Stat help for Medic Operative

vaughnj

I am a level 31 Operative and I am currently building on the medic side of the skill tree. If I knew how to post the build I plan on using I would..but its 31/3/7. My question though really pertains to stats.

I really am uneducated when it comes to what is the best stats to build on to compliment my heals and overall character.

What stats should I stack the highest? What do they all do....cunning, endurance, power, critical, etc.

Thank you in advance for any help someone can give me!

Cunning is applicable to everything we do. We're a tech class and cunning translates to tech power.

Endurance is never bad to have. Particularly if you group heal or PvP heal. You need to be able to take some hits.

Critical Chance is always nice for increasing overall healing, though it's a little less nice for healers than DPS because of over-healing. The same can be said or Surge, which increases the effect of a critical.

Alacrity reduces cast times. Not bad. It will have the side-effect of reducing the amount of time you can cast at once, but you'll be getting out more heals and other abilities faster. If you start to run out, then stop - or pop an energy regen ability.

Power seem to be a general boost to all effects. I don't know much more than that. Seems good to have.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone knows for sure what the absolute best stats to buff are going to be. For now I think you should just focus on Cunning and Endurance, and look for Critical Chance too - it's pretty easy to find.

You definitely want as much cunning as you can get for sure..

as someone mentioned above, alacrity is a double edged sword - you can heal more, but you'll burn energy faster too. good for pvp, where your healing is very spikey, not so much for pve, where healing is more steady

crit and surge should be kept about even if you can, it'll help your heals especially synergizing with some of your talents like diagnostic scan and kolto probe

Cunning above all. Choose the item or augment that has the highest amount.

Choose enhancements for either crit, power, surge or alacrity, whichever you feel is your weakest point. It seems that alacrity is tied to crit, and power and surge are tied together too. Im not looking at the accuracy ones cause I heal.

Ive gone, cunning>crit>alacrity.

Currently 1400ish, 40%, 0.25-0.3 off injection - I havent checked scan (will check later)

To offset the amount of crit and alacrity I have on my augs, I have chosen surge and power on my implants and earrings - which are augmentable aswell, for surge.

But having said that I would also rate crit and surge as even - whilst alacrity is something you have to adopt your playstyle to. I dont become energy starved by having shaved a good chunk off my castime, but Ive also gotten into a routine of scanning fairly often to stay above 60% energy.

Just like to state that crit feels extremely important for operative because of our energy regen. Getting a solid crit or two off means more time to regen - as to not fall below the max energy regen point.

The "feel" im getting is this for us:

Critical chance > Surge > Power > Alacrity.

Why?

Our healing mechanic revolves around a regen system that punnishes spamming and rewards crits. Therefore we should focus on high crit chance with increased crit% and raw power. Some alacrity is ofcourse nice, but I forsee this as not to be focused to much on.

Just like to state that crit feels extremely important for operative because of our energy regen. Getting a solid crit or two off means more time to regen - as to not fall below the max energy regen point.

The "feel" im getting is this for us:

Critical chance > Surge > Power > Alacrity.

Why?

Our healing mechanic revolves around a regen system that punnishes spamming and rewards crits. Therefore we should focus on high crit chance with increased crit% and raw power. Some alacrity is ofcourse nice, but I forsee this as not to be focused to much on.

Crit and surge ARENT before power. Don't listen to this guy.

It's cunning->power->crit to 4-500->alacrity->surge

Some would put alacrity before the other stats but since it only affects injection I only started taking it after I hit 400 crit.(huge dr on crit after)

Ideally you want items that are either power/crit or power/alacrity.

Edited by Jooji

Crit and surge ARENT before power. Don't listen to this guy.

It's cunning->power->crit to 4-500->alacrity->surge

Some would put alacrity before the other stats but since it only affects injection I only started taking it after I hit 400 crit.(huge dr on crit after)

Ideally you want items that are either power/crit or power/alacrity.

I wasnt stating this as facts, just as a guess from personal experience and theory crafting.

When I focused crit chance - the crit chance skyrocketed, while stacking power gave only a very minor boost despite going for a good amount of it. I feel power gives little in comparison to other stats. And guessing surge is better as it gets more valuable with high crit. I am completely open for being totally wrong :D

Surge would be a great stat if we weren't healers. Since we can't control our crits surge becomes a rather weak stat since it'll result in a lot of over-healing. Right now I'm running 357 crit rating, 303 surge, 138 alacrity. Ideally I'd like to drop most of that surge for alacrity and power but it's hard to avoid it.

Surge would be a great stat if we weren't healers. Since we can't control our crits surge becomes a rather weak stat since it'll result in a lot of over-healing. Right now I'm running 357 crit rating, 303 surge, 138 alacrity. Ideally I'd like to drop most of that surge for alacrity and power but it's hard to avoid it.

