Who else doesn't want 3rd party UIs or Macros?

Miffy

Agreed. With the high number of abilities they chose to put in this game, it's simply not possible to use them all in an effective manner with the current UI.

I agree, there are too many abilities that are conditionally useful, a macro system to allow us to implement at least modifier keys would be exceptionally helpful.

Besides, macro coding is fun.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fraps, playclaw, and so on. every fp i run i and another bubba are running it, afterwards we go back over the data and find areas to improve on

lol

And may I ask, what data are you getting from Fraps? There's no combat log in the game. Are you playing the encounter back form 4 different captures, manually typing the numbers on the screen into a spreadsheet and then doing analysis?

So you use third party software in order to analyze and improve upon your performance? And you don't see how you advocating against addons is hugely hypocritical?

I had to log in just to comment how amazingly well put this post is.

I'm almost certain that the anti-macro/addon people have no idea what a macro or addon even is. I don't see how Bartender4 makes me play so much better (rather than making my UI nicer) or how Bagnon increases my DPS (puts all your bags into one slot - much like how SWTOR's inventory works).

I'm reminded of the dual spec debate - and anti-dual spec people thought dual spec was talking about switching advanced classes and not just changing talent points.

3rd part mods and add on's only lead to problems and cheating in the long run, I am against anything that does not come from Bioware, if Bioware does not release it I don;t need it.. I have played mmo's for 14 years never used them, not going to start now.. /shrug

The cheating thing is a head scratcher, but addons do come from the developer in the sense that they (the developer) control the API. Nothing can be done in an addon that the developer doesn't expressly allow.

3rd part mods and add on's only lead to problems and cheating in the long run, I am against anything that does not come from Bioware, if Bioware does not release it I don;t need it.. I have played mmo's for 14 years never used them, not going to start now.. /shrug

So don't use them.

This prohibition attitude people have is getting ridiculous.

Explain to us, clearly and succinctly without some hyperbolic ******** made up fantasy story about how a macro or addon constituted anything close to "cheating."

fraps, playclaw, and so on. every fp i run i and another bubba are running it, afterwards we go back over the data and find areas to improve on

I never said this system was great, fact is way back early in this thread i said lets get the ui fixed before we start screaming for ui mods and the like. we dont even have a text combat log and people are whinning about not having ToT and mous over healing. really? BW implements it and it will break for gods sake.

Fraps and playclaw don't give you near the information that a meter will and are far more of a hassle. Nevermind the fact that over the course of a raid NOBODY in their right mind is going to Fraps every attempt and look at it after each wipe, that's just comical. Should we also go back to using a two button nintendo controller?

This isn't freaking mega-man where everything is so simple. Some of us want to push for progression, not wait around for you to review the video of the last attempt and then blindly determine who was doing the encounter correctly and who wasn't.

Go play pinball. What a joke.

Funny, through dps meters and combat logs alone I've seen people learn through lots of mistakes. And with a stringent addon api, handholding is very, very limited.

Exactly.

How can anyone get any better if they have no clue that they can get better?

If you never know that you suck because you have no basis to build upon than you will always be a baddie. That's a fact.

Personally I find the lack of a combat log to be a HUGE failure on Biowares part. I'm not talking about a damage meter, UI customization or Mods. There is no COMBAT text in the chat window...NONE whatsoever.... Who in the heck was in charge of making that decisions?

The MMo population is competitive in nature. Whether they admit to it or not. Want to know why WoW made millions of dollars off of millions of subscriptions for multiple years? Because they made decisions that appealed to the competition. Plain and simple. Look into it, it'll blow your mind when you really look into it.

Note to Lucas Arts and Bioware shareholders: Whoever is in charge of deciding to not place a combat log tab in the chat window is going to lose you billions of potential dollars. Over time, it'll happen. History has taught us this truth.

This game has the potential to be a WoW killer, if and only if the right decision are made. Appeal to the competition and this game will blow the rest away.

Edited by Matchews

The cheating thing is a head scratcher, but addons do come from the developer in the sense that they (the developer) control the API. Nothing can be done in an addon that the developer doesn't expressly allow.

