Are high res out of the game because of the PC heat issues?

fendergibson

Just because some people don't have any problems, it doesn't mean other ppl's pc's are having it because of cooling problems.

I have the same issue and all other 37 guildies of mine. Run a temp check program and you will have it too, in fact NONE of those who posted that are clean aren't. It is a common issue on this game to increase the temps by 20-30%.

On top of that I have tested the game with 2 different cards running on stock gpu cooler and both behaved the same way.

This doesn't equate to an "issue". Different games load the CPU and GPU to different levels and for differing durations. You aren't going to see the same temperature range for every single game you play. There will be some variation.

For the record though, my temps are no higher than with any other game (or Furmark) on my system. I can post screenshots if you don't believe me.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, BW should have coded an fps cap. That said, heating issues are still caused by badly configured hardware. Your hardware simply fails to vent heat quick enough when running at 100%.

So yeah, BW didn't write enough code. But your system still fails to run at intended capacity. Get it?

You dont need to have a masters at Computer science to know these things. I do have one but that dosnt mean i were ignorant before i graduated.

*wall of text*

Now if there is a problem with the computers design, its cooling components or its manufacturing, then they will notice it when it does go to 100%, wich is when the Starcraft 2 or SWTOR of the day eventualy release wich may be as much as a year down the line. Then when their GPU melts they blaim the game when it was their computer all along. Common sense is to stress test your computer when you get it. if it fails, replace it on warranty as thats the fault of the manufacturer.

This is probably what happened to the OP.

*wall of text about laptops and gaming*

Actually, if you read my post (the OP), I actually mention over and over that i do NOT suffer from overheat, and my computer is only 4 months old with good specs and very good built cooling :) but that the problem is how badly optimized the SWtor is, since it stresses the PC more then maxed out Skyrim, Rift, BF 3 etc. SWtor is the only game where the fans actually start to kick in, even if the cooling is good, and it handles 100% load tests just fine.

Point is: SWtor shouldnt be more demanding by a good amount then maxed out BF 3, Age of Conan, Rift, Skyrim etc considering the graphics are worse, and SWtor only offers medium textures atm.

Just because some people don't have any problems, it doesn't mean other ppl's pc's are having it because of cooling problems.

I have the same issue and all other 37 guildies of mine. Run a temp check program and you will have it too, in fact NONE of those who posted that are clean aren't. It is a common issue on this game to increase the temps by 20-30%.

On top of that I have tested the game with 2 different cards running on stock gpu cooler and both behaved the same way.

And that's my point. Noone is saying noone is having the issue.

But the problem is obviously not a widespread issue, or there'd be a LOT of threads with HUNDREDS of people complaining.

So there is some underlying issue, besides the poor optimization of the game code which we all agree to, that is causing the issue.

For instance, I see many posts of people with "high end" rigs with i7's and multiple GTX580's barely getting any FPS, while "lower end" rigs such as my own get 60fps with no problem.

This points most likely to a driver issue. Could be a graphic card driver, could be a sound card driver, etc., but I'd bet my last dollar drivers are causing a lot of these issues right now simply because EAware and manufacturers haven't gotten together and hammered it out yet.

Edited by Zorvan

This doesn't equate to an "issue". Different games load the CPU and GPU to different levels and for differing durations. You aren't going to see the same temperature range for every single game you play. There will be some variation.

For the record though, my temps are no higher than with any other game (or Furmark) on my system. I can post screenshots if you don't believe me.

Yes this IS an issue, its a known problem with SWtor that the bad coding causes more stress than necessary. Thats the whole point in having an optimized game. And based on SWtor's graphics, its badly optimized compared to other games.

And again, that you play on a 2000$+ modified 17" alienware laptop with new heatsinks doesnt really help your case.......

Actually, if you read my post (the OP), I actually mention over and over that i do NOT suffer from overheat, and my computer is only 4 months old with good specs and very good built cooling :) but that the problem is how badly optimized the SWtor is, since it stresses the PC more then maxed out Skyrim, Rift, BF 3 etc. SWtor is the only game where the fans actually start to kick in, even if the cooling is good, and it handles 100% load tests just fine.

Point is: SWtor shouldnt be more demanding by a good amount then maxed out BF 3, Age of Conan, Rift, Skyrim etc considering the graphics are worse, and SWtor only offers medium textures atm.

Actualy i have read every post you have made so far. Few claim that SWTOR is well optimised. Thats not the issue here. As most projects of this complexity it will get better optimisation down the line as we go.

