High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

They might simply have disabled it for the time being due to problems relating to it. I am sure it wil eventually get fixed and you have multiple teams working on different areas in the game. So ofcourse patch 1.1 might not have the patch for it, if its not done, but it does carry content that other teams got done.

Disabling is not the same as removing, which is what they've done as of right now, this minute, on the Public Test Realm. Removed it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might simply have disabled it for the time being due to problems relating to it. I am sure it wil eventually get fixed and you have multiple teams working on different areas in the game. So ofcourse patch 1.1 might not have the patch for it, if its not done, but it does carry content that other teams got done.

The problem is not that patch 1.1 doesn't have the fix for it. The problem is that patch 1.1 is an attempt to bury the problem(or so it seem so far).

As has been said about fifty times in this thread already, it's not even the fact that it hasn't been fixed yet, it's the fact that Bioware haven't even talked about the issue. Not even "it's going to take six months". Just nothing.

This game does lean heavily on CPU, and despite what people say, it does seem to use multi-core processors fairly well, I'm getting a fairly equal load across all cores. Chances are, the improvements you made resulted in a much better fps, and a far more playable experience.

But unless you changed your graphics preferences, the game looks exactly the same visually as it did before.

I'm not saying you're stupid, necessarily (though absurdly stubborn), you wouldn't be the first person who thinks that their games look better when they upgrade. They look the same, just play better. There is a part of our brains that tries to tell us that things look better when we put expensive hardware in. It happens to me too, every time I put a new graphics card in, twice a year. And I know, in detail, that it's not true - but the impression is hard to resist. The textures, effects, etc don't change - but an fps boost does present a better experience.

Im not sure where you are getting this logic but ok ^^

Buying this game gives me the same feeling I got a year after election 08 :(

^ This. I know exactly how you feel. I like the game and I want it to succeed, but I can't really accept the fact that I'm not getting as much eye candy as my system can squeeze out of game the way it does when I play WoW SC2 and Skyrim with everything up on Ultra.

Im not sure where you are getting this logic but ok ^^

He's getting that logic from fact. You can only get what was designed for the game. The only way a game will LOOK better opposed to simply performing better is if you couldn't use certain features in the game because your old card didn't support it but the new one does. So for example, let's say I have a card from last year, that has all the modern technologies to run this game, yet the game doesn't perform very well because the card isn't powerful enough to run it any better than 5 FPS, so I can see all of the bells and whistles of a maxed out game, but it's more like a snap shot because of the horrendous FPS.

Let's say I play this same game on a card made 8 years ago and doesn't have support for lighting shaders 3.0 and above, etc. When I play the game, aside from running badly, I won't see the awesome lighting effects and higher textures that it's capable of, but when I upgrade to a modern card, I would, and there would be that massive of a difference. You said you didn't upgrade your video card, so any graphical improvements are in your head, it's ok, happens to all of us at least once when we spend hundreds to upgrade our rigs. What you are seeing is much better performance AKA much higher FPS, which makes the game run far smoother, and the animations look better, etc.

He's getting that logic from fact. You can only get what was designed for the game. The only way a game will LOOK better opposed to simply performing better is if you couldn't use certain features in the game because your old card didn't support it but the new one does. So for example, let's say I have a card from last year, that has all the modern technologies to run this game, yet the game doesn't perform very well because the card isn't powerful enough to run it any better than 5 FPS, so I can see all of the bells and whistles of a maxed out game, but it's more like a snap shot because of the horrendous FPS.

Let's say I play this same game on a card made 8 years ago and doesn't have support for lighting shaders 3.0 and above, etc. When I play the game, aside from running badly, I won't see the awesome lighting effects and higher textures that it's capable of, but when I upgrade to a modern card, I would, and there would be that massive of a difference. You said you didn't upgrade your video card, so any graphical improvements are in your head, it's ok, happens to all of us at least once when we spend hundreds to upgrade our rigs. What you are seeing is much better performance AKA much higher FPS, which makes the game run far smoother, and the animations look better, etc.

I see all that text but you are simply restating what I said like 20 pages ago. I said I upgraded my computer's parts and now they are running the game great. What more needs to be said? Why do you need to go on and on about the computer parts I upgraded?

You are going in circles my friend ^^

I see all that text but you are simply restating what I said like 20 pages ago. I said I upgraded my computer's parts and now they are running the game great. What more needs to be said? Why do you need to go on and on about the computer parts I upgraded?

No i'm not, you think your game looks better because you upgraded the hard ware, what i'm telling you it is graphically the same, it merely performs better, there is a key difference between performing better and looking better.

No i'm not, you think your game looks better because you upgraded the hard ware, what i'm telling you it is graphically the same, it merely performs better, there is a key difference between performing better and looking better.

Graphically the same where? On their end?

Read these words carefully. i upgraded. it looks better. end of story.

A few pages back you diagnosed someone's computer setup via a screenshot. Then you claimed that updating some unrelated parts improved your visuals. I just don't know dude, just don't know.

