

thats not the communities fault though they designed this for a highly single player expierence ther is no denying it MMO was an after thought. the whole game sis designed around class stories the MMO part is lacking , lets not deny that. the game is good its just not really a true MMO its a hybrid theme park BW single player game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.