Hairstyle and beards still cost CM coins after purchasing the unlock???

There were some new hair and beard customizations on CM. I bought both of them, clicked the inventory item, it said, it is unlocked for the account and....

I STILL need to pay for them if I want to change my character hairstyle or beard. I mean what the heck? I just BOUGHT that unlock!

So, do I do something wrong or is this a bug?

It has always been that way when using the appearance editor. Any changing of an existing character costs cc's. The unlock does just that unlocks it for use on your account.

23 minutes ago, Przemo_No said:

There were some new hair and beard customizations on CM. I bought both of them, clicked the inventory item, it said, it is unlocked for the account and....

I STILL need to pay for them if I want to change my character hairstyle or beard. I mean what the heck? I just BOUGHT that unlock!

So, do I do something wrong or is this a bug?

You did not do anything wrong. Swtor is just considerably behind when it comes to allowing players to customize their characters for decent prices.
Wish that some devs would play XIV or ESO, where you either buy the cosmetic with real money and change it for free after, or unlock the cosmetic in game and change it for the in-game currency.

Yes it's terrible, even more when you realize that most of the hairstyles you buy aren't that great in quality. "Appearance Option : Shaggy" hairstyle still clips inside the head of your character at every movement you do. But yeah, the cartel market is home to "quality products" for sure ;)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, supertimtaf said:

Wish that some devs would play XIV or ESO, where you either buy the cosmetic with real money and change it for free after

The devs should just sell a 1-time purchase token that gives you unlimited access to the appearance modifier. Maybe limit it to same species if they have to.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Traceguy said:

The devs should just sell a 1-time purchase token that gives you unlimited access to the appearance modifier. Maybe limit it to same species if they have to.

Imo there should be no reason to limit us from changing our appearance except maybe the race.

Everything else should be made available with credits once you unlocked it. I seriously doubt appearance station's usage represent a massive portion of the game's revenues anyway. Besides this would be a cool way to fight inflation. 100k for a cosmetic change would feel quite okay in my book.

Edited by supertimtaf
typo :(
  • Like 3

I got caught with this also. I bought it yesterday and it didnt show in my character creation. Bought it again and it didnt show in my Character creation. There is some false advertisement going on here.  It does show in Appearance Designer in which i have to spend money again.... 

It is not available in Character Creation which is false advertising as it clearly states that it is available.

22 hours ago, Przemo_No said:

What you unlocked was the ability to use the hairstyle in the appearance editor, nothing more.

12 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

What you unlocked was the ability to use the hairstyle in the appearance editor, nothing more.

That ability was ALWAYS there. I could buy it for the same 80 CC, But I thought that buying the unlock will eliminate the necessity for paying for that hairstyle each time i wanna use it, in the appearance manager.  That is NOT the case, ergo - false advertisment. Gonna make a ticket, and see what the respnse will be.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KittWindlow said:

I got caught with this also. I bought it yesterday and it didnt show in my character creation. Bought it again and it didnt show in my Character creation. There is some false advertisement going on here.  It does show in Appearance Designer in which i have to spend money again.... 

It is not available in Character Creation which is false advertising as it clearly states that it is available.

That must be a bug because it is showing for me in the Character Creator. Do you have the correct species and gender?

The hairstyles from Appearance Options: Fallen Master Beard & Hairstyle and Appearance Options: Loyal Adherent Hairstyles are only available to Male and Female Human, Cyborg, Cathar, Mirialan, Miraluka, Chiss, or Sith Pureblood.

The beards from Appearance Options: Fallen Master Beard & Hairstyle and Appearance Options: Loyal Adherent Hairstyles are only available to Human Male.

Edit: Let me be clear, the options were not available to preview in the Character Creator before buying those unlocks. After I bought them, additional options appeared in Character Creator. This is different than before 7.0 when the Character Creator allowed players to preview options that hadn't been unlocked yet. They removed it because it was kind of clunky. If a player saw something they wanted to unlock, they had to create another character, log into the game, and buy the unlock. Then go back and create the character they wanted using the unlock. They got rid of that in 7.0 with the new Character Creator.

Edited by ThanderSnB

45 minutes ago, Przemo_No said:

That ability was ALWAYS there. I could buy it for the same 80 CC, But I thought that buying the unlock will eliminate the necessity for paying for that hairstyle each time i wanna use it, in the appearance manager.  That is NOT the case, ergo - false advertisment. Gonna make a ticket, and see what the respnse will be.

