ability to wear "vanity clothing"

Astryl

She's referring to a seperate equipment tab where you can wear a displayed set of armor or clothing on the exterior but is not the actual set that you are wearing with your stats. So yes social gear could be put on that tab and be the outfit that is displayed on the exterior but your actual equipment with stats would be on the main tab.

Social gear would not add anything to your characters abilities or stats even if the item has stats on it unless you physically equipped it. Social gear is moddable, but still not as good as the lvl 50 purple sets and is only offered as light armor so not a viable option to wear while questing or pvp.

I keep a set of social gear in my ship hold so that for special events and occasions I can change and look nice :)

Are we going to get the ability to wear vanity armor? Clothing that is for show only?

If you're looking for an Appearance tab, then no.

The vanity armor in this game is the orange quality gear that can be fully modded. Much more effort than just throwing a piece of gear into an "extra" appearance slot, but IMO a better system.

the social gear is not something that you should wear full time even fully augmented - if you are a medium/heavy armor user. all social gear is set as light for the purpose of letting everyone use it. but a class that needs the protection from heavy armor takes a huge mitigation drop because all mod-able armor bases its mitigation value on both the armor type and the armoring mod put into it. so a light orange armor, and a heavy orange armor - both slotted with the same exact armoring mod, will have significantly different mitigation values.

The vanity armor in this game is the orange quality gear that can be fully modded. Much more effort than just throwing a piece of gear into an "extra" appearance slot, but IMO a better system.

There are 2 issues:

1. Watch until you start getting Epic level 50 gear and you can't slot your way to get equivalent gear anymore. Sure they are adding epic mods/enhancement/armoring in the future but this still does not address the 2nd issue

2. Character with medium/heavy gear that relies on them for mitigation can't wear these social gear because these social gears are Light.

Now, with appearance slots ala Rift, we can still equip our equipment and these costumes just for look. I fail to see how this is a bad system.

They need to drop all this stupid design for mods and just patch in an appearance tab...

The devs want to try to force everyone to look how they want, and its getting old fast.

This.

The biggest problem with this game is BioWare's obsession with dictating what our characters do. You see it with the light/dark system. You see it with the armor design. You even see it with the companions.

So at 50, when you are raiding or seriously pvping, you switch into your work clothes, i.e. the good armor, and when you are screwing around doing other stuff like dailies or whatever, you put on your going out clothes. Kinda like real life, huh?

This.

The biggest problem with this game is BioWare's obsession with dictating what our characters do. You see it with the light/dark system. You see it with the armor design. You even see it with the companions.

I fondly recall the days when people played games for what the game offered, not insisted that the games they play were changed to suit their own personal desires.

the social gear is not something that you should wear full time even fully augmented - if you are a medium/heavy armor user. all social gear is set as light for the purpose of letting everyone use it. but a class that needs the protection from heavy armor takes a huge mitigation drop because all mod-able armor bases its mitigation value on both the armor type and the armoring mod put into it. so a light orange armor, and a heavy orange armor - both slotted with the same exact armoring mod, will have significantly different mitigation values.

Just a heads up, but this is false.

Social armor existed in medium and heavy tiers in beta. The medium and heavy tiers, along with a fair number of light armors too, were all removed at some point. To the point where there are many sets missing at the moment. Which is why you can find things like crimson mandalorian armor in the code, but can't get it in-game.

Furthermore, a load screen in-game even says that getting access to higher social levels gets you access to better armor. This is true for one class out of the four at the moment. Not so much for the rest.

The devs have acknowledged this is an issue in a dev post. And have all social armor scaling to the highest armor class on their agenda.

Edited by Radiatonia

I fondly recall the days when people played games for what the game offered, not insisted that the games they play were changed to suit their own personal desires.

Yeah, I recall those days, too. Many's the fond memory I have of devs telling me "You'll play the game we gave you and you'll like it. We don't give a damn what you want." Ah, SWG. I shall miss thee...

Just a heads up, but this is false.

Social armor existed in medium and heavy tiers in beta. The medium and heavy tiers, along with a fair number of light armors too, were all removed at some point. To the point where there are many sets missing at the moment. Which is why you can find things like crimson mandalorian armor in the code, but can't get it in-game.

Furthermore, a load screen in-game even says that getting access to higher social levels gets you access to better armor. This is true for one class out of the four at the moment. Not so much for the rest.

