Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

I predict the first space improvement will be something like that:

Thinking about a Space Mission Co-Op Flashpoint:

- You have a group of 4-8 players.

- You are starting out from the fleet with your group and enter a big, walkable destroyer or other flagship. Some mission briefing officer tells you on board what the situation is and that you are heading for some planet surface mission.

- Suddenly - the ship get´s attacked out of nowhere.. you run to the windows and see a giant fleet just came out of hyperspace.

- Some of the NPC crewmembers died - now YOU and the group need to head to the turrets and unleash the imperial firepower on the attackers

- You succeed.

- Have a quick beer in the ship´s cantina and watch some Huttball

- The ship continues to the planet surface, you get out and do a ground mission which is the second part of the flashpoint.

The only kind of "fun" rail mission I can imagine.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict there will be a different game coming from LucasArts which takes care of the Space-Sim and/or sandbox universe fans.

I could live with an updated X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. Maybe put it into an MMO-style group-effort package while allowing solo missions as well...

I could live with an updated X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. Maybe put it into an MMO-style group-effort package while allowing solo missions as well...

That would be great... at least it should be an unlockable minigame... put an oldschool game computer in cantinas and let me play this awesome game.

The problem is an updated X-wing vs Tie Fighter (in the sense that the current space combat is an updated Star Fox [1993]) would utterly blow away the current space combat.

The problem is an updated X-wing vs Tie Fighter (in the sense that the current space combat is an updated Star Fox [1993]) would utterly blow away the current space combat.

For the people who enjoy the on-rails stuff, they should really keep it in some way.

But the juddering spaceship movement should be fixed anyway.

Space Combat?? Is there Space Combat in this Game? I havent found it yet.Maybe i will have too look harder :-)

No, no space combat here... There is tunnel shooting-fish-in-a-barrel which pretends to be space combat, but since there is no space involved, then it can't be space combat.

Having something to compare it to in a way measureable by metrics would show them just how big they messed up.

My theory is, the TOR rail-shooter is the way it is because of licence limitations!

Top reasons:

1. No developer having a full licence would make the decision to do a simple rail shooter, after SWG had full space combat for years.

2. The other Sony MMO, using a SW licence, "The Clone Wars Adventure" has the SAME dumbed down rail shooter concept

Hints:

LucasArts had several jobs posted for "Open World RPG" and "Space Combat / Flight Simulator"

Conclusion:

LucasArts might be developing a SW open world MMORPG similiar to SWG, including space combat/exploration. Or they work on Battlefront III which could be set in a multiplayer open world too.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

My theory is, the TOR rail-shooter is the way it is because of licence limitations!

Top reasons:

1. No developer having a full licence would make the decision to do a simple rail shooter, after SWG had full space combat for years.

2. The other Sony MMO, using a SW licence, "The Clone Wars Adventure" has the SAME dumbed down rail shooter concept

Hints:

LucasArts had several jobs posted for "Open World RPG" and "Space Combat / Flight Simulator"

Conclusion:

LucasArts might be developing a SW open world MMORPG similiar to SWG, including space combat/exploration. Or they work on Battlefront III which could be set in a multiplayer open world too.

Possibly, but I don't think so. Bioware have never done space combat well in any of their games. Look at Mass Effect 2, for example. You spend, what, millions (?) upgrading your ship, and the only time you get to see it in space combat, it's all a cutscene.

KotOR is another example. You are stuck in a turret shooting at bad guys that follow very strict flight path.

Looking at those, TOR's "space" combat is a big step forward for them. Unfortunately, it is still a pile of sticky brown smelly stuff.

I do, however, hope you are right and we get an open world SW RPG that involves proper space combat.

Edited by dazednconfuzed

I coule of months ago I made a suggestion post of how BioWare could implement a sandbox style game system set in space that would be completely independent and optional from the current game content. I also layed out how they could introduce the system to the game in segments. The thread is in my sig. Check it out and comment if you all would like.

I coule of months ago I made a suggestion post of how BioWare could implement a sandbox style game system set in space that would be completely independent and optional from the current game content. I also layed out how they could introduce the system to the game in segments. The thread is in my sig. Check it out and comment if you all would like.

Last two comments on page 2 of your idea are mine. I said then and I'll say now, I like that idea :)

Yeah the space combat is a wasted opportunity.

Star Wars Tie Fighter cam out in 1994 and look at the gameplay compared to what we have now in this 2012 title.

I actually looked it up on YouTube and realized you're right :)

I would trade the current rail crap without hesitation for multiplayer X-Wing / Tie Fighter as it was back in nineties (well maybe with higher resolution and widescreen) :)

Edited by vandana_

No developer having a full licence would make the decision to do a simple rail shooter, after SWG had full space combat for years.
Seeing how limited this game is in certain areas in order to get a faster release date I believe Bioware is capable of making a whole plethora of bad decisions. Edited by vandana_

I was actually thinking of an entirely separate game. I don't expect they'll ever change the SWTOR Space Combat that much...

I was actually thinking of an entirely separate game. I don't expect they'll ever change the SWTOR Space Combat that much...

The point is to make this game better and more complete, to be able to participate in real, large-scale and amazing space combat with your SWTOR character and with other SWTOR's players within the game. To add a whole aditional layer of player development. To use your guild's capital ship in battles and see it having impact on the outcome of the battle.

And it is up to us to let the dev team know we actually want space combat to be as amazing as the old space sims.

Edited by vandana_

The point is to make this game better and more complete, to be able to participate in real, large-scale and amazing space combat with your SWTOR character and with other SWTOR's players within the game. To add a whole aditional layer of player development. To use your guild's capital ship in battles and see it having impact on the outcome of the battle.

And it is up to us to let the dev team know we actually want space combat to be as amazing as the old space sims.

I wholly agree. I just don't hold much hope of it happening. Space Combat in TOR is so disappointing I haven't bothered since the forst try, but I'd really get into it if they did do it more XvsTie-style. At the very least, tait off the rails, and have the attacks/movement the same as the ground combat (moue movement=ship direction, 1, 2, 3, etc for weapons...) would be a major step in the right direction.

I recently fired up my Wii for a round of good old Gamecube

, because I just needed to fly around in an X-Wing over the Deathstar again after this bitter feeling of space combat incompleteness in TOR.

Boy, that was amazing fun, also the lightning fast chase through the woods of Endor! Compare this to the snail "speeders" we have now, 10 years later. :eek:

3 axis space missions as in Tie fighter etc. are way too easy and cheap to make but 100x fun than what we have now.

On the other hand Freelancer was a great game. Maybe little too great to expect from BW.

Well I concede the fight. I have cancelled my subscription as of just right now and won't be back until some major changes like actual space combat are included in the game.

This issue along with others just shows to me that Bioware just does not know how to make MMOs and should just stick to single player games.

Well I concede the fight. I have cancelled my subscription as of just right now and won't be back until some major changes like actual space combat are included in the game.

This issue along with others just shows to me that Bioware just does not know how to make MMOs and should just stick to single player games.

my gametime runs out shortly after the 1.2 release. Then I'll come back as soon the space combat gets off the rails.

Hopefully there'll be something.

When though is the big question..... and after that what. :(