Not so, you may of been able to argue this when the very first cosmetic changes came in game. Not so now as it is under common knowledge, you personally not knowing it, changes nothing. 

It does not claim anywhere in the write up, it works as you thought/claim. It says this hairstyle(s) are available on creation and across your account. Changing character in the edit/change terminal has always cost cc, as these characters are been altered not created. 

As for buying via the terminal a hairstyle you previously did not own? Not sure if it then unlocks across account, or just changes the present character. Not ever brought in this way myself, so as said not sure how it works in game. 

So not a false advertisement in any way.

However their are still items in cartel market that they should be called out on, such as the boost package bundle which still has social boosts in despite the social point system been removed. 

BTW as mentioned by ThanderSnB, the hairstyles are in creation custom page and towards the end of the hairstyle line, normally added brought customs are a different colour.  on mine its a light blue. the rest being grey

1 hour ago, Przemo_No said:

That ability was ALWAYS there.

If it was always there, why did you pay for the unlock?  Could you select it before you paid for the unlock?

And the answer to the second question is, "No."

22 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

If it was always there, why did you pay for the unlock?  Could you select it before you paid for the unlock?

And the answer to the second question is, "No."

Ok, let me explain: if I approach the character appearance modification station, I can select ANY hairstyle (that is assigned to certain species, ofc). In case of human male, I can see and preview ANY hair and beard style.  If i decide to change the hairstyle, I have to pay whatever the CC cost is. Therefore seeing that unlock in CM, I was misled by information that it applies to appearance station too. I basically thought that by buying that unlock I will have that particular hairstyle FREE of further charges in there, Because WHY otherwise buy it??? It costs 80 CC without the unlock and still another 80 CC with that unlock. So what gives? I am not interested in creating more characters, because I have full servers of alts and I am pretty much done with it. So i wanted to buy the hairstyle unlock in appearance station , as it was advertised. No more, no less.

12 hours ago, Przemo_No said:

I can select ANY hairstyle (that is assigned to certain species, ofc)

No you can't.  You can only select the ones you have unlocked using those CM unlocks, or the ones that are provided for free.

12 hours ago, Przemo_No said:

WHY otherwise buy it???

Because if you don't, the appearance station won't let you *use* it.  I think(1) you can preview it, but not use it.

13 hours ago, Przemo_No said:

So i wanted to buy the hairstyle unlock in appearance station , as it was advertised. No more, no less.

And you did, indeed, buy the unlock in appearance station.  It unlocked the ability to use the style in the station, as advertised.  No more, no less.

(1) It's been a while that I've had everything in the appearance station unlocked, so I don't want to sound 100% sure.

On 6/5/2024 at 12:41 AM, supertimtaf said:

You did not do anything wrong. Swtor is just considerably behind when it comes to allowing players to customize their characters for decent prices.
Wish that some devs would play XIV or ESO, where you either buy the cosmetic with real money and change it for free after, or unlock the cosmetic in game and change it for the in-game currency.

Yes it's terrible, even more when you realize that most of the hairstyles you buy aren't that great in quality. "Appearance Option : Shaggy" hairstyle still clips inside the head of your character at every movement you do. But yeah, the cartel market is home to "quality products" for sure ;)

Swtor actually lets you change some aspects of your character very cheaply compared to FFXIV!

When I wanted to change my eye color in FFXIV, it turned out that it would have costed me 10 euros, as I would have needed to buy a full makeover kit thingy from their website where they sell stuff for real money just to change my eye color, which I figured would not be worth the money and hassle.

I dont know if they have any changes to that since I last played FFXIV, but I remember how complicated and expensive changing eye color felt compared to how I do it in swtor fully in-game for like 20-30 cartel coins or something around that.

3 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

No you can't.  You can only select the ones you have unlocked using those CM unlocks, or the ones that are provided for free.

Because if you don't, the appearance station won't let you *use* it.  I think(1) you can preview it, but not use it.

And you did, indeed, buy the unlock in appearance station.  It unlocked the ability to use the style in the station, as advertised.  No more, no less.

(1) It's been a while that I've had everything in the appearance station unlocked, so I don't want to sound 100% sure.

