Why do people throw a fit when somebody brings up changing AC?

CharagonIGN

I keep reading "I'm fine with Duel Spec, as long as you can't change your AC".

Who cares? What does it matter? As much as they'd like to believe otherwise, there isn't THAT much difference between the two.

I don't get why it would bother anybody, much less be a deal breaker.

Who cares? What does it matter? As much as they'd like to believe otherwise, there isn't THAT much difference between the two.

There is quite a substantial difference between Marauder and Juggernaut, which invalidates your argument.

ACs are their own classes. Swapping from Juggernaut to Marauder isn't like going from an Arms/Prot Warrior to a Fury Warrior to use a WoW analogy. It's more akin to going from an Arms Warrior to a Frost DK.

If this game exists in six months, I guarantee you will be able to pick your advanced class at level 1.

Source: Having played multiple MMOs who started off with this dull class system and watched it quickly get reverted to the traditional MMO class selection system. Every. Time. Being a level 15 healer or tank that can't heal or tank is a lot fun.

Edited by RecondoJoe

If this game exists in six months, I guarantee you will be able to pick your advanced class at level 1.

Source: Having played multiple MMOs who started off with this dull class system and watched it quickly get reverted to the traditional MMO class selection system. Every. Time. Being a level 15 healer or tank that can't heal or tank is a lot fun.

Which heal/tank classes can't heal or tank at level 15?

Edited by Heliotic

There is quite a substantial difference between Marauder and Juggernaut, which invalidates your argument.
That's the exception, not the rule. 3/4 classes in the game use identical gear.

ACs are their own classes. Swapping from Juggernaut to Marauder isn't like going from an Arms/Prot Warrior to a Fury Warrior to use a WoW analogy. It's more akin to going from an Arms Warrior to a Frost DK.
And?

Same character, same story, and a boat load of shared moves.

To continue the WoW comparison, there's more difference between a Bear Tank and a Boomkin than any of the ACs in SWTOR.

I'm not particularly for it. I just don't get why anybody would bother being against it. It doesn't matter to anybody but the player.

probably cos this subject has been repeatedly posted since beta, and the two camps of opinions were formed, i guess human nature means that they get fed up with keep hearing about it and get more and more ansy as time goes on

dunno just guessing

One is Fury, one is prot the difference is the armour they wear.

How in the world do you figure that? Only Inquisitors/Consular have a significant change in playstyle and it is damn near identical to druids with ranges/healer and melee/tank.

No matter how you spin it AC are basically just glorified talent trees at worst and souls (rift) at best.

Too bad the advanced classes do play A LOT differently.

Go try playing a Sith Sorcerer the same way you would play a Sith Assassin. If you could change that, it'd be like going from a priest to a rogue.

It's a druid

/full stop.

Edited by Pyrolight

One is Fury, one is prot the difference is the armour they wear.

No. Unless you mean Fury as the resource that is unique to the Sith Marauder, which is what substantially differentiates it from the Juggernaut.

How in the world do you figure that? Only Inquisitors/Consular have a significant change in playstyle and it is damn near identical to druids with ranges/healer and melee/tank.

No matter how you spin it AC are basically just glorified talent trees at worst and souls (rift) at best.

One is a straight up warrior port, with some elements of a DK tank thrown in (Juggernaut). The other is a strange combination of Death Knight, Fury Warrior, and even a Rogue or Feral Druid. Marauders have a unique resource system, apply their damage in different ways (bleeds vs armor reduction), and have a variety of moves tailored to their own skill trees and striking with two weapons. They are substantially different enough that they are two separate classes.

One is a straight up warrior port, with some elements of a DK tank thrown in (Juggernaut). The other is a strange combination of Death Knight, Fury Warrior, and even a Rogue or Feral Druid. Marauders have a unique resource system, apply their damage in different ways (bleeds vs armor reduction), and have a variety of moves tailored to their own skill trees and striking with two weapons. They are substantially different enough that they are two separate classes.

It's a Druid.

Because the game is built around class storylines? I thought that'd be pretty obvious.

The game isn't just built to tell a story. It's an MMO. Allowing people to just change their ENTIRE CLASS on a whim is a huge mistake in a game like this. I don't even want to go into the many reasons why because to me, it's pretty damn obvious enough.

