Please give Power Techs a Rifle

leviathandragon

I feel this would give our class a much needed appeal, not asking to be a trooper don't want grenades/stock butt/etc just the option to use say a mandalorian assault rifle on my heavily armored PT with appropriate animation.

Perhaps my understanding is flawed but wasn't it much more common to see bounty hunters/mandalorians using rifles than the single/dual pistol combo? I understand why one AC went with pistols it makes sense as a lot of people like the Boba/Jango Fett archetype and that is fine but what about those of us that just want to be ****** blaster rifle using Mandalorians?

I'm not advocating that it be forced, simply add the additional proficiency as an option, I just feel so lame duck being forced to use a single pistol :(

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I feel fairly strongly about this too. Dual pistols or single pistol is cool, but we should have access to rifles and shotguns. Bounty hunter doesn't mean gunslinger, we are not smugglers, the dmg can be balanced fine and dandy across the board, it is a flavor thing. None of us want to have to stare at our two dinky pistols the entire game with gun envy....

oh and fix weapon preview, I want to at least see what it looks like to hold the guns I can't use. Also, as a side note, with only one weapon choice as an entire class it makes armstech less desirable than it should be. We just want choice, most everything about fixing our armor and fixing our gun selection is we want to be able to choose to look cool. I can't get a trench coat, I don't have a cape included in my class "look".

Our gun animations suck right now, we don't get cool sound effects like lightsabers and we don't have a flourish when we holster our weapons...we all are playing Bounty Hunter for the ******ery, not helmets that look like mushroom heads until 30th level and not for the helmets on our 50th pvp gear that look like moped turn signals. Give us some flare and a little love.

And I can understand that but honestly it's just more accurate to the storyline, when I was on Dromund Kass and fought the mandalorians with heavy blaster cannons I was like holy **** I want to be that guy but like I said I would settle for just having a rifle option.

It just sucks being confined to this tiny little pistol while I am all tanked up in heavy armor..it's very unappealing.

And it isn't like this would require much change would it? The trooper is supposed to be a near mirror of the BH isn't it? You'd just have to give powertechs the proficiency and all the abilities should work.

Heck if you wanted to get crazy (and this would probably require a serious overhaul/expansion) but I'd like to give at least one player class the ability to use blades/staffs primarily. If you want to talk about Canderous Ordo I always turned him melee with vibroblades/vibrostaffs.

Sith warriors can use them theoretically but in practice it never happens, I think most of our abilities require lightsabers. Scrap the shared 3rd tree and give mercs a dps tree for the staff and powertechs a dps tree for the blade + shield. There are already companions who function like this so there is a design precedent.

This of course would require a ton of work and is kind of a long term request. PTs with rifles would seem to be very easy to implement and would change little other than add to the appeal of the class and help the economy by increasing demand for aim rifles.

I'm sorry but please leave Jango Fett out of this. I dont think many people thought he was all that cool compared to the more ****** Fett: his son, Boba Fett - who by the way, sports a blaster carbine.

Both Dengar and IG-88 sport heavy blasters, so its a bit depressing that they use lolJango as their model for the bounty hunter.

Give us blaster rifles!

Seeing a hulking armored monster with two dinky pistols that could fit in a man purse is sad, to the point of being as hilarious as the Jedi.

And whenever I see Jedi swinging their lightsabers, I think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wjGw7YiVWw

Edited by -Leon

Probably one of my biggest disappointments was not that I'm limited to a blaster pistol, but that the offhand model on powertech is non-existent (Which is also the case for a few other classes). I was hoping that for a shield, there would be at least something acknowledging the fact that I had one equipped, just a little device or something (although I think a Blaster Pistol and Riot Shield would have been awesome). As it is, you go around, there's people with big guns, 2 lightsaber, 2 blasters, dual bladed lightsaber.... and we get 1 holdout blaster pistol...

PS: This can go for Sith Juggernauts and Sith Sorcerers. as well.

I feel this would give our class a much needed appeal, not asking to be a trooper don't want grenades/stock butt/etc just the option to use say a mandalorian assault rifle on my heavily armored PT with appropriate animation.

Perhaps my understanding is flawed but wasn't it much more common to see bounty hunters/mandalorians using rifles than the single/dual pistol combo? I understand why one AC went with pistols it makes sense as a lot of people like the Boba/Jango Fett archetype and that is fine but what about those of us that just want to be ****** blaster rifle using Mandalorians?

I'm not advocating that it be forced, simply add the additional proficiency as an option, I just feel so lame duck being forced to use a single pistol :(

Boba used a rifle.

Actually, in my opinion, one of the biggest disappointments with this game is the design decision to make every class only capable of using a single weapon.

Troopers should be able to use every firearm as well as melee (save a lightsaber)

Bounty Hunters should be the same.

Smugglers and Agents - I can see that their choices would be a little more limited, but they should have some choice.

Force users - let them use blaster pistols - why not? But then, why would they :)

What this would do is open up a lot more customization, as well as improve the crafting economy.

I was a carbineer in SWG, and I can't tell you how much fun it was to switch around weapons depending on the situation.

Let's hope this is implemented in the future.

I posted about this a lot in beta...

First off, animations are messed up right now anyway, the character responsiveness thread talks about this..

Second off to go back and rework EVERY animation to use a rifle would take a long time, and I would rather they use the dev team to fix actual bugs, or roll out new content.

As a Powertech I've just gotten used to my guy with a pistol, he's doing all kinds of tech stuff so looks cool enough to me...

Edited by Ndru

And that's great for you, but there are those of us who aren't happy with it the way it is, I don't want to get into an argument about resources or how much time it would take as neither of us are accountants for the company nor do we individually make decisions about resource allocation, I actually tend to get tired of people using this as an argument in MMORPG games I am merely putting out a complaint that I have with the class and I hope enough others feel the same to make our message heard and considered.

More customization for players can not be a bad thing in my book.

Second off to go back and rework EVERY animation to use a rifle would take a long time, and I would rather they use the dev team to fix actual bugs, or roll out new content.

QUOTE]

QA and content are different teams. Please stop thinking Bioware as one entity, there are different sub groups.

Devs have stated (and sadly it wasn't too long before release) that they still weren't keen on giving Powertechs rifles.

The only thing we can really do at this point is keep pushing for it and telling them how much we want it.

I completely agree with this, PT's need blaster rifles! For anyone thinking "what about their shield generator then, they can't hold a rifle and a shield!" I'll refer you to the assassin's who do just that. They use a duel light saber with a focus in the off-hand.

Give us rifles! PT's look retarded carrying around a little pistol and their light side counterparts get a HUGE cannon. :mad:

I completely agree with this, PT's need blaster rifles! For anyone thinking "what about their shield generator then, they can't hold a rifle and a shield!" I'll refer you to the assassin's who do just that. They use a duel light saber with a focus in the off-hand.

Give us rifles! PT's look retarded carrying around a little pistol and their light side counterparts get a HUGE cannon. :mad:

especially with the bigger body types...they're quite hilarious tbh