Why no imperial trooper

alienstalker

If you want to be the generic trooper than roll on a RP server and RP as a generic trooper.

Fact of the matter is, it isn't -interesting- to play as the faceless masses. I don't play a MMO to be Bob the Soldier who can't hit something three feet in front of him. I want to be Bob the Elite Trooper, Darth Bob, Master Bob, etc.

And why can't you do both? Why can't you just be a normal soldier, nothing special about you, yet you still presevere you still fight on. Those are the true heroes. The true heroes are the ones who don't have amazing skills or superb talent, yet still fight the good fight for what they believe in. And this sort of hero could easily be tapped in storylines such as an Imperial Trooper.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not the most elite in the Republic. You are not a spec ops guy who can order padawans around. A republic trooper is just a average soldier following orders.

...no.

you don't know the main story behind the trooper do you?

you are part of havoc squad the republics most elite combat squad. i wouldn't consider that "average soldier"

and for most of the game you are actually giving orders, only taking them from the general in command of special forces.

If you want to be the generic trooper than roll on a RP server and RP as a generic trooper.

Fact of the matter is, it isn't -interesting- to play as the faceless masses. I don't play a MMO to be Bob the Soldier who can't hit something three feet in front of him. I want to be Bob the Elite Trooper, Darth Bob, Master Bob, etc.

You can already do that, be a sith warrior, he is the most successful sith in the academy, but don't ruin our chances to have a good story, and alot of fun by saying our idea is stupid.

This is what they hire all those writers for (Y). But even I can come up with some vague outlines as I've already done. You can make a story out of anything and it can be as compelling or cliche as your ability allows. Considering how cliche and predictable the current stories are, I'm sure they'd manage with an Imperial trooper.

What?!?! The Jedi Knight story cliche? No wai :p

Course with an Imp trooper they'd have to FINALLY ditch that whole hero ******** I ranted about and actually write a story about generic soldier number 53 instead of some super amazing specforces ****** who can win the war by himself.

That is why I sorta like the Inquisitor story, at least you start as nothing even if you end up being overly powerful at the end.

The ending of the trooper story would have to have these LS/DS choices.

1. Leave the sith to die (LS)

2. Taunt the sith as they are killed (DS)

Edited by Qishari
Inappropriate content

So what's your final class quest if you remain a grunt? Hm? Are you going to kill that womp rat? Are you going to get the lucky shot on a Jedi Knight who is butchering your comrades?

The final quest would be built off the story that precedes it obviously. Short of writing the entire storyline for Bioware, I can't say how it'd come to a close. But again, that's what they have professional writers for.

This. Agent and Smuggler gameplay is similar but the story is nowhere the same, same with BH and trooper. It would be interesting to play a Empire trooper, maybe in the future Bioware might add it if the demand is high enough.

Thanks for support. I agree.

It is you who is underestimating the importance of the Imperial troops. My pureblood Sith inquisitor got ordered by Grand Moff Kilran to use a transport to attack a republic cruiser, under threat of being blown out of the sky by the Imperial fleet.

Yeah, your average grunt wouldn't be saying that, but I'd like to see any Republic soldier say that to a Jedi Knight.

so you consider a grand moff to be an average grunt?

are you trying to say that grand moff kilran is somehow equal to a trooper? i wasnt aware that we could get promoted to general........

I think the highest rank is the Imperial Royal Guard.

Those responsible for guarding the Emperor himself. And the best of those was the Emperor's Shadow Guard.

Yep the Sith guardsmen you see in the Sith Citadel of Kaas City and elsewhere come right out of the Imperial Army.

There's no reason elite troops couldn't have been made-up from thin air just like "Havok Squad", after all, if the Imperial troops are all just worthless cannon fodder how did they possibly manage the Sacking of Coruscant and win the war, forcing the Republic in to the fragile peace we have in the game?

Not entirely true. The Republic Trooper is special forces. They're several rungs on the ladder higher then rank and file.

The Imperials? The HIGHEST rank a non-Sith can ever achieve is an Agent. Everyone else? Garbage that can be killed because a Sith Lord is in a bad mood and you happened to be around.

Uhhh, no. Imperial military has plenty of ranks besides cannon fodder. Generals, admirals, and Grand Moffs like Tarkin. Sure Vader killed incompetent admirals like they were nothing, but Tarkin had Vader on a leash.

are you trying to say that grand moff kilran is somehow equal to a trooper? i wasnt aware that we could get promoted to general........

