Star Wars Outlaws

1 hour ago, TonyTricicolo said:

Releasing 8/30/24

Here's a better more robust (comprehensive) LINK  for those interested--> https://www.starwars.com/games-apps/star-wars-outlaws

The game looks OK  i suppose , but i mean it's just another clone ( pun intended ) of every other "action/rpg"  using the same  Unreal-4  game-engine,   accompanied by of course the same money-grabbing  "Season Pa$$"  type bonus "$ubscription"  traps for players.

But hey, at least it'll  be a nice break away from SWTOR  doldrums. :cool:

Edited by Nee-Elder
  • Like 1

Opinion:

Graphics(snowdrop engine) looks good.

Planets look decent enough.

Story seems very cliche.

I don't like the "me against the world, my only chance to get out" theme they keep pushing.

I personally would rather play a male protagonist 

13 minutes ago, TonyTricicolo said:

Graphics(snowdrop engine) looks good.

hmm,  i thought  Ubisoft is using the same type of game-engine as in their recent 'Ghost Recon:Breakpoint' game, which is also i believe the same  Unreal-4  game-engine  as  like  'Elden Ring'  and  'SW: Jedi Survivor'  and  such, no?

13 minutes ago, TonyTricicolo said:

I personally would rather play a male protagonist 

Yeah  it's weird how both  the  SW: Jedi Survivor/Fallen Order  series  and now this  Outlaws game  aren't allowing players to  CUSTOMIZE  their own  gender & style & such , before  starting the game journey.

Nothing wrong with a "female"  protagonist  of course , since i'm guessing  females  would prefer  a female customized version of  'Kal Kestis' , like  i dunno a  'Kali Kestis'  version or whatever.   But maybe the  game Coders didn't want to bother with extra contrasting  female/male ( or whatever modern gender people identify as )  body variations & animations within games nowadays.    /shrug

Edited by Nee-Elder

40 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

hmm,  i thought  Ubisoft is using the same type of game-engine as in their recent 'Ghost Recon:Breakpoint' game, which is also i believe the same  Unreal-4  game-engine  as  like  'Elden Ring'  and  'SW: Jedi Survivor'  and  such, no?

Nah, it's Snowdrop https://gamerant.com/star-wars-outlaws-snowdrop-engine-history-graphics-features-explained/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TonyTricicolo said:

ahhh ok,  well  it certainly  resembles  a similar  type & design ( as Unreal-4 coded engine)

i'll  have to research the origins & inspirations of  this 'Snowdrop'  version  now yep.....

Edited by Nee-Elder

Posted (edited)

Okay this is ridiculous!

$69.99 STANDARD edition (Base game, Kessel Runner bonus)

$109 GOLD edition (Base game, Kessel Runner bonus, 3day early access, seasons pass)

$129 ULTIMATE edition (Base game, Kessel Runner bonus, 3day early access, seasons pass, Rogue Infiltrator, Sabacc Shark bundles, digital art book)

$17 UBISOFT+ subscription (Base game, Kessel Runner bonus, 3day early access, seasons pass, Rogue Infiltrator, Sabacc Shark bundles, digital art book plus 100's of games)

Talking about trying to milk your consumer! This is why people hate modern day gaming companies.

" I see you baby, wiggling ya ti**s at me."   Offer the steak and know most will go for the cow.    Ubisoft thinks they are slick. Set prices high for the whales but the bulk of people will do the subscription.  I applaud the shrewdness!

Edited by TonyTricicolo
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I do wish the game was being sold on Steam. It's not too big of a problem though. I already have Ubisoft's launcher installed as it's where I have my collection of Far Cry, Watchdogs, and Tom Clancy games. Ubisoft's anticheat software likes to cause BSODs. At least it did a few years ago, and kept requiring a reinstall to fix. I haven't played Ubisoft since Far Cry 6, so I don't know if they've gotten better or worse.

I do not like Jedi Fallen Order or Jedi Survivor. I'm really hoping this won't be another Star Wars game to put on my dislike list. I do have high hopes though with it being Ubisoft. I quite enjoy Splinter Cell, Far Cry, and for the most part, Watchdogs. I'm thinking Outlaws has potential to be something like Ghost Recon, but Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Traceguy said:

. Ubisoft's anticheat software likes to cause BSODs.

How so?

1 hour ago, Traceguy said:

I'm thinking Outlaws has potential to be something like Ghost Recon, but Star Wars.

Not sure why you think that ?

Because i haven't seen ANY info ( officially ) that mentions anything remotely similar to  Ghost Recon type complex  TEAM (  ai teammates SQUAD control )  dynamics;  other than  her  one "pet" companion or whatever.

