Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Game Update 7.5 "Desperate Defiance" coming May 29th!

• Dev Post

Hello everyone! 

Mark your calendars! We will be bringing down servers on May 29th to deploy Game Update 7.5. 

• Time: 7am CT
  • Estimated downtime: 4 hours

A full list of patch notes will be available on Tuesday, May 28th, here

I will be locking this thread to keep all updates relevant to 7.5 in one spot. 

Thanks! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

• Dev Post

Good morning everyone!

We will be taking down servers in approximately 15 minutes to deploy Game Update 7.5 "Desperate Defiance". Reminder that the estimated down time is 4 hours. 

Thanks! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

• Dev Post

Hello everyone!

Servers are now back online! There's quite a bit in this update, so please read through all the 7.5 related articles before you jump into the new content!

Thanks all! 

• Thanks 3

• Dev Post

Hello there!

Just popping in with an update related to future story content in SWTOR, as well as some exciting news!

Star Wars™ : The Old Republic has a remarkable legacy of narrative content, and we couldn't do it without the army of talented designers and performers that bring the narrative to life, from concept to script to screen. Our regular cast of voice actors, many that started recording in 2008, have been an integral part of SWTOR's storytelling, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

I'm happy to announce that beginning in update 7.5, Wilf Scolding will be stepping into the role of the male Imperial Agent. Wilf is excited to be part of SWTOR's story, and we're very happy to have him join our incredible roster of player voices. We're looking forward to his role in The Old Republic's legacy for many years to come!

See you soon in Update 7.5! May the Force be with you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, AshleyRuhl said:

Hello there!

Just popping in with an update related to future story content in SWTOR, as well as some exciting news!

Star Wars™ : The Old Republic has a remarkable legacy of narrative content, and we couldn't do it without the army of talented designers and performers that bring the narrative to life, from concept to script to screen. Our regular cast of voice actors, many that started recording in 2008, have been an integral part of SWTOR's storytelling, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

I'm happy to announce that beginning in update 7.5, Wilf Scolding will be stepping into the role of the male Imperial Agent. Wilf is excited to be part of SWTOR's story, and we're very happy to have him join our incredible roster of player voices. We're looking forward to his role in The Old Republic's legacy for many years to come!

I won't be able to judge how he sounds until I can hear him in game.... But, I have to ask.... Why the use of KotOR style cutscenes in the middle of story content? It's been like this since 7.3, and it's really concerning, that there hasn't been a reason given. The KotOR style cutscenes were only used for side stuff, and the main story was fully voiced. Is it a cost thing, a result of the strikes? Or a new decision going forward? And can that decision be reversed??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

While the KOTOR style stuff is fine for side story these days...I'd honestly be okay paying for expansions again if it meant bringing back full voice acting and giving the dev team more resources.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, AshleyRuhl said:

Hello there!

Surely it would have been nicer to give the community a say on this? I can only speak for myself, But Bertie Carvel is far better as a VA for the role. Very disappointed in this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SithWraithRage said:

Surely it would have been nicer to give the community a say on this? I can only speak for myself, But Bertie Carvel is far better as a VA for the role. Very disappointed in this.

I doubt it was simply "Broadsword fired him because money/voice bad/etc."

It's likely that after all this time, Carvel simply isn't interested in continuing the role and has other projects prioritized.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, NicoleMay said:

I doubt it was simply "Broadsword fired him because money/voice bad/etc."

It's likely that after all this time, Carvel simply isn't interested in continuing the role and has other projects prioritized.

Yes all valid reasons, All I would say is it'd have been nice to have been told about it sooner so maybe the community could have given suggestions on who they would like to see take up the role.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Male agent had one of my favorite voices in the entire game, and now he sounds NOTHING ALIKE.  Whatever the reasons, I am incredibly sad and will definitely not be playing any more of one of my main characters, because without the same voice he isn't even the same character to me now. 

No offense to the new guy, but like, could they not have at least gotten someone who could try to imitate the voice of the agent instead of sounding so completely different??

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Nice to inform it after a Reddit post questioning the VA before this was asked.

The voice sounds tinny and at first I thought it was an AI. So far I am not impressed with the new VA (even though a complete lack of lines given constantly on updates). 

I’ll likely have to find a new main character which is disappointing and I wish we were given the reason why Bertie Carvel was not used considering he was used on the last update. 

For the future these changes should be announced before the update so at least players are made aware not when someone jumped on the game and had to ask what happened. 

Communicate with the fan base more.

Edited by LegateSteph
  • Like 6

What happened to Bertie Carvel?  His voice work on the agent was pure class. Odd to welcome a new replacement in without paying tribute to someone who has given over ten years service to the game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, hillerbees said:

What happened to Bertie Carvel?  His voice work on the agent was pure class. Odd to welcome a new replacement in without paying tribute to someone who has given over ten years service to the game.

I mean I didn't even clock that but literally, not even so much as a "Bertie Carvel played the role amazingly for over a decade and we'll miss having him but here's the new guy we got" just a "BTW new male agent"?  Bit questionable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, cannibithobbal said:

I mean I didn't even clock that but literally, not even so much as a "Bertie Carvel played the role amazingly for over a decade and we'll miss having him but here's the new guy we got" just a "BTW new male agent"?  Bit questionable.

