Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why only one companion at a time?

BenjaminminU

So i've been playing this game since early access and the other day I realised what was lacking, back in KOTOR you were allowed to take 2 companions with you to help, but in this game we only get one to use at a time, I believe that if all characters are allowed 2 companions it would make the gameplay more fun, like i know what happens at the end of the Jedi Knight story and in the final battle I want both lightsaber wielding companions with me since it makes sense for both of them to be there.

For heroic areas and flashpoints you should only be allowed one companion to keep everything balanced but when doing story content 2 should be allowed in my opinion, and for story content there are already elites and strong enemies in the story areas so if the difficulty was increased i'm sure there would be no balance issues.

TL,DR: 2 companions is better than one and storyline gameplay could be adjusted to allow it.

Edited by BenjaminminU

I agree. This is essentially an MMO that captures the spirit of a single-player Bioware RPG, so being able to deploy two companions and have them interact would have given it more of that feeling, so long as said restrictions were applied to flashpoints/heroics.

I agree. This is essentially an MMO that captures the spirit of a single-player Bioware RPG, so being able to deploy two companions and have them interact would have given it more of that feeling, so long as said restrictions were applied to flashpoints/heroics.

Exactly what i mean, remember when Bastila used the force to trip up mission? or when mission kept complaining about zaalbar's breath or fur? Some of the best parts of KOTOR

Edited by BenjaminminU

But then why not 3, or 4. Why even need a group? Why be a mmo when you can be a single player game?

KOTOR only had 2 companions, and if restrictions were placed it would still be an mmo.

His point still stands. With two companions grouping wouldn't be necessary for any of the 2+ heroics and you could solo flashpoints with only a level or 2 advantage.

His point still stands. With two companions grouping wouldn't be necessary for any of the 2+ heroics and you could solo flashpoints with only a level or 2 advantage.

Which is why restrictions would have to be placed on heroic areas and flashpoints. Something along the lines of "only one companion is allowed in this area, which one will you send back to the ship" pop up when entering either to prevent this from occuring.

So i've been playing this game since early access and the other day I realised what was lacking, back in KOTOR you were allowed to take 2 companions with you to help, but in this game we only get one to use at a time, I believe that if all characters are allowed 2 companions it would make the gameplay more fun, like i know what happens at the end of the Jedi Knight story and in the final battle I want both lightsaber wielding companions with me since it makes sense for both of them to be there.

For heroic areas and flashpoints you should only be allowed one companion to keep everything balanced but when doing story content 2 should be allowed in my opinion, and for story content there are already elites and strong enemies in the story areas so if the difficulty was increased i'm sure there would be no balance issues.

TL,DR: 2 companions is better than one and storyline gameplay could be adjusted to allow it.

This isn't a single-player party-based RPG. It's an MMORPG, and the ability to take one companion is innovative in itself.

Truly interesting choices can only exist when choices must be difficult or deliberate. If you could take 3 party members with you, you would always take your 3 favorite to farm affection/hear replies.

As it is, deciding which companion to bring must be carefully considered. I want to woo Kira but T7 is a great tank. Doc has funny comments. Who's most useful in combat? Who do you want with you for quest dialog? Do you bother swapping at every point?

These are interesting decisions which add to the game. Give the ability even to take 2 companions with you and you remove the decision-making I enjoy.

I agree, we need more companions at same time. I am still used to old style 6 or 4 character parties. Even the recently adopted Dragon Age/Bioware 3 character grouping makes me feel already bad, a sole character in your party just feels awful. I understand they couldn't be always with you due to being an MMO and everyone running around with 6 characters would be a burden for the system, but solo and main quests could once in a while allow you to take most (or all) your companions with you.

Let that warrior hold off enemies from your back, get the droid hack into a computer, while you and the doc could go to the lab to retrieve important research data, then on the way outside hook up with your pilot and shoot with your ship a way off the planet while your historian/archeologist friend deciphers the info found in the lab.

I agree, we need more companions at same time. I am still used to old style 6 or 4 character parties. Even the recently adopted Dragon Age/Bioware 3 character grouping makes me feel already bad, a sole character in your party just feels awful. I understand they couldn't be always with you due to being an MMO and everyone running around with 6 characters would be a burden for the system, but solo and main quests could once in a while allow you to take most (or all) your companions with you.

Let that warrior hold off enemies from your back, get the droid hack into a computer, while you and the doc could go to the lab to retrieve important research data, then on the way outside hook up with your pilot and shoot with your ship a way off the planet while your historian/archeologist friend deciphers the info found in the lab.

I don't think we need to go that far, 2 will be enough especially as every class has at least one companion that it makes sense to always have with them and another that is part of the story at that point. All force user classes have a padawan/apprentace and the inquisitor and knight get another force sensetive companion as part of the story, especially for the knight it makes sense to have both of these companions with you at the end of the story.

I would not mind to have 2 active at the same time, for instance as a tank I would pick a heal and dps.

Companions are not real players so hardmodes, raids - wont be possible anyways, so there is no threat to those that might think they can lose their epeen to those with 2 companions ;)

I don't think we need to go that far, 2 will be enough especially as every class has at least one companion that it makes sense to always have with them and another that is part of the story at that point. All force user classes have a padawan/apprentace and the inquisitor and knight get another force sensetive companion as part of the story, especially for the knight it makes sense to have both of these companions with you at the end of the story.

You think full all-world/game use of 2 characters tagging along, I think large-scale multi-companion use quests :)

• 3 weeks later...
The idea of this is great since it is possible and as long as there were restrictions for them in flashpoint great. They wont interfer with the story they might even make it more lively. If this was implemented it would give us a more of a kotor feel.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.