Orange gear = motivation killer

Ultrazen

I like it. It gives the user choice in his equipment. I find it better than ditching a better looking piece of gear for something that has +1 more endurance.

How many male wizards in ... other games ... had to run around wearing a stupid veil for purposes of stats? Who would prefer that method?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and again, has anyone ever actually tried to use the armoring mods that drop in operations to see if the set bonus transfers with them? otherwise what would be the point of having them drop if they dont' allow you to have the same stats as raid gear?

No, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot transfer the set bonuses to the orange gear. In order to get the bonuses, you have to have the original gear. What I don't know, however, is how large the bonuses are, so whether or not you have to have the set bonuses to do the operations is something someone else will have to tell you, I'm afraid.

Yeah I disagree, I think Orange gear's a decent solution to a problem that's becoming more apparent as MMOs start to offer more looks customization possibilities.

I lucked on the right "look" for myself early on, and have found no gear I would prefer wearing (yet) and I'm extremely glad that I can keep that look.

A system more like LOTRO's would have been better (3 costume slots in which you can put any gear you like the look of, but have the stats of only the first slot always - slot 1 always ends up looking fugly, but it doesn't matter because you've got 2 other "looks sets" you can play with), IMHO, but this way of doing it is ok.

(IIRC, they had a system somewhat more LOTRO-like in an earlier beta, I guess they must have had their reasons for ditching it.)

There are as good, if not better, crafted items that you can create--ones with slots that standard Orange gear doesn't have.

You mean augment slots, that armormech can get on Orange crafted gear if they crit. Yeah Orange gear gets those too.

BioWare has stated in their Armoringn/Mod/Enhancement post that Orange gear would be viable all through out the game; it would just be HARDER to get the Orange gear to be competitive.

Orange sets are amazing. If anything they hit the mark and need to make it so they can be viable at end game to complete the viability of the system.

I am working on like 4 different looks for my BH, all of them amazingly done. All of them orange. I plan to outfit them all.

If anything the Orange gear should give you MORE incentive to find gear.

My Bh is working on Firebug, Hydra, Diatium Onslaught and Phobium Onslaught. Not too mention I stll find sets of normal gear I like as well.

Alexis

*smiles*

You mean augment slots, that armormech can get on Orange crafted gear if they crit. Yeah Orange gear gets those too.

BioWare has stated in their Armoringn/Mod/Enhancement post that Orange gear would be viable all through out the game; it would just be HARDER to get the Orange gear to be competitive.

And that is a brilliant solution that way the hard-cores can't say it was mailed to them. I really can't imagine why no one thought of this before.

thats just false right now. I wish it wasnt but as of right now even the mods that drop wont allow gear to equal raid gear based off of set bonuses alone.

I dont think its false.

I also like the idea of orange gear.

However, the issue right now with me is the set of gear I like

Plasteel Battle Headgear, jacket etc. is green lol.

I cant wait will I find an orange full set of an officer uniform for my IA.

Edited by Darth_Grissom

thats just false right now. I wish it wasnt but as of right now even the mods that drop wont allow gear to equal raid gear based off of set bonuses alone.

Yes, yes it will. Run the numbers yourself and see how the Rakata/BattleMaster gear can outdone by Orange; I didn't just say on par, I said outdone.

The reason it will be outdone, is because I get to tailor my Orange gear with the stats that I want, and not have to take a predetermined stat layout. If you want to you can just remove some of the mods enhancements from your purple Rakata gear to put in your Orange, then just wait for the purple rakata armoring mod/schematic to drop.

And here I thought the solution was to simply remove all non-orange gear.

Orange gear does kill motivation though the OP is incorrect as to what motivation it kills. For me, I vendor all non-oranges unless it's something I absolutely must have or don't have an orange I like already occupying the slot.

Looting mods is a much bigger deal for me because I actually use them; everything else is just vendor trash, blue, purple, green, whatever; it means nothing to me.

Edited by Cavadus

I really like the orange gear idea, always being vain with my armor I like that I can choose if I want this or that. Mostly when a new game start there isn't much armor to choose from.

