What!! NO ADD-ONS to be authorized!!!!

MallocV

I think add-ons worked so well in WoW because Blizzard isn't good at re-inventing the wheel.

All of the best features in WoW were either done in other games first and improved by WoW, or created by mod programers and then made into regular interface features.

Blizzard recognized that players have a better understanding of what they want than Blizzard does, and that they can get programmers to work for free by supporting add-ons.

Thank you so much for posting this, I didnt know how to explain how they help a game and you got it right on the $$$

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR is not an MMO.

It's an MMORPG.

SWTOR is not the kind of game that people who enjoy grinding will find appealing. There is minimal grinding, minimal time sinks... in fact minimal anything that does not revolve around playing your character. In my experience this seems foreign to a lot of mundanes who got used to the status quo with WOW and the unfortunate masses of following MMO games that basically just tried to be WOW with a twist. I am not a WOW hater, this is just a fact. If you came from a game where you had to endlessly grind, with your only goal being to level up and improve your gear, then SWTOR will be as different an experience to you as if you had suddenly changed genders. I do not personally believe that SWTOR should allow add-ons. Though it's not really my place to say what someone else will find enjoyable, what I can say for sure though is that SWTOR does not NEED add-ons. You can play SWTOR without add-ons, without buying new gear, without repeating any content and without a guild. All these things and many, many more are examples of how SWTOR is not like any other MMO where you might need those things to make a decent game experience. Because SWTOR is not an MMO. It's an MMORPG. And that's one reason why I think it's possibly the best computer game I've ever played.

Cutter

So I put in a ticket praising the game and noted about how the UI feels incomplete, I also asked about authorizing addons in the game.

I got a reply and it said that Bioware is not going to authorize them! This bothers me, addons GREATLY improve a game with proc alerts, boss warnings, customizable UI, simplified AH and so on.

Developers dont always have all the right answers or ideas, add-ons allow them (by popularity ie: Deadly Boss Mobs, threat meters, QuestHelper) to evaluate if anything they created could be done better or incorporated just as those addons where added to that other mmo.

I dont know if addons where ever an issue in that other game, I do know that I take on all the responsibility and risk of using and downloading one if they compromise my account. They are all free to!

What am I missing about the threat Bioware feels about addons?

This pleases me. This pleases me greatly.

I know some folks are gung-ho on modding their UIs to Heaven and back, some folks want large brightly-colored text warnings for boss fights, some folks want certain things automated, etc.

None of that is needed.

BioWare has indicated their design team wants to improve the UI. I don't object to being able to move hotbars or resize them. But past that, the game looks fine, and doesn't need modding. You don't need add-ons to track GTN trends, you don't need add-ons to track buffs/debuffs, to assist with healing, to track threat, or Heaven forbid, to start tossing out damage numbers.

This game is fresh and new. Learn to excel at it without those things. Learn to do well at the game with what the game gives you.

I sincerely hope BioWare continues to take a staunch "no add-ons" policy.

Well, on the one hand, not having addons is a good thing because you can watch the game, instead of a bunch of numbers and timers. A lot of addons really ruin the immersion.

On the other hand, they've completely failed to provide a decent UI, thus proving that they probably should let some legit programmers (addon community) create some addons for us to use.

Yeah cause the giant windows everywhere that they have now really help immersion. My UI will get smaller with mods.

I agree Need is a strong word, but addons do bring a quality of UI customization, proc alerts that you can CHOOSE to use or not.

Its like those so called "Hard Core" raiding guilds back in Wrath that used to farm beginner bosses in 25man raids to overpower 10man raids to get server firsts and /flex in their awesomeness, while the true Hard Core guilds limited their gear to a preset item level that the raid was designed to be completed in.

Key word

CHOOSE

Edited by MallocV

No. Play the game as the developers provide it.

Conversely--when BioWare does open the interface, you agree that mods are part of the game. And using mods, which ever you choose if any, would be playing the game as the developers provided it.

