Galactic Seasons 7 - Season of Disappointment

I very rarely say this about SWTOR but this season is just a disappointment to me.  Unless I'm forgetting something, this is the first season where you are required to group with others if you want to complete all of the achievements:

image.png.a6531e65fcf5411e4ff7eaf05c294e5e.png

Nobody is going to be soloing the Dark and Light side World Bosses.

I don't mind the DvL theme (even though it should have never been removed from the game in the first place) as there are many players who could use those tokens on the vendors but, as usual, the long time players (almost 13 years now) just get ignored.  There is nothing new on the Dark and Light vendors for long time subs and I am also going to be throwing away Season tokens on stuff I don't need at the vendor (except for I think two new mounts) because I am maxed out on them.

There are so many unreleased (or very limited) pets and other things in collections that could be thrown on the vendors but SWTOR just refuses to do so. New decorations or anything else new would be a welcome addition to the vendors.

• Like 12

fully support - let's add some of the rarer collections items, pets, etc, that can no longer be acquired - make them expensive if you want; we're just losing/wasting GS tokens... send a little love to the folks who've been playing for 10+ years.

Doesn't seem unreasonable?

Cheers,

J

• Like 2

Fully agree. SWTOR has been trying to force us to group for years. People say, but this is an MMO, folks are supposed to group. I say, an MMO just means there are other folks in the world.

MMO means massive multiplayer on line. It's not an MGO, massive grouping online. Doesn't matter to me. I'll finish the 100 levels, and maybe the 100  tasks, but I'll leave the 40 world bosses to others. I pay my monthly sub and will play the way I choose. 

Though I will say, even though it was a grind, I did enjoy the Bessi venture. It gave me something to do. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, MishaCantu said:

Fully agree. SWTOR has been trying to force us to group for years. People say, but this is an MMO, folks are supposed to group. I say, an MMO just means there are other folks in the world.

MMO means massive multiplayer on line. It's not an MGO, massive grouping online.

This is purely my opinion but I think it holds together.  The mentality that MMO means grouping probably comes from the original MMOs.  At the time most, if not all, required grouping to do the majority of things.  This included leveling and crafting.  Some players/classes could solo better than others but it was nowhere near the norm.  MMOs have gotten more solo friendly as each new one came out or they did ‘updates’ to the older ones.   I think it’s more an example of two different groups having different definitions for MMO. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Darcmoon said:

This is purely my opinion but I think it holds together.  The mentality that MMO means grouping probably comes from the original MMOs.  At the time most, if not all, required grouping to do the majority of things.  This included leveling and crafting.  Some players/classes could solo better than others but it was nowhere near the norm.  MMOs have gotten more solo friendly as each new one came out or they did ‘updates’ to the older ones.   I think it’s more an example of two different groups having different definitions for MMO. 

You're probably correct and no hard feelings to those who think from a different perspective. I used to do OPs/Raids, even PVP, but due to a physical handicap I developed with age, it's no longer possible. That being said, there's something to be said for "Play your way." My monthly sub money spends as well as anyone's, however I do understand that the developers have to cater to both sides of that coin. I just don't care much for gated content without an alternative being offered. Oh well, it is what it is. 

5 minutes ago, MishaCantu said:

You're probably correct and no hard feelings to those who think from a different perspective. I used to do OPs/Raids, even PVP, but due to a physical handicap I developed with age, it's no longer possible. That being said, there's something to be said for "Play your way." My monthly sub money spends as well as anyone's, however I do understand that the developers have to cater to both sides of that coin. I just don't care much for gated content without an alternative being offered. Oh well, it is what it is. 

Oh I agree.  I’m mostly solo play or playing with a couple of friends nowadays.  I was just saying why I think there is a difference in what people thing a MMO is.  I remember when they usually had RPG after the MMO.  That has pretty much been dropped now.  