The devs have acknowledged this is an issue in a dev post. And have all social armor scaling to the highest armor class on their agenda.

so basing your argument on what was in beta and what is to come probably in a few months, you state that what is available and happening in game right now is false? ..... i have tested in game, with light med and heavy orange gear all with the same armoring mods at different levels and it all shows exactly the same thing. exactly what i said. i was trying to prevent people from augmenting social armor right now thinking they wouldnt lose stats from it.

Edited by Agurak

This.

What? You choose whether to go Dark/Light or somewhere in between. You choose which companion you want to use. Armor is armor. Wow reuses the same armor models over and over and over, so do most games.

One has to ask why, seen as how players like to choose the look of thier own characters. Hell show me an MMO where this topic has not been discussed and this feature not asked for over and over again. Most MMO's that have been around for a long time have finally given in and done this because they realized its what players want. One would think new MMO's would take a leaf out of the books of what the old ones have learned - and start with it.

Its called evolution. The difference between those games you are referring to and this one is that BW is asking us to pay $15 a month for content access. Your argument would be more viable in a dictatorship - not a free-market economy.

I don't know if Devs should cator to the whims of gamers or not, but I will say that vanity slots have become a well loved aspect of most MMos. As controversial as some would like to believe, they are something most people have come to expect. I for one, was wishing for them on day one. Full green/brown bounty hunter gear with a bright white and blue trooper esc chest is jarring. With games like WoW all the armor is just well armor, but here armor is tailored to fit the look of a specific class and when they cross over its just weird.

One has to ask why, seen as how players like to choose the look of thier own characters. Hell show me an MMO where this topic has not been discussed and this feature not asked for over and over again. Most MMO's that have been around for a long time have finally given in and done this because they realized its what players want. One would think new MMO's would take a leaf out of the books of what the old ones have learned - and start with it.

I agree with you

Even that successful and biggest MMO which has been resisting customization feature for YEARS finally gave in with their so called "Transmogrification" feature.

This is actually a way to add customization to a theme park based MMO

Edited by illutionz

If you've ever played CoX or CO or LOTRO, it's quite annoying to have to put up with limited possibilities for looks customization in other MMOs.

From the devs' point of view too, looks customization can be a pretty decent little time-sink. (People can spend hours in CoX or CO making their character look just right.)

Orange gear is an ok compromise, but as others have pointed out, it screws around with some of the crafting professions, and doesn't have much charm for people who get a lot of joy out of upgrading via looting.

There are 2 issues:

1. Watch until you start getting Epic level 50 gear and you can't slot your way to get equivalent gear anymore. Sure they are adding epic mods/enhancement/armoring in the future but this still does not address the 2nd issue

2. Character with medium/heavy gear that relies on them for mitigation can't wear these social gear because these social gears are Light.

Now, with appearance slots ala Rift, we can still equip our equipment and these costumes just for look. I fail to see how this is a bad system.

So instead of fixing 1 and 2 (fixes which are COMING as said by the devs), you'd just flush an entire gaming system, crash the crew skills, rewrite the entire quest reward and loot tables, put to the toilet a system which is original and a lot of people like?

I want to look cool...Dont get it twisted..But I absolutely hate the idea of people not looking like that are ACTUALLY wearing...I seen far to many people rocking ridiculous clothing in to battle and it just annoys the crap out of me...

You should look like what you are wearing...period...

Now if they made every piece of gear have a orange moddable version, thats pretty much your appearance tab AND makes every piece viable via mods...

I still firmly believe we should be raiding for epic mods instead of gear...or maybe a combo...But why not make everything with mod slots...For those that dont get the mod system, have set mods to start that gear off with...those that know better will replace the mods with the highest they can fit

EDIT: So in short, my stance on Appearance Tabs is NOOOOOOO...Just make a [Orange] version of EVERY piece of gear in the game!!!

Edited by fallenvirtues

I would have agreed with you, except that the oranges have base stats, which makes the mod system break down. So no, you cannot find something you like, and just mod that to the end. You can, but it won't go over very well during combat.

I seen far to many people rocking ridiculous clothing in to battle and it just annoys the crap out of me...

Yeah, I think this every time I see someone in non-moddable raid or pvp gear.

I went through the vendors earlier, and didn't see a single set of 50 raid or pvp gear that didn't look absurd.

EDIT: So in short, my stance on Appearance Tabs is NOOOOOOO...Just make a [Orange] version of EVERY piece of gear in the game!!!

Wouldn't that be the same thing as an appearance tab, only needlessly more complicated?