Which reminds me:  As mentioned earlier in this thread, how do you feel about the whole being locked into "female" protagonist  thing? ( re: no options to customize character )  -- Do you think it's just sorta like an "equal" substitution purposely trying to make up for all the mostly "male" protagonists in SW games over the years? ( like  Jedi Survivor/Fallen Order , for example )

Or do you think it's just much ado about nothing?  ( as in, the "gender" is inconsequential and  shouldn't  affect  immersion if the story & gameplay  are enjoyable )

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: hot topic prolly too hot

2 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

How so?

Question for Ubisoft devs. I don't why why it does, it plagued my computer for several months until I narrowed it down with the help of people on the internet. It did come back a couple times after resolving. Reinstalling it is what helps. I've built a new PC since, and have also bought a new laptop. It's likely I'll not see that old issue anymore, at least I hope not.

Not sure why you think that ?

Because i haven't seen ANY info ( officially ) that mentions anything remotely similar to  Ghost Recon type complex  TEAM

Maybe it's just the way I played it. I was usually lone wolf, traveling the open landscape, infiltrating enemies bases, 3rd person. I haven't played it in maybe 4 years, so maybe I don't remember it fully. I'm just trying to imagine what it would be like knowing Ubisoft. Watchdogs was more city based, like an off-brand GTA. Splinter Cell is linear. Far Cry is FPS, and it's own thing. I haven't played Assassin's Creed since Black Flag, but I think it's closer to Jedi Fallen Order.

how do you feel about the whole being locked into "female" protagonist  thing?

Playing as a female protagonist is absolutely not a problem for me. Besides, a majority of games lock you into being a male protagonist. If the problem is more related to not having both, and having the choice given to the player, it's a little more tricky. They absolutely could have made it so that the story is gender-neutral, and let players pick. Starting with Far Cry 5 for example, Ubisoft let you choose. The big problem is the game exists within Star Wars canon, so the character has to be written into such. Which reminds me, even the campaign for Battlefront II had you play as Iden Versio, a female. If the game having a female character was suppose to make a statement, such as trying to make up for male protagonist games, that's more than likely a decision forced upon us and Ubisoft by Kathleen Kennedy and her minions.

Or do you think it's just much ado about nothing?  ( as in, the "gender" is inconsequential and  shouldn't  affect  immersion if the story & gameplay  are enjoyable )

A lot of times it is inconsequential. I would bet so in this game too. Other times, a story might be written around a specific person. It ties into what I said about Star Wars canon. If it was more like a MMO, where you are a nameless character that exist in the universe, and you carve your own path, it would make no difference. I don't think it will be any less enjoyable. Though it might get a bit cringy if they force in the typical  "you can't do this, you're a girl" "I'm just as good as the boys if not better" yadda yadda nonsense.

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

If the problem is more related to not having both, and having the choice given to the player, it's a little more tricky.

Yeah  to me that's my only real "problem"  ( gaming wise ) ,  since i personally  love  character customization &  OPTIONS.

43 minutes ago, Traceguy said:

They absolutely could have made it so that the story is gender-neutral, and let players pick. 

The big problem is the game exists within Star Wars canon, so the character has to be written into such.

Bingo ^  yep that's probably the issue from a code/Dev perspective.

Plus,  nowadays even if they did offer  male/female  option, then some 3rd/4th  group might get upset.  So i guess they figure  just pick ONE and stick with it story-wise, focus-wise, etc.

Still though , it seems like many other games are offering  way more diverse customization options and imo  tha's a good thing.

Curiuos to see  SW:Outlaws  pans out either way. :sy_title:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One thing that kinda irks me is that they keep labeling it as the first "OPEN WORLD" and that insults me as a lover of SWG but I get it's all marketing hype so ya know whatever. What I do know is that it's an Ubisoft game and they all pretty much follow the same approach, which is a world full of poor narrative, lousy dialog, a map full of icons, a MTX store to buy resources/advancements/vanity item/cosmetics, and a time gated seasonal reward track.  That said, It's made by Massive which did the Division 1&2 and they are both good(particularly Div2) so my interest is somewhat piqued.  

What we still haven't seen is real gameplay yet and that will make or break the game. If it has a consistent engaging loop is yet to be seen.  The trailer showed Kay Vess using cover. Now is this sticky cover like the Division or soft cover like Wildlands/Breakpoint? It also showed KV sending her companion out to perform a task. Is that a feature, like deploying a drone, that can be done by the player's choice or only situational when in cover?  Is this a cover to cover slowed paced stealth game?  Being that it is by Massive, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some recognizable Division features adopted into this game.  

