Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So no more voice acting for our characters?

14 minutes ago, Toraak said:

Don't get me wrong I like the voiced quests including characters, and don't bother reading dialogue in any MMO. With that being said, if it allows Broadsword to make more actual new content I'd have to at least consider the possibility that it may be good for the game.

If not enough new content is made, more people leave. 

we got the bare minimum and still lost most of the VA lol

• Like 2

If not enough new good story content is made, even more people leave.

This isn't going to help the game's longevity. Lots of people, myself included, play this game because of the story and voice acting. I. Want. The. PC. Fully. Voiced. In. Main. Story. Quests. Your character is the main character. These things make me feel like a sidekick or an NPC.

If this is what cost cutting does to this game... it worries me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DuchessKristania said:

It really makes it feel like we're Sah'ar's sidekick in this new stuff. Nothing like being Robin to an NPC's Batman, lol.

Yeah, this. Budget-driven narrative.

The PREMIUM (all-caps theirs, not mine) experience our subscriptions are supposed to provide is under attack.

$155.88, year over year, ought to be enough to be treated with respect.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toraak said:

Don't get me wrong I like the voiced quests including characters, and don't bother reading dialogue in any MMO. With that being said, if it allows Broadsword to make more actual new content I'd have to at least consider the possibility that it may be good for the game.

If not enough new content is made, more people leave. 

Bold of you to assume corporate will cut corner and make more contents.

BS makes less contents while cutting corners. They got bolder and dared to test water:

"if customers are ok with silent side quests, how about partially silent main quest?"

"If customers are ok with partially silent main quest, how about completely silent main quest?"

You think they put "but we'll make main quest story as engaging and meaty and diverse (as in enough flavors so that all types of player characters can feel immersive) as Baldur's Gate 3 (which does have silent player character)" in mind while testing the limit of our tolerance? No, they don't and it will only get worse if we don't say "NO" to it firmly and loudly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, miiinaa said:

If not enough new good story content is made, even more people leave.

This isn't going to help the game's longevity. Lots of people, myself included, play this game because of the story and voice acting. I. Want. The. PC. Fully. Voiced. In. Main. Story. Quests. Your character is the main character. These things make me feel like a sidekick or an NPC.

If this is what cost cutting does to this game... it worries me.

Longevity is def the keyword here. They are in such an impossible situation really. Fully voice acted story content is what huge portion of people here want.  Clearly it is just too costly or difficult  to produce; amount of new story content this game has gotten since KOTET is so modest it is quite terrifying really. All story content comes with pretty modest amount of longevity by  its very nature. If you get 20 minutes of new story content, it turns into old  story content in 20 minutes.  Small wonder no other MMO has ever done fully voice acted PC. 

In SWTOR; every single  scene consisting of PlayerChar  and a single  NPC takes voice acting from 51 different people. 51 different people to act  what amounts to discussion between two characters in-game.  Single scene of two characters talking amounts to total of 48 different takes where 51 people read through more or less identical lines of dialogue in three different languages.  That is incredibly  inefficient in every possible sense of the word.

...And yet, huge portion of people playing SWTOR are here for just that and demand they get more of it. So BS  are very much stuck doing their utmost to keep providing. Its just that " huge portion of people playing swtor" is clearly nowhere nearly large enough amount of people to sustain necessary amount of  $$$$$$$ flows from EA.

Biggest niche SWTOR has going for itself is extremely costly and inefficient to produce from devs'  pov and comes with a pretty modest amount of longevity from players' pov.  That makes such a perfect nightmare of an intersection really!

Amount of resources voice acting budget  has vacuumed from all other  imaginable aspects of SWTOR  development is beyond my imagination rly.

Edited by Stradlin
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/29/2024 at 12:02 PM, denajii said:

The entire new questline isnt voiced at all? Nothing?

It's about 80% unvoiced. There's no valid reason for it. I think Broadsword is recording lines before they have finished writing.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Traceguy said:

It's about 80% unvoiced. There's no valid reason for it. I think Broadsword is recording lines before they have finished writing.

What? .. 80%?! I don't believe it. Are you sure what you saying? On old wounds it was 50 or 60% and on Kessan's Landing we had even less.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Trlance said:

What? .. 80%?! I don't believe it. Are you sure what you saying? On old wounds it was 50 or 60% and on Kessan's Landing we had even less.

Maybe you misread my post and thought I said 80% was voiced. Let me say it again.

80% KOTOR style

That means 20% of the 7.5 story was voiced.

Edited by Traceguy

6 minutes ago, Trlance said:

Yep, and in this update, even less voiced character scenes.  And in this update, really important scenes with major recurring NPCs are unvoiced, your character just gets to nod and smile and face mug through a couple big scenes connected to main Heta storyline.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe you misread my post and thought I said 80% was voiced. Let me say it again.

80% KOTOR style

That means 20% of the 7.5 story was voiced.

If this is true then this is a joke what they doing with main story now. Soon it will be 100%.

Question is if you added to this: 80%, Lane Vizla's and spring event's kotor style cutscenes too. If yes then i can say Chains in the dark have 80% too .. I only asked about main story, not whole update.

Edited by Trlance

Posted (edited)

Question is if you added to this: 80%, Lane Vizla's and spring event's kotor style cutscenes too. If yes then i can say Chains in the dark have 80% too .. I only asked about main story, not whole update.

I was referring directly to the main story. I wasn't counting Lane or Spring Festival. Doing so shrinks the voiced lines in the update to maybe <5%

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was referring directly to the main story. I wasn't counting Lane or Spring Festival.

I have no more questions ^^ My hands are down now with no hope to this game. Looks like with every major update things getting "better" and "better". This is so pathetic, devs even don't care respond here.