Glad they won't allow these. Such addons force the developers to change the content to suit the addons, meaning it changes the content of the game for everyone. WoW entered that cycle where addons simplified the game, so developers had to throw more crap into every encounter to overcome the addons, leading to the steaming pile of junk WoW is today.

Heaven forbid BioWare get creative with their mechanics.

WoW hasn't been creative with their mechanics, as evidenced by the collapse of their subscriptions in Cataclysm. All they did was throw in more damage, more adds, and more debuffs for addons to track.

So I put in a ticket praising the game and noted about how the UI feels incomplete, I also asked about authorizing addons in the game.

I got a reply and it said that Bioware is not going to authorize them! This bothers me, addons GREATLY improve a game with proc alerts, boss warnings, customizable UI, simplified AH and so on.

What you mean to say is that add-ons tell you exactly what to do and when to do it instead of you actually trying to learn something.

QQ some more.

theres a difference between being creative and designing encounters around having add-ons in the first place. It's absolutely not necessary, wasn't in Rift and won't be here.

Well, on the one hand, not having addons is a good thing because you can watch the game, instead of a bunch of numbers and timers. A lot of addons really ruin the immersion.

On the other hand, they've completely failed to provide a decent UI, thus proving that they probably should let some legit programmers (addon community) create some addons for us to use.

completely failed eh?

ui works fine for me, and apart from wanting a third center bar, there is almost nothing i'd have changed.

seriously what is this problem everyone (really only some) seem to have with the UI?

It actually helps immersion for me and added so much more fun to WoW. Once you have them it's hard to go back.

Yeah, I remember all of the great things it added. Like GearScore checks. And OMG YOUR DPS IS 10% LESS THAN I THINK IT SHOULD BE, YOU'RE OUT OF THE GROUP!

Yeah, I have fond memories of those times.

I have a threat meter idea- if the enemy is attacking you, you have threat.

Meters make it so you spend the game lookin at them, rather than at the actual combat. Deadly Boss Mods are even worse- look, bosses in this game give you a big warning when they're doing something on the screen, you see the animation of whatever they're doing, usually they shout a verbal cue too- that's your warning, if you can't pay attention to that, you should die.

Does this mean you'll wipe a few times on bosses the first time you see them? Ya, but good, DBM makes the game too easy, or, it turns the game into requiring pin point following of the DBM cues that in turn make it impossible to do the content without it.

It's not that mods are bad- something to customize the UI would be welcomed- but the problem is how do you let in the asthetic mods without letting in the mods that make the game easier/exploitable. Blizz hasn't figured that out in 7 years, nobody else has figured it out, I doubt BW will figure it out.

There are three major failings with addons.

1) "Required" addons. If something like DBM is out there, it turns into a mandatory addon. If you don't like it, you don't raid.

2) Trivializing content. Addons have a very big potential to trivialize raid encounters. Before DBM, we used such things as sound queues, visual effects and overall knowledge of raid encounters to get through a fight. With DBM, all I have to do is what the screen tells me. In WoW, the only bad raider is one who can't read and react.

3) Damage Meters. Damage meters cause way too many problems. A lot of people use them to demean the contribution of others in a group. Doing 100 less DPS than me? You are a noob. Let's forget the fact that you are snaring, mezzing, etc, or the fact that some fights greatly favor one class over another. If damage meters were self only, with the exception of a raid leader having raid information, I wouldn't mind them.

What you mean to say is that add-ons tell you exactly what to do and when to do it instead of you actually trying to learn something.

QQ some more.

Sure those help but I used addons that allowed me to customize the UI and gave visual and sound keys to display proc's where I could see them instead to staring at my ability bar.

I'd love to see a cut and paste of this, because I seriously doubt it said what you're saying it did.

Edited by imtrick

Conversely--when BioWare does open the interface, you agree that mods are part of the game. And using mods, which ever you choose if any, would be playing the game as the developers provided it.

If. If they do so I'll just have to deal with it then.