The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Overall game population, do you guys think the game will last?

Sech

I'm going to start off by saying I'm not trying to be a troll and I don't hate the game.

I actually really like it, and want it to last and have at the very least half the subs WoW has.

I'm just getting kinda worried, I'll admit I'm not 50 yet but the amount of hating on these forums and the number of complaints I've seen is insane.

There are problems with this game, the biggest of which is the unresponsive combat, especially in PVP (that's the biggest problem to me)

Besides that a lot of this stuff you guys are complaining about can and will be fixed, added to.

WoW had no level 60 content at release besides Upper black rock spire, and PVP in hillsboro or whatever it was called.

THAT WAS IT!

And crafting, but this game has that too.

Granted some people don't like the crafting since you aren't actually making the items, but if you really think about it..it's exactly the same except you aren't sitting at a forge or whatever.

I think a lot of the people hating on this game just need to relax, level an alt and wait a month for the raids to be fixed and then start raiding again and enjoy it as they release more content.

I hope that's what they do.

I'll admit, there are PROBLEMS with this game, but WoW had it's fair share on release too. Trust me, I was there.

I realize that doesn't excuse the game, because people are comparing it to WoW now, and that worries me.

Do you think thousands of subs will leave because of this?

I want the game to work, I quit WoW about 3 years ago after playing for 5 (since release day) and don't plan to go back. This MMO is it for me, there's nothing else that compares.

I want this game to be the next WoW just after reading all this hate it has me seriously worried.

What do you guys think?

Do you think subs will plummet after a month or two and we'll be looking at the next Rift, AOC, or Warhammer?

Do you think BW will fix all the problems?

Do you think subs will continue to go up?

Are you worried?

Is there anywhere I can see all of the current sub numbers, possibly in a graph like you can find on WoW?

Discuss.

Edited by Sech

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW had no level 50 content at release besides Upper black rock spire, and PVP in hillsboro or whatever it was called.

THAT WAS IT!

And crafting, but this game has that too.

Discuss.

There is the mistake many make when comparing SWTOR to WoW in 2004. Any MMO developer that wishes to release in 2011/12 goes head to head with WoW 2011/12, like it or not. Thats the deal. It is pointless comparing anything released in this day and age to a game that was released 7 years ago.

Did Blizzard in 2004 have that extra 7 years of hindsight, new developments, the $300million budget (they had about $60m), an incredibly successful MMO like WoW to study, new technology? The answer to that is no they didn't.

Edited by SaltAU

wow had its problems yes, what it didnt have was a fundamental problem with gameplay. im talking about the ability delay thing again, tyhere is a whole post on it so i wont go into it here. Im a massive starwars fanboy, i LOVE the genre and have for 30 odd years. With that said, right now that is all that's keeping me here. If some of the UI/Delay/basic gameplay issues are not addressed then as much as i hate to say it, ill go back to wow. I play to raid, that's my thing. I understand others do not and thats cool , im no better than them nor the other way around. I just cant see myself raiding here without things being fixed.

I'm not really sure it will but I am unconcerned either way. I think both will exist but WoW will loose some folks to TOR and later next year to GW2. But last it will.

I will say that from what I've heard and talked to people who played the demo at events I think GW2 is going to flop.

They've over hyped the hell out of it and so many people will be so disappointed once it's released that it isn't gonna go anywhere.

It will have a F2P following, but who cares those people aren't going to play TOR anyway due to it's sub.

So I don't think GW2 will do much damage in all honesty.

wow had its problems yes, what it didnt have was a fundamental problem with gameplay. im talking about the ability delay thing again, tyhere is a whole post on it so i wont go into it here. Im a massive starwars fanboy, i LOVE the genre and have for 30 odd years. With that said, right now that is all that's keeping me here. If some of the UI/Delay/basic gameplay issues are not addressed then as much as i hate to say it, ill go back to wow. I play to raid, that's my thing. I understand others do not and thats cool , im no better than them nor the other way around. I just cant see myself raiding here without things being fixed.

I mentioned this in my original post.

You're right, if that problem is not fixed I will unsub in 3-6 months.

I can't PVP with this problem (which is my personal main reason for playing MMOs) and I believe it will make raiding frustrating as all hell (my second main reason for playing MMOs).

I also raided in WoW for almost 5 years, was always in a top of my server raiding guild and got warlord in PVP before arena.

When arena was released I maintained a 3v3 team in the top 10.

If I cannot compete on some level in this game like that I will not be staying, as such I hope they fix the ability delay.

I will say that from what I've heard and talked to people who played the demo at events I think GW2 is going to flop.

