The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

And now I know why the game limits group sizes so small

MercArcher

Just had a roughly 40v40 in Ilum I'm on a core i7 oc @ 3.9 ghz, an Radeon HD 6970, 12 gb ram. I average ~150-200 FPS and it droped my FPS to single digits and then crashed the game of half the people in the zone.

This game handles crowds terribly.

Edited by MercArcher

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. I have a pretty good gaming rig too and I get massive drops when I go to the fleet if it's crowded.

It's extremely unfortunate because large scale pvp is extremely fun, but this game just can't handle it.

Their forum and website servers can't handle large crowds, their forums can't handle search traffic so they remove it, the gtn can't handle traffic so they remove them from all but 2 locations and unlink those, they finally add the gtn search back in but as a 3rd layer filter because they can't handle the search traffic, their servers have small population caps with miniscule population caps in each shard of a zone because they can't handle traffic. . .

Sorry, but I needed to get that rant out. Oh, and sorry about the terrible run-on sentence above, too.

Edited by Vodalus

Their forum and website servers can't handle large crowds, their forums can't handle search traffic so they remove it, the gtn can't handle traffic so they remove them from all but 2 locations and unlink those, they finally add the gtn search back in but as a 3rd layer filter because they can't handle the search traffic, their servers have small population caps with miniscule population caps in each shard of a zone because they can't handle traffic. . .

Sorry, but I needed to get that rant out. Oh, and sorry about the terrible run-on sentence above, too.

The optimization in this game makes me cry.

Worrying!

I've never crashed in over 6 years of MMO PvP due to large numbers.

In SWG we sometimes had 100 vs 100 at the Imperial Prison on Dathomir and though the slideshow was annoying I never crashed once because of it.

40 v 40 crashes people's systems atm on Ilum? Worrying indeed.

Just had a roughly 40v40 in Ilum I'm on a core i7 oc @ 3.9 ghz, an AMD HD 6970, 12 gb ram. I average ~150-200 FPS and it droped my FPS to single digits and then crashed the game of half the people in the zone.

This game handles crowds terribly.

Wow...so how about no?

Worrying!

I've never crashed in over 6 years of MMO PvP due to large numbers.

In SWG we sometimes had 100 vs 100 at the Imperial Prison on Dathomir and though the slideshow was annoying I never crashed once because of it.

40 v 40 crashes people's systems atm on Ilum? Worrying indeed.

You ever played an AoC Siege Battle?

pretty much spot on with this one.

already had 2 2gb sticks, got 2 4gb sticks for $30 and now I have 12gb.

I did the exact same thing and noticed a huge improvement in SWTOR. Critics like to point out that SWTOR can't use more than 4 gigs, and they're right, but that means SWTOR CAN use 4 gigs and windows can use all it wants too without having to share.

I see this complaint on EVERY mmo game forum that has some PvP in it.

Someone tell me ... what MMO game can take 40vs40 PvP and NOT drop the FPS to single digits?

Seriously .. WTH do you people expect?

Actually.. WoW can.

I did the exact same thing and noticed a huge improvement in SWTOR. Critics like to point out that SWTOR can't use more than 4 gigs, and they're right, but that means SWTOR CAN use 4 gigs and windows can use all it wants too without having to share.

Streaming needs ram

Fraps needs ram

Always better to have more.

Not according to my RL friend (who likes to have WoW vs ______ debates with me all the time) ... and yes .. he has an Alienware PC.

He is a WoW fanboi and even he laughed when I told him about this thread.

I have no problem with huge fights in WoW. Just because it's Alienware doesn't mean it's still good.

Someone tell me ... what MMO game can take 40vs40 PvP and NOT drop the FPS to single digits?

Not to be all pro WoW and stuff but...

I was in a 100+ vs 100+ wintergrasp match in WoW before they put size caps on the teams and I was able to play fine with my fps not dropping below 20. This was on a low end two year old gaming PC with me playing from Australia. I should also point out that WoW has had a 40 vs 40 battleground since it first launched that most people can play fine. Large scale battles in mmos can be done.

Planetside. Hopefully Planetside 2 as well...it's important for an MMO to be able to handle large scale PvP (for those who enjoy it of course).