The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWTOR More Active Players than WoW!

Tiriensoul

The vast majority of wows player base has never once stepped foot inside a Raid. I just was on Argent Dawn which just one year ago you could not walk through the streets of stormwind because it was so packed...stormwind had maybe five people the entire server is dead.

So yeah end game content that works but hardly anyone plays anymore. :rolleyes:

Yup wow is completely dead servers with low populations never happened in WoW. You'd be surprised how many people leave Realms because of lack of progression and anything going on

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP is clearly trolling.

Which is obvious since for wowrealms to get an accurate number, it would have to simultaneously have people in every zone on every continent on every wow server with the mod at the same time and then have them manually upload that info. Which would be hundreds of people. They don't have this; as wowrealms has been a defunct site for quite a long time now. Which anyone can see since their last news up date was in Dec. 2010.

Go back to your bridge.

/thread

Useless thread is useless. Op tried to troll forums and failed.

I want Swtor to get better and succeed, but this kind of thread is pathetic.

Yup. AoC is super awesome now, WITH SO MANY SUBS ZOMG!!!!!!!

Start contribute and stop behaving like a 19 year old.

Mature posts much?

ROFL, warcraft realms is the most unreliable source for censusing WoW in the world. You're essentially arguing that 85% of the people who sub for WoW don't play the game at all, which makes absolutely zero sense.

zero sense ?

only if you are totally ignorant of the reality of subscriptions/users/registrants to users/customers ratio.

subscriptions/registrations are a plenty in ANY given thing on the internet. but, 1 to 1000 ratio always works since 1999 :

1 out of 1000 visitors to a page take action, 1 out of 1000 of those who take action stay there.

this means, if a forum has 1000 visitors (unique a day), generally it would receive 1 real person registering in the forum. and out of all such 1000, you would have around 1 active users.

try that - it does not fail. it is also the general clickthrough ratio used in advertising.

this ratio increases to 3 per 1000 or at most 5 per 1000 with the nicheness of the community, or attractiveness of the ad or product. or game. does not matter.

it is no different in mmo subscriptions. majority of those 10 million subscriptions are subscriptions who were brought into game by their friends. mostly through invitations, playtimes, freetimes, gifts and whatnot. they do not stay. i have seen countless people trying to get their gf/wife used to the game. rare was the person who succeeded.

and there are A LOT of subscribers like me who are still having their record and credit card in battle net systems, without paying ANY thing or playing since years. (1.5 years for me).

so yes. your active subscribers who actively play in wow should be around what they name it to be. it may go over or double or triple the 1 to 1000 rule due to being something that is very niche, but the ratio of players to existing records should be comparably disparaged.

zero sense ?

only if you are totally ignorant of the reality of subscriptions/users/registrants to users/customers ratio.

subscriptions/registrations are a plenty in ANY given thing on the internet. but, 1 to 1000 ratio always works since 1999 :

1 out of 1000 visitors to a page take action, 1 out of 1000 of those who take action stay there.

this means, if a forum has 1000 visitors (unique a day), generally it would receive 1 real person registering in the forum. and out of all such 1000, you would have around 1 active users.

try that - it does not fail. it is also the general clickthrough ratio used in advertising.

this ratio increases to 3 per 1000 or at most 5 per 1000 with the nicheness of the community, or attractiveness of the ad or product. or game. does not matter.

it is no different in mmo subscriptions. majority of those 10 million subscriptions are subscriptions who were brought into game by their friends. mostly through invitations, playtimes, freetimes, gifts and whatnot. they do not stay. i have seen countless people trying to get their gf/wife used to the game. rare was the person who succeeded.

and there are A LOT of subscribers like me who are still having their record and credit card in battle net systems, without paying ANY thing or playing since years. (1.5 years for me).

so yes. your active subscribers who actively play in wow should be around what they name it to be. it may go over or double or triple the 1 to 1000 rule due to being something that is very niche, but the ratio of players to existing records should be comparably disparaged.

ok 10 million Subs are people who play WoW(including china) i believe its around 30-40 million people who have tried out wow on trials and such accounts and canceled.

Warcraft Realms is outdated as always and it used to(i believe) require an Addon that the people on the site themselves have to keep on in every zone in every spot of the game to get all the people playing.

It really is a terrible site

ok 10 million Subs are people who play WoW(including china) i believe its around 30-40 million people who have tried out wow on trials and such accounts and canceled.

Warcraft Realms is outdated as always and it used to(i believe) require an Addon that the people on the site themselves have to keep on in every zone in every spot of the game to get all the people playing.

It really is a terrible site

well, then let me wake you up to some important fact about advertising/marketing :

you always boast accounts - it doesnt matter whether your site/forum/community/game/whatever has 100,000 irrelevant accounts registered - you count them within your userbase to boost your value.

so you may have 500,000 users registered on a major community forum, but only 100,000 may be real people and rest spambots or smurf accounts. but, when advertising it, you say your community is 500,000 people strong ! and you sell the site over that value.

its no different in games. even if you have 8 million inactive subscriptions, you advertise it as 10 million people cant be wrong' -> how my guildies were persuaded to try wow btw.

and when boasting to shareholders in shareholder meetings, its 'we have 10 million accounts' ....

the truth is its impossible to have that many paying subscribers. leave aside active players.

