350k Conccurent users@peak times.

scfs

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares how many...or if it is successful or not. If you are having fun have fun. I am. If next week they pull the plug on it...so what. I got my fun out of the 60 bucks. Hell this is the first game I've enjoyed crafting... To many people worry about to many things... Enjoy the game or don't...play or don't. 10 players or 10 million won't change the fact that I am enjoying the game right now.

That is worldwide at about 3 times TORs current server numbers Again pitting TOR in a market that it isn't even a part of is silly That one million users was never just the western market Blizzards NA servers would melt if they had 1 million users on at once.

WoW has hit 1 million concurrent users in China ALONE. Not including NA and Europe. When Blizzard talks about 1 million concurrent users, they are talking about the servers THEY operate, which are in NA and Europe. The China servers aren't operated by Blizzard but rather by a company called NetEaze.

Edited by Mannic

That is worldwide at about 3 times TORs current server numbers Again pitting TOR in a market that it isn't even a part of is silly That one million users was never just the western market Blizzards NA servers would melt if they had 1 million users on at once.

Once again, no, Blizzard's 1 million concurrent is not worldwide. For a long time China was running 1 million concurrent by itself.

Once again, no, Blizzard's 1 million concurrent is not worldwide. For a long time China was running 1 million concurrent by itself.

You wouldn't happen to have the metrics from Blizzard to support that would you? Maybe a investor relations transcript or perhaps sever metrics?

That seems really low to me personally. Hell League of legends has more on at peak times than that I believe.

Thats around 1/3rd of claimed subs....All at one time. Thats a pretty good number when you think of how many 350k fits into 1 milion.

Given everyones different locations throughout the world and different schedules. The fact that 350k can find themselves on all at once is an impressive sign that this game is gonna make it.

Baird, a professional third party market researching firm that has access to metrics and information the lay person doesn't, says, so far, it's doing "just fine."

Yet all the experts on these forums says it's already "fail."

Hmmm.

350k out of a little over a million, how is that low? Now if they had say 5 million, then that would be on the low side. To have a 3rd of your entire subscription base online at peak doesn't seem low to me at all. If that statistic were to hold and their subs only grow, by the time we got to 5 million subs, we're talking over 2 million people on at peak hours, these are not low stats.

Baird, a professional third party market researching firm that has access to metrics and information the lay person doesn't, says, so far, it's doing "just fine."

Yet all the experts on these forums says it's already "fail."

Hmmm.

^^^

Maybe some of these people should become MMO market analysts. *rolls eyes*

You have to keep in mind that this is at peak time estimate--which is nebulous.

They likely looked at 5-7 PM PST--which is not peak time in all countries.

The number of people on your server, during your zone's peak time, will be much, much higher.

No - they did not choose a time. They probably looked at a graph (or whatever) that showed concurrent users vs time and saw the max. They may not have even noted the time, as it is unimportant.

I also want to address the whole minimal impact on WoW. The entire western market could quit WoW tomorrow and it would have a minimal impact simply because the bulk of their subscribers are in the Asian market; so again pitting TOR against a market it isn't even a part of is ridiculous to say the least. SWTOR right now (if Crowley & Associate's possible 2.9 million projection is right) is very close to WoW's western numbers; I still think WoW will edge them out simply because it is an established property...I would be very interested to see where the western numbers line up this time next year.

It would have a huge impact on their revenue.

The cost and subscription model in China is peanuts compared to the Western World. It's something that Blizzard has specifically said has affected their profit margin.

"While ‘Warcraft’ subscribers in China generate per-user revenue of about $1 per month for Activision, subscribers in Western markets account for about $15 per month, according to Michael Pachter of Wedbush."

http://segmentnext.com/2011/11/10/activision-shares-drop-due-to-loss-of-wow-subscribers/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/144446/wow_exceeds_1_million_concurrent_chinese_players.html

Unlike you, I can actually provide links to back up what I say. You just say it and hope gullible people believe you.

That is china I never disputed that; I disputed the claims of North America and china having one million each; considering China has eight million of Blizzard ten million population that isn't too hard to achieve.

Oh oh. The 'minimal apparent impact' statement might rile up the masses.

350k sounds a bit low to me though. That's only about 1500-1600 per server. Which really begs the question why instance?

League of Legends has a 30 something million account base.... It typically has a larger concurrent online population than WoW even.

League of Legends has a 30 something million account base.... It typically has a larger concurrent online population than WoW even.

From their stats post i believe its about 500k but then again ur comparing to a free to play all the way through game

It would have a huge impact on their revenue.

The cost and subscription model in China is peanuts compared to the Western World. It's something that Blizzard has specifically said has affected their profit margin.

"While ‘Warcraft’ subscribers in China generate per-user revenue of about $1 per month for Activision, subscribers in Western markets account for about $15 per month, according to Michael Pachter of Wedbush."

http://segmentnext.com/2011/11/10/activision-shares-drop-due-to-loss-of-wow-subscribers/

I really doubt his numbers; having lived in Korea I can tell you that the average Gamer spends a crap load of money on game-cafes and I wouldn't believe Wedbush if the said good morning. They are the most litigated investor group in California.

God..the misinformation... :rolleyes:

Let me put this in perspective folks. I am a consultant that has worked with Turbine SOE and I'm currently working with Vigil games.

350k concurrent users on a MMO is pretty impressive despite what the detractors say; even the guys who can up with the numbers say they were impressed. At launch LOTRO only had 75k concurrent users there is almost triple the population now and they are lucky to get 130k concurrent users. Friend of mine at Blizzard tells me the North American servers are fine as long as it's under 275K concurrent users

Oh and SWG did not have more; I was doing consulting for SOE during that time and the servers would start melting when more than 110k users were on which only happened twice. There are guys who are now on the TOR team that was there and can back that up.

Perspective it's whats for dinner.

Said it perfectly mate, most people seem to mistakenly think that online at peak means total users. Muppets will be muppets and there is little a good post can do for it.

Good post though mate, sadly they will ignore it.

Alexis

*smiles*

I'm not sure if this is a factor, but wouldn't SWTOR have 2 peak times really considering the game has US and EU players playing on different timezones.

If 'peak time' is 'peak time', then that would be the higher of US peak or EU peak. If the populations are equal in size that would probably equate to '700k users at peak time' (imagining some kind of curve where people wake up, do stuff, play in the afternoon and go to bed).

And if WoW says "hey, we have 1m at peak time in US and 1m at peak time in Europe!" then SWTOR would be 1/3 of that.

God..the misinformation... :rolleyes:

Let me put this in perspective folks. I am a consultant that has worked with Turbine SOE and I'm currently working with Vigil games.

350k concurrent users on a MMO is pretty impressive despite what the detractors say; even the guys who can up with the numbers say they were impressed. At launch LOTRO only had 75k concurrent users there is almost triple the population now and they are lucky to get 130k concurrent users. Friend of mine at Blizzard tells me the North American servers are fine as long as it's under 275K concurrent users

Oh and SWG did not have more; I was doing consulting for SOE during that time and the servers would start melting when more than 110k users were on which only happened twice. There are guys who are now on the TOR team that was there and can back that up.

Perspective it's whats for dinner.

QF Emphasis

*sigh* People really think 350k logged in at the same time is LOW?

It's funny how sometimes some people can forget that the whole world isn't awake at the same time. Our European friends are 5-7 hours later in time... So when you've come back from work, ate dinner, and start playing at 7-8pm, most Europeans are already asleep.