Elites should be removed from all non Heroic/FP/Operations missions

If you believe a 10 year old has the emotional maturity to deal with the mature themes in TOR, then it really is no wonder you're letting them play this game. I don't see how your child reading Animal Farm means exposing them to torture, murder, slavery, implied prostitution and warfare is acceptable.

I am amused at the thought of toning down the difficulty to make all the above easier to do however.

Yes she has the emotional maturity; doesn't mean that every child her age dose though, I honestly think that blanket rules for everyone regardless is a bit ridiculous. But you will be glad to know that even a 10 year old is saying don't make it easier...the difficulty is fine.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having to explain to a ten year old, let alone getting her brother to help her, that its not too hard doesn't cut it anymore. She; and for the most part her brother; are playing because games are supposed to be fun. While some will think ten is young with proper supervision the game is fine, she sees worse on cable and hears worse as school. That out of the way, far too many missions are stymieing her simple because of the elites involved. Her brother would never admit any problems but he is a bit more stubborn so eventually pushes his way past most if.

What I am getting to is that if she stops playing most likely the rest of us will too. She wants to do her character by herself (if I have to explain why you don't know young ladies) . While we can and do play together at times its a matter of timing. Leaving Christmas vacation and my timimg will be wholly different from theirs. There just isn't a point to the heroic mobs in the normal missions. They are only frustrating and not helping the story along. Of the four of us she does not do missions unless prodded but she will control the fate of four accounts.

My kids play with me, too, and are pre-teen and teen. My daughter finds the elites frustrating, too, but we work around that.

From one parent to another--if you stop playing a game because of your 10 year old, you've given her far more power than she really should have. You're the parent, not her. This game is not an electronic babysitter and should not be used that way.

That out of the way, our answer to our daughter?

1. Don't fight the elites. Heroics aren't required, neither are operations or flashpoints. I'm not going to ask BioWare to dumb down the game for younger kids like mine. The rating on this game is Teen for a reason. We need to adjust to the game, not BioWare to our kids.

2. Run around in other areas to level up. Do all side quests. Bypass the guys with yellow stars. It's much easier to solo the bosses later on if one is higher level.

3. Help her gear up her character and her companion with the best gear possible.

4. As the parent, teach her the basic mechanics of the game. No, it's not terribly hard, but you can help her adjust her skillbar, make sure she has stims and medpaks, show her how to buy those, show her how to repair armor, that kind of stuff.

5. When she gets frustrated, have her take a break and do some other things away from the computer. My kids, like most others, need to get some fresh air and run around outside to play. Think of it as recess from the computer.

I can't tell if the OP is being serious, it's hard to tell on the internet. But assuming he is, have to say it's exactly the reason they shouldn't remove elites. Prior to hearing his reasoning I may not mind, as elites don't really add much difficulty as much as they add time spent spamming abilities. It's not so much that they should be removed or added, but enhanced in a way that make them worthwhile.

There are several who make for an interesting encounter, at least two of which appear on Belsavis. Outside of those, elites and strongs tend to just be time sinks as far as I can tell.

You should let your daughter watch I Spit on Your Grave, it's totally fine.

In reality, it would be totally fine.

My parents used the horror section of the movie store as a baby sitter for me. By the time I was 10 I'd seen acts of violence most people couldn't imagine.

I'm now 28. No record, no history of violence.

Rating systems are unnecessary to begin with.

You do realize that if they tailor the game which is 16+ btw. to 10-year olds then large amount of older people will be packing their bags and look somewhere else?

So maybe they didn't want your subs anyway. Can't win them all.

Not even trying to be rude, just realistic.

Having to explain to a ten year old, let alone getting her brother to help her, that its not too hard doesn't cut it anymore. She; and for the most part her brother; are playing because games are supposed to be fun. While some will think ten is young with proper supervision the game is fine, she sees worse on cable and hears worse as school. That out of the way, far too many missions are stymieing her simple because of the elites involved. Her brother would never admit any problems but he is a bit more stubborn so eventually pushes his way past most if.

What I am getting to is that if she stops playing most likely the rest of us will too. She wants to do her character by herself (if I have to explain why you don't know young ladies) . While we can and do play together at times its a matter of timing. Leaving Christmas vacation and my timimg will be wholly different from theirs. There just isn't a point to the heroic mobs in the normal missions. They are only frustrating and not helping the story along. Of the four of us she does not do missions unless prodded but she will control the fate of four accounts.

So what you're saying is that they should remove the challenge for all of their players because a small handful find it too hard and are unwilling to accept help? That is ludicrous.

