Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

I dont want to get out of topic, im all for EU time maintenances, but i want to bring another point to all this maintenance issue:

8 hours???? ... 8 hours!!!! come on guys, in 8 hours you can build up a full cluster from its pieces, install, restore and still will have time start it all over again.

What kind of maintenance can take 8 hours? ... unless ... maybe you are uploading full patch from US to ireland servers during that time ... nonono that would be lame, im sure you do the upload in advance ....... don't you?

Edited by recsa

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While blizzard may have EU downtimes separated from US, they also have the EU servers in EU - making this a non issue.

I'm all for serarate downtimes for EU and US or whatever, but the fact is - in this game - EU players are the huge minority at the moment.

Why would you change the server downtimes to EU off peak hours and have probably close to 15-20 times the amount of upset players.

You do what's best for your player base - and right now, that is having downtimes in US off peak hours. Not EU.

I'm sure once they get everything set, EU will have their own servers (wow didn't launch with EU only downtimes either btw) and their own downtime.

While blizzard may have EU downtimes separated from US, they also have the EU servers in EU - making this a non issue.

I'm all for serarate downtimes for EU and US or whatever, but the fact is - in this game - EU players are the huge minority at the moment.

Why would you change the server downtimes to EU off peak hours and have probably close to 15-20 times the amount of upset players.

You do what's best for your player base - and right now, that is having downtimes in US off peak hours. Not EU.

I'm sure once they get everything set, EU will have their own servers (wow didn't launch with EU only downtimes either btw) and their own downtime.

I call BS on your statements until I see actual numbers. Last I checked America had 300 million inhabitants, Europe has over 850 million. That has to reflect on the number of people playing as well, not to mention everyone outside either USA or EU who is affected by these silly maintenance times.

I call BS on your statements until I see actual numbers. Last I checked America had 300 million inhabitants, Europe has over 850 million. That has to reflect on the number of people playing as well, not to mention everyone outside either USA or EU who is affected by these silly maintenance times.

Also a quick look at the number of servers and the amount of population on them shows that EU has at minimun same number of players than US

1: Where did you find these numbers, could you please link them?

I am only aware that the EU has by far more people than the US and that in WOW the EU players out number the US ones.

I highly doubt the US subs out number the EU ones by far.

2: With a separated maintenance you don't upset any one so the rest of your statements are not something we're discussing in this topic.

Moving times with this setup will not be beneficial for either the EU or the US in fact that would be rather stupid to do.

3: I am sure of it when I see an official statement that the issue will be addressed.

Blizzard actually had a EU maintenance but often the emergency maintenances did hit our prime time.

But than again we where warned, got a free day and an apology.

Besides one of the reasons Warhammer failed was because of how EA handled the EU .

Tarka,

I sort of agree with what you are saying: Bug detected -> Bug quickly resolved by company = good as customers happy

But on the other hand: Bug detected -> Patch released: bug not resolved + Additional bug added = bad as customer now potentially really pissed.

The thing is I think that most MMO players are now well used to the fact issues are not solved straightaway but that patch releases take a few days/weeks.

Please note: I'm not talking about 'hot fixes', these will of course be released as soon as possible to resolve a major issue that (as per the company's point of view) needs to be urgently taken care of.

And to avoid the need for as many of these hot fixes one should make sure that an update is as flawless as possible.

And while, of course, the PTS is not the one and only forum where patches are checked/tested, it goes along the same line a closed beta (and potentially also open beta): have the system tested by hundreds, even thousands of gamers who (hopefully) will report back any issue they find.

So why go 'Okay, today we are releasing patch 1.0.1 on the PTS, have fun people, check it out, but remember that it NEEDS to go live in 5 days! (Because that's when the next maintenance is scheduled)

I'd rather see them really testing maybe 2, 3, 4 patches on the PTS for 3 weeks, a month, and then release the patch up to version 1.0.4 3 weeks after release.

That would give all gamers a chance to check the 'new and improved' SWTOR for a few more days before the initial 30 days are up.

It's only really a "balancing act" if the company is caught off guard and now need to dance and hop and juggle in order to try avoiding falling into the fire...

Bringing down each individual server cluster may not be feasible. However, what DOES seem to be feasible for other companies is to offer "localised" downtimes so that entire server farms can be taken down simultaneously, without affecting the other server farms in other regions.