• Like 1

Maybe they could change it to allow both options. The achievement could require 400 points. Killing a Dark/Light boss would give 10 points, completing a normal bounty mission would be 1 point, and completing a heroic bounty mission would be 3 points. It would be possible to do solo, but you'd have to play most weeks or at least have an army of alts. Another option would be keeping the 400 points with the bosses giving 10 points but instead of tracking bounty contract missions, track the Bounty Contract weeklies (season objectives). They could give 23 points each, and it would be possible to complete in 18 weeks solo.

I do want to warn everyone not to get hopes up. I highly doubt they will make any changes.

Edited by ThanderSnB
  • Like 2

Last season also had a ridiculous achievement in collecting 1.5k of those blueprint fragments so I'm absolutely not surprised this trend will continue for now with the season system

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MishaCantu said:

The groups forming for the DvL bosses tend to be full Ops frames, i.e. 24 people. And you can honestly die in the first 10-20 seconds of the fight (just get a couple abilities off), as some die to the mechanics quickly anyway, and the group will do just fine. 

Another option is to do the bosses in a guild group, where they understand your particular physical limitations and don't mind if you happen to understandably be less active in your approach to each boss. 

40 doesn't take too long, and it's probably best to join groups early in the season if you'd like the 'achievement' flair. The other requirements for it are solo ones. 

As for solo vs. group content, I personally think SWTOR has released way too little group content since 4.0/KotFE. There used to be different kinds of group content for different types of players - SM Ops for casual Ops players, HM/NiM for progression Ops, HM or SM Flashpoints for 4-person content that could occasionally be somewhat challenging, 8-person Warzones for objective-based PVP (which also fulfilled a Star Wars battle fantasy, on a smaller scale), Galactic Starfighter for what ended up a niche but very fun space PVP mode (niche because of the difficult learning curve for most, not the idea of space PVP), 4-person Arenas for folks who really just wanted to focus on being the best at defeating other players, 4-person group heroics in Event content, open world heroics on the original leveling planets before open world difficulty was nuked in 4.0, PVE Conquest bosses for Guildship encryptions and frameworks, and more. 

The problem, like most things with SWTOR, is the budget dropped off for producing a full game, including group content of different kinds, to the point where anything that requires a group is now seen as hostile by some players, which wasn't generally the case the first few years SWTOR was live. The game was making plenty of money, but not much was being reinvested in it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, denajii said:

Last season also had a ridiculous achievement in collecting 1.5k of those blueprint fragments so I'm absolutely not surprised this trend will continue for now with the season system

I would not call this one as ridiculous as the blueprint fragments where you had to do 3 hours of optimized grinding (or more if not optimized) on top of the full season. The intent of this achievement is for you to do the Ancient Enemies Returned each week (2 enemies every week for 20 weeks) meaning you can get it done by just doing the weekly objectives and maybe an occasional extra BBA contract.

However, you don't have to do that and it is entirely possible to just spend a few hours grinding the same two DvL bosses over and over and over again. Don't recommend that option though since you'll trigger the anti-farming system and stop getting LS/DS tokens part way through. XD

10 hours ago, Screaming_Ziva said:

I very rarely say this about SWTOR but this season is just a disappointment to me.  Unless I'm forgetting something, this is the first season where you are required to group with others if you want to complete all of the achievements:

image.png.a6531e65fcf5411e4ff7eaf05c294e5e.png

Nobody is going to be soloing the Dark and Light side World Bosses.

I don't mind the DvL theme (even though it should have never been removed from the game in the first place) as there are many players who could use those tokens on the vendors but, as usual, the long time players (almost 13 years now) just get ignored.  There is nothing new on the Dark and Light vendors for long time subs and I am also going to be throwing away Season tokens on stuff I don't need at the vendor (except for I think two new mounts) because I am maxed out on them.

There are so many unreleased (or very limited) pets and other things in collections that could be thrown on the vendors but SWTOR just refuses to do so. New decorations or anything else new would be a welcome addition to the vendors.