Kilran actually starts low on the totem pole as a generic officer, one of millions. It just goes to show that the Empire isn't as anti-nonsith as some people seem to think. Even a normal person can become a grand moff if they have what it takes.

And why can't you do both? Why can't you just be a normal soldier, nothing special about you, yet you still presevere you still fight on. Those are the true heroes. The true heroes are the ones who don't have amazing skills or superb talent, yet still fight the good fight for what they believe in. And this sort of hero could easily be tapped in storylines such as an Imperial Trooper.

It doesn't work that way, though. Yes, in real life those are the real heroes. But guess what? This story isn't real life. I can't walk outside and go 'Y'know, I'm going to torture the mailman with Force Lightning and then choke someone with my mind for a while.' The heroes of Star Wars are a step above... well, most everything.

So the common soldier? Most likely going to get killed by a person with mind powers. A Sith can butcher its way through most regular forces, probably even through a select amount of elite forces. I'm sure a Jedi is just as capable as that Sith as well.

So, no, there's nothing wrong with wishing you could be that. But in the grand scope of things there is something wrong with a class that is basically fodder.

Yep the Sith guardsmen you see in the Sith Citadel of Kaas City and elsewhere come right out of the Imperial Army.

There's no reason elite troops couldn't have been made-up from thin air just like "Havok Squad", after all, if the Imperial troops are all just worthless cannon fodder how did they possibly manage the Sacking of Coruscant and win the war, forcing the Republic in to the fragile peace we have in the game?

No I don't consider a grand moff to be an average grunt, that's exactly my point. Not all of the Imperial Army or Imperial Navy are "average grunts", they do advance, all the way up to the point of protecting the emperor.

Just like Havok Squad are not average grunts on the Republic side.

Edited by PJEBarlow

No matter which option you go for (unless it's the one to refuse the quest) it'll always follow the same lines in which you're told to go and do a job and a consequence for choosing which path to follow down with those that have dark/light side options. You could be a "Sir, yes sir! For the Republic!" kind of guy who wants to be a hero recognised for his fine work, or you could be the "Whatever, as long as I get a paycheck" guy who just does it because it's a job. You'll get more dialogue with one of the options but in the end the mission is the same unless there was a dark/light side option.

It doesn't work that way, though. Yes, in real life those are the real heroes. But guess what? This story isn't real life. I can't walk outside and go 'Y'know, I'm going to torture the mailman with Force Lightning and then choke someone with my mind for a while.' The heroes of Star Wars are a step above... well, most everything.

So the common soldier? Most likely going to get killed by a person with mind powers. A Sith can butcher its way through most regular forces, probably even through a select amount of elite forces. I'm sure a Jedi is just as capable as that Sith as well.

So, no, there's nothing wrong with wishing you could be that. But in the grand scope of things there is something wrong with a class that is basically fodder.

See, it's this very misconception and ignorance to general SW lore that perpetrates the whole "I want to be a special snowflake" mentality. The truth is, in SW, a farmer with a blaster can kill the mightiest of sith lords. They're powerful when focused and paying attention, but if you catch them by surprise they are exceptionally easy to take out. That "Hope" trailer was a good example of your very normal soldiers taking on sith. A huge flaw of force users is they can't move at the speed of light. Their lightsaber can only be in one place at a time. This is why high rate of fire weapons can tear down jedi, they simply can't block it all.

So like it or not, you're only as powerful as you are because the story makes you out to be some prodigy. In actual lore, most sith and jedi are fairly weak and fall quite fast in concentrated warfare. The clone wars is a good example of this, and they were fighting inferior droids no less.

But again, just because YOU want to be a special little snowflake doesn't mean everyone else wants to be. As shown in this thread, people do want to try things from the other side of the coin. People do want to play the generic soldier just doing his duty. People don't always want to be this amazing hero with insane abilities, they want to just be an ordinary man who manages to do the extraordinary.

No matter which option you go for (unless it's the one to refuse the quest) it'll always follow the same lines in which you're told to go and do a job and a consequence for choosing which path to follow down with those that have dark/light side options. You could be a "Sir, yes sir! For the Republic!" kind of guy who wants to be a hero recognised for his fine work, or you could be the "Whatever, as long as I get a paycheck" guy who just does it because it's a job. You'll get more dialogue with one of the options but in the end the mission is the same unless there was a dark/light side option.

