Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

My character doesn't talk so I walk!

__andrea__

7 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Actor Availability, not funds. I repeat, there was a massive strike for months and it obviously started in the middle of recording for Kessian. 

The part thats odd there is why some recorded lines and some not? Like why wouldn't they just record all the lines in one hit while the actors already there to do it? Bioware used to write/record the actual story months in advance. They did it in chunks of story at a time if you get what I mean.

Edited by Suzsi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because again it doesn't work like you imagine it does. Other than live theater entertainment isn't recorded beginning to end. For Example, in BBC's Pride and Prejudice 1995. The first proposal secene between Elizabeth and Darcy at Hunsford was the first scene ever shot. That is in the 4th episode.

What happens is this...

VA gets the part of the script set up for a certain day. They either Zoom with the writing team or go to an in-person meeting. Then there is the director (yeah video game VA's have them) then they either go to the studio, (preferred) or home and do as many takes as it gets to make the bosses happy. Then they get another piece, etc, etc, etc, EDITING puts it together.

15 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Because again it doesn't work like you imagine it does. Other than live theater entertainment isn't recorded beginning to end. For Example, in BBC's Pride and Prejudice 1995. The first proposal secene between Elizabeth and Darcy at Hunsford was the first scene ever shot. That is in the 4th episode.

What happens is this...

VA gets the part of the script set up for a certain day. They either Zoom with the writing team or go to an in-person meeting. Then there is the director (yeah video game VA's have them) then they either go to the studio, (preferred) or home and do as many takes as it gets to make the bosses happy. Then they get another piece, etc, etc, etc, EDITING puts it together.

Yeah usually 4hr sessions max (for voice resting purposes). None of these chapters have anything like 4hrs worth of lines per person though, so seems a bit weird it chops in and out in one chapter.

15 hours ago, JakRoanin said:

Then there is the director (yeah video game VA's have them)

And they do a really poor job sometimes. In video games, a lot of the time, especially in SWTOR. characters will often pronounce names incorrectly for people, places, and other important things. The only thing worse than having the word pronounced incorrectly though is when 2 characters are speaking face to face about said word. 1 is saying it correctly, the other continues to say it completely wrong. I feel the director should be responsible for ensuring proper names are said correctly.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:10 PM, Traceguy said:

I found it unacceptable on Voss honestly. It was a punch in the face. Since 1 side is speaking alien gibberish, and the other side is not speaking at all. I actually had zero interest or connection in the conversations. I skipped through it on all playthroughs. I still have no idea what the Voss story is all about.

didn't miss much honestly, entire voss storys conclusion is that voss council basically tells you: "yeah you're gonna have an epic battle with malgus some day, bye."

8 hours ago, BulbulusTheGreat said:

didn't miss much honestly, entire voss storys conclusion is that voss council basically tells you: "yeah you're gonna have an epic battle with malgus some day, bye."

YEAH...that sucked too! The voice acting is basically the proverbial last straw. The lack of content and the long drawn out and boring Mandalorian plot and game just being boring and tedious is what the problem has been since 7.0 was launched.  The Voss story was pretty awful and boring. I'm going to play through 7.4 and see if it improves and then cancel my sub until 7.5.

6 hours ago, JakRoanin said:

I LOVED VOSS! Yes, the lack of resolution with the three, did sting but it was great. I'm sorry, but while I do want my PC's to speak it wasn't so bad. You have to understand some of us Like Mandalorians!

My friend, what is Broadsword paying you 😅

• Like 1

People can have preferences for any reason, and don't need to explain them. If having voice-acted cutscenes is one of the things that you came to the game for, then having them go away is unacceptable. And that's fine. If it isn't a big deal to you, then it isn't., and that's fine too. It's not about accepting anything that's real. Broadsword needs to accept the reality that missing certain features will mean many customers lose interest. And if customers express displeasure and criticize the game, then other fans need to accept that that's inevitable too; it's not just a case of angry emotional reaction. And even if that is all that it is, it still represents customers going away.

For me, the more unacceptable things in the new content are 1) the class stories with your original class characters, especially the better girlfriend options, were by far the best part. The generic stories meant to apply to anyone simply aren't very compelling, 2) the story seems to be confused and directionless. I can't tell where its going or what its getting at anymore, 3) your character isn't even the main character anymore; each new section seems to have the devs unlikeable NPCs at the center of the story and we're just tagging along as spectators.

That said, I just took about a year off of my subscription, and then came back because I still have a lot of characters that I've created that still have the original story to play through. Everyone's got to decide on their own how to interact with the content available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why should they pay me? I don't even work for them. I'm just a disabled gamer. I'm sorry but the NPC Villains voices on Manaan their VA were TERRIBLE. Manaan was fully voice acted and it was the worst update this game had. The Voss have always been my favorite and they were voice acted beautifully. Yes I want to hear MY PC, but I'll take not hearing them over the mess of voice acting that was Manaan.

17 hours ago, JakRoanin said:

I LOVED VOSS! Yes, the lack of resolution with the three, did sting but it was great. I'm sorry, but while I do want my PC's to speak it wasn't so bad. You have to understand some of us Like Mandalorians!

Different strokes...I thought Voss was boring and tedious. I hate "busy work." I do like Mandalorians but this has gone on waaaay too long and it's getting old being an errand boy/girl for the Mandalorians. 

4 hours ago, joshuadyal said:

People can have preferences for any reason, and don't need to explain them. If having voice-acted cutscenes is one of the things that you came to the game for, then having them go away is unacceptable. And that's fine. If it isn't a big deal to you, then it isn't., and that's fine too. It's not about accepting anything that's real. Broadsword needs to accept the reality that missing certain features will mean many customers lose interest. And if customers express displeasure and criticize the game, then other fans need to accept that that's inevitable too; it's not just a case of angry emotional reaction. And even if that is all that it is, it still represents customers going away.

For me, the more unacceptable things in the new content are 1) the class stories with your original class characters, especially the better girlfriend options, were by far the best part. The generic stories meant to apply to anyone simply aren't very compelling, 2) the story seems to be confused and directionless. I can't tell where its going or what its getting at anymore, 3) your character isn't even the main character anymore; each new section seems to have the devs unlikeable NPCs at the center of the story and we're just tagging along as spectators.

That said, I just took about a year off of my subscription, and then came back because I still have a lot of characters that I've created that still have the original story to play through. Everyone's got to decide on their own how to interact with the content available.

Nailed it! You totally explained how I'm feeling as well. Thank you. :)

13 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Ugh. The Imp side had a horrible Apophis type boss. And Pub side was worse. Colonel Gallo was okay, but you accomplish nothing Pub Side. At least you got to make a real difference on Voss.  

I am sorry, but is this for real? Voss is as worthless as Manaan as a story part. NOTHING was accomplished going there...absolutely nothing. The plot wasnt forwarded in any way, its just some empty vague dialogue by the new Three. Not even a little detail or explanation. The story of the daily area...oh my god...the PC being the most powerful in the galaxy....is suddenly a cantina cleaner and a waiter...a courier for some consumables between gormak and voss, going on a cave tour....and dealing with some czerka nobodies....this isnt even worthy of a side mission in the Vanilla Game....side missions there on random planets get more story and feels more accomplishing.

• Sad 1

I enjoyed the opportunity to rebuild and focus on everyday people in the Galaxy. My PC's care about the little guy. 

Manaan didn't really need us, they didn't want us, and didn't even supply us with Kolto!

Edited by JakRoanin
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.