You are not required to group up for anything actually.. As you might know or not, there is a system called "shared tagging" which was introduced in 7.0. What does that mean, u can stand in front of any dvl world boss (in this particular example) not being in group, put single dot or hit the boss while 3 or 4 different ops groups are killing it and the kill itself still gonna count for everyone. Shared tagging doesnt work for mixed sides. So for example, if reps pull the boss and you are on imperial char, kill will not count for you.  That covers DvL bosses for this achievement. For Bounty contracts it is full solo experience. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dormei said:

You are not required to group up for anything actually.. As you might know or not, there is a system called "shared tagging" which was introduced in 7.0. What does that mean, u can stand in front of any dvl world boss (in this particular example) not being in group, put single dot or hit the boss while 3 or 4 different ops groups are killing it and the kill itself still gonna count for everyone. Shared tagging doesnt work for mixed sides. So for example, if reps pull the boss and you are on imperial char, kill will not count for you.  That covers DvL bosses for this achievement. For Bounty contracts it is full solo experience. 

I know all about "shared tagging" but you are really splitting hairs here.  Yes, you technically do not need to be in a group.  However, you still have to rely on other people to complete the achievement.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Screaming_Ziva said:

I know all about "shared tagging" but you are really splitting hairs here.  Yes, you technically do not need to be in a group.  However, you still have to rely on other people to complete the achievement.

Firstly I'm not seeing any problem with doing that cheevo myself.  Also it's like saying "Do you need to rely on other people to kill operation bosses ?! ". Well yes, you can't solo everything in the game. As I said "shared tagging" is your friend here. Those bosses were not designed for solo kills or solo farming. As much as you want to complete this achievement while not needing to group up with others sadly it's the only way. If you don't like the idea you can always skip it. I did it myself with previous season achievement when you had to collect 1500 blueprint fragments.. Between those two, I vote <Bounty Paid> cheevo is way more fun for both solo and group enjoyers. 

Edited by Dormei
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dormei said:

Firstly I'm not seeing any problem with doing that cheevo myself.  Also it's like saying "Do you need to rely on other people to kill operation bosses ?! ". Well yes, you can't solo everything in the game. As I said "shared tagging" is your friend here. Those bosses were not designed for solo kills or solo farming. As much as you want to complete this achievement while not needing to group up with others sadly it's the only way. If you don't like the idea you can always skip it. I did it myself with previous season achievement when you had to collect 1500 blueprint fragments.. Between those two, I vote <Bounty Paid> cheevo is way more fun for both solo and group enjoyers. 

Not to mention 1.5k blueprint is way harder to get as a pure solo than group players.

People are spamming LFM DvL boss all the time at least on SF and Malgus right now. Even SV got a 24 men group yesterday. Pure solo players just need to ride the hype train early so they can get to 40 kills fast. I would imagine later in the season there will be less groups so it would be much harder for solo players to share tag it.

• Like 2

They went from NO COMPANIONS  to SWTOR stories and Barbie strongholds  to now just plain NOTHING but old tokens. Everything else  including mounts and pets have always been there .

SO WHERE's the BEEF?

Hard pass for me

At least a little break from the incessant grind fest 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Galactic season isn't meant exclusively for Solo players. So there is 1 achievement you need to group for. You can do it or not, that is your choice. Either way it give 0 achievement points.

Group players have something for them to do this time other then just the group Objectives. The last 6 season's you could do all of Galactic season solo if you wanted. About time Broadsword had something for group players.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, eabevella said:

Not to mention 1.5k blueprint is way harder to get as a pure solo than group players.

This was false. I got my blueprints from CZ's phase area 1000 times faster then I could have from doing Group Content.

