Could Star Wars be real?

BBriggs

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny. This is just like religion. Some people need to believe there is more out there in order to find meaning in their own existence.

Not entirely true, it is also about understanding the universe. For if you understand the laws of the physics, biology, chemistry and how energy truly works then you will find that everything is connected. The universe is apart of us as we are also apart of the universe. Do you not try to understand yourself? Are you that naive that you would assume things about the universe without seeking out discovery and understanding?

Yes some people use religion as a crutch. However it is not a crutch if you leave it as a theory, but if you put all your marbles in that basket and it is proven wrong then it can be quite devastating.

I am not a religious person at all though. So my question to you is what do you believe in? Or furthermore what do you think is going on around us?

And to the other poster, asking about humans being used in leu of dog fighting. Yes it is quite possible if the race is sadistic enough they might use us to do arena fighting. However the chances of a race traveling so far and being so technological advanced doing such a thing is quite low. Considering that unification is the only way to reach technological singularity. Which is then in turn needed to get the technology necessary to do all those things.

Just to weigh in, I recently read an article about faster-than-light particles from CERN. If nobody has conclusively disproved these results yet, that means Einstein was wrong and FTL travel is possible.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/second-experiment-confirms-faster-than-light-particles/2011/11/17/gIQAlRlTWN_story.html

For Einstein's rule to work FTL can not be possible for anything. If neutrinos can do it, why can't we? According to Einstein, mass is irrelevant.

Another thing we don't take into account is convergent evolution. Insects and other species legs evolved to be the same shape despite not coming from the same line. Not to say they would look like us for sure, but nature tends to pick out traits that are effective so i would assume they would possess at least a few common traits as us.

1. You need just the right conditions for galaxies/stars/planets.

2. You need just the right conditions for a stable star system.

3. You need just the right conditions for surface or near surface liquid water existence on the planet (and just that, because liquid water means that there are sources of energy and all the other stuff some people say are needed for life, like a magnetic field, atmosphere and others).

4. You need just the right conditions for multicellular life to evolve.

5. You need just the right conditions for more complex organisms to evolve - leading up to intelligence.

6. You need to have the "reseters" of evolutions being at a constant rate yet having enough time to give the chance to get past the point of the last evolution.

7. You need to have just the right conditions for a technological type of intelligence to evolve (think dolphins - no way of manipulating an energy source, no technology).

8. You need to have just the right value of the gravity (so this will limit the size of planet and the composition of the planet) in order to develop flight technology.

9. ....

XXXX[...]XXXX. The civilization must endure long enough for us to make contact with it, or discover faster than light technology. In any case, they would be so far ahead of us that we'd be closer to ans than to any of them, making any sort of contact just a dream.

So for all intents and purposes, we're ALONE. And even if there are alien civilizations out there they too far away in either space or time so that we'll never be able to "talk" to them. So again, we're ALONE.

P.S. My imagination is quite wild, and i am able to picture life on other planets. But we can't talk to bacteria, can we? We need intelligence, and technological intelligence for that matter in order to talk to them. That has such a low chance of individually existing in this universe and for all intents of purposes the chance of two such similar civilizations meeting each other is no greater than Schroedinger's cat jumping on my lap as i'm typing this. Meooow!

the light-saber was developed from a laser cutter used in construction, and refined into a handheld device, turns out it's a great weapon.

everything from SW is plausible, except for the force.

i have a literal and analytical mind, i love starwars, but i hate jedi and the force :(.

oh, and another thing.

for all you people up there fearing an alien invasion i ask you this:

why would a civilization that has the power to produce enough energy in order to travel from one solar system to another or from one galaxy to another, and also construct the machines necessary for such travel (as another poster intelligently underlined, the only and true valuable in the universe is energy (and i'd also like to add time too ;) ) invade our puny planet?

resources? wow, there are lots and lots of other places in our solar system with a lot more valuable resources and in greater quantities than earth. as for water, if you care to mention that one, there is more water in the comets and asteroids in our solar system than on earth, of a hundred earths for that matter.

