PVP Confusion.

Dynamiter

Good evening everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice and information regarding PVP. 

So I’ve recently started to play PVP, even though I am purely a PVE player. I have been to all planets on Republic and Imperial just to Duel.

All my characters are DPS because I can’t Tank or Heal for the life of me and it doesn’t matter what class or story I play I am always pure DPS.

Anyway, in regards to my question, how is it possible if your gear is between 324 and 340 that when you engage in a PVP battle with players who have gear between 230 and 270, they can still beat you even though your gear is higher?

My gear is purely all versatile armor mods hilts barrels etc with two proficient enhancements, two critical enhancements, and three alacrity enhancements. Is there certain mods, armouring or enhancements I need to replace to make my gear more PVP, or do I purely have to play war zones over and over just to get the tokens to get the PVP gear?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It’s alright being a pure PVE player, however when or if I decide to join a guild they will need a player who is not just purely PVE they will need an all round individual.

Thank you very much for your help and I’m sorry this is long winded.

Kind Regards 

Dynamiter

If you're pure DPS, do you have any defensive stats on your gear? 

Anything above 332 is scaled down to create an even playing field. Even though there's no specific PVP gear anymore, playstyles and gear requirements are different for PVP.  You also need to look at other things like is the player you're attacking being guarded by a tank. That's something I do in almost every match as I play as a tank are they being healed? If you're not working as a team, then that may be your issue because PVP is not a solo game unless it's one-on-one. Good luck! 

53 minutes ago, Dynamiter said:

Anyway, in regards to my question, how is it possible if your gear is between 324 and 340 that when you engage in a PVP battle with players who have gear between 230 and 270, they can still beat you even though your gear is higher?

There could be any number of reasons outside of just gear why those players are beating you. If you're completely geared up through PvE with augments on everything, that should honestly be fine. The big difference with gearing from PvE to PvP is that DPS no longer need 110% accuracy in PvP, and tanks tend to run DPS gear instead of tank gear. Here are a few other things to consider that might help though.

Are you cycling your defensives properly? Generally you start with ones that are on shorter cooldowns before ones that are on longer cooldowns, but there can be exceptions (you also don't want to stack them up in general). Knowing what your defensives do against other classes' damage also helps you pick the right one to use at any given moment.

Are you positioning well with kiting/line of sight? Depending on what you're playing and what you're fighting against, you can really help your own survivability by doing these things so that your opponent can't just PvE parse on you.

Are you hitting your big damage into their defensives? This one takes a bit to learn when you're just starting to get into PvP since you need to know the kits of every class and how to handle them. For example, hitting single target damage into a Mercenary using Responsive Safeguards will heal them up and reflect your damage back at you. Because of this, you also won't get a ton of PvE parses on your opponents since you'll have to be target swapping in many scenarios unless you can kill someone through defensives or cleave off of them to hit other opponents.

Are you using your interrupts well? Interrupting certain casts on classes can really mess with their damage or healing.  

Hope some of this helps out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dynamiter said:

Good evening everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice and information regarding PVP. 

So I’ve recently started to play PVP, even though I am purely a PVE player. I have been to all planets on Republic and Imperial just to Duel.

All my characters are DPS because I can’t Tank or Heal for the life of me and it doesn’t matter what class or story I play I am always pure DPS.

My gear is purely all versatile armor mods hilts barrels etc with two proficient enhancements, two critical enhancements, and three alacrity enhancements. Is there certain mods, armouring or enhancements I need to replace to make my gear more PVP, or do I purely have to play war zones over and over just to get the tokens to get the PVP gear?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It’s alright being a pure PVE player, however when or if I decide to join a guild they will need a player who is not just purely PVE they will need an all round individual.

Thank you very much for your help and I’m sorry this is long winded.

