Why are so many people saying this game is bad?

KingFastrod

This game is great doing your class story line - I loved the sorc story and finishing up that quest.

I want to be drawn into the Star Wars Universe and it doesn't do it in this game. It all feels superficial and full of fluff.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But don't worry Tera is about to release and they will all go there expecting a miracle only to rage against it a couple weeks later....

Yuck, no thank you... The first time I saw the short skirts with bunny tales...

:rolleyes:

No thank you...

People didn't move on. Everytime they release new content everyone is going to resub to play it, and then probably take a hiatus again. That's a large portion of what the people in other MMO's do.

The only significant bugs that exist at this time are in raids. 3 months and we're still fighting bugs in raids as they are more challenging than the bosses. The first time I went into EV and hit the platform bugs, I thought it was part of the game. Like a penalty for not doing it correct the first time, apparently not. Now, some of those bugs have been fixed. My guild's main ops group can burn EV normal in 30-45 minutes. Bring in new guys and it takes 4 hours, why? Because the pylons in last stage of SOA are graphically bugged and appearing on opposite side of screen from where they are making the tanks drop them thinking that they positioned SOA in the correct spot only to find out pylon dropped on opposite side. Experienced players set their graphics settings appropriately, new guys didn't know what to expect and could not anticipate this.

The more intricate a fight is, the more bugs appear.

Consistently running into a bug where can't use battle field rez on a character even though the cool down has been reset and it should be able to be used. This makes a fight unforgiving. On HM's now if a dps dies before 1/4 health on bosses like Bonethrasher, Karagga, SOA, we restart because each time we try a rez and it doesn't work.

16 man Karagga is harder than 8 man HM Karagga. Well you might say, well duh it's for 16 people. If it's THAT difficult it should reward loot similar to the difficulty level.

Rakata tank sets do not have correct tanking stats, have to strip mods from Columi gear.

Ilum is completely worthless. My server now sets up 2 farming ops group from both factions so we can complete that boring *** nascar game without taking all day doing it.

Why does speeder lvl 3 cost 300k but only give a 10% increase to speed? For 300k I can pick up rakata pieces from GTN.

Republic storyline is touchy feely and boring. Factions are consistently unbalanced. No one wants to a be a goody tooshu jedi.

Lack of new content, or lack of end game content discourages people from playing longer leading to down size in server populations. GTN has hardly any items on as a result. BIOCHEM is still only useful tradeskill resulting in implants being cheap, stims being cheap, but armor, weapons, EVERYTHING else being ridiculously over priced. Especially considering that it only takes 2 weeks to hit 50, another week or less to get full Columi.

GREEN MATRIX SHARDS. Rakata Energy Cubes so rare that I don't know of any marauders that actually wasted enough time looking for them to get the matrix cube.

Kaon Under Siege hard mode: Bonus Droid Boss. Takes alot of finesse to down him, especially with a pug group. Loot is crap.

All that said. I will continue to play this game. BF3 now requires an expansion to find multi player last time I tried and now apparently Origin doesn't recognize the fact that I have a registered version of the game. WOW is for 4 year olds. The atmosphere of that game is for little kids, deals with morally questionable things in game in toddler choices. At least SWTOR has a mature feeling to it. If murdering people for their insolence isn't for a mature audience, then I don't know what is.

And a response to something I read on here where SWTOR is a quest hub, period. GOOD. Wandering the world for hours looking for others sucks. If you want that huge expansive world, go play something else. I like the instances and the quest hub. Makes more sense than having 18 different world cities.

Maybe it's time for players to upgrade thier rigs? I hate that Devs have to dumb down the graphics on MMOs because some players can't or refuse to upgrade thier computers. Maybe if you can't afford a nice computer to take advantage of new games, then maybe a little playing and more working to earn some money.

Yuck, no thank you... The first time I saw the short skirts with bunny tales...

No thank you...

