The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The game isn't the problem

lueckjathom

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

addons allowed bads to be decent. So now there's a whole generation of people who think they're good at MMOs and if you take away their crutches they'll all have to realize the truth.

Myth

I think you would find that most casual players don't have the patience to set up addons properly so they function effectively. In my experience those that push the envelope (progression guilds) are far more likely to use addons than the common player.

Addons don't play the game for you. A bad player with addons is still a bad player.

Edited by PjPablo

Try end game, try pvp, then come back and say that.

you hardcore end-gamers and elitist pvpers might wanna just roll another toon, enjoy the different aspects of the various classes and storylines before you start howling about how endgame and pvp fail to meet your unrealistic expectations. Yes, I say unrealistic because the game just came out. Stop expecting the endgame of SWTOR to be as slick as WoW.

NO ORCS

NO ELVES

NO AZEROTH

NO DEATHWING

*** BIOWARE

Your list wasn't a "necessity" until roughly 2 years ago.

And necessity is a loose term. I don't need macros to play my game. Nor do I need an excel spreadsheet to figure out if my rotation is good or not.

Still necessary. Particularly the combat log and target of target. I couldn't care less about damage meters, but a combat log is absolutely a must. And a no-brainer. Or, so I thought.

TLDR;

This game will fail because they didn't add the features that were never announced to begin with, that I was used to with WoW.

This so perfectly paraphrases every single complaint I have seen on this forum

If there is a problem, it's the fact that we've basically been playing the same game for over 20 years (dating back to text based MUDs).

Well yes, but you won't see innovation in the MMO space until people stop buying the same old crap. That, and MMO players are notoriously horrified by change. Innovation would leave them in hysterics.

Edited by IheartGreenGirls

No target of target

No combat logs

I'd like Target of Target so as a Tank I can see when the mob targets someone else with an ability, and as a DPS so I know exactly which target the lazy "i can't be bothered to mark" tank is attacking.

Combat logs I generally only use to see exactly what killed me when I die in combat, not fussed about my DPS compared to rest of party/operation.. if the boss dies and we win we obviously did enough damage.

Well yes, but you won't see innovation in the MMO space until people stop buying the same old crap.

To be honest I dont see any real innovation until we get a new control scheme. Mouse and Keyboards are always going to have their limitations no matter how many buttons you have.

I am doing endgame, and I am pvping. What am i supposed to come back and say? That i don't need 3rd party addons? Need a threat meter? Stop sucking and let the take do his job. Need a dps meter? For what? I've refined my rotation and optimized it pretty well, never running out of energy. Could it be better? Sure, does it need to be? No. And macros are useless and are fancied by the lazy. Too hard to click buttons?

You need a threat meter to know how much threat you and others are at, or would you rather just use your abilities randomly and hope for the best? Makes no sense. How are you supposed to know how the tank is doing if you have no threatmeter, if you take aggro, is it because you have alot of threat or because the tank have none? Just guess, hehe.

You need a dps meter to see how you and others are performing. If you hit enrage timer on a boss for example, you check your damagemeter and you see that the other dps is doing barely half of yours, there you go that's the problem. Right now there is no way of knowing how you or others are performing, you just have to guess, which again, makes no sense.

You think you have refined your rotation, most likely there are 10 others that are much better, yet again, you just guess and hope for the best. Could it be better? Yes. Does it need to be? If you want to succeed at anything, I has to be.

Your comment about macros just proves how clueless you are.

Currently the UI is very stupid with limited and few buttons.

I have four abilities that have no GCD that I use together, this requires two to three seconds to activate because I am having to press 4 different binds aswell as game no having the best response time. With a macro I could put these into one button, making it easier and more effective aswell as saving 3 buttons where I could put other abilities to smoothen the gameplay.

Macros are used to have two abilities on one key, using modifiers, very good and useful, say I want to use the same bind for different abilities? Just use macro modifier.

You arguments are stupid and you proves how clueless you are. Guessing seems to be your soloution to everything.

Edited by zolthie

TLDR;

This game will fail because they didn't add the features that were never announced to begin with, that I was used to with WoW.

You got the TLDR part right... other than that, begone.

The point of OP was exact opposite in fact, that this game wont fail because of missing launch features that we are accustomed to and that it's common for them to be missing at launch. They will be added as the dev's, community, and funding see fit. As with any other MMO launch.

Unfortunately, many of the whiners here have never actually participated in a MMO launch, they just hopped aboard an already thriving, polished game and now that is what they expect to find here 2 weeks after launch.

Edited by lueckjathom

Since your post got delete ill just reply here.

You don't need any of that junk. Just learn to play. My guild already have the 1st operation on farm up the last boss without and of the junk and we have yet to have any issue that would cause use to need a crutch type addon.

I have PVP'd.

What the hell I need a threat meter for? If the level 50 is beating on me I apparently have his aggro. This works with NPC's as well. If you're fighting a mob and it's attacking you, your internal threat meter should say, "I have aggro".

If I'm dead and someone else is alive at 500 hp, I need to do more damage or get a heal.

If I'm dead and someone else is alive at 5000 hp, I need more than a little extra damage or a spot heal.