Yep, and aion(which is going F2P) and rift

dont underestimate f2p.

it is a MAJOR moneymaker in social gaming arena. see, farmville is f2p, but it has 80 million players, 5% of which have actually paid to buy stuff. that makes 4 million people paying to zygna.

the amout is not limited to 15 or anything - they may have paid anywhere from 5 to 25. and zygna did nothing for that.

a while ago the mmo companies noticed this success, and trying to adapt it to mmo games. this is why wow came up with a lot of paid services ranging from character recustomization to character transfers, this that. it makes good money.

someone is going to hit it big with f2p. and hitting it big with f2p requires a huge userbase. and that's the main reason for going f2p.

Well I play the game and I dont see these players enjoying themselves. I see people spaming to find a group for some activity and failing. I see a handfull of insular guilds some of whom dont seem to support their own members. I see a game for misanthropes to feel better about themselves.

wait, are you talking about this general discussion forum?

and when boasting to shareholders in shareholder meetings, its 'we have 10 million accounts' ....

the truth is its impossible to have that many paying subscribers. leave aside active players.

:/ Not really. "Active subscribers" means they're talking about accounts which, at the time of their survey, were in an active status either from subscription or game cards. Share holders want to know how much money is coming in; this is why Blizzard states "active subscribers". They, at one point, had something around 12 million active subscribers. 2 million didn't just "disappear". Logically, those 2 million ceased to pay their subscription. If Blizzard were just advertising the total accounts existing in their DB, why wouldn't they continue to say 12 million?

Take into account the number of gold farmers that used to use countless trial accounts to push their sales, as well as the number of players that create trial accounts just to play WoW for a little while when they're bored and don't feel like paying...The number of accounts existing in their database could very well surpass 12 million, while they still only have 10m paying players.

It may seem improbable to you, but no, it's not impossible to have that many paying subscribers. It would be impossible if there were less than 10 million people on earth or less than 10 million people with a lifestyle and home capable of supporting MMO play...

Keep in mind that there are players that pay for multiple accounts. There are also people like me, who will pay for multiple games. Just because TOR gained my subscription doesn't mean WoW lost it. :)

Edited by Eonidae

well, then let me wake you up to some important fact about advertising/marketing :

you always boast accounts - it doesnt matter whether your site/forum/community/game/whatever has 100,000 irrelevant accounts registered - you count them within your userbase to boost your value.

so you may have 500,000 users registered on a major community forum, but only 100,000 may be real people and rest spambots or smurf accounts. but, when advertising it, you say your community is 500,000 people strong ! and you sell the site over that value.

its no different in games. even if you have 8 million inactive subscriptions, you advertise it as 10 million people cant be wrong' -> how my guildies were persuaded to try wow btw.

Ummm no the 10.3 million from the Quarterly report are that many people with active open paying Accounts. The 30-40 that have tried it are what you are saying they would normally say if they're trying to Inflate numbers.

And no its not impossible idk how u can possibly think that lol

From looking around, I can get no firm figures for WoW's concurrent users. However, it looks like, as a very rough guide, usually around 10-15% of any MMO's active subscriptions are logged in at the peak times of any given day (SWTOR is probably a bit higher than that at the moment because we're still in the launch period). Given that the last figure I can see for WoW was 10.3 million at the end of September, that would mean roughly 1-1.5 million folk are playing WoW worldwide at peak times. The reason the figures given in the OP's link is so far off is that it relies on data collected using a mod, and therefore is only as reliable as the data people feel like providing via this mod. Considering even doing a cursory poke around reveals missing and/or obviously inaccurate data for some of the European and US servers, and ZERO data for any other servers, such as the Chinese and Korean ones, that's not really reliable at all.

Except that would make it false advertisement, and mean that they lied to everyone, I highly doubt they are going to risk those kinds of problems. Their press releases state they have 10 million active paying subscribers. Until you can prove those statements otherwise, stating anything else is libel.

World Of Warcraft:

World of Warcraft has total of 266435 players weekly average logged on peak hours in US and EU regions combined.

Link: http://www.warcraftrealms.com/weeklyfactionactivity.php

Star Wars The Old Republic:

The firm estimates that TOR has approximately 350,000 peak concurrent users spread across 215 servers.

Link: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/research-firm-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users/

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1057141-SWTOR-has-more-active-players-than-WOW-atm-in-US-and-EU-regions

Just found it, take it for what it is. But kinda neat anyway, if it's true ofcourse.

I don't care about either, as long as BioWare gets enough money to give us expansions and me a new car, boat & house.

:)

Warcraftrealms is an extremely unreliable source because it requires players to download a mod which then surveys everybody online at that one specific moment. It was much more reliable in 2006 but since then, very little people use it. The website itself states this. Additionally, if you look at individual server info, they state that they do not have enough information to gauge a server's population, in other words, they have nobody on that server, with that particular faction uploading data to be used by the website host.

Its unreliable. A more accurate number for WoW US would be around 2 million players, with EU being around 3 million and the rest in Asian

Again, OP is trying to get a rise out of people.

OP is still filled with misinformation.

Uhm, doubt you have any idea what you are talking about.

Most games to-date are for consoles. How do you think they get in enough money to make a sequel?

Console outsells PC everytime. Therefore developers make games to suit Console players before PC.

Before you start to talk, learn more about the subject at hand. Games.