Is rolling GREED just as bad as rolling NEED if you don't need the gear?

Majestic_Jazz

What i really love is the people who wait to select last so they can pick need if everyone else picked greed...

ive ran into a few of those... usually i just wait them out hehehe... but yeah, i only roll need if i really do need something, and greed if i actually want it for my companions or if im just playing the flashpoint with people who have done it before as well.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What i really love is the people who wait to select last so they can pick need if everyone else picked greed...

ive ran into a few of those... usually i just wait them out hehehe... but yeah, i only roll need if i really do need something, and greed if i actually want it for my companions or if im just playing the flashpoint with people who have done it before as well.

I'm one of those people. Say a 1h gun drops. Mako uses 1h guns. Naturally, everyone is going to greed, so I may not get it (2 hour loot trade window, like some other game, anyone?). If the operative greeds or passes, I need on it so it doesn't get wasted.

Thinking more on whether companion should be need or not.

I guess it sort of boils down to what you primarily consider the game.

If you think about it mostly as a single player, story centric game, where you just happen to encounter other players and rarely group up to do something like a flashpoint or maybe even an operation, then needing for whichever companion you use makes perfect sense. It's a part of your character.

If you think about it mostly as a multiplayer game doing almost entirely operations, flashpoints and PvP, with all the effort done on the single player story and leveling a waste of time that gets in the way of the operations, flashpoints and PvP, then I can see why rolling need for your character would be anathema. ('Course, I'd also argue you're playing the wrong game.)

So I guess, in PUGs, you should assume that everybody is basically playing a story centric game, where they happen to group up occasionally. If they were in the latter category, they'd be in guilds, doing guild events, and thus not in PUGs anyways.

In Guild events, doing operations, flashpoints, etc. You should probably assume, (unless guild/whatever rules are otherwise) that people are generally thinking of it more as a multiplayer game doing pretty much everything together, with little/no need for companions, thus shouldn't need on stuff for them.

Of 'course, I'd also argue that "post game", (assuming there is a post game) I'd assume you're pretty much doing ALL group stuff, so shouldn't roll need for companions then either.

Need if your toon needs it.

Need if no one will use it, and it's an upgrade for your companion after asking if it would be ok to do so. (Like rolling for your alt spec in WoW, people would ask.)

Greed if you don't need it, or are going to sell it ect.

Pass if you're just really nice.

These are the polite rules for SWTOR, if you greed an item you don't need, it's fine, hence the greed. Pretty basic stuff.

Why would rolling greed be bad? Anyone that needs stuff will outroll it, its exactly what the title says - vendor thrash/stuff for alts etc. dunno why would I pass unless I just can't be bothered/don't have inv space, or am helping lower lvl friends and feel like passing all loot to them or something along those lines.

But shouldn't people have a bit more respect for the people they group with?

So they want to roll greed on an item to sell it at a vendor for probably 2K, that is fine, but at some point, where does the respect come into play? I could have rolled greed on many items to sell, but out of courtesy to my group, I click pass and allow it to go to someone who actually deserves it and will make better use of it for their character.

Those People will Role Need tahts what Need is for there's nothing disrespectful about rolling greed on an item. They probably think your passing 99% of the time because your bags are full or your already rich as hell.

Greed = Selling, Companions (unless the person asked then rolle need), breaking it down so the item doesn't go to waste.

Need = You personally Need it and are going to use it right away or as soon as you level for it (unless someone in you group is of appropriate level and needs it only fair really in my opinion to let them have it).

Not sure how its disrespectful to GREED on something thats exactly what the Greed Roll is for.

Need Rolls 25 Greed rolls 100 NEED gets it regardless.

Honestly this thread reeks of troll potentional :/ either that or the OP is completely oblviious to the Need / Greed concept. The only time I pass is if my bags are full.

Edited by Kindara

But shouldn't people have a bit more respect for the people they group with?

So they want to roll greed on an item to sell it at a vendor for probably 2K, that is fine, but at some point, where does the respect come into play? I could have rolled greed on many items to sell, but out of courtesy to my group, I click pass and allow it to go to someone who actually deserves it and will make better use of it for their character.

This coming from a guy who rolls NEED for his companions?

I haven't read this thread, so sorry if this has been said already, but here are my rules to live by in any need Vs greed systems....

Needing for myself - If I can use it on my PC, I roll need every time.

Needing for companions - If no one else in the group rolls need, and my companion can use the item, I'll roll need. If someone else has already rolled need and it's their primary stats (IE, AIM for a Bounty Hunter), I pass on the loot. If someone rolls need for their companion (Sith Warrior rolling need on cunning gear), and I also need it for mine, I roll need in this situation as well.

Greeding - If I can't use it and my companions can't use it, I roll greed.. every time. No sense in passing because if someone else actually needed it, they'd have rolled need.

Do this, and NO ONE will ever complain toward you for rolling on loot.

A lot of people, myself included, will do this when they need something for a companion. Believe it or not, this is actually me trying to be decent. I want to make sure you didn't need it for your PC before I need for my companion.

I'm one of those people. Say a 1h gun drops. Mako uses 1h guns. Naturally, everyone is going to greed, so I may not get it (2 hour loot trade window, like some other game, anyone?). If the operative greeds or passes, I need on it so it doesn't get wasted.

yeah I do that too sometimes, but when running with friends so there is no misunderstanding why. Faster to see if your buddy needs something without voice chat, if we had voice it would be solved differently but I can get tired/lazy to type.

The way I play, if it goes on my companion, I roll need, if it doesn't, I just roll pass.

With 5 companions that use every type of armor and weapon, I am guessing that not much gets passed on? I think they should just remove the greed option altogether since anything that drops will surely be usable by a companion if the player can't use it.

In truth I have used only one companion enough to warrant rolling for gear for her, and still never have. I outfitted her in mostly orange letter moddable gear and upgraded it with Enhancements I can make, or Armor/Mods/Barrels I buy with commendations. I just can't feel good about rolling need for companions no matter what, but if everyone else is going to then the only way to be fair is if I do as well.

Also, if you do the entire quest chain on a planet, gear for your companions is usually an optional reward if you don't want to go the orange-letter route.

I don't think rolling a need for your companion is warranted if someone else can actually use it on their main and rolls need.

However--

A good strategy is to always roll last. That way you can see who is needing for their companion (or just because they are a complete douche) and you can roll need if your companion needs it.

Peace

I rolled need and she rolled greed and won.....

So, you dont know how need/greed system works. If you rolled need and he rolled greed, there is no way he can get the item. If someone rolls need and all else rolls greed, need rolled gets it always. if 2 people rolled need and 2 greed, item would be rolled between 2 players who took need. If all in group rolls greed, then item is rolled between all players.

Need always wins greed... got it? You have passed items for nothing.

With 5 companions that use every type of armor and weapon, I am guessing that not much gets passed on?

Need should only (IMO) be used for companions you actually use.

Most people only actually use 1 of their companions, maybe 2. And almost certainly only really keep track of what would be an upgrade for 1 or 2 of them. And you don't roll need on something you *can* use, but wouldn't be an upgrade.