Which brings us right back to the reason for this thread.

I completely agree! 100%! Do the maintenance one server (cluster/farm/ranch dressing/realm of the buffalo king/thing that looks like a birthday cake) at a time. I'd bet that that server 'so-n-so' will be up and running again in less than 8 hrs (assuming there is no major fault of course) with the gamers on this server (and overall, eventually, all gamers on SWTOR servers) perfectly happy for a quick and, if scheduled correctly, hardly noticed maintenance...

if only both BW and certain people here would understand this... :rolleyes:

EU already have their own servers, they are based in Ireland. You are talking nonsense.

By the way, can you post your source which shows that EU players are in a 'huge minority' because I would love to see that information.

Edited by Mandrax

if only both BW and certain people here would understand this... :rolleyes:

They do understand, BioWare is just clearly too arrogant to do anything about it. Every single option must've been discussed during development, including this one, and it was decided there and then to just let the Europeans bend over and take it up the chimney.

Pardon my French.

That's also partly the reason they don't bother to address it let alone discuss it, just arrogance.

Sadly this game is far form perfect and so is the customer service.

I don't think you can get away with it when other companies clearly show it can be done better, especially with that EA doesn't have a good name when it comes to customer service and MMO's.

Ok you had just about everything wrong with your post.

1. They already have servers in Europe, in Galway ireland to be precise.

2. No one have suggested changing U.S maintenance times, we want to split the maintenance. Meaning while the Americans are happily playing on on American servers the servers in Europe is taken down for maintenance while us Europeans sleep. That will not change a single thing on your side but offer better times for us Europeans

3. Just count the number of American servers and when switch to the Europe tab and do the same. I think you will find that we only differ by a few servers. Don't check the load right on EU servers until around 6-11 pm GMT (there are lots of online time converters that can translate that to your local time) to see that they are just as healthily populated as the American servers.

They do understand, BioWare is just clearly too arrogant to do anything about it. Every single option must've been discussed during development, including this one, and it was decided there and then to just let the Europeans bend over and take it up the chimney.

Pardon my French.

Your French is terrible. Fortunately, your English is just fine. :cool:

It would be enlightening to know if there is some kind of American "screw you guys" attitude ruling the roost or if they're scared of making an announcement for fear of... what? As I said, what will happen in March / April? These maintenance times irritate us, especially if they run long, but they'll downright destroy the evening's play for those down under.

With all due respect to those people who have their main play time fall in the middle of the day.

Your French is terrible. Fortunately, your English is just fine. :cool:

It would be enlightening to know if there is some kind of American "screw you guys" attitude ruling the roost or if they're scared of making an announcement for fear of... what? As I said, what will happen in March / April? These maintenance times irritate us, especially if they run long, but they'll downright destroy the evening's play for those down under.

With all due respect to those people who have their main play time fall in the middle of the day.

If you want a nice tinfoil hat theory, they hired born and raised Brit Stephen Reid to make us feel like there's "one of us" on board, but even he isn't told everything, being the PR puppet, while the big chiefs do indeed try and save on as much money as possible, prioritising American needs over European needs (or those of people anywhere else in the world, for that matter).

But of course, that's complete nonsense. Right?

Right..?

See, the thing is that one actually has to figure out which one thing BW is doing wrong or if potentially there are more than 1 thing going wrong.

In this case, yes, it is a lot of things BW is *********** up:

8 hrs of maintenance (that is a third of a day) for regular(!) weekly(!) maintenance

Maintenance done for all systems at once at one time that BW considers best without apparently really considering other effected time zones than EST, CST and PST (Alaska anybody? Hawaii?)

Combined maintenance and patching will not allow to cascade thru server downs

If BW would just resolve 1 of these individual things, people would probably make much less of a fuss:

'servers down from 8AM GMT to noon? I can deal with that' - (shortened maintenance time)

'okay, so the EU servers come down for 8 hrs at 1AM GMT and get back up at 9AM GMT? I can deal with that' - 'man, what'up? US EST servers down at 1AM EST and back up at 9AM EST? I'm cool with that' - 'howdy, US PST servers coming down at 1 AM PST and startin' back up at 9AM PST? Sweet!' - (localized down time for servers)

'so, they are taking down all servers today for the 1.0.X patch? For 1 hr at 7AM GMT/2AM EST? I can live with that... and then they'll bring down my EU server for maintenance for 8 hrs tonight starting at midnight GMT? While all the US servers are still up and running? I can live with that, either hanging out on the PST or on some US server with my guild there) - (separate patching and maintenance)

Each of these 3 options would help... and would be better for the player base than trying to make them accept that there is a good chance (due to time zones and/or extension) that the servers will not be available in what some will call 'primetime' in certain BW-SWTOR serviced markets i.e. North America (again: Hawaii?) and Europe (Russia?)