What i have a problem with is the belief that SWTOR cause peoples computers to melt and that its the game thats to blaim. Its not SWTORs falt as little as you can blaim SC2 for melting computers when it were released. It all comes down to subpar cooling or manufaturing malfunction.

This is actualy a constant problem due to OEM retailers and such profiting on peoples lack of knowledge. But it only gets "front page evident" during huge game releases like SWTOR and SC2 due to the amount of machines being involved.

Do you see my point`?

I've run a temp check and you're wrong, I don't have this issue and I'm not seeing elevated temps due to this game. In fact I posted my temps earlier and even with SLI and SGAA enabled through the CP my hottest card is only hitting 62c with VSync turned off. My second card is sitting at 58c. Neither is higher than any other game I play!

Why is that? Probably because my PC is hand built to be able to play games at maximum potential without breaking a sweat. Obviously if this game is heating up your PC to unreasonable levels it's not properly cooled and it's taken a new game to bring the issue to light.

I also find it highly suspect that people keep claiming the same thing over and over again and have yet to show a single shred of evidence that this game is causing unusual heating compared to other demanding games. Seriously, how hard is it to load up Crysis, BF3, Rift or any of these other games that people claim run so much cooler and snap a shot to show us your problem?

I highly doubt the claims that these other games run so much cooler than ToR at max settings. In fact, I'm positive they don't on my machine, and I bet if you checked temps while playing those games you'd see the same thing.

And again, that you play on a 2000$+ modified 17" alienware laptop with new heatsinks doesnt really help your case.......

Manufacturer:

Self

Processor:

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E6700 @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL

Hard Drive:

750GB/160GB/160GB

Video Card:

SPARKLE Calibre Series X460G GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

Monitor:

ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1

Sound Card:

Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Speakers/Headphones:

Technics SA-DX940 Stereo Receiver 5.1 Surround

Keyboard:

Saitek Cyborg V5

Mouse:

Saitek Cyborg Rat 3

Mouse Surface:

Mouse Pad

Operating System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Motherboard:

ASUS P5G41T-M LX LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Computer Case:

Antec DF-85

And I run this. Hardly a $2000 rig ( didn't even get close to $1000 when I built it 2 years ago ) and it definitely doesn't have brand new heatsinks. Yet I have no heat issues.

Now can we move along from the "everyone not having an issue must have an expensive gaming rig blah blah blah"?

Edited by Zorvan

This argument is going around in circles, and I'm not sure "who" doesn't get "what".

Does the game need better optimization? YES

Is the game giving people issues? YES

Are there things people can do themselves to help with the issue? YES

Is complaining about it going to get Bioware to fix it faster? NO. They will fix it when they can, and I'm sure they are trying.

Pretty simple, really.

Again, it's not modified and actually I think it does help my case since heat dissipation is going to be far worse on ANY laptop than a desktop (look at the posts describing air-cooled dekstops idling at under 30C for evidence). There is little margin for error heat-wise. If a fan breaks or something else goes wrong there is so little air in there that you can be at 100C or more in seconds.

OP, BW should have coded an fps cap. That said, heating issues are still caused by badly configured hardware. Your hardware simply fails to vent heat quick enough when running at 100%.

So yeah, BW didn't write enough code. But your system still fails to run at intended capacity. Get it?

No, my comp runs it just fine maxed out, but i know a lot of people who doesnt have the same cooling as me, who are having tons of issues with the game. And also, I know that the game COULD run much better if it was better optimized.

And the majority does not have that great cooling.

Hell, if you read this thread, you will notice that 80% of the people who has posted here are cooling nerds who are trying to grow their epeen with comparing low celsius numbers on their selfbuilt, watercooling 2500$ system that they have in their chilly and cool mom's basement.

Hell, if you read this thread, you will notice that 80% of the people who has posted here are cooling nerds who are trying to grow their epeen with comparing low celsius numbers on their selfbuilt, watercooling 2500$ system that they have in their chilly and cool mom's basement.

Dude, most of the people here, including myself, are trying to clarify the issue and help answer questions. Quips like that aren't going to illicit a positive response.

I have two rigs that I play SW:ToR on. The first is a desktop with 2x Nvidia GTX260s and a Core i7 920. The other is an ASUS G73SW with a GTX460m and a Core i7.