Edited by Toraak
  • Like 1

It's hard to say it's a dissapopintment after last season which from my persepctive was the low point in the series (no story, no companion, and a stronghold you unlock once per server so no real "replayability"). All in all, last season was just do Conquest and earn these extra "rewards", nothing new or different (in fact the first "mission" was run these old, long flashpoints because no one runs them otherwise). I do have to say that a one time use "bubbles" item is a bit cheap for a Seasons level reward. Nothing really worth making an effort for (since I'm not an achievement chaser anyway). This might be the first season where I don't even complete the 100 levels, no real incentive to go after any of the rewards there and Conquest burnout is a real issue (no need for the gear, mats, fragments, or credits at this point). I'm happy for the people who are "bounty hunters" that they have something to head canon but there are a lot of people getting basically nothing out of participating in the "event" which I think will show up in the "final numbers" for the season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toraak said:

This was false. I got my blueprints from CZ's phase area 1000 times faster then I could have from doing Group Content.

Check that thread about the blueprint drop rate. I hit 1500 without even counting it (well, not before I saw that thread) by grinding SM Ops which *guarantees* 6 blueprints per run instead of the RNG bs people in that thread complaining about. Plus I also got thousands of tech frags among other mats like op-1 per run. Average SM Ops grind is 30-40min and most pug groups pull off a DF/DP run in under 1h. It's faster, less RNG dependent, and way more profitable than killing trash mobs in CZ.

Which is why I have said multiple times in that thread that the blueprint drop rate is bs design and biased toward group players. The DvL 40 kill chievo is less so because it's not pretending to be an objective that's for everyone like the blueprint, and solo player can easily tag the DvL bosses at least early in the season on SF.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eabevella said:

Check that thread about the blueprint drop rate. I hit 1500 without even counting it (well, not before I saw that thread) by grinding SM Ops which *guarantees* 6 blueprints per run instead of the RNG bs people in that thread complaining about. Plus I also got thousands of tech frags among other mats like op-1 per run. Average SM Ops grind is 30-40min and most pug groups pull off a DF/DP run in under 1h. It's faster, less RNG dependent, and way more profitable than killing trash mobs in CZ.

Which is why I have said multiple times in that thread that the blueprint drop rate is bs design and biased toward group players. The DvL 40 kill chievo is less so because it's not pretending to be an objective that's for everyone like the blueprint, and solo player can easily tag the DvL bosses at least early in the season on SF.

I know that thread, and I'm going to be 100% blunt. You did it the slow way. In that 1 hour of DF/DP you got your 12 blueprints, even on a slow CZ run with a popped Braz gift I was getting 80 in the same hour. Once I realized I could just reset the phase, instead of reset the quest I had no issues getting between 80-130 per hour. Compared to your 12 per hour I'll take that any day of the week.  

Even if you went to DK to farm instead of CZ, you could still get 60-80 in that same hour using a gift. 

Edited by Toraak

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that they doubled down on stupid achievement objectives. I ran CZ until my eyes were sore on the last GS, I'm not going to spend months trying to get into 40 groups for the DvL bosses for this one.

The only issue I have with this season is the achievement. BS should flop the numbers for it

40 reg contracts 

20 kingpin contracts

10 dark and light boss. 

I was in a group that battle and killed  2 DL bosses and didn’t get credit for either. That was absolutely miserable. I haven’t been able to find another group to do them since, and if this is going to happen every week I’m already out for the count.

Edited by AFadedMemory
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Toraak said:

I know that thread, and I'm going to be 100% blunt. You did it the slow way. In that 1 hour of DF/DP you got your 12 blueprints, even on a slow CZ run with a popped Braz gift I was getting 80 in the same hour. Once I realized I could just reset the phase, instead of reset the quest I had no issues getting between 80-130 per hour. Compared to your 12 per hour I'll take that any day of the week.  

Even if you went to DK to farm instead of CZ, you could still get 60-80 in that same hour using a gift. 

So all the people complaining in that thread about not getting blueprints by mindless killing low level trash in CZ were doing it wrong? Good to know because I'm glad I took the "slow" way but still beating them to the chievo lmao