Hard/Nightmare Ancient Pylons Bug

It can absolutely be incorrect just because you finished the encounter doesn't mean that you purposely figured out the mechanic. There are a ton of guilds looking for the solution that have solved the puzzle but don't understand what they did.

There are 2 mechanics to this fight. Same time has nothing to do with it.

Surely could say the same thing about whatever method you use?

If every time we do it, it works, and every time you do it works - which is right and which is wrong? :D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The encounter resetting is a bug, yes... but that has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanic of the fight... man I hate repeating myself.

Locking the south pylon first every time on NMM will not work.

@BeBen(whatever) Thanks for the insight into your personal opinion.

Originally Posted by Bloodymoon

We finally solved it today on Nightmare. We went with locking the last piece in the north first, then 2x locking the last piece in south and finally again locking the last piece in the north.

Worked in the first try.

There you go someone figured it out. It works South, North, North, South also. Its important to wait for the raid message to confirm the puzzle has been solved and then say "waiting for..." You can sometimes get away with solving them closely together but if there is any latency difference between the people clicking it can screw you up.

The encounter resetting is a bug, yes... but that has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanic of the fight... man I hate repeating myself.

Locking the south pylon first every time on NMM will not work.

@BeBen(whatever) Thanks for the insight into your personal opinion.

There you go someone figured it out. It works South, North, North, South also. Its important to wait for the raid message to confirm the puzzle has been solved and then say "waiting for..." You can sometimes get away with solving them closely together but if there is any latency difference between the people clicking it can screw you up.

This guy is full of ****. Let south lock first on each row and it works. If you lock north first and it doesn't bug out consider yourself lucky.

Assuming this is not bugged, then southx4 is also a viable solution to the puzzle, though to be fair it's so convoluted as to not really be called a puzzle at all.

I am actually going to be hoping for a bug on this one, because the alternative is such bad game design that having it be bugged is actually better :sul_smile:

Assuming this is not bugged, then southx4 is also a viable solution to the puzzle, though to be fair it's so convoluted as to not really be called a puzzle at all.

I am actually going to be hoping for a bug on this one, because the alternative is such bad game design that having it be bugged is actually better :sul_smile:

We tried south x4 and north console locked on the 4th row. We were solving in fewest number of turns as well.

We then tried south x3 and north for the last row and it worked.

This was 8 man HM for what it's worth.

That is most interesting to hear.

So it would then appear that southx4 is not entirely consistent.

Either that or the encounter can randomly crap out at the last wheel given that we had it lock up like that on normal mode aswell.

On the try prior to our hardmode success we had the southern pylon stop functioning after the north pylon completed the 4th wheel, which is then the opposite of your experience :)

What we can conclude so far for sure is that there are bugs in this encounter that may or may not be limited to having to do a hard reset.

Whether intended or simply functioning as workaround, there have been consistent successes using several different pylon orders.

So far we've seen S N N S, N S S N, S S S S, and S S S N.

N N and N S N appear to be combinations that consistently cause the encounter to lock up.

Whether all of these are supposed to work or not is none of my concern.

The important part is that they DO seem to work, although atleast some without 100% consistency (I cannot vouch for the first 2, since we solved it with Sx4 and did not try either of those)

Claiming, however, that either of these WILL NOT work and functions only due to luck would appear to be in error.

It is also possible that a solution that works on hardmode might not work on nightmare, but that is unclear at the moment.

My recommendation would therefore be to try either of the aforementioned working combinations in order to solve the encounter without issue (starting with the first two, as these seem to be the most consistent).

Ah well. Troubleshooting/puzzlesolving seems to be mostly done now either way, so I guess we can put the matter behind us now

edit: Experimenting with different solutions and the like might have been an enjoyable experience if the encounter worked properly, but as it stands, I'd rather not have anybody go through the hassle, and just hope that if they release another puzzle type encounter that one will atleast work properly

Edited by Zalter

My recommendation would be to realize that it's just bugged like everything else.

The people trying to state that they've "FIGURED OUT THE MECHANIC IT'S INTENDED" etc are pathetic players who need to feel special about something.

Edited by CHRISGG

Yup, the encounter probably has severla bugs. This is undeniable

Now whether you want to call working strategies solutions or workarounds is up to you.