The desktop is quite possibly one of the worst rigs I've ever personally built in terms of cooling efficiency. The case is extremely basic and the motherboard I chose forces me to put the cards side by side. The CPU is seated just above the two GPUs and the PSU is directly above that. Basically, it's an recipe for absolute disaster in terms of heat generation in a small area. But guess what? No issues.

My laptop is an entirely different story. It has a specialized cooling system that makes finding a backpack for it almost impossible. It's also extremely effective. Again, guess what? No issues.

I play ToR A LOT (10 days, 19 hours, 31 minutes on ONE of my chars). I rarely shut down my PC and it rarely gets a break from play since my GF plays pretty much whenever I'm not on. If anyone should be having heating issues to the point of components melting down it should be me. However, I don't. Why? Because all of this nonsense about ToR ****** your systems is just that: nonsense.

The majority of you posting about how poorly optimized this game is don't have the first clue about software programming. The people claiming that this game is actually causing hardware failures don't have the first clue about how a computer works in the first place.

Why don't you address my last post then? Oh, that's right. It doesn't support your argument and in fact disproves it.

How do you like that Cyborg Rat, Zorvan?

Funky mouse. I've been interested in looking at one.

Absolutely love it. would like to move up to the R.A.T. 7 or 9 though for the adjustable weight and more buttons, but I'm very happy with the 3.

Using it for 2 years now and going strong.

Edited by Zorvan

Dude, most of the people here, including myself, are trying to clarify the issue and help answer questions. Quips like that aren't going to illicit a positive response.

Absolutely this.

People have been trying to help you, fendergibson. People have been giving you suggestions to help with this issue....that you claim you don't even have. You're speaking for the people, right?

But you are too hung up on "It's poorly optimized" and apparently have no regard for those trying to help you, er....those you are speaking for.

Edited by Skoobie

There were several posts in beta discussing this and the answer is Vsynch. I have an i7-920 and a GTX 560 TI OCed (its the MSI Twin Frzn Razor or something like that). With everything turned up to high/max my GPU temp is around 60c with Vsynch on. If I turn it off, my FPS jumps to 130-150fps but my temps also climb to the upper 70s. With Vsynch off, the setting that had the largest impact was shadows. Dropping it from high to low would decrease temps by 10c+. I could leave shadows on high and turn everything else down to low and my temps would still be above 60c.

*need to post wall of his pc specs*

And I run this. Hardly a $2000 rig and it definitely doesn't have brand new heatsinks. Yet I have no heat issues.

Now can we move along from the "everyone not having an issue must have an expensive gaming rig blah blah blah"?

Congratulations, but you once again fail to see the point.

I have not said that, and i have no HEAT issues myself with my own rig, because i had a clue when i built it, but the point is that SWtor is poorly optimized, which makes the game stress any comp more then it actually should atm:

-This causes the game to overheat for those with bad cooling, when the game actually should have run fine if the game was better optimized.

-It causes the fans to kick in more then necessary, compared to other games/mmo's with better graphics.

-It causes lower FPS then people actually should get.

-High res textures are NOT in the game yet, who knows how badly the game will run even on top specs then?

Think of it like this: It requires more horsepower then battlefield 3 on ultra, but it looks like battlefield 1942.

You arent helping anyone by saying playing SWtor on any laptop is "completely fine" because you have no issues on your modified heatsinked 17" alienware 2000$+ 5 kg "laptop" :)

That is maybe some of the dumbest s**t I have ever heard :)

Again, many people are reporting problems with SWtor on different laptops that arent modified on notebookreview.com.

But again, laptops arent made for gaming anyway. But it just means that those people will sub to WoW instead, since it doesnt push their laptop to 100 celsius and cpu throttle.

Absolutely this.

People have been trying to help you, fendergibson. People have been giving you suggestions to help with this issue....that you claim you don't even have. You're speaking for the people, right?

But you are too hung up on "It's poorly optimized" and apparently have no regard for those trying to help you, er....those you are speaking for.

Yes, because better optimization = better FPS and a smoother game. Doesnt the laggy ability delay annoy you?

And yes you can say i speak for the "people".

I know a lot of people in my guild who are playing on laptops, or older comps, and they are experiencing issues, especially during flashpoints with all the convos etc.

Originally Posted by Zorvan

*need to post wall of his pc specs*

And I run this. Hardly a $2000 rig and it definitely doesn't have brand new heatsinks. Yet I have no heat issues.

Congratulations, but you once again fail to see the point.