Edited by Esaru

So then it shouldn't matter when it never happens. Goes both ways.

For the same reason you can't "respec" from Jedi Knight to Trooper. Each AC is a separate class. The only thing BW needs to address is the mechanic of choosing the AC. They should put the "Select this Advanced Class" button on the skill preview window and give it a confirmation prompt.

Otherwise, it's fine.

Because AC is a choice. An important one. I was entirely against AC changing and Dual Specing since this game was announced. Recently, however, I have changed my view of Dual specing. I want to solo as a dirty fighter (smuggler/scoundrel) and group as a healer. But AC changing I am entirely against. Your choices should have some sort of lasting impact.

And before anyone says (or if they already said) "If you don't like it, don't use it" well, thats not how it works. If I am the only one who doesn't change my AC, then I am at a disadvantage. Lets say I am speced as a gunslinger. Gunslinger is all dps (if i am not mistaken) Then a person on chat calls out for a healer for a [Heroic +4]. Oh man! I've been waiting for that quest for a while! But I have made the decision to not change my AC at all. But this other gunslinger, he made a different decision, he changed. So now he gets more opportunities than I do.

(This is all considering that I made the choice to be a pure DPS AC, and the other person did too. But the other person was tired of waiting, so he decided to switch to the other AC so he could get into Heroics and FP faster)

Which heal/tank classes can't heal or tank at level 15?

At 15 I switched my Assassin from "Tank" to DPS. What did this change? Nothing, literally. I could still tank and DPS the exact same as before. "Tanks" at low levels don't have taunts, they don't even have a defensive cool down unique to their tree, or any tanking capabilities other trees don't have access to (with no penalty).

At 15 on my Bounty Hunter I tried to heal, but the DPS of the mobs we were fighting out damaged my ******, slow-casting medical scan heal, so I just went ahead and switched to Arsenal. Virtually no point in being a healer at that level as even healers at that level are 99% DPS.

Trust me. Advanced Classes will be selected at level 1 if this game lasts long enough to be successful. No one wants to play a healer or a tank that isn't even a tank or healer for the first 25 levels of the game.

I got a 50 Commando, now i start a Vanguard.

Totally different classes. I get different dialogues cause i played first light, now dark. Lots of quests i missed out on my first go.

Dual Spec and changing AC is a bad idea.

I think i explained my subjective viewpoint of this in an older post. Comes down to people just wanting everything asap, which creates a situation in which nothing has value any more. As such no emotional binds form, which leads to the constant wandering of players from one AAA title to the next. Always in search of a quick fix , which self evidently never satisifies because people do not seem to understand where satisfaction and community come from.

Will stop rambling now.

Issue has been discussed but not resolved and I am going with the NOOOO AC swap.but dual spec within the AC I would gladly take. There are many times that players are looking for healers or tanks. My sage is specced DPS even though it has some heals the group wouldn't benefit fro me in the later Flashpoints heroics. There are many times I would like to heal in groups/war-zones/but not able without logging out and picking a character that can heal. I already plan on making a character for each AC but I don't want to make 48 characters to play all the ACs and their trees. the cost to respecc is ridiculous already.

The AC's play totally different from 1 another. I'm not sure how players don't' see it. I've been playing both trooper ACs and got to say they play so differently. Even with heavy Armour the commando doesn't take much punishment as opposed to the Vanguard. And that is right from the start. Yeah they get heals and if I'm not playing my rotation right (which I may not be) then I'm mostly healing myself and letting my companion do the tanking.

Same with guardian as opposed to sentinel. they play really differently. I think of it like AION where the Chanter and cleric have similar abilities within the Priest class but they are totally different classes together.

why the scoundrel and operative don't even have portable cover like the gunslinger. The gunslinger has tons of Ranged DPS while the scoundrel can get in with some stealth tricks or heal. totally different play-styles.

All in all they did a great job with the AC's. Even though they might implement it for say the ' i chose the wrong AC!!!' club but not when someone hits 50 and decides to change from a ranged DSP to tank or melee based character out of boredom.

Edited by DarthTenor

I'm assuming that each AC plays a different story.