However it is quite apparent that some orders of solving the wheels of the pylons will cause the encounter to lock up without exception, forcing a hard reset, while others seem to have a very high rate of success.

Be wary of magical thinking and trolling as Annihilator bug is not a "well thought out mechanic" but in fact a legitimate rng bug. It's entirely possible there is a pattern to the pylon encounter though currently if it is there then it is sandwiched between multiple bugs.

On topic: @ Artacks of OPW - Disappearing lightning balls is not a "nightmare mode mechanic" for SOA but a visual projected texture bug.

Edited by Cepheid

can people with the bug please say exactly what you are doing for the pylons, my guild would simply hit one direction as soon as the thing lit up to be clicked, this has worked 3 times in a row. we also split our raid into 2 groups, i assume everyone is doing this.

can people with the bug please say exactly what you are doing for the pylons, my guild would simply hit one direction as soon as the thing lit up to be clicked, this has worked 3 times in a row. we also split our raid into 2 groups, i assume everyone is doing this.

there is no pattern or anything, it's just a bug that randomly occurs. You've basically gotten lucky 3 times.

People who say this is a mechanic are basically failed WoW raiders who are trying to feel special. There's no mechanic. This is OBVIOUSLY a bug because there is no indication that you "failed" and you have to reset the instance.

there is no pattern or anything, it's just a bug that randomly occurs. You've basically gotten lucky 3 times.

People who say this is a mechanic are basically failed WoW raiders who are trying to feel special. There's no mechanic. This is OBVIOUSLY a bug because there is no indication that you "failed" and you have to reset the instance.

You're wrong, there's a mechanic you're missing still.

yes, we beat it, short of complete luck, the whole "north must be locked last on all stages except the last and each stage must be locked at approximately the same time" might work to finish the encounter but I find it difficult to believe that it is the way it is "meant" to be completed. Seems far too convoluted and obscure without any way to determine (via debuffs or preventative measures and so on) that it is in fact the way it was designed to be completed. The kicker though is that when you "fail" the encounter and the consoles lock up, you need to reset the instance in order to attempt it again.

Once again, I am open to it being "a" way to complete the encounter, but it seems a bit stupid that is the way it was "intended" to be cpmpleted.

If you are still having trouble with this it is your own damn fault.

The solution has been posted and yet still people are arguing and trying to figure it out.

Blind leading the Blind.

If you are talking about the NSSN or SNNS order then no those are not the only solutions. We solved it going SSSN.

Edited by Shaetun

Solved it by locking north pylon first every time on nightmare. We got it locked up with SNNS NSSN so you can stop posting that its the right solution every time. Edited by Akpin

If you are still having trouble with this it is your own damn fault.

The solution has been posted and yet still people are arguing and trying to figure it out.

Blind leading the Blind.

Look at this guy. You BET he feels really good now - look at how much he knows that you don't! - better than he did back when he was slaving away to achieve his world 1500th boss kills in the wonderful World of Warcraft, anyway.

We took 10-15 tries to do this over the course of 2 days. Typically it would freeze at the end of the second stage every time. We were able to advance to the last stage once by hitting them at the same time, but the Northern pillar finished and the Southern pillar stopped spinning one button away from completing. We finally finished it, but we just spammed the right buttons as quickly as possible. The Southern pillar happened to complete first, and that resulted in a win. No idea why it worked this time and not the others.

So if you want to emulate our success, just hit the right button as quickly as possible. As long as you get past stage two and let the Southern pillar finish first, it should be a win.

The level of cognitive bias being demonstrated in this thread is enough to write a PhD thesis on.

The encounter is bugged. If you completed it successfully, then that means you got lucky and did not run into the bug, not that you discovered the super secret solution. My guild completed it first try on NM, came back next week, did it exactly the same way and ran into the bug 3 times in a row.

As others in the thread have posted, if this were an intended mechanic then there would be some indication of that -- it would be a raid wipe, most likely, rather than a forced manual reset of the instance. That just screams "bug".

My guild finally completed this encounter after a few nights and multiple attempts. While the difficulty of this encounter is quite laughable, the pylons deactivating is quite obnoxious. We tried different ways of solving each attempt, almost every one listed in this thread. However, what we did that finally worked was praying to our Lord Almighty Tebow. We all kneeled and said a prayer to Lord Tebow and what do ya know? The pylons did NOT deactivate on us. Try it out. It worked for us!