I have not said that, and i have no HEAT issues myself with my own rig, because i had a clue when i built it, but the point is that SWtor is poorly optimized, which makes the game stress any comp more then it actually should atm:

-This causes the game to overheat for those with bad cooling, when the game actually should have run fine if the game was better optimized.

So what the **** do you expect if they HAVE BAD COOLING?

-It causes the fans to kick in more then necessary, compared to other games/mmo's with better graphics.

Perhaps it does. Point being, the fans are kicking in and working, which is what they are designed to do. WHERE'S THE PROBLEM?

-It causes lower FPS then people actually should get.

I agree, and again I expect that will change when PROPER DRIVERS ARE RELEASED.

- High res textures are NOT in the game yet, who knows how badly the game will run even on top specs then?

High res textures ARE in the game, they just aren't properly enabled. Do you think the cutscenes are movies? The cutscenes use real time textures, and as you can see, the cutscenes have HIGH RES TEXTURES.

Think of it like this: It requires more horsepower then battlefield 3 on ultra, but it looks like battlefield 1942.

I agree once again that the game is unpotimized. But you fail to see there is a difference between unoptimized issues, driver issues, and user end issue such as bad cooling.

*le sigh*

Also, I posted my specs because you keep droning on about $2000 laptops and $5000 rigs being the only ones daring to deny the heat issue. I only "needed" to post my specs to show you your continued attack on everyone who says they have no issues is wrong and completely and totally stupid to keep continuing with it. Yet, you keep continuing with it.

Edited by Zorvan

No, my comp runs it just fine maxed out, but i know a lot of people who doesnt have the same cooling as me, who are having tons of issues with the game. And also, I know that the game COULD run much better if it was better optimized.

And the majority does not have that great cooling.

Look, you need to stop being so obstinate.

Some key facts have been pointed out by earlier replies:

1) TOR cannot force your system past 100%

2) If you insist on not running vsync, your system will likely run at 100%

3) If you have heating issues, your system simply isn't dissipating enough heat when running at 100%

It's likely that you're either not really maxed when playing GPU-intensive shooters (the fastest mobile GPU, the HD6990m runs metro2033 ultra at a measly 20fps) or they simply have better code that caps rendering or fps to go easier on the GPU.

So you have a point, TOR is badly optimized and is forcing your system to run at 100% even when it probably doesn't have to. No one is disputing this. The SC2 main screen problem was fixed with an fps cap by Blizzard. That said, your system still fails at running at 100%.

Perhaps all the posters here have tried rubbing this too hard onto you. People are agreeing with you that TOR needlessly am pulling more resources than needed. However, TOR cannot pull more than what your parts are designed for. You need to stop denying that your system just fails in this aspect.

This game doesn't push a decent machine like at all. Heat issues are NOT a SWTOR problem, its your problem with cooling.

2700k overclocked to 4ghz w/ inexpensive water cooling (Corsair H60, $60)

16gb DDR3 ram

gtx 570

... my computer like idles through this game. Never see my cpu usage go above 30% except during loading screens. Video card could be running like 4 copies of this game before it started working hard.

You arent helping anyone by saying playing SWtor on any laptop is "completely fine" because you have no issues on your modified heatsinked 17" alienware 2000$+ 5 kg "laptop" :)

That is maybe some of the dumbest s**t I have ever heard :)

Again, many people are reporting problems with SWtor on different laptops that arent modified on notebookreview.com.

But again, laptops arent made for gaming anyway. But it just means that those people will sub to WoW instead, since it doesnt push their laptop to 100 celsius and cpu throttle.

Interesting viewpoint. Too bad you are incorrect. These examples of yours of straw man argumentation are disrespectful to people in this thread whos trying to give real help and answer real questions, not inflate myths or egos.

Yes, because better optimization = better FPS and a smoother game. Doesnt the laggy ability delay annoy you?

And yes you can say i speak for the "people".

I know a lot of people in my guild who are playing on laptops, or older comps, and they are experiencing issues, especially during flashpoints with all the convos etc.

Engine 'optimization' has absolutely NOTHING, repeat NOTHING to do with how hot your graphics card will get. Optimizations in the engine net greater performance (frames per second). performance in no way = heat in graphics cards. Load on the GPU increase power draw which then creates heat.

Higher end graphics cards run hotter than lower end due to the higher transistor count, and power draw.

Your graphics card is designed to have sufficient cooling and run stable at normal clock speed, even at 100% load (like using Furmark). No game EVER reaches this point constantly, and if you are having problems, there is something wrong with your computer/laptop.

Omg this thread is making me feel stupid!