Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Cybertech/Biochem need a nerf.

Hohei

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do t see what the big deal is if u are getting wiped by players using these skills then pick one of these up. I am tired of peoples answer to everything being NERF just play the dam game or dont.

So you want to take out a major reason why someone would take these crew skills? This is ironic because a lot of people are crying over crew skills being UP and some people are crying that it's OP. That just goes to show that it's actually quite balanced.

How can it be "balanced" when only 2 out of the Crafting professions are good at 50? the others have NOTHING to offer that anyone would not replace with DAILY REWARDS (yes rewards from the daily quests are better than the best crafted items from professions, good luck trying to make something"usefull".....)

I guess i shouldent complain tho since i dropped Artifice and got Biochem, and im loving the permanent epic quality buffs/stims/medpacks that doesnt disapear on use.

Edited by Miothan

What moneysink is that?

I really want to hear an explanation. People here constantly talk about leveling a craft skill as moneysink, when in reality, it's dirt cheap, basically free.

I'm at cybertech 320 something, and the only monetary ingredient in the green recipes I use to level up is a pair of 200 credit bottles. I get 2-3 points in cybertech per successful craft. That means I'm spending 4k for every 20 points in cybertech. Takes me approximately 2-5 minutes to earn that money back.

If you're dumb enough not to realize you don't have to level a mission skill in order to craft, then you deserve it.

Just becuase you have a crappy attitude I'm going to have to correct you. You're acting smart becuase you're saying you collected your mats instead of doing missions for them, therefore it didn't cost you anything.

Wrong.

it cost you a significant amount of time, even if you happened to manage to collect enough while questing to level, you had to run to them constantly, stop and collect, then move on.

Someone else who didn't do that leveled faster, they were able to kill more, or quest more, or do more dailies. They have more money than you. You've just engaged in a money sink. Best of all you didn't even realise it.

Not so smart eh?

The problem is NOT biochem/cybertech. The problem is everything else.

If those two get nerfed into uselessness the way Slicing did, then no one will bother with professions at all. I don't think BW's vision is to have crafting be a mini-game that's even more pointless than space combat (hey, at least space combat gives you credits).

The permanent use epic items gained at 400 give these two classes too much of an advantage over players who do not have the items in both PvE and PvP.

lol. You get EIGHT character slots. There are SIX crew skill professions.

And here you are WHINGING? Get off your butt and level a Biochem character. Get off your butt and level a Cybernetics crafter. Problem solved.

They need to be consumed on use or lowered in effectiveness in order to bring it along with other crew skills. Fair is fair after all.

Oh please. A 90-second cool-down is a 90-second cool down. The only thing a reusable med-pack does is to keep you from spending all your time gathering.

Unlike those poor Armormechs who have to make new armor after every fight. Oh, wait, they don't? NERF THEM!

Unlike those poor Artificers who have to make new crystals after every fight. Oh, wait, they don't. NERF THEM!

And so on...

Well I would have to say Biochem is a bit op in that the the buffs meds and potions are both have infinite use. Probably be fair if BW took one away and Biochem would still be pretty good. I say keep the infinite potions and do away with the infinite buff meds. As for cybetech seems about normal to me.

What BW really needs to do is add better crafted gear for crafters. There should at the very least be one piece or two for each spec, dps, tank, and healer, that can be crafted and is equal to normal level raid gear. That is what Blizzard does and it works out pretty well. Even late in any raid tier, people always buy the gear. Actually, BW should add components that can be acquired by doing daily heroics. Now add gear that can be purchased by doing dail heroics and earn some kinda token. People can save up and buy the gear or buy mats to craft a piece of gear. Early on people will use the their tokens for their mains and a few people will use their tokens/badges for mats to make gear or sell the mats on ah. The point is that non raiders can make raid level gear and people who don't want to farm daily heroics/dungeons can just buy them off ah.

At any rate, the badge grind slows progression and allows crafters to make raid level gear that can be sold or for personal use. It's really a win/win situation for every one. Obviously, the badge grind is intended to limit the number of epic crafted gear that will appear on ah. There are like many other ways I'm sure BW can add raid/pvp level gear that is difficult to craft, but actually worth crafting. Maybe not a full set, but at least some pieces, but make sure you can rip the mods out if the player wants to use the stats on another piece of gear for the looks.

Edited by Knockerz

Just becuase you have a crappy attitude I'm going to have to correct you. You're acting smart becuase you're saying you collected your mats instead of doing missions for them, therefore it didn't cost you anything.

Wrong.

it cost you a significant amount of time, even if you happened to manage to collect enough while questing to level, you had to run to them constantly, stop and collect, then move on.

Someone else who didn't do that leveled faster, they were able to kill more, or quest more, or do more dailies. They have more money than you. You've just engaged in a money sink. Best of all you didn't even realise it.

Not so smart eh?

Lol. You're doing it wrong. You stop for a second, maybe two, as you're running your quests. You get all the mats you need. Plus you can send your other companions out to gather.

And, because of crafting, I actually fight MORE rather than LESS. I tend to be over-leveled for each area because I tend to over-gather mats. Not because I have to over-gather mats for the skill, but because I craft all my gear for all of my EIGHT characters.

But I don't have to do 'mats runs' like I did in other games. It's all there. For the taking. As I move through the areas. And is hardly like a Korean grind-fest like Aion or Mabinogi. Or even a harder-to-level craft system like EQ and LOTRO.

It's EASY.

And not even that expensive. Besides a bit for the raw materials, the only significant money I really have to spend is for the underworld/diplomacy/treasure hunting/investigation missions to get the rare mats. And even then, my only problem with the cost of those missions is each of my six crafters is supporting every one of my 8 characters.

