I appreciate that there aren't macro's and add-ons. Thanks BW!

CleverNameHere

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the folks who whine about one button to win macros must have played with some terrible players. I was in a ultra high end guild in wow and no one used a one button macro since warlocks in sunwell days. If you don't like macros don't use them, but give me my macros.

I hate typing out vent info and a macro is so much easier to hit.

Edited by knomore

I am astonishing how pathetic and spoiled the MMO comminuty is atm in their quest for "macros and addons".

Though wait.. its not MMO community in general.. its WoW players. They just dont realize how retarded they sound, since they think when million people say the same dumb thing it becomes right.

Except that macro and add-on support has been confirmed as a post-launch feature they're working on rolling out.

So you have the right idea to say "BW and EA are going to do what they're going to do", just the wrong conclusion.

If anyone seriously doesn't see the need for macros, level a Sentinel to at least 20 and then say it with a straight face. We're seriously drowning in necessary, but infrequently, used abilities that other classes simply don't have to deal with.

Guess I need to catch up on developments then.

Was aware some add on's were planned for the future but didn't know that macro's were definitely confirmed.

Guess EA & Bioware need to update their Terms of Service then, because until they do, what's in it stands, even if they put them in themselves.

All of the folks who whine about one button to win macros must have played with some terrible players. I was in a ultra high end guild in wow and no one used a one button macro since warlocks in sunwell days. If you don't like macros don't use them, but give me my macros.

No, but we can give you one way ticked back to WoW.

I'm glad there are no macro's

They just reduce required skill levels by reducing key presses and possible mis-presses.

But it's kind of irrelevant.

EA

Terms of service

Section 11: Rules of conduct.

You may violate the Terms of Service if, as determined by EA in its sole discretion, you:

- Use or distribute unauthorized "auto" software programs, "macro" software programs or other "cheat utility" software program or applications.

- Use any game hacking/altering/cheating software or tools.

- Modify or attempt to modify any file or any other part of the EA Service that EA does not specifically authorize you to modify.

- Post or communicate any person's real-world personal information using an EA Service.

- Attempt to interfere with, hack into or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers for an EA Service.

- Use and communicate exploits and/or cheats.

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

Bioware:

It violates BioWare's Terms of Service if you (or others using your Account) engage in any of the following behavior:

-Use or distribute “auto” software programs, “macro” software programs or other “cheat utility” software program or applications.

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

Pretty clear message there.

Don't use them.

so the argument, use/don't use, good or bad is irrelevant

Wow...Bioware broke their own TOS when they approved the Official Razer TOT Keyboard that has Macros built in. :rolleyes:

I'm glad there are no macro's

They just reduce required skill levels by reducing key presses and possible mis-presses.

Skill isn't about your dexterity at using a keyboard, and it isn't about sorting through poorly presented information either (aka looking at your buff icons to see if something proced).

It is about anticipating the tactics of the enemy and making the right choices at the right time.

The interface between you and the game should be as efficient as possible. Ideally you should never lose a fight because you accidentally slipped and pressed the wrong key, or because you didn't notice an important thing procing on you or on your adversary.

Some important cooldown don't have any visual effect at all. Want to avoid wasting your burst on a shadow jedi while he's using deflection? Good luck noticing it in the first place. With addons you could have had a warning and not fail to execute your tactics properly just because the UI sucks at communicating you important informations.

Addons aren't about automating the gameplay, they are about ironing out kinks in the interface between you and the game, and making it work best for you.

And since people have widely different tastes, sight, and such, there is no universal solution. Some people may prefer to be alerted of a proc by a sound, others by a visual flashing above their characters, etc.

Edited by Zlodo

I am astonishing how pathetic and spoiled the MMO comminuty is atm in their quest for "macros and addons".

Though wait.. its not MMO community in general.. its WoW players. They just dont realize how retarded they sound, since they think when million people say the same dumb thing it becomes right.

Just because a few hundred baddies hate macros doesn't make them right either.

I wouldn't mind them, to a point.

Granted certain addons/macros help gameplay. However, it would make me cry to see something like DPS meters, Gearscore, or that Healerkiller addon that marks where all the healers are, end up in this game.

