The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Forced to change my character name?

Spankyjnco

My Trooper's name is Mario.. is that gonna be copyrighted too??

It is already copyrighted or trademarked in several console games, so yes your name violates Rule 4 of the EA Naming Policy

A article written by an Attorney about the tradmarked name Mario

Edited to add the above link as supporting source.

Edited by Ujest

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't listen to him. He's not even a moderator. :jawa_tongue:

... but yea, it's in the rule book.

That is true I am not even a moderator. I'm just someone trying to answer a question posted by another forum member.

If my Sith Warrior can tell-off an NPC by saying, "Save it for someone who gives a damn."

I'm pretty sure Spanky is A-OK.

Waaaay worse names, such as Dy'ke Lovoure, the level 50 Assassin on my server.

Edited by Brooding

Since CS sends auto replies, name reporting should be taken seriously. And they are so far behind and undermanned that a challenge can take weeks (months) and be more effort than just changing the name. For right or wrong, people should read this thread and think carefully when naming their toons. Some names anyone over 5 should know are going to get the smackdown yet we alll see them on occasion. Still some, like 'Spanky" catch you by surprise. Is it RPish? Depends on who you ask I guess..but vulgar? I have 8 kids (5 my own) and I'd be OK with an 'Uncle Spanky' if we had one. And to everyone who says you should be able to name your toon whatever you want, there are names that shouldn't be allowed anywhere in the world. Ever. They are that offensive to most of humanity. Need a list I can send them. I also think the publicly different server naming policy wasn't well thought out. Some servers I can have "Muffin Eater" and some not? Can cause confusion, enforcement problems, and is just way more simple to say 'This is our naming policy." The end. Very simple. Then behind the scenes if you care more on some, less on others sort it out. As a DEV, I'd do a quick fix and remove that blurb on the server select.

Check this out, I got a response back on my complaint and request to change my name back...

It basically stated that they were sorry there is nothing implemented currently to get a name change, or legacy name change, but perhaps in the future something would be implemented to allow players to change their names.

Now are you KIDDING ME? They do not read the Customer Service tickets. This is the.. oh I don't know 7th time I have had a response that was off from what my ticket was about. I wasn't inquiring about how to change my name as a general player, I was disputing that they forced a name change on my character... lol I hate this company.

That name is not vulgar, and in my opinion there isn't a thing wrong with it. Unfortunately, it seems whoever handled your case has their mind in the gutter. I'm sorry, but let's be honest.

If we're being honest ... then there is a vulgar connotation with the word. Hence why you yourself state that the person had their mind in the gutter.

If the guy's name was Reginald, even people with their mind in the gutter wouldn't find anything wrong with it.

Only in the most extreme of reaches, where we pretend "Spanky" in some way equals "Spank", which we then pretend is a sexual reference to the various things people spank.

Now, since we're shining a light all over the concept in this discussion we can understandably suggest that connection. But for someone (assuming they were actually paying attention and doing their job correctly) to ban the name because they saw "Spanky" and immediately thought crude thoughts is just disappointingly ridiculous. So, yes, in my opinion someone has their mind in the gutter if that's the first association they make when they see the name. I guess it says something about our current generation.

We can just as easily over-analyze your name, SnoggyMack. If we're still being honest there's all kinds of sexual "connotations" within it as well. It's just silly how overboard people can take this if we want to start reaching that far.

To the OP: I hope you get your name back, and I hope Bioware reviews their procedures in the process. Although, with all the CS nightmares I've read about on this forum (I have my own ticket that seems to have disappeared into a black hole) I don't have high hopes.

Spanky is against the general naming rules not because it's vulgar but because it's not rp-istic. BW is enforcing the naming rules on all servers, rp or not. The GMs don't scan for Darth Cockula or Lolpwner but if someone reports their names, the GMs do care about it.

there are gms in this game?

You're not alone. I just got a notice that my character name "xUnforgivenx" is somehow in violation of TOS and if not rectified, the account may be suspended or cancelled.

