The Secret to Guardian Tanking

seraphimm

It's not only the difference between OS and GS, and the presence of unremitting in the Vigilance tree that we base our decision to go deep into the Vigilance tree to tank. Truth is, the upper tiers of the defense tree aren't really that useful. From what I hear, and I'm sure you have read this as well, Blade Barrier is sub par. I consider Inner Focus rather useless. And cyclonic sweeps isn't really that useful either since I find myself, at least at 25, focus saturated, so there is no need to use inner focus anytime in a fight. Stasis Mastery and Force Clap aren't terribly useful in PvE either, only in PvP. Even in PvP, Force Stasis with its 3 second duration isn't really all that useful.

Truth is, the upper tiers don't offer that much, not as much as the vigilance tree, hence why the majority of us, and probably myself included, will be going deep into that tree until things are changed.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another equalizer would be if guardian slash ALSO added an instance of Blade Barrier.

Even in Blade barrier's weak form, 2 separate ways to make it proc would change things heavily

I was thinking of making blade barrier a set of charges, something like the gunslingers ballistic dampers. Just keep the duration below that of the Blade Storm cooldown.

I was thinking of making blade barrier a set of charges, something like the gunslingers ballistic dampers. Just keep the duration below that of the Blade Storm cooldown.

Death Knight Bone Shield type situation.

That changes the mechanics of everything almost completely. That would go a long way if they added a perk that temporarily increased your ability to parry/block. Because then you could time this and that to extend the amount of charges.

Maybe a change to Inner peace as well?

This is all supposition. they haven't really changed a thing in the guardian's world since they took Force Pull away from us (Which kind of irritated me since they let the Bounty hunter's keep the grappling hook, but I understand there needs to be a way to make the Jedi able to be kited.

Anyway; lots of Ideas here, probably won't be read by anyone that can/will suggest changes.

Information will flow better as we approach higher levels

Truth is, the upper tiers of the defense tree aren't really that useful.

I want to emphasize this for all future posts suggesting talent point allotments -- the problem IS this, exactly. The upper tiers, instead of providing role defining abilities, or specific purpose additions/modifications to core additions, is really nothing but fluff and flavor currently.

This is the thing I find the most frustrating in the tree, in that TOR is designed for deep play in each tree to fill out a role -- by definition, being a hybrid should provide more options, not better tools by which to handle tanks (with a defined defense tree).

Edited by Drakks

Hello m8. Thanks a lot for this guide :p I am so excited because I have missed so bad the freedom for true hybrid Builds!No need to tell you from which game I am coming but I love the freedom of the current talent trees and people (like the OP) who can think out of the box :p I will definitely gonna try this when I get my early access :p

I would hope for more guides like this for other classes as well though, next char will be a Jedi Shadow :p so Empire players watch your back!

EDIT : Are you planning to make a similar guide for a Jedi Shadow tank?Since you are playing all kind of tanks :p

Edited by Ampalaea

Nice post, very interesting to read. I had not considered Vigilance as anything other than DPS, but clearly it is much more. The question I have is just how long this will last, as it seems to go completely against everything they said they wanted to achieve with talent builds in this game.

Good stuff!

Nice post, very interesting to read. I had not considered Vigilance as anything other than DPS, but clearly it is much more. The question I have is just how long this will last, as it seems to go completely against everything they said they wanted to achieve with talent builds in this game.

Good stuff!

Who knows. It's particularly difficult because they've explicitly said that they plan to do a major revamp of the Guardian and Warrior classes soon after launch. I just hope that any revamp actually makes things better and doesn't ruin us.

I could just see it... "Oh, people are tanking with Vigilance, can't have that." Then the Vigilance defensive skills are nerfed or changed to something dumb like adding an insignificant DOT to Riposte.

I could just see it... "Oh, people are tanking with Vigilance, can't have that." Then the Vigilance defensive skills are nerfed or changed to something dumb like adding an insignificant DOT to Riposte.

Ugh, if they "fix" Defense by nerfing Vigilance I will have to think twice about playing this game. That would seriously stink.

I'd like to thank you for your guide. As a player who is relatively new to MMOs there are a lot of things that I was struggling with in this game. I played in a couple of the weekend betas and did fairly well, but I knew that I was in a bit over my head. I had taken it upon myself to look up MMO glossaries, guides and wikis just to understand some of the higher concepts of the game and how it worked.

I knew that I wanted my main to be a tank, something about the idea of the play style is appealing. I was; however, unsure of the skills and the skill trees. A lot of the tool tips seemed to assume that I knew a little bit more than I did and I had to play around to truly understand what they did.

This guide from top to bottom was very enlightening, not just about a new way to tank (well aside from what I was seeing in some places as the "norm") but was also really easy for me to understand. Whether or not I follow all of your advice isn't the point, you helped me to understand a lot of the different perks and skills that I didn't fully understand, and you did it in a very easy to understand way.

I find myself repeating this a lot around these threads, but it's really nice to see some people who are gracious enough to take the time to offer help or suggestions to the community. One of the things I've always admired about the concept of MMOs is the community, but so often people can't be bothered or worse are belligerent. This was probably one of the best threads I've seen on these boards (not just the OP but the replies).

tl;dr

Awesome-Job-Happy-Time :o

Seraphimm my Hero :D !

I have wanted to try out tanking for a while, and this guide made my day!

From the first time I started playing MMO, the one with Elves And Orcs not set in LOTRO universe, I have never understood why combining two trees is a no go.

This time i have gotten my wish, and t(h)anks to you for pointing it out!

Currently at lvl 18, and I have noticed my DPS and Treath increasing without loosing any survivablilty.

congrats for the effort , very good guide and nice sense of humour , i enjoyed them all.

i played guardian at both beta weekends goin 28lvl and i was near ur guide oriented before i read forums.

i noticed tho that other players in group didnt adapt swtor tank mechanisms and they got surpised when i was jumping between 2 groups to keep aggro from both while "healer" was dpsing and screaming that we already dead because of my tanking.. etc etc heheh

was fun, flashpoint ended succesfully , got new beta friends and was proud of guardian jedi's.

at pvp, things were kinda harsh at begining , me goin at front not geting healed at all. later on i stayed back and when the heat started rising i leaped inside the panic and start using sweeps and ice slow down thingy and clearing the area of bad bad siths.

overall jedi guardian is a challenging class that gonna surpise and entertain the group while "flashpointing" and warzoning :)