I don't need target of target. I can tell who my teammate is attacking by looking at the screen.

You clearly have no idea what threat is.

No, the developers are the problem.

No target of target

No threat system

No threat meter

No damage meter

No macros

No combat logs

We are not spoiled if we would have these, these are a few of the ingredients to creating a successful MMO.

These things among others are a necessity.

Without key things being in a MMO, launched in 2011 with 6+ years of work put into it, why would people fund it? Makes no sense.

These are not a necessity for 95% of the player base (maybe even 99%), it makes lots of sense to most people. Man I would love to see people like you in front of a keyboard coding so I can tear up your work :)

You don't need any of that junk. Just learn to play. My guild already have the 1st operation on farm up the last boss without and of the junk and we have yet to have any issue that would cause use to need a crutch type addon.

It's not about a learn to play issue.

Your guild has the first ops on farm says nothing since it's super easy content.

Impossible. Games cannot be played without those necessities.

Or maybe just some players can't play without them....hmm....

I have PVP'd.

What the hell I need a threat meter for? If the level 50 is beating on me I apparently have his aggro. This works with NPC's as well. If you're fighting a mob and it's attacking you, your internal threat meter should say, "I have aggro".

If I'm dead and someone else is alive at 500 hp, I need to do more damage or get a heal.

If I'm dead and someone else is alive at 5000 hp, I need more than a little extra damage or a spot heal.

I don't need target of target. I can tell who my teammate is attacking by looking at the screen.

Oooook then. So the threat meter isn't for this guy.

These are not a necessity for 95% of the player base (maybe even 99%), it makes lots of sense to most people. Man I would love to see people like you in front of a keyboard coding so I can tear up your work :)

Where are these numbers coming from, exactly?

I'd love to see you doing some actual research so I can tear up your work :)

You need a threat meter to know how much threat you and others are at, or would you rather just use your abilities randomly and hope for the best? Makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense. Know your rotation (which is not "using abilities randomly"), know what your abilities do. I know a Flame Burst won't generate a ton of threat. I know a Flamethrower will definitely pull aggro.

You need a dps meter to see how you and others are performing. If you hit enrage timer on a boss for example, you check your damagemeter and you see that the other dps is doing barely half of yours, there you go that's the problem. Right now there is no way of knowing how you or others are performing, you just have to guess, which again, makes no sense.

Who cares how others are performing? If the boss is taking a long time to die, DPS needs to step it up. If the tank is taking a ton of damage, the healers need to step it up.

Damage Meters just give you a reason to point the finger and not take the blame.

Again, not a "need" (well, unless you're an elitest *****)

You think you have refined your rotation, most likely there are 10 others that are much better, yet again, you just guess and hope for the best. Could it be better? Yes. Does it need to be? If you want to succeed at anything, I has to be.

It's called trial and error. Also it's called the "class forum boards." Plenty of discussions on rotations and *gasp* TRIAL AND ERROR happening there, sparking conversation and community involvement between the classes.

Your comment about macros just proves how clueless you are.

Currently the UI is very stupid with limited and few buttons.

Macros aren't needed. The UI is bounds better at release than any other MMO

I have four abilities that have no GCD that I use together, this requires two to three seconds to activate because I am having to press 4 different binds aswell as game no having the best response time. With a macro I could put these into one button, making it easier and more effective aswell as saving 3 buttons where I could put other abilities to smoothen the gameplay.

Sweet. Maybe you should make a program that plays the game for you too? That's called laziness. Not "need for macros"

Macros are used to have two abilities on one key, using modifiers, very good and useful, say I want to use the same bind for different abilities? Just use macro modifier.

You arguments are stupid and you proves how clueless you are.

And your arguments are based on the fact that you either a) Want to put as minimal effort as possible into your gaming b) A crutch

Edited by Sykologist

A threat meter will tell me if I'm getting close to stealing aggro, and getting my face smeared off. My "internal aggro meter" doesn't have that feature.

Combat log has a number of uses and has been a no-brainer since EQ1.

Target of target allows you to quickly change targets and maintain the same target as the tank. It seems like it isn't complicated, but I'm seeing people attack three or four different targets pretty often.

While we are at it let's take away Health and Rage bars. I mean if you know how to play you'll know why the ability can't fire or you're dead, right?

No, the developers are the problem.

No target of target

No threat system

No threat meter

No damage meter

No macros

No combat logs

We are not spoiled if we would have these, these are a few of the ingredients to creating a successful MMO.

These things among others are a necessity.

Without key things being in a MMO, launched in 2011 with 6+ years of work put into it, why would people fund it? Makes no sense.

If your standard is WoW then yes those I guess would be neccessities. The fact is that there are tons of players that think that the standard is one or more of the following(which TOR may or may not have):

-Challenging content

-Immersion

-Good gear progression

-Customization and sideways progress

-A Developer that fosters a mature community

-The lack of questing on rails.

Impossible. Games cannot be played without those necessities.

Or maybe just some players can't play without them....hmm....

Or maybe, this game will die without them.

It's not about people not being able to play without them, obviously people can because everything is cleared.

Another stupid "argument".