The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I would hate to be a GW2 Developer right now.

Klarick

i assume (and believe) they are using their GW1 model that everyone gets same stats and **** on gear BUT all the gear is interchangeable(well not all but most) just so u can get different looks and people buy it alot. its a better system that allows u too look different all the time comapred to people instead of like in TOR the mod gear is worthless at 50 so u DO all look the same

I know, I played GW1. But it was not like City of Heroes, there were clones of each other, it just was not as likely compared to games like TOR and WoW.

Nobody will look(or not everyone atleast) the same because

1) transmutation stones

2) The power plateau. At 80 you farm piece of gears because you like the look of this or that armor/weapons not because it has 9 more stamina or strengh

Many people(myself included) played the demo at Gamescon/PAX so yes we know how the classes are(cept the mesmer which was revealed a week ago)

The world pvp area is in fact instanced but it's huge and the battle last for 2 weeks. it isn't "real" world pvp but it sure has the feeling of it

Yes, I know how the armor customization will work. It still doesn't change the fact that there will be clones running around. People will find the same pieces cool looking, and wear them. It happened in GW1, it will most likely happen in GW2.

And again, playing at pax for a limited time does not tell you how all the classes will differ at release.

I know the world PvP area is big, but there is only one. That's why it isn't like DAoC, it had multiple RvR maps.

I'm not bashing GW2 for future reference, but comparing two games that harshly, one which hasn't even come out yet, is pretty silly.

Edited by Jaku

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

GW2 is gonna be more PvP intensive and SWTOR is more PvE intensive so why would GW2 developer be worried about a game that isnt really competition. Also your first sentence just ruined all credibility you had. Edited by Doomsaga

GW2 is gonna be more PvP intensive and SWTOR is more PvE intensive so why would GW2 developer be worried about a game that isnt really competition

GW2 is going to be both PvP and PvE. It offer great end game pve and great end game PvP.

Arenanet just don't give a **** about SWTOR or WoW or whatever you think of because it's buy to play not P2P. which mean anyone who play TOR or WoW or runescape or hello kitty online can play guild wars 2. Anet's goal is not to steal subscriber from other games.

Just what bar did BW raise with swtor?

While i am having fun in game there was no bar raised. In fact swtor actual didnt even meet the bar other games have. It falls way short on all fronts but one and that is story telling.

Graphics are dated as are graphic choice and settings. Even rift has a ultra setting and a low res setting. This is a feature of almost ever mmo on the market. You can cater to both low end machines and high end ones.

Character creation is mediocre at best.

Character appearance is way out of date in todays market. No appearance system and no recoloring system. This has become the norm for a mmo in todays market.

No macro system....

No customizing of the UI.

Targeting system is horrid with out a target of target option.

No lfg system. Not even a simple listing. No a lfg flag on the who list is NOT a lfg system.

For lord sake in swtor we are back to having to dig in bags to use quest items! Instead of using them from the tracker.

Step back in time to so many load screens...

Forced pvp auto flagging. All some one has to do is run thru your aoe on mobs to force flag you.

Pvp in general...DAOC did world pvp better and its OLD. Battle grounds are your run of the mill mmo pvp type so no bar raised there.

No swtor has not raised the bar!

Can they in time? Maybe but at release NO they fell way short of the current mmo bar set by multiple games!

Seriously. SWTOR has raised the MMO bar incredibly high. I can imagine the GW2 team at this moment wondering how the heck they are going to release their game and have to follow SWTOR. My guess is they will now push back production to give SWTOR a little time to cool off. However, I really don't see that doing anything in the long run. SWTOR has set a new standard in MMO's, and others will have to follow or be left in the Free 2 Play cesspool. Oh wait, GW2 will be F2P isn't it?

Anyway, I'm glad I am not on that dev team and have to follow this near perfect launch.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, wait youre serious...........................:rolleyes:

Yes, I know how the armor customization will work. It still doesn't change the fact that there will be clones running around. People will find the same pieces cool looking, and wear them. It happened in GW1, it will most likely happen in GW2.

ummmm i dont understand are u arguing that EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN A GAME should look completely different? Then there would be no choice since every new character would need to be fitted with XX look from start to forever

It allows customization like Transmog in wow. Yes lots of people look alike because some things look awesome! but there's lots of very unique people

Here's side by side video of TOR's epic boss combat, and Guild Wars 2's "epic" boss combat. I don't think TOR has anything to worry about.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Diea5isTQ9KA&start1=198&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVMTs74eWBJ4&start2=1825&authorName=

This is the strongest proof we have that Star Wars is the better game. What is ArenaNet thinking?

ummmm i dont understand are u arguing that EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN A GAME should look completely different? Then there would be no choice since every new character would need to be fitted with XX look from start to forever

It allows customization like Transmog in wow. Yes lots of people look alike because some things look awesome! but there's lots of very unique people

You have to read what I originally replied to, to understand the context.

The guy was implying in GW2 no one will look the same while bashing TOR, which just isn't true. The appearance customization isn't advanced enough for that.

Once again, I know GW2 will have less clones than TOR, but until the game releases there is no way of knowing how much of a difference it will be.

Here's side by side video of TOR's epic boss combat, and Guild Wars 2's "epic" boss combat. I don't think TOR has anything to worry about.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=ht...25&authorName=

Not only did i find the Gw2's boss better, it's only a dynamic event boss. We have not even seen a explorable mode dungeon boss yet, let alone Zhaitan.

