The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

And now I know why the game limits group sizes so small

MercArcher

I see this complaint on EVERY mmo game forum that has some PvP in it.

Someone tell me ... what MMO game can take 40vs40 PvP and NOT drop the FPS to single digits?

Seriously .. WTH do you people expect?

WoW, AoC, WAR, EvE, Rift, Aion. . .

Basically ANY mmo with decent pvp supports 40v40 battles in open world areas. Hell, WAR supported over 500 people per side with framerates staying above 30 for me (though that could cause the server to crash if they all decided to go through the same door at once). But saying that supporting 40v40 battles is rare for an mmo is just silly. ANY other mmo supports 80 players fighting in a relatively small area.

This game simply has horrible optimization. You see this everwhere, excessive sharding, horrible GTN and ridiculously long weekly maintenance.

Edited by Forkrul

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically ANY mmo with decent pvp supports 40v40 battles in open world areas. Hell, WAR supported over 500 people per side with framerates staying above 30 for me (though that could cause the server to crash if they all decided to go through the same door at once). But saying that supporting 40v40 battles is rare for an mmo is just silly. ANY other mmo supports 80 players fighting in a relatively small area.

This game simply has horrible optimization. You see this everwhere, excessive sharding, horrible GTN and ridiculously long weekly maintenance.

If you think aion can handle massive pvp then you never played it when it came out. it lagged out where you would hit the button and wait for your skill to go. Aion still runs 32 bit because they broke their 64 bit one.

Lets rephrase their comment.

What game within 2weeks of their launch was able to run 100v100 pvp without lag/drop in fps?

If you think aion can handle massive pvp then you never played it when it came out. it lagged out where you would hit the button and wait for your skill to go. Aion still runs 32 bit because they broke their 64 bit one.

Lets rephrase their comment.

What game within 2weeks of their launch was able to run 100v100 pvp without lag/drop in fps?

From personal experience WAR and Rift where both able to handle the numbers in the OP, Rift lagged out a bit with higher populations (mostly just not having everyone fully loaded for a while).

This should be the number one thread on the forums. This, above all else, is a death kiss to your MMO because it informs so many other design decisions and creates so many limitations.

Yup. When I read that the game cannot handle large groups anywhere, it explained a lot for me regarding PvP issues I am seeing. And you are right, it bodes poorly for the future, because if their basic engine is limited, it cannot be fixed.

Edited by Laserstrike

Worrying!

I've never crashed in over 6 years of MMO PvP due to large numbers.

In SWG we sometimes had 100 vs 100 at the Imperial Prison on Dathomir and though the slideshow was annoying I never crashed once because of it.

40 v 40 crashes people's systems atm on Ilum? Worrying indeed.

Relax, people used to intentionally crash the WOW servers by flooding a zone, and this went on for months after vanilla launch. They ultimately fixed it with server hardware upgrades. BW will fix this as well.

Every single MMO that has ever launched has had issues, they will get resolved. Be patient, let BW do their work. Things can't get fixed all at once over night. If you can't wait, just unsub and come back when the things you want fixed are fixed. Otherwise, be patient.

8v8 Battlegrounds, wonder why they didnt offer at least 12v12 and larger maps. Man I remember Alterac Valley in World of Warcraft years ago, that was epic....24/7 Alterac Valley and the meaning of Massive Multiplayer was given. Edited by BobaFurz

8v8 Battlegrounds, wonder why they didnt offer at least 12v12 and larger maps. Man I remember Alterac Valley in World of Warcraft years ago, that was epic....24/7 Alterac Valley and the meaning of Massive Multiplayer was given.

However fun that was, most people would QQ if a pvp warzone took that long. I personally miss those days, but in the day of the CoD frat boys PvP warzones can take 10 min tops.

Their forum and website servers can't handle large crowds, their forums can't handle search traffic so they remove it, the gtn can't handle traffic so they remove them from all but 2 locations and unlink those, they finally add the gtn search back in but as a 3rd layer filter because they can't handle the search traffic, their servers have small population caps with miniscule population caps in each shard of a zone because they can't handle traffic. . .

