Game Update 7.5 "Desperate Defiance" coming May 29th!

I don't have any male characters so I can't really talk about their voices or if the new replacement is any good but I do know that if any of my ladies got replaced and I only found out while playing the new story I would be pissed.
So for those that have a main male imperial agent you have my sympathy.

I haven't seen any SWTOR videos with the new voice yet, but hearing Wilf Scolding's demo reels, I think he has what it takes. I see he played Vanis Tigo in Andor, so he already has some experience playing the part of a loyal servant to the Empire 🙃.

15 hours ago, Medullah said:

PLEASE stop making limited time event armor pieces bind on pickup.

I concur. The "bind on pickup" is gut wrenching to us altoholics. If they're not going to be in collections, at least make them legacy bound so we can find room for them in the the legacy storage. The event only happens in spring. I can't just earn these pieces for alts off season if they continue to stay bind on pickup.

Posted (edited)

To be honest, I've always felt the male agent sounded really nasally and wasn't crazy about his voice on the one male agent I have. Still, I can entirely understand how difficult it would be to suddenly have your main's voice changed without any warning. If the female agents voice was changed I'd be devastated, she's my main and has my favorite voice in the entire game.

I understand that the devs can't force a VA to stay if they want to move on, or if conflicts arise, but warning should have been given so players were prepared at least. There would still be unhappiness, but at least they would have felt more respected.

Edited by DuchessKristania
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DuchessKristania said:

To be honest, I've always felt the male agent sounded really nasally and wasn't crazy about his voice on the one male agent I have. Still, I can entirely understand how difficult it would be to suddenly have your main's voice changed without any warning. I understand that the devs can't force a VA to stay if they want to move on, or if conflicts arise, but warning should have been given so players were prepared at least. There would still be unhappiness, but at least they would have felt more respected.

was going to simply put a thanks reaction but it still says I'm out of reactions for today so I will respond instead to say: thank you.  the lack of respect shown to players who would be shocked by this change totally makes the change that much worse.

(and also, if they changed fem agent's voice I would be equally upset, she has one of my very favorite voices in the game as well.  I love it so much.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cannibithobbal said:

was going to simply put a thanks reaction but it still says I'm out of reactions for today so I will respond instead to say: thank you.  the lack of respect shown to players who would be shocked by this change totally makes the change that much worse.

(and also, if they changed fem agent's voice I would be equally upset, she has one of my very favorite voices in the game as well.  I love it so much.)

You're welcome. I can't claim to have a personal stake in the male agent's voice, but to not announce the change prior to the update was incredibly poor judgement and bad form. They can't go back in time and change how this was handled, but I hope if main characters are recast in the future (and the reality is that recasts happen) the development team will learn from this and handle it better next time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cannibithobbal said:

if they changed fem agent's voice I would be equally upset, she has one of my very favorite voices in the game as well

I agree. She's my favorite Female-VA for Empire. I'm hoping this was just a case where the VA for the Agent just got tired of reading a few lines per year, so he decided not to renew a contract.

23 hours ago, miiinaa said:

I happen to agree with this as well. Carvel has been voice acting male agent for 10+ years. Not only did Broadsword completely blindside everyone until it was noticed, they didn't even bother to mention Carvel leaving or acknowledge that at all. It is very disrespectful.

His voice was almost the entire reason why I got so invested in my agent. He was amazing, sad to see him leave. Scolding has some big shoes to fill.

My first character was an agent and, like this poster, it was Bertie Carvel's voice that got me hooked - within minutes of starting to play. Carvel's voice was perfectly suited to how I imagined him. I'm very sad that he's gone, but I get that sometimes actors want to move on. However, I'm even more saddened by the fact that Broadsword don't seem to have expressed any public thanks to him for his years of service. As various people have now said, it seems very disrespectful to someone who contributed so much.

It would be wonderful if he could see all these posts and see how much the players appreciate him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DuchessKristania said:

To be honest, I've always felt the male agent sounded really nasally and wasn't crazy about his voice on the one male agent I have. Still, I can entirely understand how difficult it would be to suddenly have your main's voice changed without any warning. If the female agents voice was changed I'd be devastated, she's my main and has my favorite voice in the entire game.

I understand that the devs can't force a VA to stay if they want to move on, or if conflicts arise, but warning should have been given so players were prepared at least. There would still be unhappiness, but at least they would have felt more respected.

I wish to learn more english words to describe the male agent's voice XD

He has such a special voice I was hooked fast (like that quote from the republic guy says to the agent from nathema: once you sink your hook into your victim, they are yours)

• Like 2

There is at least one change in 7.5 that had me confused.  I even made a bug report topic about it before deleting.  Conversation dialog is no longer in the chat box (Other tab) by default, and neither are subtitles in general.  You have to turn it on in the options "Display subtitles for conversations".  I never turned this off myself.

Posted (edited)

The new Hutta area is useless by not making it a daily area. We can go back there after the story, and there's nothing to do there but defeat enemies. And there's a conquest objective to complete missions there, despite the fact that people can only achieve it during the story .

There's not even a WB that I know of. The devs did well with Kessan's Landing, but dropped the ball here

Edited by Traceguy

2 hours ago, Traceguy said:

The new Hutta area is useless by not making it a daily area. We go go back there after the story, and there's nothing to do there but defeat enemies. And there's a conquest objective to complete missions there, despite the fact that people can only achieve it during the story .

There's not even a WB that I know of. The devs did well with Kessan's Landing, but dropped the ball here

wait, there is not even a daily area??

I won't lie, haven't even been able to finish the story due to a bug halting my progress, so I haven't gone to look, I just assumed it was a daily area like the last two updates.

So we had to run that totally uninteresting, tangential, unvoiced (other than one admittedly cool action scene) planetary story to pad the run time of the update and it wasn't even a daily area??????  That makes the huge unvoiced section of the update even more egregiously stupid imho.  Like FFS, they could have used the money from that one voiced action scene on the planet to pay to make the republic/imperial council meeting and first Sa'har scenes voiced instead omg.

23 minutes ago, cannibithobbal said:

wait, there is not even a daily area??

Sadly no. They even gave us a heads up in the live stream that there wasn't going to be a daily area. The ironic thing is a lot of the story on Hutta involves you doing daily-esk missions for random NPCs. Why they didn't make some of them repeatable is beyond me. It seems like wasted potential. They upgrade the Hutta aesthetics, release a planet location to go with it, and then offer no value to the area outside of the story.

I wasn't too happy about it, but having the conquest objective for doing missions there is just adding insult to injury.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 11:06 AM, DuchessKristania said:

IIRC he's not the first character in SWTOR to get a new VA

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.