So, if I were just using one crafting tree for one chracter... It'd be no burden at all. To get to max level requires almost no effort or cost. You don't even have to do missions if you don't want to make blues and are happy with greens.

Must be a WoW player. Goes straight to the attack, rather that ask for their profession to be tuned up to the "working" professions. Why not suggest X crafting skill get epic use items, like a short-term damage enhancer for armstech, some short-term single/aoe damage reduction spray on coating for armor, quick use shield boosting mods for ships? No, that would be constructive and creative, wouldn't it? And you don't like that.

You win the thread.

Must be a WoW player. Goes straight to the attack, rather that ask for their profession to be tuned up to the "working" professions. Why not suggest X crafting skill get epic use items, like a short-term damage enhancer for armstech, some short-term single/aoe damage reduction spray on coating for armor, quick use shield boosting mods for ships? No, that would be constructive and creative, wouldn't it? And you don't like that.

Must be an ex WoW player, the ones that start every post with that comment.

This might sound crazy, but...

What if we significantly weaken quest rewards and commendation items? Quest rewards would still be an option - even if they would be less efficient - and commendations wouldn't cost money at all. I think that people would start buying better equipment from crafts instead of focusing entirely on commendations and quest rewards. They just need a reason to do so.

Another option is to simply allow crafters to produce better equipment.

Its amazing to see all the people now saying that other professions should be buffed instead but when it was about slicing everyone QQed for a nerf lol... So funny.

I have two and they're rolling in cash... Not only do they not have all the gathering/crafting costs my six crafters have. But their crew missions run at better than break-even over time so I have everyone out running missions as much as possible...

It doesn't bother me. When I get to end game, most of the crafting will become pointless, instead of highly-valued, and I'll drop mission skills on some of the others for slicing. The Amormech, Cybertech and Synthweave all use UT as a mission. So I only need one of those, realistically, to be UT. He/she can gather all the rare mats and mail them.

Really? A 5 minute re-usable grenade makes cyber overpowered?!

LOL

Go away. Get a life. Play the game. Enjoy your self.

I love the fake altruistic approaches some try to take.

Oh I HAVE this skill, but I just want the balance of the game to be pure for everyone else!

This might sound crazy, but...

What if we significantly weaken quest rewards and commendation items? Quest rewards would still be an option - even if they would be less efficient - and commendations wouldn't cost money at all. I think that people would start buying better equipment from crafts instead of focusing entirely on commendations and quest rewards. They just need a reason to do so.

Another option is to simply allow crafters to produce better equipment.

NO! Worst. Idea. Ever. Please don't respond to a call for nerfs with bigger nerfs. Your last suggestion is actually the way to go. Buff crafted gear. Do not request nerfs, that is the fastest way to anger and lose your player base.

lol. You get EIGHT character slots. There are SIX crew skill professions.

And here you are WHINGING? Get off your butt and level a Biochem character. Get off your butt and level a Cybernetics crafter. Problem solved.

Oh please. A 90-second cool-down is a 90-second cool down. The only thing a reusable med-pack does is to keep you from spending all your time gathering.

Unlike those poor Armormechs who have to make new armor after every fight. Oh, wait, they don't? NERF THEM!

Unlike those poor Artificers who have to make new crystals after every fight. Oh, wait, they don't. NERF THEM!

And so on...

That would be an argument IF Artificers made the best ones, they dont....

You get the best stuff from the daily commendation mod vendor, costs 8 daily commendations to get the 23 mods, and Artificers can only make up to 22 :)

Might drop better schematics in Operations, but after a full clear of EV i have yet to see a single Artifice schematic, saw a cybertech tho, didnt bother to check the stats.

Edited by Miothan

Lol. You're doing it wrong. You stop for a second, maybe two, as you're running your quests. You get all the mats you need. Plus you can send your other companions out to gather.

And, because of crafting, I actually fight MORE rather than LESS. I tend to be over-leveled for each area because I tend to over-gather mats. Not because I have to over-gather mats for the skill, but because I craft all my gear for all of my EIGHT characters.

But I don't have to do 'mats runs' like I did in other games. It's all there. For the taking. As I move through the areas. And is hardly like a Korean grind-fest like Aion or Mabinogi. Or even a harder-to-level craft system like EQ and LOTRO.

It's EASY.

And not even that expensive. Besides a bit for the raw materials, the only significant money I really have to spend is for the underworld/diplomacy/treasure hunting/investigation missions to get the rare mats. And even then, my only problem with the cost of those missions is each of my six crafters is supporting every one of my 8 characters.

So, if I were just using one crafting tree for one chracter... It'd be no burden at all. To get to max level requires almost no effort or cost. You don't even have to do missions if you don't want to make blues and are happy with greens.

You're missing the point. I'm purely stating the facts, i'm not providing opinion or pushing an agenda. I have no problem with this situation.

The guy i quoted claimed crafting was not a sink becuase it was basically "free". I'm pointing out it isn't free and his method (gathering) is also a sink like the other method (missions).

To factualise your post -

You don't stop for "a second, maybe 2". You have to detour to the node, which isn't always significant, but if you're purely gathering you need to go grab them all, then the actual gather takes 5? seconds, then you have to remount. It all adds up over the hundreds of times you do it.

The other guy got to his destination faster, finished his quest, hit is next level, hit 50, did some pvp, earnt more money.

After a fixed period of time, you have less gold than him (all other factors being the same). Gold sink.

That is the only point. Your other stuff about over leveling and it being easy or not isn't relevent. Your comments about cost are the same as the guy i quoted and again incorrect, there is a cost, you're just not seeing it deducted from your cash balance.

Simplified version -

Guy claims missions are expensive and people who do them are dumb

Guy claims gathering is "free"

I show gathering is not "free", therefore guy should think twice before calling people dumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.