I've said in another thread that it looks like a straight up rip off of SW Jedi. Ubisoft is trying to bank off the success. That's pretty plain to see, well at least to me it is. It's literally Female Han Solo meets Cal Kestis and BD-1.  

For the the game to be good it needs to be succinct and nothing like AC: Valhalla. No one wants a million hour slog fest of base conquering. F that!

My prediction is that it will launch just like Ghost Recon: Breakpoint-half finished and full of bugs.  Ubisoft will rake in all the initial money. People will complain how the game sucks. Ubisoft will take two years to slowly fix the game. By year 3 it will finally be a decent enough game to play and it will be on discount for half the price. By then Ubisoft will officially announce they will stop working on the game to move on to a sequel.   

Edited by TonyTricicolo
Punctuation, usage, spelling, and grammar.

3 hours ago, TonyTricicolo said:

One thing that kinda irks me is that they keep labeling it as the first "OPEN WORLD" and that insults me a lover of SWG

Agreed  yep.   It's pretty pathetic tbqh , how  they try to insult our awareness of gaming history ( not to mention insulting our intelligence ) .

No company , not even BioWare back in tha day,  wants to acknowledge they pale in comparison to SWG's innovation & genius.

If only  SOE hadn't allowed that weasel from LucasArts ( i can't name him for legal reasons, but it rhymes with Fooleeoh Borez ) to blatantly ruin SWG with that awful garbage 'NGE' system ( they should've just kept the CU but added the content/quests )  perhaps we'd still be enjoying & thriving today  united into one grand server. ( instead of 3295748943 differing emulators ) .

There will never be another Raph Koster , nor another SWG.   And sadly, imo , after SWTOR is finally put out of its' deteriorating mis$ery,  i'd be shocked if  any  SW based MMO is ever gonna made again. :(

3 hours ago, TonyTricicolo said:

What we haven't seen is real gameplay yet [ from SW: Outlaws ] and that will make or break the game.

I've said in another thread that it looks like a straight up rip off of SW [Fallen] Jedi.

It's literally Female Han Solo meets Cal Kestis and BD-1. 

Bingo ^ .

Once again:  i'm only curious  because it's  STAR WARS  of course.  But my expectations are very very low.

I'm wayyyyy more interested in  SW: Eclipse ....! :sy_star:

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: hyperlink for SW: Eclipse game
  • Like 1

I was going to make rant like:

You're making the first ever "OPEN WORLD" Star wars game and you're not allowing the player to customize their character? Huh, what?!  Whose brilliant idea is that? 

Then I thought about all the mods created for SW Jedi: Fallen Order and Survivor and calmed myself down. If the game ends up being good there is a very good chance a modder will create an outfit manager and a voice replacer. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Outlaws comes at a time of controversy for Ubisoft

many of the dislikes on the outlaws trailer can come from the following headlines

• Ubisoft says gamers should get used to not owning games anymore and just paying subscriptions.
  • shut down of the crew 1 and revoking the licenses to the game

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/the-new-ubisoft-and-getting-gamers-comfortable-with-not-owning-their-games

The new Ubisoft+ and getting gamers comfortable with not owning their games

"One of the things we saw is that gamers are used to, a little bit like DVD, having and owning their games. That's the consumer shift that needs to happen. They got comfortable not owning their CD collection or DVD collection. That's a transformation that's been a bit slower to happen [in games]. As gamers grow comfortable in that aspect… you don't lose your progress. If you resume your game at another time, your progress file is still there. That's not been deleted. You don't lose what you've built in the game or your engagement with the game. So it's about feeling comfortable with not owning your game.

The Crew 1 license revoked 

The game's servers were shut down but Ubisoft went one step further and prevented future downloads of the game

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/racing/ubisoft-is-stripping-peoples-licences-for-the-crew-weeks-after-its-shutdown-nearly-squandering-hopes-of-private-servers-and-acting-as-a-stark-reminder-of-how-volatile-digital-ownership-is/

Now it's one thing to just delist a game and still allow owners to download and boot it up if they want—even if the game is technically dead—but it's another thing to revoke the licence to the files entirely. It came very close to putting a dent in plans to bring fan servers to the game, but one project appears to still be chugging along.

- - - - - - - - - -  --  - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - -- - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - -- - 

On 4/10/2024 at 6:36 AM, TonyTricicolo said:

Okay this is ridiculous!