Yes it would make you cry because no one will group with you after they see your performance.

Is it just TOR, or is it all the rest of MMOs as well where players perpetually whine and cry about WoW? Just once I'd like to play an MMO where people don't act like they're trying to escape from WoW like it was some kind of abusive relationship.

what is a macro? is that where you can bind 3 skills to one button?

It can be many things.

You can combine abilities that don't trigger the GCD to save Hot Bar space.

You can add conditionals so you can combine two abilities into one button (again saving Hot Bar space). So hitting the Keybind fires Ability One, hitting Shift + Keybind fires ability two.

Most posters here have no clue what macros do or how they would use them. They have a knee jerk negative reaction to anything that stinks of WOW and assume it must be used for exploits.

Wow...Bioware broke their own TOS when they approved the Official Razer TOT Keyboard that has Macros built in. :rolleyes:

Don't believe that ToS crap. It just contains a very general array of things that could indeed damage the game, and it's mostly for legal/formal reasons. You won't get warned for using external macros that bind 4 buttons to one, that would be just stupid and abusive.

Skill isn't about your dexterity at using a keyboard, and it isn't about sorting through poorly presented information either (aka looking at your buff icons to see if something proced).

It is about anticipating the tactics of the enemy and making the right choices at the right time.

The interface between you and the game should be as efficient as possible. Ideally you should never lose a fight because you accidentally slipped and pressed the wrong key, or because you didn't notice an important thing procing on you or on your adversary.

Some important cooldown don't have any visual effect at all. Want to avoid wasting your burst on a shadow jedi while he's using deflection? Good luck noticing it in the first place. With addons you could have had a warning and not fail to execute your tactics properly just because the UI sucks.

Addons aren't about automating the gameplay, they are about ironing out kinks in the interface between you and the game, and making it work best for you.

And since people have widely different tastes, sight, and such, there is no universal solution. Some people may prefer to be alerted of a proc by a sound, others by a visual flashing above their characters, etc.

Its like saying dexterity, reaction and driver skill does not matter at races - fine tunning the car, planning pit stops, adjusting aerodinamics requires much more skill than actual "driving". A moot argument.

If you want a game when the "skill" that matters is only one of planning and reacting, as its apparently "the higher level of skill" - go play chess, though i think you`d need some macros that would suggest you moves there as well... for a deeper gameplay level..

Golf might be one of most competitive sports existing, but please.. dont compare it to real fights and martial arts, or any "real" sport for that matter.

Same here - if you feel disadvantage since you have to rely on your dexterity, reaction and concentration instead of simply choosing "right tactic", you might try to choose another game - not try to ruin ours.

It can be many things.

You can combine abilities that don't trigger the GCD to save Hot Bar space.

You can add conditionals so you can combine two abilities into one button (again saving Hot Bar space). So hitting the Keybind fires Ability One, hitting Shift + Keybind fires ability two.

Most posters here have no clue what macros do or how they would use them. They have a knee jerk negative reaction to anything that stinks of WOW and assume it must be used for exploits.

The biggest use, for my character, would be allowing keybindings to group up and do "double-duty". The Sentinel is very dependent on conditionals, i.e. we need to achieve x in situation y, and not necessarily simply "use this ability". In many cases, like for our resource generation (focus) at level 26 I have two primary ways to generate focus: a CD ability that generates a bunch and a GCD ability that generates a little. What I would like, ideally, would be a macro that allows me to use my "big focus generation" if it isn't on cooldown and the "small focus generation" ability if the first isn't available. Essentially, it would allow me to bind keys by situation instead of having to seek out and find the ability I need out of the, seriously, 25+ that we end up using regularly.

Its like saying dexterity, reaction and driver skill does not matter at races - fine tunning the car, planning pit stops, adjusting aerodinamics requires much more skill than actual "driving". A moot argument.

If you want a game when the "skill" that matters is only one of planning and reacting, as its apparently "the higher level of skill" - go play chess, though i think you`d need some macros that would suggest you moves there as well... for a deeper gameplay level..

Golf might be one of most competitive sports existing, but please.. dont compare it to real fights and martial arts, or any "real" sport for that matter.