I agree, it looks like Aion but more Hello Kitty Online taste. And after FFXIV and Aion, I swore off all Asian MMOs forever. If swtor was an Asian-theme MMO I would not be here. I don't care how good the game is. Never again...

Why did so many people say these games were good?

http://warhammeronline.com/awards/index.php

http://www.riftgame.com/en/community/awards.php

Sorry Kourage, you just make it so easy sometimes. :p

This is what is called a logical fallacy. In fact it represents a number of them stemmig from converse fallacy, to hasty conclusion, conjunction, ludic, single cause, etc. etc.

This, in reality, demonstrates his point. The question was asked, the question was answered for this point in time, not a future expectation based on a faulty premise.

In short, the game will live and die based on the merrits of the game and its developers from this point on, but at this point in time, it is a success as demonstrated by the support the poster has provided. The argument has been put forth that this game, at this point in time, is a failure. The poster in question answered that, and did so with vigor. Putting forth an assumption based on an irrelevent example as a means of disparaging said poster has not contradicting the validity of his proof.

To demonstrate one of the major fallacies employed here one could hold up the may awards that Wow held as a means of contradicting the veracity of your statement.

GREEN MATRIX SHARDS. Rakata Energy Cubes so rare that I don't know of any marauders that actually wasted enough time looking for them to get the matrix cube.

Online guides are your friend. I got 4 of them in under 10 minutes. It's actually stupidly easy once you understand how they work.

Here is a classic example.

This is not an MMO. It is a MMORPG, vastly different then an MMO such as "Call of duty" only existing under the same catagory of MMO. There seems to be a noticable lack of understanding of the reality that MMORPGs always ship with the basic features, then add content and features as they grow and develope.

MMORPGs are, in the words of a recent Dev post, "a living, breathing world" that is constantly evolving and developing. If one were to read any of the developer's blogs, tweets, posts on this very board, they would see the plethora of changes and features all slated for instalment in the game, including action bars, a fully customizeble UI, guild banks, crafting changes (including end game crafting) etc. etc.

This game has had an outstanding launch, and they are already working on adding content and features. They've listened and are responding. The game has been fun to date, and shows great promise.

Not gonna disagree with what you're saying but for one thing. The, "a living breathing world" quote. This game is so far from that, it's not even funny. A living breathing world would not pigeonhole a player into one class, stated armor, sharded planets, crafting that has absolutely no affect on the economy, no real social interaction outside combat, no day night cycles, very limited character customization, very limited player species, no outside of combat system tools, very limited space game and more than i want to continue with.

Now that being said, the game has promise, to state that it has that living breathing world feel is just not true and I'm not sure if Bioware can or even wants to put that stuff in.

Edited by musicmann

The awards have a lot to do with the publisher being EA.

AoC was hyped and acclaimed by the media, but that didnt help for long because a mediocre mmo cannot survive for long no matter the hype.

Same for Rift.

My guess is that in a few months SWTOR will start adopting the same emergency survival strategy as Rift, namely selling the client for $5 on Steam in an attempt to get subs for a few more months.

Red herring? Straw man? Not sure which, but are we to assume that a statement made by random guy A on the internet holds more merrit then every major gaming outlet in the world? ;p

Here is a classic example.

This is not an MMO. It is a MMORPG, vastly different then an MMO such as "Call of duty" only existing under the same catagory of MMO. There seems to be a noticable lack of understanding of the reality that MMORPGs always ship with the basic features, then add content and features as they grow and develope.

MMORPGs are, in the words of a recent Dev post, "a living, breathing world" that is constantly evolving and developing. If one were to read any of the developer's blogs, tweets, posts on this very board, they would see the plethora of changes and features all slated for instalment in the game, including action bars, a fully customizeble UI, guild banks, crafting changes (including end game crafting) etc. etc.

This game has had an outstanding launch, and they are already working on adding content and features. They've listened and are responding. The game has been fun to date, and shows great promise.