threat? we'd be as much as a threat to them as an ant is to you.

there is no reason we can possibly think for an alien civilization to invade us BUT... if they do invade than god help us - the only humans that would survive are the ones that would do what any other mammal did the last time we were on the brink of destruction, some 65 million years ago. find the deepest hole and stay there for as much as possible!

but at least i'd lay down in peace thinking that there's nothing personal. i mean if one squishes a bug, does one have something personal against it? :D

the light-saber was developed from a laser cutter used in construction, and refined into a handheld device, turns out it's a great weapon.

i have a literal and analytical mind, i love starwars, but i hate jedi and the force :(.

and light sabers of course there is no way to have a light saber. A weapon that can cut through anything gives off no heat and is able to deflect blaster bolts (which blaster bolts are also kind of impossible) and also have a solid form where it can clash with other light sabers.

OH also being able to walk out of your spaceship in an asteroid with out a space suit is also impossible.

oh, and another thing.

for all you people up there fearing an alien invasion i ask you this:

why would a civilization that has the power to produce enough energy in order to travel from one solar system to another or from one galaxy to another, and also construct the machines necessary for such travel (as another poster intelligently underlined, the only and true valuable in the universe is energy (and i'd also like to add time too ;) ) invade our puny planet?

resources? wow, there are lots and lots of other places in our solar system with a lot more valuable resources and in greater quantities than earth. as for water, if you care to mention that one, there is more water in the comets and asteroids in our solar system than on earth, of a hundred earths for that matter.

threat? we'd be as much as a threat to them as an ant is to you.

there is no reason we can possibly think for an alien civilization to invade us BUT... if they do invade than god help us - the only humans that would survive are the ones that would do what any other mammal did the last time we were on the brink of destruction, some 65 million years ago. find the deepest hole and stay there for as much as possible!

but at least i'd lay down in peace thinking that there's nothing personal. i mean if one squishes a bug, does one have something personal against it? :D

oh also the concept of engery shileds for space ships is also impossible. What kind of engery is it? Electrical? Is it some sort of Magnetic Field? It's just one of those Science fiction things we just accept even though it has no basis in reality.

So Lightsabers, Blasters, Engery Shields are all impossible.

Exactly what I was about to suggest, what would be the point of them attacking us, they'd have nothing to gain by doing so.

Chocolate...duh

Which brings up the more important question. Are we already their unwitting chocolate farmers?

If nobody has conclusively disproved these results yet, that means Einstein was wrong and FTL travel is possible.

Ummmm.... no it doesn't. I mean, he probably is, but no it doesn't.

Edited by Roycerson

Anything is possible. The sad thing is we could of had a very Star Trek type of society right now if we did not let politics, money and greed get in the way. A global space Federation could be done right now. We could have a base on the moon and taking 7 yr trips to Mars. A private company wanted to mine asteroids 15 years ago but the US said they would not allow them to launch inside the US.

It is naive to think we are the only ones here and arogant to think we are the most superior. I think sci-fi does a good job of showing how different beings would evolve on different world. We just need the humonoid model to relate to.

and light sabers of course there is no way to have a light saber. A weapon that can cut through anything gives off no heat and is able to deflect blaster bolts (which blaster bolts are also kind of impossible) and also have a solid form where it can clash with other light sabers.

OH also being able to walk out of your spaceship in an asteroid with out a space suit is also impossible.

Blaster bolts as i've seen them described in the books are actually matter and not energy, superheated plasma that is focused through a magnetic field and fired. Completely plausible with current technology to make small scale blasts with huge machines. Obviously the current technology that we have would prevent portable weapons.

As for light sabers, again they are possible if its a focused plasma weapon, and as they are described they are more chainsaws than blades, and they do give off immense heat, enough to cauterize a wound instantly.

And the walking on in the asteroid... if there was any sort of atmosphere created by the asteroid worm within its body, it would be possible. Explosive decompression only happens when the outside pressure is drastically less than the internal pressure of an object.