Ok, Steve, I am lost. Are you trying to tell me that by buying that unlock, I have actually bought the POSSIBILITY to SEE the specific hairstyle in the appearance manager??

if so, this is ... just unbelieveable. It's just....What the heck????

4 minutes ago, Przemo_No said:

Ok, Steve, I am lost. Are you trying to tell me that by buying that unlock, I have actually bought the POSSIBILITY to SEE the specific hairstyle in the appearance manager??

if so, this is ... just unbelieveable. It's just....What the heck????

Go to the character appearance editor and see how the modification price changes depending on whether you have selected an already unlocked element or not.

It doesn't matter whether you bought these hairstyles in CM or not, because the total cost is the same.
If you bought a hairstyle from CM for 240* you still have to pay an editing fee of 120*.
If you didn't buy it in CM, you will pay 360* in the editor because you unlock it here.

*RANDOM PRICES AS I'M TOO LAZY TO CHECK AS EXAMPLE

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Przemo_No said:

That ability was ALWAYS there. I could buy it for the same 80 CC. But I thought that buying the unlock will eliminate the necessity for paying for that hairstyle each time i wanna use it, in the appearance manager.  That is NOT the case, ergo - false advertisment. Gonna make a ticket, and see what the respnse will be.

The devs hardly release new hairstyles, so it's been years, but from what I recall, it works this way. If you select a hairstyle that you don't own in the appearance changer, it will be marked up in CC value. This is because you'll being paying for the unlock, and paying for the change. Selecting the same hair/beard in the future should be cheaper because you're no longer paying for the unlock, just the change. If this isn't working for the new 7.5 beard/hair then I would indeed open ticket and a bug report.

Edited by Traceguy

2 hours ago, Kristallia said:

When I wanted to change my eye color in FFXIV, it turned out that it would have costed me 10 euros, as I would have needed to buy a full makeover kit thingy from their website where they sell stuff for real money just to change my eye color, which I figured would not be worth the money and hassle.

They're changing that in like a month so yay :') You can get up to three complete appearance changes per character. With only one of these being available for the collector edition of their first expansion and the rest being found in-game while playing. So... Idk, that's a good and a bad thing. Never had to use a reskin *three times* on a single character so far !

43 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

The devs hardly release new hairstyles, so it's been years, but from what I recall, it works this way. If you select a hairstyle that you don't own in the appearance changer, it will be marked up in CC value. This is because you'll being paying for the unlock, and paying for the change. Selecting the same hair/beard in the future should be cheaper because you're no longer paying for the unlock, just the change. If this isn't working for the new 7.5 beard/hair then I would indeed open ticket and a bug report.

Ooooh so that's how it worked. I was too afraid to try to pay to see if it was the unlock included or just "there it'll be more expensive cause you don't have it unlocked"

1 hour ago, supertimtaf said:

They're changing that in like a month so yay :') You can get up to three complete appearance changes per character. With only one of these being available for the collector edition of their first expansion and the rest being found in-game while playing. So... Idk, that's a good and a bad thing. Never had to use a reskin *three times* on a single character so far !

Ooh thats nice!

They probably do it because they reworked the graphics so much ☺️

Only way I can think of someone needing 3 changes is if they change character in some way and then play for hour or two and realize their new customization not looking how they planned in certain lighting for example, and wanting to readjust some things again.

Doing that without those free appearance changes would get very expensive, so I think its very nice that they are giving some free ones!

8 hours ago, Przemo_No said:

No.  I'm telling you that you bought the possibility to ***USE*** (rather than *see*) the hairstyle in the appearance kiosk.

56 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

No.  I'm telling you that you bought the possibility to ***USE*** (rather than *see*) the hairstyle in the appearance kiosk.

So, how does it correspond to the fact that I already HAD that possibility directly from the appearance kiosk? it was there, and it costs 80 CC. By BUYING the unlock, I wanted to get rid of that cost for multiple characters. it did not happen.

I know what you're saying.  It's been a thing since the start so I can't see it changing. But to have to pay real money if we just want to change hairstyles is annoying, especially if we want to test what works with that new hood.  Even Elder Scrolls Online does the same but there you have to pay a lot just to change your whole appearence.  Would be great if they made hairstyles changeable for in game money instead, like when you change clothing in ESO.  Talking about the hood, would be cool if they let us preview it in the appearence editor.