Sorry, but I needed to get that rant out. Oh, and sorry about the terrible run-on sentence above, too.

Quoted because i need an good outcry, too.

Edited by Ommm

Lineage 2, hindemith server: first aden siege.

A clan of 37 hardcore L2 pvpers by the name of OutLawZ stormed and took aden from the npc's in under 47 mins.

While 3000 players sat just outside the siege area spectating and waiting for the clan to take aden.

The moment OutLawZ took aden, the alliances and clans combined into one massive zerg predetermined to take the castle from this one clan.

This clan came prepared: spammed out over 1000 npc's at 15k cost a piece and had the throne room on lockdown. 1 hour and 30 mins into the siege the attackers reach the throne room.

The clan of 37 spammed the throne room with everything they had and held it for 27 mins.

The cast time to take the castle is 5 mins.

OutLawZ wins the siege of Aden by the skin of their teeth.

Total npc kill count: 4782 Total OutLawZ kill count(from pvp stats): 2453

Server average level: 65

OutLawZ average level: 81(80 + 100%)

That was the laggiest game I ever played and one of the only times it as close to impossible to handle things for certain periods of time. But when you get that 30 secs t a minute time to react... down go another 30-50 players caught in your aoes.

Wow this, wow that, wow this, wow that.

Go back to wow ? really?

Comparing a 7 year MMO to a 15th day one is just plain stupid.

Wow is VERY good NOW because they "tunned" the code.. early builds of Wow SUCKED. you had 20players on your screen and you CTD'ed (and dont lecture me on this, i played wow since alpha and i know what i am talking about here.)

Plus blizzard had large ammounts of online game developing experience, ALL the code they create tunned for that. Bioware still lacks that experience.

You all look like a bunch of chickens on speed.

Edited by hypnose

At launch for Aion, I remember ~100v100 fortress battles. You had to turn OFF player characters, and even then there were rampant crashes as it created a memory leak. Not to mention crippling server lag.

Yes, there was an option to not draw character models for any players. Unless you had a $2000 desktop build, you had to do so for 50v50+ battles.

I have an i5 2500K OC'd to 4.0GHz, SLI 580's, and 16 gigs of RAM and there are times I dip to 20 FPS on the fleet in crowded areas. Maybe this game isn't SLI friendly, but that's crazy.

And you can definitely tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS.

that sounds strange, im on fleet nearly all day on my crafter and my fps never drops below 80 with just 1 580 (but its a Ti 2gb, not 1) My guess is your not getting the full benefit of SLI, which isnt the first time ive heard of it in swtor.

You know alienware computers have been crap for the last like 5 years, right?

I have an Alienware, bought it about 2 months ago. i7 2600K OC to 4GHz, 12g Corsair Dominator memory, dual EVGA SC'd GTX 570's in SLI, SSD, 2TB R0 HD ect...

I am fully capable of building my own system... didn't feel like it and can afford to buy what I want.

I have had zero issues with the system, it runs this game at 110 fps, even in heavy traffic zones - 75fps+ in warzones. It can run BF3 on ultra, at 1920x1080 HD at well over 100fps with zero spikes. I play all the new titles and haven't had one of them crash - hell, the system has been the most stable PC I have ever owned (I have this and 3 high end Macs atm). For those talking **** about Alienware, I don't get it. Yeah, I could of bought the same system for less, maybe...but I don't care. I have a beast of a system and was able to customize it the way I wanted (including razer mouse, logitech g510 keyboard, etc).

Pls remind me what is so epic about zerging around with immense lag, spamming your two best aoe abilities for maximum effect reducing your char to spambot ignoring 90% of your abilities?

Epic indeed. :rolleyes: If anything I hope this game will never be able to handle that kind of playstyle.

equates to: "i don't like driving fast, so they should install a 60mph gov on EVERYONE's car"

communism is that way pal --------------->

Edited by tokosan