Anything is possible. The sad thing is we could of had a very Star Trek type of society right now if we did not let politics, money and greed get in the way. A global space Federation could be done right now. We could have a base on the moon and taking 7 yr trips to Mars. A private company wanted to mine asteroids 15 years ago but the US said they would not allow them to launch inside the US.

It is naive to think we are the only ones here and arogant to think we are the most superior. I think sci-fi does a good job of showing how different beings would evolve on different world. We just need the humonoid model to relate to.

The main problem with space exploration and such is that NASA currently undercuts any private company by selling their launch services at a loss, if a phone company wants to launch a satellite, and Space Cargo LLC says it will cost $1B, giving them say a $100M profit, NASA will do it for $400M total, taking a $600M loss on the launch.

We actually would have been 1000 years ahead of our time, if it weren't for the dark ages and everybody didn't end up killing one another all the time over the course of history for stupid reasons.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Blaster bolts as i've seen them described in the books are actually matter and not energy, superheated plasma that is focused through a magnetic field and fired. Completely plausible with current technology to make small scale blasts with huge machines. Obviously the current technology that we have would prevent portable weapons.

As for light sabers, again they are possible if its a focused plasma weapon, and as they are described they are more chainsaws than blades, and they do give off immense heat, enough to cauterize a wound instantly.

And the walking on in the asteroid... if there was any sort of atmosphere created by the asteroid worm within its body, it would be possible. Explosive decompression only happens when the outside pressure is drastically less than the internal pressure of an object.

ok lets say they are super heated plasma that is focused through a magnetic field.

That has to be an extrmely strong magnetic field not to hold the plasma in while it is still you can use a weak magnetic field for that. But it needs a strong magnetic field while it is moving. Magnetic fields are easy to defeat so if you push a collection of plasma (which is a gas essentially) at a high velocity it will break apart unless you have a strong magnetic field.

So that means it needs a projectile with the blaster bolt that is able to create a strong magnetic field.

Additionally if it has a strong magnetic field that also means that it will attract any ferrous material and be attracted to any ferrous material.

So since we see in the star wars movies it features none of those things it is not possible.

Lightsaber. How exactly do you plan on focusing the plasma?? Another Magnetic field?? If so you come across the same problems ie strong magnetic field attracts metal and it would have to be strong otherwise when you swing the light saber the plasma would go everywhere.

Plus how does a Lightsaber make contact with another lightsaber? If it is just plasma they will go right through each other as Plasama is a gas with an electrical charge or an ionoized gas.

i agree the light saber cauterizes wounds however it cant' give off any heat beacuse if it did when just hold it your hand would get really hot due to the fact the amount of heat required to instantly cut through anything has to be extremely high. Theres a reason why welders wear a ton of saftey equipment and why they are sweating after welding for a little bit.

It's hard to believe that an asteroid (espeically one that small would have an atmosphere) but then if the creature did create it's own atmosphere shouldn't that have been a huge red flag to Han when they noticed it? I assume they noticed there was an atmosphere BEFORE they went outside. Not to mention it's space so the asteroid should be freezing.

Edited by jarjarloves

ok lets say they are super heated plasma that is focused through a magnetic field.

That has to be an extrmely strong magnetic field not to hold the plasma in while it is still you can use a weak magnetic field for that. But it needs a strong magnetic field while it is moving. Magnetic fields are easy to defeat so if you push a collection of plasma (which is a gas essentially) at a high velocity it will break apart unless you have a strong magnetic field.

So that means it needs a projectile with the blaster bolt that is able to create a strong magnetic field.

Additionally if it has a strong magnetic field that also means that it will attract any ferries material and be attracted to any ferries material.

So since we see in the star wars movies it features none of those things it is not possible.

Lightsaber. How exactly do you plan on focusing the plasma?? Another Magnetic field?? If so you come across the same problems ie strong magnetic field attracts metal and it would have to be strong otherwise when you swing the light saber the plasma would go everywhere.