If you wanted a fair match you would compare that Gw2's boss fight with some random champion boss you see in the game world.

Edited by mastersloup

Not only did i find the Gw2's boss better

That was more of a mini game than a boss fight.

But you're right, it's not really a "boss" fight. It's more akin to the public quests in Warhammer, just a lot more epic.

You have to read what I originally replied to, to understand the context.

The guy was implying in GW2 no one will look the same while bashing TOR, which just isn't true. The appearance customization isn't advanced enough for that.

Once again, I know GW2 will have less clones than TOR, but until the game releases there is no way of knowing how much of a difference it will be.

They're using a modified version of the Aion customization system. They toned it down so you won't be able to look freakish, and that will cut into the customization quite a bit too, but, it does suggest that it'll still be pretty extensive. Aion has one of the best character creators out there.

Plus GW2 has a great dye system, and maybe that doesn't seem like much, but why doesn't TOR have any dyes at all? It's all these little things that give me the impression that GW2 will be the one raising the bar, while TOR is trying to lower it in every way, except the single-player story. In an MMO.

Seriously. SWTOR has raised the MMO bar incredibly high. I can imagine the GW2 team at this moment wondering how the heck they are going to release their game and have to follow SWTOR. My guess is they will now push back production to give SWTOR a little time to cool off. However, I really don't see that doing anything in the long run. SWTOR has set a new standard in MMO's, and others will have to follow or be left in the Free 2 Play cesspool. Oh wait, GW2 will be F2P isn't it?

Anyway, I'm glad I am not on that dev team and have to follow this near perfect launch.

Star Wars is good, but the massive amount of group quests is annoying. I am OCD and cannot leave any quest unfinished. It sucks! Tons of people, not any willing to help in quests.

They're using a modified version of the Aion customization system. They toned it down so you won't be able to look freakish, and that will cut into the customization quite a bit too, but, it does suggest that it'll still be pretty extensive. Aion has one of the best character creators out there.

Plus GW2 has a great dye system, and maybe that doesn't seem like much, but why doesn't TOR have any dyes at all? It's all these little things that give me the impression that GW2 will be the one raising the bar, while TOR is trying to lower it in every way, except the single-player story. In an MMO.

I wouldn't really call a nice character creator and dyes "raising the bar", those have been done to death, but to each their own.

I'm more interested in the combat/world PvP area.

But you also have to look at GW2 realistically, not everything Arenanet promises might be as great as they claimed/even be in the game at release.

I wouldn't really call a nice character creator and dyes "raising the bar", those have been done to death, but to each their own.

But you also have to look at GW2 realistically, not everything Arenanet promises might be as great as they claimed/even be in the game at release.

At the risk of sounding even more like a fanboy, Anet is a well known gaming company ranked A+

One of the reason the game is not released still and they have not said a release date is because they want every single bug to be fixed, every classes to be as balanced as possible and they keep adding stuff into the game (from player's feedback/suggestion)

Dude did you see those two videos? There is no possible way that guy could have been anything BUT sarcastic. I mean unless he is blind but then how would he be typing here?

I did, i even fought that dragon during the demo, which is why i quoted him :< hoping he was not serious ;/

Edited by mastersloup

This is my 2nd MMORPG the 1st being FFXIV really I don't see too much of a difference between this and the original Knights of the Old Republic Game Bioware put out for the xbox.

Granted this is far better in that you have a multitude of worlds you can go to and Datacrons and side quests heroic quests and flashpoint quests. I was hoping the space combat would take more after the Star Wars Battlefront space battles or the Star Wars Rogue Squadron game.

I can't really say if this is going to change the way MMORPGs I personally don't think this game will I found the crafting in FFXIV more intricate in that I had to personally go out myself get the materials and you had to master several different crafting skills to actually make anything good or usable.

I have looked up Guild Wars and from what I have seen it takes place in a medieval era vastly different then a futuristic era. Personally I prefer the medieval era for my RPG's.

Take into account that it is free you have gained a lot of support from people that don't believe they should have to buy the game and then pay to play it. Also people who can't afford pay to play. Stack those with people who have played the 1st installment. GW developers don't have all that much to worry about if anything Bioware should b worried that all the GW players will quit and play GW2.

That would be how I look at it from a logical business perspective.

At the risk of sounding even more like a fanboy, Anet is a well known gaming company ranked A+

One of the reason the game is not released still and they have not said a release date is because they want every single bug to be fixed, every classes to be as balanced as possible and they keep adding stuff into the game (from player's feedback/suggestion)

Eh, their best game is GW1. And don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the game, but it was not that amazing. It was an average MMO at best.

It's better to go into these MMO's not expecting the world, because developers are only human. There's going to be bugs at release, features they will add later ect...

It's just reality.

Of course, and that's why I'm not much of a fanboy. I'll judge the game when I can play it myself. Lot about it looks promising, but like any overhyped game, might just be a huge let down. We'll see.

I'm one of those players that thinks customization is very important, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how they do the world PvP. Given their track record, I'm guessing PvP will be a strong point of GW2. Like knowing Bioware, we knew story would be a strong point of TOR.. but they might screw it up somehow, you never know.