Your right, I agree, and the empire could probably have the same sorta guy. Except not starting in a havoc squad.

No I don't consider a grand moff to be an average grunt, that's exactly my point. Not all of the Imperial Army or Imperial Navy are "average grunts", they do advance, all the way up to the point of protecting the emperor.

Just like Havok Squad are not average grunts on the Republic side.

but it doesnt work that way. the grand moff isn't a soldier, and probably never was one. thats forgetting the fact that the grand moff is part of the navy, and that most probably start out as officers.

this thread is about imperial troopers. comparing comparing a soldier to what amounts to an admiral just doesn't really make a good case.

keeper has quite a lot of power as well, that doesnt mean he is a good example of why there should be imperial troopers

They're trying the best they can with the few resources they have to hand. In the films I only recall there being jedi, sith, bounty hunters, imperial agents, storm troopers, republic military, and smugglers. Lucasarts/Bioware/EA have had to come up with a way to balance them as a playable class without having one side having a greater advantage than the other, so some have stepped up a notch like bounty hunters into something more military than just a mercenary searching the galaxy for his next paycheck, and for some reason in the game there are only republic troopers and no imperial storm troopers...

That's *********, they're evidently not trying, and I can use the same example of why they're not trying to also illustrate that they understand how desirable playing an Imperial Trooper is to some of us; the Collector's Edition vendor.

All you would need to play an Imperial Trooper is an Agent, and a set of armour - blaster rifle and medical skills, blaster rifle and melee skills, sniper; almost all the roles are covered. And that armour does exist, the full set of basic Imperial Trooper armour in dark gray and red, helmet to boots. But only on the CE-exclusive vendor, so only a tiny portion of the playerbase can access it. You can't craft it, loot it, or get it as a quest reward, that CE vendor suit is the only one in the entire game.

Because a bounty hunter is like the smuggler not the trooper.

I want to fight on the frontlines as a regular soldier in the army. I know star wars battlefront does that, but I wanna do it in the old republic era.

Battlefront was a terrible attempt at a battlefield clone, and a terrible game in general. A batter example would of been starwars commando.

See, it's this very misconception and ignorance to general SW lore that perpetrates the whole "I want to be a special snowflake" mentality. The truth is, in SW, a farmer with a blaster can kill the mightiest of sith lords. They're powerful when focused and paying attention, but if you catch them by surprise they are exceptionally easy to take out. That "Hope" trailer was a good example of your very normal soldiers taking on sith. A huge flaw of force users is they can't move at the speed of light. Their lightsaber can only be in one place at a time. This is why high rate of fire weapons can tear down jedi, they simply can't block it all.

So like it or not, you're only as powerful as you are because the story makes you out to be some prodigy. In actual lore, most sith and jedi are fairly weak and fall quite fast in concentrated warfare. The clone wars is a good example of this, and they were fighting inferior droids no less.

But again, just because YOU want to be a special little snowflake doesn't mean everyone else wants to be. As shown in this thread, people do want to try things from the other side of the coin. People do want to play the generic soldier just doing his duty. People don't always want to be this amazing hero with insane abilities, they want to just be an ordinary man who manages to do the extraordinary.

That trooper... wasn't a regular grunt. He was more than likely a commander of an elite commando squad.

Also, a Sith Lord would only fall to a farmer with a blaster if he was, as you said, focusing on something else.

Even then it's been shown in cinematics that Sith, Jedi too I'm sure, have a bit of precognition through the Force. A minor amount to let them know something is about to happen.

Also, not a lot of Jedi died to the droids... a few did. But, correct me if I'm wrong, the Jedi accounted for a higher number of dead droids to Jedi.

Now consider that ToR takes place in a time when the Force is at it's strongest, I remember at some point someone mentioning the Force growing weaker. There are also an exceptionally large number of Sith and Jedi, to the point they each have their own elite squads within the orders.

I'm sorry, I understand what you want, but it isn't -practical-. Because, realistically, your character would be needing a medical probe to arrive every five seconds.

but it doesnt work that way. the grand moff isn't a soldier, and probably never was one. thats forgetting the fact that the grand moff is part of the navy, and that most probably start out as officers.

this thread is about imperial troopers. comparing comparing a soldier to what amounts to an admiral just doesn't really make a good case.

keeper has quite a lot of power as well, that doesnt mean he is a good example of why there should be imperial troopers

You're missing the point, entirely.

