GPU upgrade yielded no effects

Kontagious

I just upgraded my Radeon HD 4850 to a Radeon HD 6850, and I saw zero changes in fps. I still get around 20 fps on planets in the open like Tatooine. Indoors I still get around 40-50 fps . On the fleet and in warzones the game is still unplayable because of my fps. Why have I seen no change in my framerate? This is upsetting. :/ I've noticed quite a bit of improvement in other games I've tried, but none in SWTOR. Can anyone help me?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad buys me Alienwares, so I haven't had to worry about this game's graphical problems

However, I have heard other people say that they've had the same issue; where upgrading their computer doesn't help. I would recommend just getting a new one entirely, or waiting for BioWare to fix the Hero Engine

I just upgraded my Radeon HD 4850 to a Radeon HD 6850, and I saw zero changes in fps. I still get around 20 fps on planets in the open like Tatooine. Indoors I still get around 40-50 fps . On the fleet and in warzones the game is still unplayable because of my fps. Why have I seen no change in my framerate? This is upsetting. :/ I've noticed quite a bit of improvement in other games I've tried, but none in SWTOR. Can anyone help me?

THere could still be a lot of variables, crappy isp, CPU is bottlenecking, router not working correctly, the list goes on and on.

Conversely, i upgraded my GPU to the same model GPU, just a different edition of it, and saw a huge difference in FPS, it's gone from a slideshow in alderaan and imperiel fleet, to completely playable.

All I did was switch was 460 GTX 1 GB standard edition for the 460 GTX 1 GB palit sonic platinum overclocked edition, the OC edition is like 20-25% factory overclocked.

I also switched from a crappy harddrive to a force series 3 SSD.

Now i don't have fps issues anymore, hard to say if it was the graphics card or hard drive though.

Edited by SinisterWarlock

Can you list your computer specs? I run a Radeon 5850 and have zero FPS issues. Sounds like you have an underlying problem.

theres not a big difference in those cards, the first number is the generation and the second and third are what show what kinda performance it gives. Dont get me wrong the 6850 is better but not game changing amount.

I have an AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core Processor running at 2.6 GHz. I did a bit of research before I bought the Radeon HD 6850 and figured that this shouldn't be bottlenecking. My game should have seen improvement according to studies done by Tom's Hardware as well. :/

what is your CPU? you maybe bottle necked

theres not a big difference in those cards, the first number is the generation and the second and third are what show what kinda performance it gives. Dont get me wrong the 6850 is better but not game changing amount.

Actually, there is a pretty significant difference.. I would definitley consider it game changing: http://www.hwcompare.com/5936/radeon-hd-4850-512mb-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

@OP

Perhaps you're bottle necking somewhere? Can you list all your specs?

Try disabling vsync.

In beta I used a GTX9800 and got fairly decent results.

Just before Launch I picked up a GTX590 (Not just for swtor that would have been silly, I had been planning an upgrade for a while) I noticed that my graphical experience was much the same and in some cases a little worse for Launch.

I did a little research and discovered that with vsync enabled it effectively limited my 590 to be no better than the 9800. Once I disabled vsync though I noticed that my FPS effectively doubled in most places. Now the only time the FPS dips is when I'm in fleet and last night I turned off player names and the FPS went up even more.

Give it a try. :)

Try disabling vsync.

Just before Launch I picked up a GTX590 (Not just for swtor that would have been silly, I had been planning an upgrade for a while) I noticed that my graphical experience was much the same and in some cases a little worse for Launch.

I did a little research and discovered that with vsync enabled it effectively limited my 590 to be no better than the 9800. Once I disabled vsync though I noticed that my FPS effectively doubled in most places. Now the only time the FPS dips is when I'm in fleet and last night I turned off player names and the FPS went up even more.

The Vsync in the game? I have that disabled :/

Hmm, I really don't know what your problem could be.

AMD CPUs are benchmarking way lower than Intel these days, so it could still be a CPU issue. But I'd think it's a driver issue before anything else.

Do you have your latest ATI drivers?

Also, what do you have shadows set to?

Edited by daeseer

*Windows 7 64 bit

* 4 GB RAM

*AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz

*Radeon HD 6850

Here's my other specs.

That's an older CPU but I would think you should have still seen an improvment in FPS. Search the net for 3dmark and run the benchmarking and post the results.

Hmm, I really don't know what your problem could be.

AMD CPUs are benchmarking way lower than Intel these days, so it could still be a CPU issue. But I'd think it's a driver issue before anything else.

Do you have your latest ATI drivers?

Yea, I just upgraded to 11.12 today. Those are the latest, right?

Try disabling vsync.

All VSync does is keep your refresh rate in line with your FPS. You would have been capped at 60 FPS (most likely). Removing vsync just removes the cap.

When will people learn that CPU>GPU nowadays, i can run SWTOR absolutly fine on my HD4870 and get well over 40fps in busy areas, having an i7 920 cpu makes allllllll the difference.

not that your cpu is bad, but your old gpu was fine, something is bottlenecked, probobly a **** Motherboard or faulty ram.

Edited by Ishikur