Feels like they made the announcement only because people noticed it tbh 😕

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, cannibithobbal said:

Precisely my point. Very disrespectful I would have thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I happen to agree with this as well. Carvel has been voice acting male agent for 10+ years. Not only did Broadsword completely blindside everyone until it was noticed, they didn't even bother to mention Carvel leaving or acknowledge that at all. It is very disrespectful.

His voice was almost the entire reason why I got so invested in my agent. He was amazing, sad to see him leave. Scolding has some big shoes to fill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, miiinaa said:

His voice was almost the entire reason why I got so invested in my agent. He was amazing, sad to see him leave

Agreed, he was one of my favorites in the entire game.  My first male agent instantly became my main imperial character (and my second most main in the whole game) pretty much as soon as I started playing him, because I love his voice and his delivery and just everything.  As of now, I have 8 male agents because I love his voice so much, and like I said one of those is one my mainest mains.  Now he will not even feel like the same character in any new updates, so I don't even want to play him on anything new.  Absolutely gutted.

I am sure the new guy is doing his best and is a perfectly fine voice actor, but he is not the same, he is not male agent, not for me.  If they'd at least gotten an impersonator to do a sound-alike voice, I would still be sad but at least could have gotten used to it... as is, it's like agent is suddenly a completely different character. 

At least THANK GOD as far as I have been able to check, they have not retroactively changed any past male agent content, or his "combat voice" (giggling, being hurt noises, etc) or any of the talking emotes.  If they changed any of that I would actually cry.  And rage.  Definitely rage.  But mostly cry.

42 minutes ago, miiinaa said:

I happen to agree with this as well. Carvel has been voice acting male agent for 10+ years. Not only did Broadsword completely blindside everyone until it was noticed, they didn't even bother to mention Carvel leaving or acknowledge that at all. It is very disrespectful

58 minutes ago, hillerbees said:

Precisely my point. Very disrespectful I would have thought.

Hard agree, not acknowleding Carvel at all in this announcement, bit sus and mega disrespectful.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

OK I actually like the new voice! He sounds more at peace and less paranoid, which at this point in the tale he should be. That said, it's time for some explanations. While I'm not too cranky about the KOTOR style parts, (not enough to make me yell about them) I do want to know why their so JANKY! When, where and how you decide to use them makes no sense! We have Voices running around but not in cutscenes for the main story! No, you need to reconsider where they belong. I don't mind it for mini-quests, but if I want to Sass the Dark Council or the Republic High Command I wanna hear me do it!

Edited by JakRoanin
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, cannibithobbal said:

Agreed, he was one of my favorites in the entire game.  My first male agent instantly became my main imperial character (and my second most main in the whole game) pretty much as soon as I started playing him, because I love his voice and his delivery and just everything.  As of now, I have 8 male agents because I love his voice so much, and like I said one of those is one my mainest mains.  Now he will not even feel like the same character in any new updates, so I don't even want to play him on anything new.  Absolutely gutted.

I am sure the new guy is doing his best and is a perfectly fine voice actor, but he is not the same, he is not male agent, not for me.  If they'd at least gotten an impersonator to do a sound-alike voice, I would still be sad but at least could have gotten used to it... as is, it's like agent is suddenly a completely different character. 

At least THANK GOD as far as I have been able to check, they have not retroactively changed any past male agent content, or his "combat voice" (giggling, being hurt noises, etc) or any of the talking emotes.  If they changed any of that I would actually cry.  And rage.  Definitely rage.  But mostly cry.

Hard agree, not acknowleding Carvel at all in this announcement, bit sus and mega disrespectful.

Probably because Bertie Carvel participated in a march for something that I cannot and will not go into on the forums.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaharbagh said:

Probably because Bertie Carvel participated in a march for something that I cannot and will not go into on the forums.

Having absolutely no idea what you are referring to (and yes, please, keep it off the forums), I will say that even if he was literally arrested for a crime or something (which, pretty sure not the case because we would have heard about something that extreme), he would deserve at least as much as a short "he did well in the role for us for a long time but unfortunately we had to replace him for reasons" rather than not even so much as a mention of him at all and only mentioning the new guy. 

As is not only have they given 0 indication as to why they replaced him at all, but they didn't even acknowledge his work for over a decade on the game in any way in their announcement of the change, and they kind of seemed to only announce it after people noticed as if they hoped no one would notice despite casting someone who sounds completely different and didn't even attempt to imitate his original voice.... so yeah, regardless of the reason for the recast, it feels incredibly disrespectful to the voice actor and also the many fans of his work in the role in this game that they just recast him without a word and announced it so uneventfully after the fact.  Like, they announced it like it's some really no big deal thing.  But based on the reactions here, it's kind of a big deal to many people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I really like the idea of the new event but for the love of all that's holy PLEASE stop making limited time event armor pieces bind on pickup.  I did all the weeklies I could for the new event and basically had enough tokens for one piece of armor.  That tells me if I want both sets complete it'll take roughly 16 weeklies to get it done (obviously can go back and do the dailies still), and that's per character.  I understand the grind is part of it, but there are awesome decorations you can get once you unlock the armor.  

Please...Bind to Legacy, or collections at a minimum.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.