They've over hyped the hell out of it and so many people will be so disappointed once it's released that it isn't gonna go anywhere.

It will have a F2P following, but who cares those people aren't going to play TOR anyway due to it's sub.

So I don't think GW2 will do much damage in all honesty.

They said the same about this game before it released too.

Expectations of games in the early 2000's are different from expectations of games a generation later.

How have you people not gotten this through your skulls?

I said that people will and are comparing the game to WoW now, which I don't personally think it can compete.

That's why I said I'm worried, unless people are willing to stick around and wait a few months for some patches, fixes, and added content I fear the game will slow to a crawl and basically die.

It won't be shut down, but it wont be popular enough, competitive enough, or good enough to warrant me staying, PVPing, and raiding in it.

And I'm worried, because WoW is NOT an option for me.

There is loads of content and storys to build on further. l am not worried, sure some people after 30 day free sub will go back playing warcraft (i dont get the hype of Wow). lts to early to speculate about the games future. Lets not worry and have fun playing instead.

I said that people will and are comparing the game to WoW now, which I don't personally think it can compete.

That's why I said I'm worried, unless people are willing to stick around and wait a few months for some patches, fixes, and added content I fear the game will slow to a crawl and basically die.

It won't be shut down, but it wont be popular enough, competitive enough, or good enough to warrant me staying, PVPing, and raiding in it.

And I'm worried, because WoW is NOT an option for me.

That's exactly what is going to happen.

If Bioware doesn't get their stuff together and start pumping out end-game fixes and content updates by the end of January, the games population is going to suffer.

Not even the slowest levelers could possibly take more than a month to get to 50 with the way this game is structured (ie. basically no grind).

Frankly, things like crafting are so easy (which are such HUGE timesinks in other games) there's really not much to keep a max level player playing regularly at the moment.

There is loads of content and storys to build on further. l am not worried, sure some people after 30 day free sub will go back playing warcraft (i dont get the hype of Wow). lts to early to speculate about the games future. Lets not worry and have fun playing instead.

I'm a worry wort.

I hope they release the current sub numbers here in a month or so, that will put a lot of my fears to rest.

Or totally freak me out, if they are terrible.

Yes this game is going to last a long, long time. I am 40 now and every planet I go to is epic. I just have to watch my back a lot because the ganking is increasing with all the lvl 50s out there.

-hides pile of Jedi corpses in garage- what ganking?

C'mon, we've all done it at LEAST 5 times

No, I'm not admitting to the slaughter of thousands of helpless Jedi! Stop being accusatory!

Gosh!

That's exactly what is going to happen.

If Bioware doesn't get their stuff together and start pumping out end-game fixes and content updates by the end of January, the games population is going to suffer.

Not even the slowest levelers could possibly take more than a month to get to 50 with the way this game is structured (ie. basically no grind).

Frankly, things like crafting are so easy (which are such HUGE time sinks in other games) there's really not much to keep a max level player playing regularly at the moment.

I agree completely.

They made the game WAY too easy and there's no reason to sink time into crafting or much of anything else (no rep, ETC) because it's so easy.

Getting affection is SUPER easy, and so are any of the soft time sinks they put into the game.

I've heard of people will 50 characters, maxed affection, every mount, basically everything in the game.

Even at release of WoW, having everything (epic mount, etc) was basically unheard of.

The economy and money system in WoW was so almost perfect that it took true effort, time, and ingenuity to play the AH and save up for your epic mount.

I loved it, and I miss it.

I hope BW can fix it

:(:(

I agree completely.

They made the game WAY too easy and there's no reason to sink time into crafting or much of anything else (no rep, ETC) because it's so easy.

Getting affection is SUPER easy, and so are any of the soft time sinks they put into the game.

I've heard of people will 50 characters, maxed affection, every mount, basically everything in the game.

Even at release of WoW, having everything (epic mount, etc) was basically unheard of.

The economy and money system in WoW was so almost perfect that it took true effort, time, and ingenuity to play the AH and save up for your epic mount.

I loved it, and I miss it.

I hope BW can fix it

:(:(

Honestly Sech after reading your posts I really do hope they fix it and you enjoy the game with reasonably healthy player base.

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan even though I was around to see the first one in a cinema, I'm just a fan of good games. For me, this is a decent single player game at best. It just falls short in too many departments as an MMO. Each to their own though and I hope you have a good future with the game. :)

Edited by SaltAU

According to the investment group IIE and Cowley & Associates SWTOR's numbers are still climbing and they think they will increase at least until the end of 1st Quarter 2012

We really won't know until the subs level off and that isn't happening anytime soon.