That's my point, this game can hardly be classified as a 'living, breathing world'. It's small, enclosed and static. Every single planet and area is sharded. Poor customization, everyone looks the same, little social interaction, nothing to do apart from combat, useless crafting. That is not a true MMORPG, just like the first Guild Wars wasn't (hey but guess what, they didn't charge me 15$ a month)

Edited by Esaru

Not gonna disagree with what you're saying but for one thing. The, "a living breathing world" quote. This game is so far from that, it's not even funny. A living breathing world would not pigeonhole a player into one class, stated armor, sharded planets, crafting that has absolutely no affect on the economy, no real social interaction outside combat, no day night cycles, very limited character customization, very limited player species, no outside of combat system tools, very limited space game and more than i want to continue with.

Now that being said, the game has promise, to state that it's has that living breathing world feel is just not true and I'm not sure if Bioware can even or even wants to put that stuff in.

If you want a living breathing world, just go outside. :) All the critters and social interaction you can get.

This is what is called a logical fallacy. In fact it represents a number of them stemmig from converse fallacy, to hasty conclusion, conjunction, ludic, single cause, etc. etc.

This, in reality, demonstrates his point. The question was asked, the question was answered for this point in time, not a future expectation based on a faulty premise.

In short, the game will live and die based on the merrits of the game and its developers from this point on, but at this point in time, it is a success as demonstrated by the support the poster has provided. The argument has been put forth that this game, at this point in time, is a failure. The poster in question answered that, and did so with vigor. Putting forth an assumption based on an irrelevent example as a means of disparaging said poster has not contradicting the validity of his proof.

To demonstrate one of the major fallacies employed here one could hold up the may awards that Wow held as a means of contradicting the veracity of your statement.

Love how you're trying to sound supremely intelligent when the poster you're defending here is the one to initially make the fallacy ('why are people saying it's good, then? *link to award page*') and the poster you're quoting responded in kind. Stop pretending you actually have anything important to say, because you don't.

Edited by Esaru

No, it is simply "pointing out" another's flawed assumption. To imply that a game is "good" because its gotten awards is relatively meaningless since, so to speak, "beauty, in eye of the beholder, it is."

Not to mention that I have "gone rounds" with said poster previously and to describe the post in question as "with vigor" is hardly accurate given prior knowledge of their posting traits in divisive subjects.

Space Combat threads from before the wipe being the point of reference in this case.

;)

Your turn...

Edited by SirRobin

Love how you're trying to sound supremely intelligent when the poster you're defending here is the one to initially make the fallacy ('why are people saying it's good, then? *link to award page*') and the poster you're quoting responded in kind. Stop pretending you actually have anything important to say, because you don't.

I'm not "trying" to sound anything. I'm just replying. I will argue that, once one's argument is unvailed, attacking the poster is usually the next tactic. ;p

The poster commited no logical fallacy. A basic question was asked. That question was in regard to why people reflect upon this game in the way they do. The poster put forth information that would support the claim.

+10000

Real gamers received these faulty game mechanics as slaps in the face. Super scrub weekend gamers don't even know what we are talking about.

I thought MMOs were the lowest common denominator of games. You are not going to see supreme game mechanics in an MMO.

I'm not "trying" to sound anything. I'm just replying. I will argue that, once one's argument is unvailed, attacking the poster is usually the next tactic. ;p

The poster commited no logical fallacy. A basic question was asked. That question was in regard to why people reflect upon this game in the way they do. The poster put forth information that would support the claim.

More evidence, do you need?

Is SWTOR the Waterworld of MMOs? :csw_jabbapet:

That's my point, this game can hardly be classified as a 'living, breathing world'. It's small, enclosed and static. Every single planet and area is sharded. Poor customization, everyone looks the same, little social interaction, nothing to do apart from combat, useless crafting. That is not a true MMORPG, just like the first Guild Wars wasn't (hey but guess what, they didn't charge me 15$ a month)

"living, breathing world" is defined as an ever growning, constantly evolving world, not a static picture in time, especially when that picture is taken in the first month of release of a game with a designated lifespan of 5 to 10 years.

