Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

Blackk

No matter how successful this game ends up Biowares reputation will be ruined, but people will blame EA instead of try and say its not real Bioware but Bioware Austin.

No company involved in a MMO regardless of success comes out with a better reputation

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbish........lol people on these forums would believe that grass was blue and sky was green if someone posted it. The fact that gap toothed eleven year olds and malicious old trolls can post here doesn't seem to enter into peoples heads.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Read the post and read between the lines, and then read the EULA.

He/they were doing something he/they weren't supposed to be doing and it resulted in punishment for the action.

You KNOW if you're doing something that might be considered an exploit. If you even think you're doing something that "might" be considered an exploit, you shouldn't be doing it and you get a ban.

Serves them right.

I don't even think BW should have to tell people what happened. If you're doing something wrong, you know it's wrong and deserve what you get.

The people involved know what they did and are just trying to stir up sympathy by not telling all the facts. Don't buy in to it.

/endthread

Read the post and read between the lines, and then read the EULA.

He/they were doing something he/they weren't supposed to be doing and it resulted in punishment for the action.

You are making an assumption here nothing more. There are no lines to be read between.

Avoiding the issue we are, yes.

No, just comparing this silly "message" to other communications provided by BioWare, and realizing that the folks who write such communications have both a manual of style and, typically, an editor to which they are beholden, there are so many mistakes in this "message" that it's pretty damned obvious it's a fake. To wit:

1. No editor worth their salt would've allowed passive voice in this kind of communication. "We wish to notify you that we are sanctioning..."? Really?
  2. No comma between "From an investigation of your account" and "we can see".
  3. "Loot Containers" shouldn't be capitalized.
  4. It's "Ilum", not "Illum".
  5. Missing space between "(below level 40)." and "Illum [sic] is intended"
  6. "Level" shouldn't be capitalized.
  7. "Account" shouldn't be capitalized.
  8. No indication of what "a ban on your Account" is, actually. Typically, accounts are either temporarily banned, for a specified time period, or permanently banned. In both cases, the type and length of such bans are explicitly specified, for legal purposes.
  9. Comma missing before "up to and including".
  10. Unless the "message" came from the EU, it's spelled "familiarize".

Basically, someone with little or no concept of technical writing, but with some experience of getting kicked off a game, drafted this silly little "message".

Edited by FormlessOne

Aren't SW:TOR mails in proper protocol droid format? I'm pretty sure that they're customer service headers all start with. At least, every time I've communicated with them, it's started out as

Greetings ZefiruShrike,

I am Protocol Droid B6-D6 of Human-Cyborg Relations.

I have received your transmission regarding your issue...

etc.

Edited by ZefiruShrike

No, just comparing this silly "message" to other communications provided by BioWare, and realizing that the folks who write such communications have both a manual of style and, typically, an editor to which they are beholden, there are so many mistakes in this "message" that it's pretty damned obvious it's a fake. To wit:

1. No editor worth their salt would've allowed passive voice in this kind of communication. "We wish to notify you that we are sanctioning..."? Really?
  8. No indication of what "a ban on your Account" is, actually. Typically, accounts are either temporarily banned, for a specified time period, or permanently banned. In both cases, the type and length of such bans are explicitly specified, for legal purposes.

Basically, someone with little or no concept of technical writing, but with some experience of getting kicked off a game, drafted this silly little "message".

Can't argue with that, nice to see a real list provided.

Sad part is I think the email is legit. I have heard from people I trust that they also were banned for going to ilum at low level to loot stuff. I personally have seen one of the emails and it has all those errors but is from bioware.

Sad part is I think the email is legit. I have heard from people I trust that they also were banned for going to ilum at low level to loot stuff. I personally have seen one of the emails and it has all those errors but is from bioware.

The very definition of "hearsay," ladies and gentlemen.

can you get us some screenshots of theese please?

can you get us some screenshots of theese please?

Im saying I saw the email not a screenshot of it. The parts the guy who originally posted took out had to do with account names and emails. I dont really care if you believe me honestly I am just conveying what I saw. I think Bioware doesnt want people in those high lvl areas at low level because they dont want newbs with millions of credits. Its clearly a lvl 50 area. That being said they are banning people for going there below lvl 40. Ive seen the email I cant believe Bioware would send emails out like that. Must be a company who's first language is not english who made that email (meaning I think they outsource this stuff).

Edited by Leggomy

Well I checked out the subscription email and even it had a spelling mistake. If you still have yours they spell notification, notfication when referring the the 30/60 day plan.

Yep - not everything gets caught. I've been in the field for over a decade, and editors occasionally miss things. Here's the text from mine, for folks who don't have theirs (the typo is emphasized):

Greetings FormlessOne:

You have successfully created a subscription for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. If you subscribed to a 30 or 60 day recurring plan, you will be billed on a recurring basis without further notfication. If you are subscribed to a 180 day recurring plan, you will be notified approximately 30 days prior to being billed.

To view or change your subscription information visit http://www.swtor.com/user/account

May the Force be with you,

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Team

However, compare the flow, grammar, and wording of this message with the dreck posted by the OP, and you'll see they're not even close.

Technical writers, lawyers, and editors are expensive; entry-level customer support is cheap. You get what you pay for. The interesting part about this list is that the bulk of errors seem to occur in the second paragraph - the one that the CS rep, lacking a ready-to-go template, would have to fill in by hand to explain the offense. I'm not claiming that the e-mail is genuine, but I'm not willing to outright dismiss it either.

Im saying I saw the email not a screenshot of it. The parts the guy who originally posted took out had to do with account names and emails. I dont really care if you believe me honestly I am just conveying what I saw. I think Bioware doesnt want people in those high lvl areas at low level because they dont want newbs with millions of credits. Its clearly a lvl 50 area. That being said they are banning people for going there below lvl 40. Ive seen the email I cant believe Bioware would send emails out like that. Must be a company who's first language is not english who made that email (meaning I think they outsource this stuff).

How did you see it again?

So many of you complaining on how this was a bad move by bio.. I bet there was a lot more to the story then what you see in the op's post. I've seen two guys on my server who sit by these chest for hours hell maybe even all day just looting which has led me to believe its some type of auto looter anti afk tool. Hell try using google. These chest locations and tools needed are provided by multiple game exploiting sites.. Edited by Valdrixx