Snowballs

Sumugi

3 hours ago, casirabit said:

Sometimes, I just want to laugh at some people.  Just because someone comes in a forum and suggests an idea, so they do not have to deal with snowballs, some people get bent out of shape.  As I have said, they don't bother me, mostly as I do not go to the fleet that much, so not a big deal to me, but I can also see that something could be done to allow those that do not like the snowballs, to have something like a vaccine, that we use for the Rak ghoul event, but no some people throw their fit because someone suggested something.  How does that affect your gameplay?  It doesn't.   Geez people they do not have to like it and you do know the more you tell people not to play the game, the more players you are losing, and half of you have a fit about not finding people to group with.   

Do you think it would be a wise investment for developers to create a way for players to toggle off every aspect of SWTOR they don't like? Would this include snowflakes, a visual effect for an event that only lasts 4 weeks out of the year, an event that tends to draw the most people to SWTOR year round?

If the developers want to spend time creating a toggle disabling every event, toy, mount, emote, outfit, weapon sound, etc that people are "harassed" by I'm fine with that, but I don't think doing so will increase the player population or generate more revenue than new content everyone can enjoy.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Everyone bothered by the snowballs re-joys - you only have to to tolerate it for less than 36 hours. After that "A Special ❄️" (yes, that's the actual title of the mission in case someone didn't notice) is going to melt until next Life Day event. As a result, the chances of you getting hit with a snowball will go drastically down. Not because players won't be able to do it - they'll still be able to - but the incentive will no longer be there, so most will move on to other activities (so much for "harassment" accusations).

The mission was very useful for completing conquest objectives when one needed those last few thousand points to hit the 100K. Just had a non-crafting toon today who was at 95K - run around, got 10 parcels (i.e. completed "Life Day: Snowball Fight Eternal" twice), and hit 100K in a few minutes.

Happy Life Day everyone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

Do you think it would be a wise investment for developers to create a way for players to toggle off every aspect of SWTOR they don't like?

If the developers want to spend time creating a toggle disabling every event

Tha heck are you even babbling about now still  off-topic  "slippery slope"  exagerrations :ph_lol:

oh and FYI:  If you knew anything about Coding , you'd realize  their  "investment" would take about 2 minutes & 1 line of condition code.

Don't you worry  about it though, cuz  BioSword won't be changing anything and your snoball safespace  shall remain! :hope_07:

1 hour ago, VegaMist said:

Everyone bothered by the snowballs re-joys - you only have to to tolerate it for less than 36 hours.

Phew, cuz i was just about to un-sub! :rolleyes:

After that "A Special ❄️" (yes, that's the actual title of the mission  Achievement  in case someone didn't notice)

i noticed 10 years ago and it's just sooooo funny & ironic  by those silly clever BioWare devs  i haven't stop laughing.

p.s.  The real irony?   i'm 100% on all Life Day cheevos ( except the last box of 'Wookiee Hug' )  and totally capped on 'parcels'  this year too. :D

1 minute ago, Nee-Elder said:

If you knew anything about Coding , you'd realize  their  "investment" would take about 2 minutes & 1 line of condition code.

Come on my friend, you've been here a lot longer than I have, you know very well that Biosword doesn't work that way. 

24 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

After that "A Special ❄️" (yes, that's the actual title of the mission  Achievement  in case someone didn't notice)

i noticed 10 years ago and it's just sooooo funny & ironic  by those silly clever BioWare devs  i haven't stop laughing.

Borrowed the image from Vulkk (it no longer gives Light/Dark Side or Renown points though):

A-Special-Reward.webp

Edited by VegaMist

6 minutes ago, Whykara said:

Come on my friend, you've been here a lot longer than I have, you know very well that Biosword doesn't work that way. 

ok fine ...  Might take 5  minutes & 2 lines of code. :mon_trap:

1 minute ago, VegaMist said:

Borrowed the image from Vulkk:

Yeah obviously i'm aware of that pop-up ( re: parcels maxed )  .  Unfortunately , i meant the  Legacy TITLE  ( under Achievements-->Events )  , but i bet you were just salivating  snoballs  at the thought of  "gotcha Nee!!!!"  :ph_win:

22 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

Yeah obviously i'm aware of that pop-up ( re: parcels maxed )  .  Unfortunately , i meant the  Legacy TITLE  ( under Achievements-->Events )  , but i bet you were just salivating  snoballs  at the thought of  "gotcha Nee!!!!"  :ph_win:

Nah. It's just, I was talking about the mission. You are correct though, there is a Legacy Title by the same name as well. 🫠

Edited by VegaMist

6 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

ok fine ...  Might take 5  minutes & 2 lines of code. :mon_trap:

Once they decide they actually want to release a vaccine against snowballs (after multiple focus groups) they would have to

1. have an audit of the snowball system and all other event opt-out options
  2. once that is done they need a concept of how to realize a "vaccine": over to the concept team
  3. after the concept is finished, multiple teams get to work on designing and coding the vaccine, some outsource partners are also contacted
  4. after the multiple teams have turned in their work, Broadsword has to go through all the assets and make changes
  5. once it's finished, they have to send in their work to Lucasarts for a licensing review
  6. Lucasarts gives their go, and now Broadsword can implement it
  7. unfortunately, the snowball vaccine causes a mysterious bug with the French localization on Quesh, making the planet unplayable
  8. the update gets reverted
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let me comment on some of the "problems" others are claiming to have and give you suggestions for each; in the spirit of the "solutions" that have been suggested to those wanting a "Snowball Vaccine".

Problem: Large Mounts Blocking Vendors

Solution: Wait until they move or use another vendor.   It's a multiplayer game, which means you'll find other PLAYERS.

Problem: Player Toys

Solution: Stay off of fleet and other high traffic areas.   Again, it's a multiplayer game..

Problem: Rakghoul Plague causing loss of character control.

Solution:  Remove all crowd control skills from players and npcs, as those cause the same issue.   In addition, the vaccine should be removed as there's achievements from infecting other players.

Problem: Doulbe XP causing character to level too fast.

Solution: None needed as Level sync makes your actual character level irrelevant.   Recommend removal of White Acute module.

• Haha 1

This has to be one of the supidest threads ever - most of the posts are irrelevant, condescending or idiotic - frequently all three.

Summary:
Some people find the snowball event irritating.
There is a proposed solution (client side filtering) which will make the people who don't like the effects happy and be invisible to everyone else.

The only reasonable argument I can see against this solution is that the devs have better things to do with their time.  If someone can tell me how this solution would disbenefit the snowball slingers I would be very interested to understand.

• Like 3

If Life Day event happened to be a fun event at all, I guess people would not be so annoyed by this snowballing thing.

Summary:
Some people find the snowball event irritating.
There is a proposed solution (client side filtering) which will make the people who don't like the effects happy and be invisible to everyone else.

I would prefer this. It is fast and seems relatively easy to do.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

In an effort to bring down thread  temperature ( pun intended ;))  , here is a legit video of the ORIGINAL *Life Day* --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hH8rxarVG8

Enjoy! :csw_snowspeeder:

LOL. Thank you for this. And in the spirit of this thread, YouTube recommended the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqZkhC9qz_Q - Looper's video complaining about the above special. 😉

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.