Further, your assesement is opinion, not fact. My opinion varies greatly. Who consider's themselve's right or wrong is irrelevent. What you or I "feel" is irrelevent unless stated as opinion, but as "proof" that the game is a failure? No.

No, it is simply "pointing out" another's flawed assumption. To imply that a game is "good" because its gotten awards is relatively meaningless since, so to speak, "beauty, in eye of the beholder, it is."

Not to mention that I have "gone rounds" with said poster previously and to describe the post in question as "with vigor" is hardly accurate given prior knowledge of their posting traits in divisive subjects.

Space Combat threads from before the wipe being the point of reference in this case.

;)

Your turn...

You would first have to define his "assumption" as I see no assumption made. You would then have to disprove his assumption beyond the use of fallacy.

As I stated, the question was asked. The poster demonstrated a viable answer based on factual data. Those awards were, in fact, given. Assuming that, regardless of those awards, the game will fail is an incorrect assumption based upon logical fallacy. To qualify such as proof based on a single game that held some awards is equally faulty logic as I losely demonstrated.

Your opinon of the poster, your opinion of his posting methods are largely irrelevant to the subject matter, no more or less then mine of you, be it positive or negative.

"living, breathing world" is defined as an ever growning, constantly evolving world, not a static picture in time, especially when that picture is taken in the first month of release of a game with a designated lifespan of 5 to 10 years.

Further, your assesement is opinion, not fact. My opinion varies greatly. Who consider's themselve's right or wrong is irrelevent. What you or I "feel" is irrelevent unless stated as opinion, but as "proof" that the game is a failure? No.

You think that in 5 years all the static, lifeless and flat environments found in SWTOR are going to suddenly become a big expansive world you can explore? No. This is how the game is. Cramped, closed planets that are heavily sharded with very little social interaction. That is NOT a living, breathing MMORPG world, no matter which way you spin it. It's not an opinion and frankly, it's not up for debate. The fact that you continuously try to pass off this game as a 'living breathing world that will evolve' is laughable. There is no MMO out there (save for Rift) that is as static and dead as this game is. It's worse than the original Guild Wars (again, didn't have to pay a monthly fee).

I also never said this game was a failure. Your emotional attachment to this game is clearly clouding your judgement, and it's a sign of weakness. I know you know that what I'm saying is true, you just refuse to accept it.

Edited by Esaru

First of all: Good. I can't wait for them to go back to WOW. Maybe the chat channels will have less of a "12 year old" mentality.

This game isn't a WOW killer. There is already a game out there that is the WOW killer. Wanna know what it is? Its WOW. They keep releasing the same "expansion" over and over. Wanna see what its like in a development meeting at Blizzard?

"Ok, we lost 2 million subscribers last year. Whats next?"

"Lets get the game released in China. That will give us another 4 million subscribers alone!!"

"How do we do that?"

"Pandas"

"Pandas?"

"Yes. Pandas."

"OH....I almost forgot....Lets add another 5 levels"

"ANOTHER FIVE LEVELS?!?!"

"Yes. But lets give away the first 20 levels"

"Pandas."

<3 This

The grass really is greener on the other side.

No its not. I can say that with absolute confidence. If you have never played the other MMO's then it will feel like it is. For a few months, then it will sink in. Because it is something new to experience depending on the MMO it may be even shorter than a few months. But it is not Greener. At its core. All the top MMO's today are the same. People are asking for features that are being developed as we speak. Its a brand new game. I'm glad they released it even without those features yet so we can at least play the game. Remember when everyone was like "i don't care about that stuff, i just want to play the game!" Now you can play the game, but they shouldn't cry, "hey wheres my guild bank!" etc. As i've said. Its leaps and bounds better than any other MMO to date. I don't feel the grind. I don't experience the frustrations I used to from say WoW for example. This game has removed all those pet peeves I had playing those other MMO's. Do I have other ones playing this one? Sure, but they are not game braking.