Kind Regards 

Dynamiter

No-one is asking the obvious questions, so I will: have you learned a proper rotation of your abilities or are you just smashing random buttons? Do you have a correct tactical and set bonus? If the opponent with lower gear has them and you don't, they win. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DeannaVoyager said:

No-one is asking the obvious questions, so I will: have you learned a proper rotation of your abilities or are you just smashing random buttons? Do you have a correct tactical and set bonus? If the opponent with lower gear has them and you don't, they win. 

As a button smasher i glare at this question. Let me explain; because most of you consider me picking what skill to use as to directly counter what someone else is doing "button smashing". Also i find rotations to be boring as poo doo most of the time and i tend to do pretty decently still.

There is no "right or wrong way" to play either just saying. It's a game, play to have fun and get that sweet sweet dopamine fix

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, YaddleTwo said:

As a button smasher i glare at this question. Let me explain; because most of you consider me picking what skill to use as to directly counter what someone else is doing "button smashing". Also i find rotations to be boring as poo doo most of the time and i tend to do pretty decently still.

There is no "right or wrong way" to play either just saying. It's a game, play to have fun and get that sweet sweet dopamine fix

cool usually get 7 of you on my team ..freaking fantastic losing constantly due to this idiocy..Im assuming you like dueling in the weeds as the enemy caps the objective?

Edited by Alericus
  • Haha 2

Well you're both right and wrong at the same time. You are right about picking certain skills to counter certain attacks, and I don't call that button smashing. For reference: I call hitting random abilities in whatever order they originally appeared into quickbar "button smashing". There are plenty of players who do exactly that and they aren't very effective neither in pve nor pvp. 

However... to make the most out of your combat, you should really learn a rotation too to get the best ouf of a class. There are abilities that proc other abilities which then hit harder, and if you are not doing the abilities in correct order you are losing a lot of dps. 

Your original question was how can lower geared people beat you in pvp, that's how: the other guy is doing more dps more efficiently which makes your HP reach zero first.

• Thanks 2

Yeah, you probably won't be able to go through a full PvE rotation in PvP, but you absolutely will play better if you have some kind of order or priority system in which you use your abilities. There are definitely some occasions where you'd use a skill outside of your main "rotation" to play around what someone is doing, but I don't think anyone would consider that button smashing. 

The game just plays different in PvP than it does in PvE, a button smasher (literally random skills) will get more dps if they pick the correct targets, targets which for example have no FT defensives when on a sorcerer. When targets die or vanish or whatever just continuing the PvE rotation is just terrible, the gamemode is way to fast to get a rotation of - just press the buttons - there is no reason to overthink it.

• Haha 1

To the OP ...If you have some 340 gear and someone with sub 300 rating beats ya in warzones there are a few differing factors that go into it...

While duels on planets like tython/korriban are decent for understanding the basics but the way the stats scale on the planet can be a bit misleading for when ya get into 80 warzones

You gota factor in your set up do you have the proper tactical on for your discipline... some of them even if they are the correct tactical for a discipline the tacticals just outright suck and thats why you have alot of people on the same classes running the same tactical also.... is your set up optimized for your class you also gota factor in what other people are running....

Not to mention if your in a warzone trying to get a 1v1 with someone make sure they dont have a pocket healer or tank on them

Then you got the stationary kolto packs that are laying around the map ...the damage boosts then you have people who like to hug pillars and weave attacks around corners especially if their ranged specs 

reality is if your new to pvp even if your geared and you go against someone who may have low gear rating but still knows the map their class's strengths/weaknesses where all the kolto packs and damage boosts are and they can get to them while LoSing you they may very well beat you in a 1v1

Now if you lost to a low geared skank tank whos got some 290 rating but knows what their doing in the open with no kolto packs no one else around that one is more understandable some specs are just too much of a pain to deal with 1v1...

And it would really depend alot on what your current class and set up is you might be running something that worked ok in duels on planets but struggles warzone matches 

PvP *imo* is about farming whether its farming medals/objectives for the season/wins for tech frags or farming damage/kills with a premade..... everyone is reaching for the lowest hanging fruit when it comes to what specs their playing highest possible reward with low risks 

I love to fight people 1v1 especially at a objective if their defending and i can get it from them i feel like i earned it ...If im defending and i do a call out that i may need assistance at the node im defending ...yet no one comes and the person im fighting beats me and takes said objective ....welp they earned it..

