GPU upgrade yielded no effects

Kontagious

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you worked in the field you would know yourself that RAM is the most common issue on computer's, it's also dirt cheap to replace. sniffing around looking for files, tweaking, and multiple driver crap imo is a waste of time, much easier to do a clean install, but to each there own, when someone gives me a pc they dont get the option to keep there os as is, its wiped, and we backup what they need, that is store policy.

You are right, I dont "work in the field," it's strictly a hobby, and I fully agree that RAM is easily the most overlooked issue. Fact is, we need more info from the OP to give accurate suggestions.

Need:

OS (32/64bit)

RAM Specs

Mobo

HDD Specs

PSU Specs

and lastly, if the drivers are up to date, were they properly wiped and installed?

You are right, I dont "work in the field," it's strictly a hobby, and I fully agree that RAM is easily the most overlooked issue. Fact is, we need more info from the OP to give accurate suggestions.

Need:

OS (32/64bit)

RAM Specs

Mobo

HDD Specs

PSU Specs

and lastly, if the drivers are up to date, were they properly wiped and installed?

I was just going to suggest this. Going from 4850 to 6850, you probably should have wiped the drivers and installed them as a fresh set.

look online for a driver sweeper, and reinstall.

If you haven't already, set the priority for both SWTOR threads (click 'show for all users') to High. This apparently has helped some people a lot.

Also, I STRONGLY suspect that this is actually a CPU issue. SWTOR has some funny CPU issues, as evidenced by the fact alone that increasing priority has been reported to help significantly. That should be the starting point for searching, since obviously GPU ain't it.

Edited by dingoperson

The number of terrible suggestions in this thread is mind numbing. I cannot believe it took 6 pages to suggest a clean reinstall of your video drivers using Driver Sweeper. See the following article: http://www.overclock.net/t/651378/how-to-install-drivers-and-use-driver-sweeper.

Why in the world would you spend hours swapping and checking RAM and reinstalling Windows 7 when the issue could be caused simply by an outdated driver?

If you haven't already, set the priority for both SWTOR threads (click 'show for all users') to High. This apparently has helped some people a lot.

Also, I STRONGLY suspect that this is actually a CPU issue. SWTOR has some funny CPU issues, as evidenced by the fact alone that increasing priority has been reported to help significantly. That should be the starting point for searching, since obviously GPU ain't it.

How do I do this, someone else told me to do this, but I don't understand what you mean.

How do I do this, someone else told me to do this, but I don't understand what you mean.

1. While the game is running, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC - this will open Task Manager.
  2. Go to the Processes Tab (2nd one) and Check mark "show processes from all users" on the bottom left.
  3. Now look for "swtor.exe" in the list, there should be 2 of them.
  4. Right click one of them, choose Change Priority and select High.
  5. Repeat for the 2nd one too.

Best advice so far in this thread has been to do a complete uninstall of your graphic drivers and then do a Driver Sweep (Driver Sweeper) of them, reboot and reinstall the latest CCC.

Another good advice was about the CPU not being able to handle the GPU.

When you go to sleep tonight, set your PC up to Defrag while you sleep (I suggest defragging in Safe Mode so less processes are running and more of your HD will be defragged). A severely fragmented hard drive will cause all sorts of issues that look like GPU/CPU performance issues.

Ignore the suggestion on removing your ram and what not... if you are not PC savvy, you can easily destroy your motherboard or whatever else you're messing with by messing with the internals of your PC. Just a little static electricity, a drop of sweat, or other minuscule looking things can destroy almost anything in your PC.

Edited by Zebular

Same thing happened to me; upgraded from a 260 GTX to 560 TI OC, ZERO change in FPS.

My computer specs are;

Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz

Cheeta 10K RPM x2 RAID 0

1100FSB

Yes I know that my system is really old, and unless you have 3 + Ghz on a single core you are prob hurting these days.

But I think the biggest issue is prob the PCIe 2.0 or lack therof that is the reason why the card yeilded no results, its CPU bound + Internal bus bound. No surprise.

just means a full upgrade is in order...

My dad buys me Alienwares, so I haven't had to worry about this game's graphical problems

However, I have heard other people say that they've had the same issue; where upgrading their computer doesn't help. I would recommend just getting a new one entirely, or waiting for BioWare to fix the Hero Engine

Lol this was a funny post. Just get an entirely new computer... If you do not know anything about computers Ganadorf, that is fine, but please do not post responses to computer related threads.

