Blizz always dies.

Iskandarian

I really wish they'd let us respec or change the roles of our companions. I'd love to use Blizz, Gault, or Torian often but they just don't compare to Mako. Whenever I use anyone that isn't her I have to race to dps things before I die. With Mako it's very safe and I'm never really in danger. It'd be great if I could convince Blizz or Torian to toss me some heals.

While I'm not quite level 50, I still find Mako the best ( I fully spec'd into bodyguard at level 46 with a few perks in the other lines). Mako is decent for healing, although she doesn't always seem to heal consistently through a fight. Hopefully they will add more companion control that will help with this, I just wish Mako would heal me from the first hit of damage I take which she does "sometimes" but not always.

• 3 months later...
I use Blizz for questing as a DPS merc, and yeah, he dies all the time. But he only dies just as the enemies are about to die, so I just dismiss him and resummon (takes about 1 second) and he reappears with full health and all cooldowns reset. Not worth healing him in my opinion, though I wish he was a bit stronger defensively.

It's sad that Blizz is such an unique (and adorable) companion without being useful in any way. I love the little guy but even in full columi gear he just falls short. I have Mako in battlemaster/rakata gear and she does great, even as a 4th 'person' in flashpoints.

tank pets are for healers and occasional +2s. im glad he (and Skadge, that loveable lug) are tanks or otherwise i might've given up on my merc healer to make room for a new toon. just count yourselves lucky you can use mako.

Yep. Blizz seems to be dying very often unless you keep his equip up to date. I've played my BH as Bodyguard up to 50 beyond 1.2, nevertheless I had often trouble keeping blizz alive, cause the damage he has taken was insane and his damage output on the other hand has been freaking low. I've got blizz at this time up to date with lots of equip from commendations, and still it was not that i had expecte... It's sad, that the BH gets his "tank" Companions at early Endgame and then they were a bit of useless...

This was one reason i respec'd to arsenal and get Mako up to date... She never gets overheatet, though her heals seems to be lowered post 1.2... :rolleyes:

and it's a bummer, because the 40+ planet storylines all have major affection gain chances for blizz, so he was intended for use, for sure.

but i guess blizz' function was nerfed like Tenacity stated above. makes sense, since a change that major late in the game to the companion dynamic required a ton of work and it was in beta, and just prior to release. seems like the band-aid came in the form of a nerf bat - and thus, non-viability - at least for a dps merc.

You only need to have the companion out when you talk to the questgives to get the companion faction. I often keep two companions not doing anything, one I am building faction with the other I am using to do the quests. After I get the quests I send the first off to craft. After I get a few quests done and the first companion is back from missions I do the turn ins.

As cute as he is sad to say he does feel rather weak for a tank. Most tank companions feel like that. The only way I found to up his survivability other then armor is the biochemist item that heals not only you but also your companion, even then he's lucky if he comes out alive and usually that is due to me switching to heals quickly or letting him die and finishing off whatever I'm currently fighting. I just wish he would be a little more tougher.

Tank comps just don't scale up with content progression. You can drop a main stat increase onto a healer and immediately see an upgrade to their power, same for a DPS. Do the same for a Tank and the main stat does jack for their role, best you can do is try and find high endurance and tank stats which aren't that easy to find. Other companions don't need special stats on gear to keep them up to scratch, they are just gravy.

Tank comps can do fine till 30 but the game is designed to step up a notch in difficulty from then on, mainly with mobs hitting harder. This leads to a noticeable drop in Tank comp survival, micromanaging can overcome a bit of it but for some fights they just won't cut it and a healer comp is needed. If you are set on using a Tank and not a healer spec then the best situation is to outlevel areas for questing.

Upside is you shouldn't have taken much, if any damage while using a Tank comp, so you can instantly heal them with a vehicle mount/dismount or if inside a dismiss and resummon. Annoying to do but it doesn't really equal any more downtime. It's a pity that they aren't the most effective to level with because I think some of the tanks like Blizz, M1-4X, Scorpio, Khem, etc are some of the coolest comps to have around.

Tanks also don't scale with Presence buffs. While DPS comps do more dmg and healing comps do more healing, tank comps only do more dmg with Presence and do not tank better. I tried using both Blizz and Skadge when I was BG (4/5 Columi) and they really didn't get it done. Thankfully I'm not BG anymore.

Tanks also don't scale with Presence buffs. While DPS comps do more dmg and healing comps do more healing, tank comps only do more dmg with Presence and do not tank better. I tried using both Blizz and Skadge when I was BG (4/5 Columi) and they really didn't get it done. Thankfully I'm not BG anymore.

This. Im not saying that tank companions should get like 40% bonus to armor like player tanks do but they could have been given something like 20% rather having none. Theres no real advantage in really using a tank companion over a dps comp. The 15% extra hp on the tank companion and shield procur isnt enough to offset the dpser who can deal damage twice as much

Tank pets suck. I have blizz in all columi, with augmented ear/implants/belt/bracers and a T3 pistol.

In an easy-medium fight, its just better to use Mako since I can tank better than Blizz anyways. In a hard fight, tank companions just fold up like a house of cards so there's really no circumstance when its good to use them.

The only place in the entire game where it would be useful for me to use Blizz is during the first boss of black talon, the dark side droid boss.

To 2 man this, it seems like people have the easiest time when 1 player is a tank and the other is a DPS. You can both use a heal companion and its fairly simple.

But without a tank PC, that first droid will chew up a companion pretty quickly.

I never had a problem keeping Blizz alive as a healer while leveling. I kept him as well geared as possible via cybertech mods I made for both myself and him, and focused on power over all other secondaries.

At level 50 with standard daily commendation mods, he feels fine to keep up heal wise.

He doesn't have any major threat issues that I can see.

I have geared my Blizz so well that he never dies. If he's hurt, I fling myself in front of him, & die first. My other companions - eh, they're on their own, but Blizz LIVES! By 50, he'd died twice, truly, & both times, I just went down with the ship.

I've actually found him to be the best tank I've had, but I do have a cybertech, so he's always modded with whatever I can give. (I, however, lag behind - the jawa comes first)

I find I gear those companions I like, & those I don't tend to suffer. I came to loathe Kaliyo - cynicism wears thin after awhile, so she was basically geared in paper by the end of my agent's story. But Blizz gets everything.

I prefer his tanking to the ranged tanks who yank to you (or who did) - and I don't think I've ever used the melee tank companions. (I tried Scorpio, but she died faster than Vector, so I went for straight damage on my agent)

Tank companions in this game really really suck from what I've experienced. I've never found them more useful then a healer or dps companion. They always either die or add to downtime because they are almost dead and you have to heal them.

I've had Blizz and Skadge over 18k HPs in full champion gear and they still suck compared to Gault, Torian, and Mako.

Personally I'd like to see tank companions survivability upped a lot.

Edited by Fredcat

It seems like alot of people use Blizz in their normal day-to-day activities. In these cases, sure...he kicks rear. But these are all cases that you could solo anyways.

If you ever try to take Blizz or Skadge into something difficult, its completely different. I have been gearing out all my companions, They all have a mix of T2/T3 armor, they all have either rakata implants/ears or purple augmented crafted implants/ears. And T2/T3 weapons. Only thing the tanks are lacking is a T2 or better offhand.

But anyways, my point is....unless your Blizz is in full supercommando rakata, I am fairly certain he dies during anything difficult (and probably still dies in rakata.) If you say he does fine, then you are most likely talking about running dailies with him, or level up on easy mobs.