Problem with this is, that I quickly will be collecting a lot of armor stashed aways in my storage because "I might want to use it later", rather than selling it

And that is a brilliant solution that way the hard-cores can't say it was mailed to them. I really can't imagine why no one thought of this before.

Exactly!!

Currently loot in Ops is randomly assigned, or however it works. But my points is that you HAVE to be on a Ops raid in order to get the armoring/mods/enhancements that drop.

I'm not sure how the purple 25 schematics work, if they are BoE and you can sell them, or if they are BoP (we need more info on this). But in order for your Orange gear to be competitive you will still have to Raid and PARTICIPATE.

Yes, yes it will. Run the numbers yourself and see how the Rakata/BattleMaster gear can outdone by Orange; I didn't just say on par, I said outdone.

The reason it will be outdone, is because I get to tailor my Orange gear with the stats that I want, and not have to take a predetermined stat layout. If you want to you can just remove some of the mods enhancements from your purple Rakata gear to put in your Orange, then just wait for the purple rakata armoring mod/schematic to drop.

you are misinformed unfortunately. that rakata gear and all endgame gear does not allow you to remove mods from it. I have not seen anyone put together better orange gear than endgame gear yet, I know I will try but from the discussions i had in beta and recently with people who have tested it. ...raid gear and endgame pvp gear can not be topped with orange gear. if you have proof otherwise than please link it and truly make my day. lol

Yep pretty much right even Darth Hater was talking about it (that is really where it was first discovered) Like I said it's pretty brilliant and makes the game not just about operations. I speculated they were going to do something like this after I got back from SDCC but when I mentioned it on the forums I got waylaid by the Raiders...it really doesn't diminish the raid game at all though it just dosen't make it all about Raiding.

what set bonuses are you referring to? i haven't seen anything that would make me want to take off my chosen good looking gear for that crap they are passing off as "epic" gear.

you are misinformed unfortunately. that rakata gear and all endgame gear does not allow you to remove mods from it. I have not seen anyone put together better orange gear than endgame gear yet, I know I will try but from the discussions i had in beta and recently with people who have tested it. ...raid gear and endgame pvp gear can not be topped with orange gear. if you have proof otherwise than please link it and truly make my day. lol

I remember a dev saying that all endgame gear cant be tampered with. So I know your not wrong in this part of the discussion. However, I think orange loot will be as good as raids.

Edited by Darth_Grissom

There was a DEV post that was stickied for ever that clarified the entire system..

and you do NOT take the mods out of the preset crap..

EPIC mods drop as well..

so that Orange wearers and update that they have.. instead of rolling on the goofy looking crap.

I honestly just have been banking the oranges since I usually find gear that's better without mods and even with similar mods the base armor value (heavy) is still typically better than the orange...

As you proceed you will come across some amazing mods right now I have two tricked out lightsabers at 35 that is better than anything I can get otherwise once I get max level I will be able to make them as good as what drops in EV and they look wicked as hell too.

Interesting opinion.

I, on the other, love the ability to change my look. My SW has three orange chest pieces: a hooded robe, a Batman cape, and robot gear. Depending on how I feel, I mix and match these to helms and boots.

It beats looking like a clown.

For me, a very fundamental mistake has been made in ToR regarding loot. One of driving forces for continued play, is the upgrading of loot/gear. Getting better looking, better performing gear is one of the lynchpins of these types of games. Orange gear almost entirely destroys this process.

I've been wearing the same gear since my teens. All I do is upgrade the mods in said gear every couple of levels. What this has done, has made quest rewards and gear finds completely meaningless to me, what's worse, I know in advance of receiving the quest reward that it's going to be meaningless. This, for me, is a major derailment as far as motivation to level/gear up goes.

Orange gear is one of the most complicated attempts at a wardrobe tab in history, and it has the side effect of marginalizing one basic motivation for game progression. The genie is out of the bottle at this point, and I'm not sure there's anything that could/should be done, but for me, a large part of the appeal of the game has been gutted.

When I go into one of the character story line quest at this point, where some sort of legendary foozle is the carrot at the end of it, the first thing I'm aware of, is that foozle isn't going to be any better or as good as what I already have.....that's a huge motivation killer.

Completely agree. Appreciate the well thought out post.