I'm relatively new to MMO's, but ive been "unforgiven" in some form for all my gaming experiences. If my name was in violation of something I really wish I was notified EARLIER instead of after I've spent most of my rare free time building my ccharacter only to discover I may have to start over. I hope that's not the case. I'm so put off by this game right now.

If they were going to enforce naming policies to the extent that X's in a name or "spanky" is a violation, they need the change name feature ALREADY implemented before they start waving their big stick around. It's not like we're intentionally being malicious. This is ridiculous.

Straight from the Game Policies website:

As far as the naming of characters, pets, guilds, items, etc. it is important to remember that BioWare reserves the right to change any name deemed inappropriate at any time,

Doesn't matter if you named your character something Star Wars appropriate or not, if Bioware thinks you need to change it you do. Period. Putting in a ticket is useless, you know what the deal is just drop it.

Only in the most extreme of reaches, where we pretend "Spanky" in some way equals "Spank", which we then pretend is a sexual reference to the various things people spank.

Now, since we're shining a light all over the concept in this discussion we can understandably suggest that connection. But for someone (assuming they were actually paying attention and doing their job correctly) to ban the name because they saw "Spanky" and immediately thought crude thoughts is just disappointingly ridiculous. So, yes, in my opinion someone has their mind in the gutter if that's the first association they make when they see the name. I guess it says something about our current generation.

We can just as easily over-analyze your name, SnoggyMack. If we're still being honest there's all kinds of sexual "connotations" within it as well. It's just silly how overboard people can take this if we want to start reaching that far.

To the OP: I hope you get your name back, and I hope Bioware reviews their procedures in the process. Although, with all the CS nightmares I've read about on this forum (I have my own ticket that seems to have disappeared into a black hole) I don't have high hopes.

Again. You know that he's wrong. They don't like his name so he has to change it. Period.

It's over. If he doesn't like it he can un-sub. Quit justifying things that are black and white.

Straight from the Game Policies website:

As far as the naming of characters, pets, guilds, items, etc. it is important to remember that BioWare reserves the right to change any name deemed inappropriate at any time,

Doesn't matter if you named your character something Star Wars appropriate or not, if Bioware thinks you need to change it you do. Period. Putting in a ticket is useless, you know what the deal is just drop it.

Regardless, Id still "fight" it. As long as you keep civil and constructive about it theres no reason not to keep pestering support. Theres nothing wrong with the name Spanky, and we cant let them think its perfectly fine to force renames just because someone reported it. Maybe they wont reconsider, youll probably never get the name back, but you should at least make them aware that Bioware is in error over this(again, being civil about it).

Spanky is against the general naming rules not because it's vulgar but because it's not rp-istic. BW is enforcing the naming rules on all servers, rp or not. The GMs don't scan for Darth Cockula or Lolpwner but if someone reports their names, the GMs do care about it.

Darth Cockula...

Best name ever.

You're not alone. I just got a notice that my character name "xUnforgivenx" is somehow in violation of TOS and if not rectified, the account may be suspended or cancelled.

I'm relatively new to MMO's, but ive been "unforgiven" in some form for all my gaming experiences. If my name was in violation of something I really wish I was notified EARLIER instead of after I've spent most of my rare free time building my ccharacter only to discover I may have to start over. I hope that's not the case. I'm so put off by this game right now.

If they were going to enforce naming policies to the extent that X's in a name or "spanky" is a violation, they need the change name feature ALREADY implemented before they start waving their big stick around. It's not like we're intentionally being malicious. This is ridiculous.

It's the "x" before and after. You were notified when you read and agreed to the ToS which includes the nameing policy. Didn't read it? If you had you may not have not put 'x" before and after. Spanky has a point to make. How is the name vulgar? He knows the name policy and is just in disagreement with it in this instance. But that's not the same as just not looking at it. And all of us are subject to the big stick. It's theirs to wave around.