When it comes to PvP if you wana improve whether its at warzones arenas or duels sometimes you just gota be willing to get your ass beat alot find out what you did wrong hell if ya get the chance ask the person that beat ya to give ya some pointers in most cases iv found personally when i lost if i spark up a conversation with the person that beat me theyl let me know if i mashed a dcd to early they may be running a perk or trait that i didnt understand and triggered their reflect/heal..

Or they may be on a class setup that plays against mine decently and if their on the same class/discipline as me they quite possibly just might be better

I personally struggle against jugs/guards ops/scoundrels ......  Im rolling on an arsenal merc atm not using kolto surge perk I instead am running tag and bag with electro net so i can stack the vortex burns from my primed ignition tactical faster as a result my ability to last longer healing wise on a merc is lessened ...that and im running a berseker implant so i take more damage from literally everything 

So iv got one of those deadman walking builds I might nuke other mercs who are relying on all their dcds to stay alive while im running *before relic procs* 18.7k mastery 4200 crit 1600 accuracy then tag n bag with super charged gas fills in that gap for alactrity but it comes at a cost i know when im in execute range my kolto overload only going to 35% with half the healing effectiveness isnt likely going to keep me alive vs something with pressure 

So in a way i optimized my build to play the way i want but i understand when my stims are on CD same as my reactive shield heal i used my reflect and the person im fighting didnt trigger its effect ...So unless i got a healer thats gona run across the map to save my ass im going to get spanked as i refuse to run away lol

Gear makes a difference but at the same time so does understanding the classes what your class is capable of and what the class your fighting is capable of being able to spot those perks/traits that not everyone runs as it may catch ya off guard..

And imo best way to understand the classes is to make one of every class get infront of the skill menu on every class discipline and its mirror versions and start reading looking at the passive perks the perk choices tacticals all of it and if your able play around with all of them for a bit 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 2:56 AM, TrixxieTriss said:

The best place to learn to PvP is on lowbies & mids

I have been begging people to lowbie pvp in this game for so long, wish folks would realize you actually get really good perks especially when leveling too! And then by the time you hit 80 you have all the things for the gear.

On 3/2/2024 at 1:03 PM, DeannaVoyager said:

Well you're both right and wrong at the same time. You are right about picking certain skills to counter certain attacks, and I don't call that button smashing. For reference: I call hitting random abilities in whatever order they originally appeared into quickbar "button smashing". There are plenty of players who do exactly that and they aren't very effective neither in pve nor pvp. 

Oh no i have my own rotation and skills i cycle through but i've been I've yelled at in years past, one in particular, someone who i used to roll in pvp in another game, (yeah it doesn't make sense lol), because i didn't have my skills set in stone and hotkeyed so i've just always associated "button smashing" with how i play. They were pretty much "you can't do that you should be doing... (x,y,z)" (funnier if you read in the Nute Gunray's voice) lol

On 3/2/2024 at 1:05 PM, dftu said:

Yeah, you probably won't be able to go through a full PvE rotation in PvP, but you absolutely will play better if you have some kind of order or priority system in which you use your abilities. There are definitely some occasions where you'd use a skill outside of your main "rotation" to play around what someone is doing, but I don't think anyone would consider that button smashing. 

Good to know! :)

On 3/2/2024 at 12:08 PM, Alericus said:

cool usually get 7 of you on my team ..freaking fantastic losing constantly due to this idiocy..Im assuming you like dueling in the weeds as the enemy caps the objective?

Sorry i missed your comment the first time around, and the answer is no, i'm usually the one yelling at people to get their behinds to the middle to defend the ball instead of making out/dueling behind the blocks in huttball for instance. I don't like dueling at least tbh .

Edited by YaddleTwo