Plus how does a Lightsaber make contact with another lightsaber? If it is just plasma they will go right through each other as Plasama is a gas with an electrical charge or an ionoized gas.

i agree the light saber cauterizes wounds however it cant' give off any heat beacuse if it did when just hold it your hand would get really hot due to the fact the amount of heat required to instantly cut through anything has to be extremely high. Theres a reason why welders wear a ton of saftey equipment and why they are sweating after welding for a little bit.

It's hard to believe that an asteroid (espeically one that small would have an atmosphere) but then if the creature did create it's own atmosphere shouldn't that have been a huge red flag to Han when they noticed it? I assume they noticed there was an atmosphere BEFORE they went outside. Not to mention it's space so the asteroid should be freezing.

Pointing out there was no atmosphere on the asteroid with the worm, Han and the group had to use oxygen masks to breath through.

Pointing out there was no atmosphere on the asteroid with the worm, Han and the group had to use oxygen masks to breath through.

and that would give them oxygen however they would freeze to death long before they would even be able to take a breath. This is an asteroid in space there is no sunlight to heat the inside of it it's gonna be beyond ice cold.

Additionally if it has a strong magnetic field that also means that it will attract any ferries material and be attracted to any ferries material.

Im no physics expert myself but i think you take a great deal of liberty and talk with such forceful authority on a subject that you appear to have amateur level understanding in. Just my impression, I may be wrong.

Lasers are able to cut through things with almost no heat. We are using this technology today. Along with ionization technology that itself is capable of great destruction while giving off almost no heat. This technology is so developed its being used in dental offices today - obliterating the plaque on your teeth *on contact* without burning you.

While Lightsabers do pose unique problems, blaster bolts are indeed quite possible. Simply fire a brief pulse of a strong laser. At the right concentration, a laser will burn right through metal armor and animal flesh, and then dissipate without causing any further damage. Stronger and faster and more accurate than projectiles, and visible. A blaster bolt in every respect. I've seen a video of a real live surgery, where the doctor blasted a kidney stone with a laser. You saw a brief string of light, and the stone exploded. The same lasers are used to cut flesh with greater accuracy than a scalpel

and its ferrous not ferris

Edited by LordMerrick

Edit: I just had a thought perhaps that's why Stormtroopers are such horrible shots. They are aiming dead on but their blaster bolts have a strong magnetic field and are being attracted to metal around the area so they are going off course and missing.

Im no physics expert myself but i think you take a great deal of liberty and talk with such forceful authority on a subject that you appear to have amateur level understanding in. Just my impression, I may be wrong.

Lasers are able to cut through things with almost no heat. We are using this technology today. Along with ionization technology that itself is capable of great destruction while giving off almost no heat. This technology is so developed its being used in dental offices today - obliterating the plaque on your teeth *on contact* without burning you.

While Lightsabers do pose unique problems, blaster bolts are indeed quite possible. Simply fire a brief pulse of a strong laser. At the right concentration, a laser will burn right through metal armor and animal flesh, and then dissipate without causing any further damage.

and its ferrous

working on my masters in Physics.

I agree with you that Lasers produce almost no heat but thats not what we are talking about we were talking about super heated plasma.

If they use super powered laser for the light saber then the problem is how do you make it stop at the end? The laser would go on forever. Plus light has no real physical form so if you had two light sabers they would just slice right through each other.

Plus a laser based light saber wouldn't be able to deflect anything.

For blasters we know they can't be lasers or even laser pulses. If they were they would look more like Phasers on Star Trek where you see the line go from the gun to the target. You can't make a laser fire like a projectile.

remember we see the blaster bolts fire from the barrel of the gun to the target. If they were lasers they would move at the speed of light and we wouldn't be able to see it. It would like they are moving instantly.

sorry about the ferrous typing from phone while I wait in line and I am extremely exhausted.

Anyhow Main idea here

We do have a lot of things that can do SOME of the things that Star Wars technology can however it is 100% impossible to do all the things in one item.

We can make something that can cut like a light saber but not something that can cut, deflect and block other light sabers.

Energy Shields again something passed down from sci fi to sci fi that we just accept with out even thinking about. It's fine and shields are needed for cool sci fi but there is 0 science behind them.

Edited by jarjarloves