A lot of people don't seem to understand this. You say macro/mod they hear "cheat/making everything automated."

So many people don't understand this is the thing, and think that addons are more or less 'hacks' and that someone's actually cracking the game code.

The fact that these addons are nothing more than scripts using the api provided by the developers doesn't seem to sink in. Addons are as much 'cheating' as someone remapping their keys.

It's not about being too hard, it's about threat meter, damage meter, target of target and a combat log being necessity.
These are not necessities, these are luxuries.

I don't care if people want their luxuries, but it's goofy when people act like they can't live or play without them.

Games existed long before threat meters, damage meters, target of targeet and combat logs...people played them, people survived them, people conquered them.

I don't care if people want their luxuries, but it's goofy when people act like they can't live or play without them.

Games existed long before threat meters, damage meters, target of targeet and combat logs...people played them, people survived them, people conquered them.

so games should stay archaic because they were archaic at one point in time?

its called development for a reason.

Ya people also played games when the controller was one button and a stick. What is your point?

I'm almost certain that the anti-macro/addon people have no idea what a macro or addon even is. I don't see how Bartender4 makes me play so much better (rather than making my UI nicer) or how Bagnon increases my DPS (puts all your bags into one slot - much like how SWTOR's inventory works).

A lot of people don't seem to understand this. You say macro/mod they hear "cheat/making everything automated."

So many people don't understand this is the thing, and think that addons are more or less 'hacks' and that someone's actually cracking the game code.

The fact that these addons are nothing more than scripts using the api provided by the developers doesn't seem to sink in. Addons are as much 'cheating' as someone remapping their keys.

Pretty much.

If you want to get technical about it, games existed long before 3-d graphical engines. I used to play BBS door games and MUDs that were more or less MMOs except without any graphics or mouse controls.

If you want to get technical about it, games existed long before 3-d graphical engines. I used to play BBS door games and MUDs that were more or less MMOs except without any graphics or mouse controls.
Well, ultra technically, games existed long before any sort of computer existed.

I used to play those games as well. I had a lot of fun in some of them.

I never said people should haven't their new toys, just tired of listening to people complain they can't play these games without them. The game functions just fine without a threat meter. The game functions just fine without a damage meter. They are not even close to necessities in any definition or interpretation of the word.

If you say you like your damage meter and find it useful that's different than "OMG I HAVE NO DPS METER...IT'S A NECESSITY..SWTOR WILL FAIL WITHOUT IT".

Well, ultra technically, games existed long before any sort of computer existed.

I used to play those games as well. I had a lot of fun in some of them.

I never said people should haven't their new toys, just tired of listening to people complain they can't play these games without them. The game functions just fine without a threat meter. The game functions just fine without a damage meter. They are not even close to necessities in any definition or interpretation of the word.

If you say you like your damage meter and find it useful that's different than "OMG I HAVE NO DPS METER...IT'S A NECESSITY..SWTOR WILL FAIL WITHOUT IT".

well we dont need to play swtor, its a luxury. we should all go play chess.

It's equally "goofy" when people want to prohibit their usage, especially limiting cosmetic mods such as the ability to just rearrange the hot bars to suit my own playstyle.

Maybe you're right though, games existed forever without these things! Maybe we should all just go back to that method. **** playing SWTOR, I'm going to play Zork...oh wait.

So you use third party software in order to analyze and improve upon your performance? And you don't see how you advocating against addons is hugely hypocritical?

negative. i can sit back with my officers and review every step of a battle and see who screwed up where and come up with solutions on how to either train the dude up or approach the fight differently. the third partys you folks are advocating not only tell you what the boss will do WHILE IN COMBAT (agro, dps, heal meters), but turn the fight from something fun, exciting, and entertaining to something on autopilot.

if you cant see the difference, then its obvious that you have grown far to accustomed to hand holding

These forums sound like the Trion ones when Rift didnt have add-ons.

Trion was very against add-ons as well at one point. Now look they put them in just like Bioware will.

Bioware always was going to and still are. Which makes threads like this even more asinine.