Same here - if you feel disadvantage since you have to rely on your dexterity, reaction and concentration instead of simply choosing "right tactic", you might try to choose another game - not try to ruin ours.

If you don't like macros, feel free to not use them. No one is forcing you to do it and the game is very much playable for you without them, it seems. But don't *********** take away my liberty to use a feature that doesn't affect YOU in any way.

I don't see the issue with macros, although quite honestly don't care if they are put in or not; in any case if I really wanted to I could probably setup macros with my naga or nostramo without detection, which I suspect anyone who really wants to use macros is already doing.

But seriously, all a macro would do for most is a preset combination of abilities;

e.g. for healer: shield, HoT, big heal.

If that is a fairly common used rotation which you use, then why not let players do it, they are using that combination of skills anyway?!

I know what I'm going to press, 1, 2, 3 so why not let me just press 1, 1, 1 (e.g. nerfed buttons type interface) or even simpler just 1 (macro interface).

In my opinion for most, this would disadvantage you anyway, as preset macros - except in the simplest PvE scenarios - restrict your gameplay, especially in PvP.

I'm perfectly happy without macros though, its not like pressing e.g. 1, 2, 3 is that hard anyway!!

The one thing that does need addressing though, is the UI; please let it be more customised!!! especially where the quickslot bars are!

Anyone know if there is a global UI scale also which reduces UI size? Am used to a muuuuuch smaller UI for less screen clutter

Title says it all.

I like the game without macro's and add-on's that allow you to spam one button for everything. I currently play a level 40 combat medic and enjoy the thought process that goes through when playing.

Please don't cave in to the lazy.

Macros and UI mods don't necessarily have anything to do with laziness.

I'd say most of us don't care so much about macros and mods that do the work for us, but that clean up the interface and just make it easier to manage our massive array of skills.

State modifier macros are nice because they allow you to use a single hotkey on your hotbar to bind 2-4 abilites using shift/alt/ctrl. You still have to press the combination of keys to activate the keybind, but you've reduced the amount of garbage on screen by one half to one fourth. That's a good thing, really... and it's not being lazy... it's being efficient and organized.

Being able to resize and arrange the user interface the way I want it to look isn't lazy either. Some of us just like to maximize the amount of viewable area in game, and that's really not possible with the default UI. You just have to be able to mod it to achieve a minimalist ui.

Ive never used macros before other than VERY simple binds that, for instance, did certain emotes with funny text than the default.

Ive never used them for combat, mostly because I found I didnt need to.

Personally, I dont think the UI is that great in game and look forward to customize-able UIs. However I wont shed a tear if macros never make it in game. Not hatin on the macro users, but rather I could just care less if they are there.

I think one thing is funny though. No matter how many of these threads I read I have yet to see a self-proclaimed macro user refute the claim that eventually macros develop into a "use it or get booted from PUGs" type thing. Wonder why that is.

Didn't know macros could make suggestions, thought that was addons.

Currently, the UI is not advanced enough to allow me to use my full dexterity and reaction time.

I would simply like to modify it so that my thoughts are translated into action as quickly as possible.

The UI is stunting my physical ability to play.

Do you understand this concept?

The UI can only allow the functional input of X actions per minute, I can perform Y actions per minute, I want to modify the UI to allow my full use of Y actions per minute.

Right now, the UI is an artificial handicap.

The part of all this that gets under my skin is this assumption that everyone wants to play the game the same way and for the same reasons as someone else. I see a lot of whining about how macros and add-ons will "ruin" the game and make it easier for players to play better.

I honestly don't see the issue. Not everyone sees this as some sort of competition. I want to have fun and play the game. I don't have the time or interest to be in raids three times a week until 2am, it just isn't an option for me now that I'm no longer in college.

I don't care if it makes it so every player who gets to 50 can go toe-to-toe with anyone else in PvE, and frankly anything that allows a player to experience the game a bit easier is good by me. I have no overarching need to be "better" than anyone else, which is what most of it comes down to.

I often feel like if the "hardcore" crowd had their way, the game would only be accessible to those who are playing 50 hours a week, which is just insane. Hell, I'm on an RP server as much for the more relaxed approach to content as for the RP.