$69.99 STANDARD edition (Base game, Kessel Runner bonus)

$109 GOLD edition (Base game, Kessel Runner bonus, 3day early access, seasons pass)

$129 ULTIMATE edition (Base game, Kessel Runner bonus, 3day early access, seasons pass, Rogue Infiltrator, Sabacc Shark bundles, digital art book)

$17 UBISOFT+ subscription (Base game, Kessel Runner bonus, 3day early access, seasons pass, Rogue Infiltrator, Sabacc Shark bundles, digital art book plus 100's of games)

8 months of Ubisoft+ pays for the Ultimate edition

I'll be real honest, I'm in no rush to play it, but I'm almost certain I'm going to take the the ubisoft+ route and then hope all the controversy, negative press, and consumer sentiment towards outlaws makes it a bargain bin trash heap offering for a deep discount on the ultimate edition down the road. I'll own it one day, but how low will it go depends on time and perception. AKA I hope it burns in a flaming fire. Just won't play outlaws at launch, because they'll use engagement of ubisoft+ as a measure of success, can't have that. Massive Entertainment using the snowdrop engine meant The Division 2 in space, how did the company muck that up, it should have been real easy.

But I'm also fully prepared to never play this title and add it to the list of EAfront DICE games that I never played either

I say never played it, because I own an edition to EAFront 2 on steam image.png.912d428491865722c8669db8b46b2b23.png

The comment section for the Outlaws trailer is a treasure trove of player sentiment. Looking through it makes you happy to protest against this title
Star Wars Outlaws: Official Story Trailer ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcdKEy-aJ6o )

image.png.89c7cf2ea5d85787fd835b1e0c9d86a4.pngimage.png.ea12843aa8a8ade548ce29412d3d36f8.pngimage.png.a40bb20770ba049ec255ac510268d23b.png

Edited by Falensawino
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't know what to make of this game. I don't mind that the protagonist is female but she's very cutesy and I'd have prefered a hard edged character if she is making her way through the underworld...feels like its trying to latch onto fans who like Rey but they've set it in an era where old duffers like me reside and I'm not sure if shoehorning it into that era is a good idea as its a bit saturated and maybe that is going to restrict the missions into bland non cannon busting non entities....about as exciting as indoor fireworks.

I don't know if I am going to be stealthing around like Splinter Cell or playing a 3rd person shooter.  Definately going to let the dust settle on this one and for the reviews from actual players come in before I part with any cash. 

I'll watch this space with interest.

1 hour ago, TonyTricicolo said:

Yeah, I'm not head over heels excited for it but I will give a play when it comes out.

Same and tbqh  i don't know  ANYONE  who is really "excited" for this game.

Not even females.  And yes, there's actually almost as many girl-gamers as guys nowadays.   But , so far at least, i haven't  seen/read/heard  much excitement for  'Outlaws'  on any chat boards or socialmedia  influencers or whatever.  ( if someone has any relevant links to share proving otherwise, by all means go for it )

'Elden Ring' DLC  has way more legit anticipation, as far as that genre goes.

Guess we'll see $oon enough though.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Do we have information about the replayability or the RPG elements?

Do we gain "levels"? Can we collect resources, unlock weapons, or buy them?

Do enemies respawn, in one word can we go to a previous location and find "things to do" there? (collecting things, gaining xp, ...)

Can the game be played beyond the main story arc? And is there a point of doing so?

(may be too early to answer such questions, because so far all I have grabbed out are only combat gameplay videos) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Draksen said:

Do we have information about the replayability or the RPG elements?

You can choose to go stealthy or loud but the outcome is linear. There may be rewards or repercussions based on which approach you take though.

Do we gain "levels"? Can we collect resources, unlock weapons, or buy them?

I don't know about levels but there is a currency in the game which you use to upgrade your blaster or buy cosmetics.

Do enemies respawn, in one word can we go to a previous location and find "things to do" there? (collecting things, gaining xp, ...)

Being that's it is a Ubisoft game, I pretty sure there will be lots of things to collect or achieve.

Can the game be played beyond the main story arc? And is there a point of doing so?

Well, there is the special Jabba mission that's not part of the main campaign.

Edited by TonyTricicolo
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Another video explaining customization and game length:

https://youtu.be/S_mg4DxNZHo?si=1OiefC9Pxs5XW1zh

Basically, there will be a transmog system. Esthetically, you can mix and match tops and bottoms. You can also change KV's hairstyle.  

The main campaign is around 20-30 hours with side content equally another 30 or so hours.  Roughly, 50 hours to get everything.

Game wise:

You can draw comparisons to Cal Kestis and BD-1 but Nix, KV's Companion, has way more engagement in the game.

Also to note, you are not OP like Cal. Therefore, fighting is a much slower pace.

Combat is like a mix between The Division's cover system and Battlefront 2 crouching stealth.

Adventuring is like the Uncharted series of games.

Space is also similar to Battlefront 2 as well.

Edited by TonyTricicolo