I must consider my subribtion then. Maybe i will pay less often now. There is no point to support game at 100% when game getting worse. Imagine to now i'm subcriber all time for almost 8-9 years without a breaks ..

~ Tsukito, Alliance Commander

Edited by Trlance

16 hours ago, miiinaa said:

Your character is the main character. 

Hate to say this, but our characters haven't been the main characters in quite some time.  The Empera and Malgus are the mains, the signature voiced NPCs are the protagonists and antagonists, and we're just the muscle.  Out decisions haven't mattered in quite some time, even when we're told that they would be.  This episode is the closest we've got to making a difference in the story, but I have very little hope in it mattering, when it's Shae, the Twilek twins, and Malgus that are really making the show, and we're just along for the ride.

• Sad 1

I just look at the games age and the fact that it has moved over to Broadsword and I'm not surprised...but all is not lost, there is a rumor of a new Star Wars MMO in development

It was a good run guys look at all the fun we had, now we have something new to look forward to.

I'm still going to play and hang out until the new game launches

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

All this happening is players fault too. All players should united stop subscribe this game and play for few months completely to show what we truly think about new updates. Only this way will something change.

When every year boss of Swtor see how all pay for game without question and game have decent number of players to play then he make stupid idea like this to make new story with kotor style cutscenes because he know players will pay for it anyway and he will get no less money anyway.

How convice everyone to rebellion, i don't know.

Edited by Trlance
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Trlance said:

All this happening is players fault too. All players should united stop subscribe this game for few months completely to show what we truly think about new updates. Only this way will something change.

When every year boss of Swtor see how all pay for game without question and game have decent number of players to play then he make stupid idea like this to make new story with kotor style cutscenes because he know players will pay for it anyway and he will get no less money anyway.

How convice everyone to rebellion, i don't know.

If everyone unsubscribed they would shut the game down and walk away. The companies who own the game would see the loss, fire the person in charge and put the resources into something else.  That is how that scenario would play out.

Edited by DuchessKristania
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DuchessKristania said:

If everyone unsubscribed they would shut the game down and walk away. The companies who own the game would see the loss, fire the person in charge and put the resources into something else.  That is how that scenario would play out.

Maybe i overreacted saying for months. Let's say for few days. A simple strike. I would join to something like this without question even with risk to closing game for good.

Edited by Trlance

4 minutes ago, Trlance said:

Maybe i overreacted saying for months. Let's say for few days. A simple strike. I would join to something like this without question even with risk to closing game for good.

I would not, and I doubt many others would either. This is my favorite game, taking action that would result in seeing it shut down for good is not a viable option. Saying what you want, relentlessly pursuing it and not stopping DOES have an impact. When the Rishi stronghold came out I and others did not back down in wanting an improvement, the devs listened and a house-like structure was added. We have to keep the topic of voiced player characters alive and active. Keep saying it's not good enough, keep raising the complaints again and again. The only way to be heard is to keep talking.

• Like 1

I was part of a in-game protest in another most-popular mmo back in the day, and it didn't go so well.  Bans were handed down and not much changed.  There's also the side that there are enough fanbois that you could never organize a full scale out of game strike.  Also figure how would you get the world out to the casuals that don't come on the forms, don't go on discord, and don't listen to general chats?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lady_Myajha said:

I was part of a in-game protest in another most-popular mmo back in the day, and it didn't go so well.  Bans were handed down and not much changed.  There's also the side that there are enough fanbois that you could never organize a full scale out of game strike.  Also figure how would you get the world out to the casuals that don't come on the forms, don't go on discord, and don't listen to general chats?

It's just not a viable option. There's no realistic way to do something like that, and as you said in the other game "it didn't go well." I do get it though, and I can completely understand the desire to take action. Even being here in the forums and keeping these topics alive is action though, and action with a better chance of getting the desired result.

32 minutes ago, DuchessKristania said:

I would not, and I doubt many others would either. This is my favorite game, taking action that would result in seeing it shut down for good is not a viable option. Saying what you want, relentlessly pursuing it and not stopping DOES have an impact. When the Rishi stronghold came out I and others did not back down in wanting an improvement, the devs listened and a house-like structure was added. We have to keep the topic of voiced player characters alive and active. Keep saying it's not good enough, keep raising the complaints again and again. The only way to be heard is to keep talking.

This very much this, I love the game and don't want it gone and wouldn't want to risk it. We are just disappointed from the passion of love we have for it and we understand again the limitations of the game, we just wish to have at least a conversation about it with the team more than anything like we do on feedback on other topics. And yeah just keeping a good constructive discussion and chats about it helps.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This what happening now is little disrespectful to my character Tsukito who can't talk on all cutscenes and doing this Mandolorians arc for years already with no end. That why i said i would risk closing game to organize such strike. Tsukito done enough and eventually her beautiful journey should already ended.

Now they only milking this game with whatever updates where we have only tiny progress compared to what happened on Kotfe or Kotet for example on single chapters. One single chapter of Kotfe or Kotet have more action and story than 2 latest story updates (!).

I think story of Tsukito should ended after Echoes of Oblivion where Malgus should be defeated for good on Corellia and after Emperor defeat, story end with happy ending.

Edited by Trlance

So, we all know that when you become part of the Star Wars Universe, they own the likeness and sound of the Characters. So why don't the DEV's just use one of the many AI voice Generators to make new voice work?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, akdonkey said:

So, we all know that when you become part of the Star Wars Universe, they own the likeness and sound of the Characters. So why don't the DEV's just use one of the many AI voice Generators to make new voice work?

No not this again please it's not a solution!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.