Skip Demolition Round?

Tataki

What if you don't go all the way up the gunnery tree? Any use in doing a hybrid commando? I was thinking something like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#8000cZRfkrordokZMIMbz.1

Not a healer, more for damage. You get incendiary round (another DoT) and high friction bolts. You lose some full auto bonus (but do you use FA after getting charged bolts?) and demo round. Does anyone spend any time in plasma cell at high level?

In most skill tree systems, hybrid builds are not what the designers want you to do. However, sometimes, there are efficiencies to be found.

Has anyone tried this? Constructive comments welcome. Math welcome too, if you have any to offer. Thanks.

Well you've got skills working against each other:

Cell Charger only works with armor piercing cell active.

High Friction Bolts only works on targets that are burning and refreshes burn from plasma cell. There are also two other skills in assualt that only work with Plasma Cell.

Related discussion on skipping the top of gunnery link below. The general consensus is you do give up quite a bit by skipping demo round and a fully spec'd full auto is worthwhile.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=89428

I just don't see a tremendous amount of synergy that would justify missing out on the top gunnery talents. I suggest giving it a shot and if it turns out to work come back and let us know.

Edited by DrManse

I'll give it a whirl. Not sure how long it'll take me, but should be interesting.

I saw the potential to keep targets on fire. That and the decent rate of fire on high impact bolt looked pretty nifty. Also, incendiary round is pretty close in damage to demo round, except that it's a DOT. What I can't know until I test is whether that DoT and the increase in damage from using high impact bolt is more than being able to stack grav vortex and shoot demo rounds.

Demo round is an extremely important skill if you want to go for damage (which probably is one of the best specs in the game atm). It's necessary to reach your full damage output with your rotation and its instant, so you can run and gun with it in pvp.

Where exatly do you see incendiary round htting as hard as demo round? Demo round lists as (1257-1424) vs incendiary's (313-424 + 1178), while demo is affected by gravity vortex for an extra 25% greatly putting it over incendiary. The refire on demo round is higher as well, 15s cooldown on demo vs 18 for incendiary (the dot time). Demo round is much higher dps than incendiary.

Where exatly do you see incendiary round htting as hard as demo round? Demo round lists as (1257-1424) vs incendiary's (313-424 + 1178), while demo is affected by gravity vortex for an extra 25% greatly putting it over incendiary. The refire on demo round is higher as well, 15s cooldown on demo vs 18 for incendiary (the dot time). Demo round is much higher dps than incendiary.

It's not the fire damage so much as it is the ability to use HIB as much as possible, as well as everything except demo round.

I'm totally down with demo in PvP, where burst damage is key. That would follow the same pattern as most PvP systems.

HIB has 15 sec CD. How hard does that hit for you guys? Crit? Demo has 21 sec CD. That means you get more chances to crit with HIB than demo round, in a given time period longer than 30 seconds. It'll also be 30% armor piercing and benefit from charged barrel.

Sounded interesting to me, and a non-obvious combination of stuff. May be worthless, but we'll see when we get there! Sure do wish we had more instrumentation available to us in this game!

It's not the fire damage so much as it is the ability to use HIB as much as possible, as well as everything except demo round.

I'm totally down with demo in PvP, where burst damage is key. That would follow the same pattern as most PvP systems.

HIB has 15 sec CD. How hard does that hit for you guys? Crit? Demo has 21 sec CD. That means you get more chances to crit with HIB than demo round, in a given time period longer than 30 seconds. It'll also be 30% armor piercing and benefit from charged barrel.

Sounded interesting to me, and a non-obvious combination of stuff. May be worthless, but we'll see when we get there! Sure do wish we had more instrumentation available to us in this game!

You have to remember too that with HIB, your opponent will need to be hit with some sort of DoT or Incap for it to work. I know, in most PvP battles, this shouldn't be a problem, but it is one of the things that can change the things you have to do in order to use it.

You have to remember too that with HIB, your opponent will need to be hit with some sort of DoT or Incap for it to work. I know, in most PvP battles, this shouldn't be a problem, but it is one of the things that can change the things you have to do in order to use it.

As a commando you should be using grav rounds anyway.

High Impact Round can be activated with the armor debuff from grav round.

Gunnery has absolutely NO issues proccing HIB. It's up 100% of the time, basically.

High Impact Round can be activated with the armor debuff from grav round.

Gunnery has absolutely NO issues proccing HIB. It's up 100% of the time, basically.

That's interesting. I was looking to the burn effect to do that, but if grav round also does it, the target doesn't need to be on fire. Many thanks!