This is the part that doesn't make sense. You can't make a game look better with more ram.

Edited by eskachig

Graphically the same where? On their end?

No, graphically the same on the screen you're looking at that displays the game.

Now please do me a favor, and read these words carefully: The game's graphics AKA the textures, lighting, how much grass you see at a distance etc. Have not changed at all, they are exactly the same.

The performance of the game AKA how fluid animations are, the frames per second, sound matching what you're doing, better combat because you aren't playing a snapshot, etc are the only things that will improve because you upgraded your CPU, fans, memory, etc.

No, graphically the same on the screen you're looking at that displays the game.

Now please do me a favor, and read these words carefully: The game's graphics AKA the textures, lighting, how much grass you see at a distance etc. Have not changed at all, they are exactly the same.

The performance of the game AKA how fluid animations are, the frames per second, sound matching what you're doing, better combat because you aren't playing a snapshot, etc are the only things that will improve because you upgraded your CPU, fans, memory, etc.

Once again the logic and reasoning you have fails me. I guess we can skip past this one lol.

As has been said about fifty times in this thread already, it's not even the fact that it hasn't been fixed yet, it's the fact that Bioware haven't even talked about the issue. Not even "it's going to take six months". Just nothing.

Does that really matter though? They are aware of it. The fact they removed it in patch 1.1 shows that. It might have been removed so that it does not make people think it works.

AA was not working for a long time either and that is coming back in patch 1.1. Seriously, they do not need to talk about everything. Just have faith it gets fixed, it might just take a while. Besides I would say High textures is currently one of the last things that need fixing.

I'm running this game on 2 HD 6870s in SLI, an Intel i5-2500k, and 16 gigs of RAM clocked at 1600Mhz. While I won't say the game looks like ****, it doesn't look as good or as polished as Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Starcraft 2, or Skyrim does on my rig. And it will never look as good unless Bioware allows us to use AA and high-res textures like all these modern games do.

Perhaps he had a cracked and blurry monitor... that has now been upgraded... so the game does in fact look better!

Really... your point makes perfect sense, and if he can't or refuses to understand it... don't waste your time.

I could've sworn there were glitchy high-res textures in the March/April beta... I swear I remember my consular having some really sweet robes that would at one moment look fantastic... and the next look like blurry grey blobs.

I'm running this game on 2 HD 6870s in SLI, an Intel i5-2500k, and 16 gigs of RAM clocked at 1600Mhz. While I won't say the game looks like ****, it doesn't look as good or as polished as Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Starcraft 2, or Skyrim does on my rig. And it will never look as good unless Bioware allows us to use AA and high-res textures like all these modern games do.

Are you forgetting that those are single player games or SPs with a multiplayer element? Massively Multiplayer Onlines will never have those kind of graphics, period. Never, ever, ever. No company would be dumb enough to alienate half its customer base.

Edited by Aisar

Are you forgetting that those are single player games or SPs with a multiplayer element? Massively Multiplayer Onlines will never have those kind of graphics, period. Never, ever, ever. No company would be dumb enough to alienate half its customer base.

Aion, FF14 (while bad), LoTrO, AoC and Eve Online look amazing. Titan is supposed to have "next gen graphics"

You guys should force AA on through the GPU - it makes a tremendous improvement, and chances are it will work better than Bioware's implementation for some time to come.

Does nothing for texture resolution, and bugs out textures for many ( makes water and other items invisible, etc. ).

You guys should force AA on through the GPU - it makes a tremendous improvement, and chances are it will work better than Bioware's implementation for some time to come.

I should probably try this at some point. using the AA = 1 tag in the swtor settings does enable AA as well, but I took a 75% fps hit. This game is so horribly optimized I cried.

Aion, FF14 (while bad), LoTrO, AoC and Eve Online look amazing. Titan is supposed to have "next gen graphics"

By his own admission, he just barely upgraded a 10 year old computer that he was using for 7 years to play WoW on low settings with. He doesn't even know those games exist outside of pictures in a magazine. Probably thought it was all "concept art".

Edited by Zorvan

He just barely upgraded a 10 year old computer that he was using for 7 years to play WoW with. He doesn't even know those games exist outside of pictures in a magazine. Probably thought it was all "concept art".

Wow did you come into this conversation late. Welcome, I am Aisar, the main target for hate, as I am sticking up for the game. Feel free to flame me if you want, or you can join in and contribute.

This is a flawed argument. You won't alienate your base if the game, like all MMOs have graphic settings that scale the game. Low can look like WoW and run on the oldest settings. Medium can have more bells and whistles and run on a more modern system. High can have all the wonderful modern graphics we enjoy. Hell you don't even have to do it that way. You can specify each feature and detail what it does.

So you have an PC that will run X modern game fine save for the insane physic engine that makes your CPU cry? Fine, turn it down a bit. Those soft shadows killing your game? No problem we've got lower shadows than that, or turn them off! The lighting is killing your FPS? No problem we have HDR to bloom to none at all, make a choice.

Bottom line, graphics scale and the above argument doesn't make much sense.