I was only using Grand Moff Kilran as one in-game example of how normal people in branches of the Imperial military can reach such heights as to boss around Sith apprentices of all people. You don't just go from "common grunt" to "Grand Moff" in one promotion, there is a rank structure that gives people increasing amounts of power and responsibility. Some of the grunt troops in the Imperial army, however few, will one day go on to become Sith guardsmen responsible for the life of the Emperor himself.

And, to bring up the point again, you are essentially claiming grunts did this. That grunts brought the Republic to its knees and forced it in to signing a peace treaty (which it did not have to do, and only did for odd reasons later explained in the story lines of the game).

That's *********, they're evidently not trying, and I can use the same example of why they're not trying to also illustrate that they understand how desirable playing an Imperial Trooper is to some of us; the Collector's Edition vendor.

All you would need to play an Imperial Trooper is an Agent, and a set of armour - blaster rifle and medical skills, blaster rifle and melee skills, sniper; almost all the roles are covered. And that armour does exist, the full set of basic Imperial Trooper armour in dark gray and red, helmet to boots. But only on the CE-exclusive vendor, so only a tiny portion of the playerbase can access it. You can't craft it, loot it, or get it as a quest reward, that CE vendor suit is the only one in the entire game.

Yeah but the Story and setting isn't the same. Even if you look like a imperial trooper, your still a agent for imperial intelligence, and that means the story is going to be widely different from a imperial trooper story. And the quests you go on are gonna be different. Intelligence officers go on missions, while a imperial trooper would be on the battlefield.

Y'know, even a private can work their way up to general. There's no sort of barrier preventing an enlisted soldier from becoming an officer. So whether he was in the navy and started as ensign, or the army and started as private, the end result would be the same in that he ended up as Grand Moff. The overall point is that you don't have to be a sith to have power and authority in the Empire. So this excuse that troopers are powerless holds no merit since they're no less powerful then their republic counterparts. If anything they have MORE potential since unlike the republic, they can work their way up to positions of political authority.

Back in my SWG days, I played that game for 2+ years on and off. I never once wanted to be a Jedi or a Sith. I always wanted to just be a trooper with a gun. So, in SWG I was a Commando. It was very fun, and it fit in very nicely with how I wanted to be in the Star Wars Universe.

I find the roles in SWTOR to be confined, but I understand why. Each side can only have a limited amount due to the massive resources needed to make story lines and voice overs, but I will admit I am bummed that the Sith empire does not have a traditional trooper. I'm the next best thing, which is Imperial Agent.

Anyway, if I was on the .dev team and I had some type of say in what went on, i would of put the Bounty Hunter and the Smuggler classes into a neutral/independent faction, then gave the Siths a soldier and replaced the smuggler with some other "good guy" class.

I was a ground pounder in real life, and I want to be a ground pounder in game. When I eventually make a Republic toon, you bet your butt its going to be a soldier.

That trooper... wasn't a regular grunt. He was more than likely a commander of an elite commando squad.

Also, a Sith Lord would only fall to a farmer with a blaster if he was, as you said, focusing on something else.

Even then it's been shown in cinematics that Sith, Jedi too I'm sure, have a bit of precognition through the Force. A minor amount to let them know something is about to happen.

Also, not a lot of Jedi died to the droids... a few did. But, correct me if I'm wrong, the Jedi accounted for a higher number of dead droids to Jedi.

Now consider that ToR takes place in a time when the Force is at it's strongest, I remember at some point someone mentioning the Force growing weaker. There are also an exceptionally large number of Sith and Jedi, to the point they each have their own elite squads within the orders.

I'm sorry, I understand what you want, but it isn't -practical-. Because, realistically, your character would be needing a medical probe to arrive every five seconds.

Alot of jedi did die to droids, did you see during the arena at Geonisis, the jedi at the end were falling back while dozens of them were dying. Plus Padme Amidala was able to survive where countless jedi has died but I'm getting off topic here.

The thing is your trooper won't be fighting jedi most of the time. The main enemy your fighting will be republic troopers. So your fighting average soldiers that would likely get killed every 5 seconds also.