I have a 7 year old boy and a 10 year old girl at home. While the 10 year old is fairly independent, she is willing to accept help when she needs it.

Rather then demanding that Biowear shapes the game around one very non-standard player, why not use this as a teachable moment to show her that its okay to accept help.

Either way, posting that you want Biowear to change their T rated game to suit your 10 year old is just begging to be flamed and won't get you anywhere.

No wonder so many kids are fat.

Maybe you should take your daughter outside and play instead of having her sit with her obese family infront of computers all day prentending you're bonding through a video game.

Don't assume that just because your fat that everyone who plays SWTOR is as well. Though I'll agree that the percentage is probably pretty high.

No wonder so many kids are fat.

Maybe you should take your daughter outside and play instead of having her sit with her obese family infront of computers all day prentending you're bonding through a video game.

Stereotype much?

See I have this vision of a very overweight person telling me to take my daughter outside as he slams another Hotpocket in the Microwave; he's telling me this because a "Freakin Kid" is playing his game...but that is more than likely my over-active imagination. :rolleyes:

My daughter is very thin she is outside frequently she loves to snowboard and skateboard. and scares the hell out of me every time she goes off a mobil.

At 48 I still run dual-Athlons I also have a secret love of Skateboarding still....but I promised my daughter and son I would not Ride when their friends are around. Not everyone fits societies molds.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

10 year olds don't need to play MMORPGs to be entertained. There are sooooooooo many other games more suited for that demographic. You're going to have to get over it.

This is sw the series is geared towards that age group now. So anybody can play. Oh and by looking on your join date my response to you is GO BACK TO WOW TROLL!

My kids play with me, too, and are pre-teen and teen. My daughter finds the elites frustrating, too, but we work around that.

From one parent to another--if you stop playing a game because of your 10 year old, you've given her far more power than she really should have. You're the parent, not her. This game is not an electronic babysitter and should not be used that way.

That out of the way, our answer to our daughter?

1. Don't fight the elites. Heroics aren't required, neither are operations or flashpoints. I'm not going to ask BioWare to dumb down the game for younger kids like mine. The rating on this game is Teen for a reason. We need to adjust to the game, not BioWare to our kids.

2. Run around in other areas to level up. Do all side quests. Bypass the guys with yellow stars. It's much easier to solo the bosses later on if one is higher level.

3. Help her gear up her character and her companion with the best gear possible.

4. As the parent, teach her the basic mechanics of the game. No, it's not terribly hard, but you can help her adjust her skillbar, make sure she has stims and medpaks, show her how to buy those, show her how to repair armor, that kind of stuff.

5. When she gets frustrated, have her take a break and do some other things away from the computer. My kids, like most others, need to get some fresh air and run around outside to play. Think of it as recess from the computer.

I love this post--this is some excellent advice--especially the last point about having your little ones take a break and run and play. If I might also add, this is also a good teaching tool in that by showing your child how to avoid a confrontation with an elite when she's not ready for it, you're teaching her two very important, yet related, lessons: 1) That it's ok to find solutions that avoid combat; and 2) How to pick and choose your battles. The dialogues also make good teaching tools--ie: why was this choice given light-side points and why this one dark side.

and the thing that alone she can't kill the elite mob is why? cos she's 10 years old? don't know how to play? or trying to kill mob that is ot only elite but even higher lvl than she is?

In normal quest i think only elites i HAD to kill to proced were sometimes bosses... and killing elites alone is fun... killing many normal mobs with one hit IS NOT fun for me...

so no, i don't agree that game should change cos your litle kid finds it to hard, then buy her SW: Clone Wars as a game for kids her age

Forum Title: Elites should be removed from all non Heroic/FP/Operation missions

I hope this is just trolling lol.

I'm glad Bioware put in difficult quests. I'm glad I can't just tear through every mob. I like the difficulty of the game. There are sometimes where I die over and over, but I like the challenge of the game. It makes me use my cooldowns spread out and make me strategize more. When games get too easy, they are boring.

Forum Title: Elites should be removed from all non Heroic/FP/Operation missions

I hope this is just trolling lol.

I'm glad Bioware put in difficult quests. I'm glad I can't just tear through every mob. I like the difficulty of the game. There are sometimes where I die over and over, but I like the challenge of the game. It makes me use my cooldowns spread out and make me strategize more. When games get too easy, they are boring.

^this

Strong mobs actualy hit harder than most elites, they changed it in beta around the time they started the weekender betas. Strongs will rip apart your healer way faster than elite will, they just have less hp and are vulnerable to more abilities that elites are immune to.