Now go have fun with the alienwares your dad bought you.

Conversely, i upgraded my GPU to the same model GPU, just a different edition of it, and saw a huge difference in FPS, it's gone from a slideshow in alderaan and imperiel fleet, to completely playable.

All I did was switch was 460 GTX 1 GB standard edition for the 460 GTX 1 GB palit sonic platinum overclocked edition, the OC edition is like 20-25% factory overclocked.

I also switched from a crappy harddrive to a force series 3 SSD.

Now i don't have fps issues anymore, hard to say if it was the graphics card or hard drive though.

I started playing this game with a PNY GTX 460 and I never had any issues with FPS or lag. I have recently added a 2nd 460 SLI and of course the FPS went from 50-72 to 70-100 easily.

Do not forget, the GPU is not the only pc of hardware that affects your games. your CPU, ram and HD all play a role in game quality. Also, you may also need to update your GPU drivers. Just installing from the disc will almost never get you the most current drivers. But the 6800+ series is a good card, not the best but still up to par for almost trippleing your FPS from your 4000+ series. What are your other specs on your system.

It's very probable it's not the graphics card, as I am running a ATI Radeon HD 5670 (I have a tiny pc, it was the most powerful, small gpu I could get) which is not a gaming card and my lowest FPS is ~30, in very crowded areas.

(Phenom II X4 965, 8 gb RAM)

I've had to set the shadows down, but I've not turned them off.

My CPU is seeing the highest strain during playing, so keep an eye on fan speed and temp. If your CPU has to run on highest fan speed and have dangerously high temp. (over 90) then something is wrong, either it can't handle the game, or it might need a clean.

Most motherboard manufacturer have their own monitoring programs, or you can search google for "CPU temp monitor", you should check your GPU temp while you're at it.

My dad buys me Alienwares, so I haven't had to worry about this game's graphical problems

However, I have heard other people say that they've had the same issue; where upgrading their computer doesn't help. I would recommend just getting a new one entirely, or waiting for BioWare to fix the Hero Engine

So, it takes a crappy computer to run a crappy engine.

It's very probable it's not the graphics card, as I am running a ATI Radeon HD 5670 (I have a tiny pc, it was the most powerful, small gpu I could get) which is not a gaming card and my lowest FPS is ~30, in very crowded areas.

(Phenom II X4 965, 8 gb RAM)

I've had to set the shadows down, but I've not turned them off.

My CPU is seeing the highest strain during playing, so keep an eye on fan speed and temp. If your CPU has to run on highest fan speed and have dangerously high temp. (over 90) then something is wrong, either it can't handle the game, or it might need a clean.

Most motherboard manufacturer have their own monitoring programs, or you can search google for "CPU temp monitor", you should check your GPU temp while you're at it.

My CPU hasn't pushed 54 degrees celsius when running the games and that's with it Overclocked. If there is one thing I have done correctly it is keep my PC cool, it's like an icebox in there.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet. I read through somewhat quickly. Anyways the 9600 is notorious for the TLB bug and that tends to cause a lot of performance issues. See this toms hardware thread for some info.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305894-33-6870-games

Here is also an old post related the the issue with some links to fixes.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/156838/1

The best option honestly is to upgrade your CPU. Hope those help some.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet. I read through somewhat quickly. Anyways the 9600 is notorious for the TLB bug and that tends to cause a lot of performance issues. See this toms hardware thread for some info.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305894-33-6870-games

Here is also an old post related the the issue with some links to fixes.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/156838/1

The best option honestly is to upgrade your CPU. Hope those help some.

This was the problem! I just applied this, and now I'm getting 50-60 fps. I think my processor is definitely in due for a upgrade but, this fixed it from the 15- 20 fps I was getting. Thank you so much!

Ati has allways sucked and will never change nvidia is the only way to go

Nvidia has sucked for me and there have been times when the strongest card out in the market was ati. dont like it when ppl try to pass off thier opinions as fact

I have an AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core Processor running at 2.6 GHz. I did a bit of research before I bought the Radeon HD 6850 and figured that this shouldn't be bottlenecking. My game should have seen improvement according to studies done by Tom's Hardware as well. :/

Tom's hardware is bad since they got bought out (and well before that)

The 6850 is a rebranded 5850, seeing as there was no huge change in the cards from 4800 series and the 5800 series the fps boost wouldn't be that large but should still be noticeable.

EDIT: i see you semi solved your problems you were having :)

Edited by Leadslinger