And no, I don't really think that BW will start servers for SWTOR located in Europe. Why would they? The ping is fine, you can have one center servicing all servers... nope, I think they'll go with having a customer service center in Ireland is enough... especially as for European customers the alternative most likely would be speaking to a CSR in India ;)

Supported and agree

EU servers are located in EU so let us have our maintenance time at a reasonable time... Start at midnight gmt or something please

My husband and I really would like to play

Can you not give us hope that this will be corrected?

On the other hand, the SGRA topic had over 14 incarnations and didn't get a reply until 3 or 4 versions áfter Corey Butler dropped the "no"-bomb on the supporters.

I'm guessing it will be another 2 weeks or before we get any reply, and another 3 or 4 weeks after that for something official, and IF they decide to implement European maintenance, it won't be for another 3 or 4 months.

Is my optimistic guess.

:)) you ARE very very VERY optimistic.

the whole Red Zone thread(s) were like 14 or 15 incarnations. some guy actually kept records and it was about 26k replies at the end of it, no exaggeration here... and for what?

in the end, everyone was able to order the friggin game (i got it actually through amazon.com, so from overseas, and it got here on the 20th!), so all they needed to do to "cool" people off was to friggin communicate. They did not.

but here is another matter. I have already spent ~220$ on this, bar subscription (i only paid for a month so far, just to activate those 30 already paid days which is another topic but it;s not the place to bring it) so really i'm not gonna give up. I want sore return of investment so to speak... i want friggin highest quality of service for those 220$.

by the way: saying that adding baby fonts to credits has higher priority than adding more items to the CE vendor is plain stupid. Why? well, the CE vendor addresses people that paid more than double the normal game, and although it might be justified not to have such a high priority given to an improvement over critical bugs, if EA/BW would have been smart or at least considerate, they wouldn''t have said "not important" to such an observation.

the above example is suited for those times when you'd rather shut the hell up. they shut up when they shouldn't and they say incredible stupid things when they should just keep their mouths shut. god, if i had such incompetent people on my payroll i'd fire them in a heartbeat, with some negative stuff attached to their records!

And no, I don't really think that BW will start servers for SWTOR located in Europe. Why would they? The ping is fine, you can have one center servicing all servers... nope, I think they'll go with having a customer service center in Ireland is enough... especially as for European customers the alternative most likely would be speaking to a CSR in India ;)

As already said multiple times, the servers already ARE in Europe so no need to move them.

Edited by Ykalondr

Pardon my French.

:)) well, as they say, in french, swearing is like wiping your arse with silk :p

See, the thing is that one actually has to figure out which one thing BW is doing wrong or if potentially there are more than 1 thing going wrong.

In this case, yes, it is a lot of things BW is *********** up:

You forgot one more wrong thing, shutting down website too during maintenance ... just imagine this thread if servers were down hahahahahhaa

you forgot one more wrong thing, shutting down website too during maintenance ... Just imagine this thread if servers were down hahahahahhaa

Heh. KABOOM! ;)

Tbh I find it quite insulting that they apparently do find the time to close the old topic and start a new one. But can't even take the time to say "we see your concerns, we'll get back to you on this".

You forgot one more wrong thing, shutting down website too during maintenance ... just imagine this thread if servers were down hahahahahhaa

yeah, last time i came here only to see their announcement (i saw it 2 days before but didn't actually bother to see the timeframe... immagine my surprise :lol:) and nothing else, couldn't access the forums

oh the rage i had to extinguish :p thank god for some beers :))

You hit the nail on the head, they shut down the forums for exactly that reason, to avoid the rage and complaints people would have about their (so far) lackluster service. Once the servers are back up again the majority of those people will be back playing, soothed for the moment.