As an operative healer im kinda worried about energy more than overhealing. When healing lots of targets - what skills to use isnt the problem, not going beneath the "cliff" of lower energy regen is. Not being able to control crits doesent seem like a problem, its more like:

"Oh hey I just critted - and hard, now I can heal that other guy instead of healing the tank one more time first"

Not being able to predict crits is one thing, but as they land you can react accordingly imo.

Still - will have to see in operations how it all turns out.

my scan has dropped half a second to 2.5 because of alacrity. Id like to stack enough alacrity to get it down to 2 seconds.

I have 40% crit, and high cunning. - I have not stacked any power yet. I feel as if choosing high cunning on all augments whenever possible is a good way to boost power through cunning. Enhancements, especially from dailies provide 30+ crit and alacrity - whereas surge and power are also tied, but feel like a worse investment.

Cunning - Crit - Surge - Power - Alac for PVE?

I am already 400 in Armortech so I want to do the right gear, I really dont use scan that most but I am only level 37.

I don't think surge is very good tbh. I even question the value of crit when compared to alacrity, power first for sure.

Alacrity affects your channel speed as well, meaning Diag Scan completes faster.

I don't think surge is very good tbh. I even question the value of crit when compared to alacrity, power first for sure.

You can't be serious.

Alacrity should be avoided like the plague as an operative. You have 2 heals that will be affected: KI and DS. DS is negligible so really only KI gets benefit from it. Whereas power, crit and surge benefit KI, DS, and SP (and I guess RN if you were stupid enough to take it).

Personally I'd say

Cunning > Power/Crit > Surge*

If you don't have the energy restore from DS on crit then surge will quickly outpace crit for raw healing power but surge is very inconsistent and can very often just be overheal.

There was a thread the other day that said Alacrity reduces the GCD which to me would make it good for all our abilities.

it also reduces the cast time on any channelled ability, fx scan, and reduces the cooldown on abilties that have a cooldown.

Alacrity will basically turn your main heal into a 1.5 second cast, your scan into a 2 second channel, and the cooldowns on your other abilities will drop significantly. - That is if you stack alacrity from enhancement pre-raid gear. The enhancements from dailies have endurance, crit and alacrity, or endurance, power and surge. - (they also come with def and shield /absorb - but that doesnt seem relevant to this conversation)

I have definately benefitted from having high crit, and high alacrity. The latter does not energy starve you at all, but it makes scan a very viable way to heal with less energy stricture on your regen due to scans reduced channel time, coupled with your high crit return which grants energy every tick.

Someone mentioned how few abilities alacrity benefitted, but I say to you; you use very few abilities when you heal. And the main heal is significantly reduced in castime, and you suddenly open scan to a comfortable channel time, loosening up the energy stricture that surrounds OP healing. I wont be dropping crit/alacrity enhancements for power/surge any time soon thats for sure.

I should add though, that I originally was going for high crit, due to operatives mechanics with regards to that stat, but found alacrity came with all the crit enhancements. I was gutted it didnt come tied with surge, but have found alacrity was actually a very helpful stat in the end.

PS. I heard the GC was affected by alacrity, but I have not found it to be so, and I have very high alacrity, so surely I should have noticed that. I was pleasently surprised to find it did lower the cooldowns on most of our abilities so they recycled faster. That has been benefitial to my playstyle anyway.

Edited by Nilenya

As an operative healer im kinda worried about energy more than overhealing. When healing lots of targets - what skills to use isnt the problem, not going beneath the "cliff" of lower energy regen is. Not being able to control crits doesent seem like a problem, its more like:

"Oh hey I just critted - and hard, now I can heal that other guy instead of healing the tank one more time first"

Not being able to predict crits is one thing, but as they land you can react accordingly imo.

Still - will have to see in operations how it all turns out.

That's what power is for. Predictable +healing.:p

• 1 month later...
not sure if this helps at all but based on the stats of all the Tionese medic's pve gear the stats would equal. Power 194, alacrity 320, crit 150. this is without any augments in the gear. not sure what the mathmatics of each stat would make the percentages, but thought it might help.

I am also a huge fan of Alacrity as a PvP healing op. I like to be as mobile as I can and by getting KI off as quickly as possible is to important to me. There are to many times when someone is running away from you and they run to far for the heal because you can't get it off soon enough. it also lessens the time for the other player to interrupt your cast.

I would also argue that Alacrity effects all your healing skills as you will get off more KI + SPs in any given time frame.

That's what power is for. Predictable +healing.:p

That would be the case if power scaled in any meaningful way.

I'm also seriously baffled by all the love for Alacricity. Of all our relevant stats, it's easily the worst.

As it is now, ~40power gives ~5bonus dmg/healing, whereas 40surge gives 5%(!) higher crit values.

I know it has always been the healers mantra to have huge, steady heals, but in this game and especially for this class, it's just not feasible.

Operatives can easily get a base crit chance of 40%. Add to that a good surge rating and your healing power will skyrocket.

You can easily avoid most of the overhealing due to our KI+SP rotation. Cast KI, expect some 4-5k healing, if it doesnt crit, throw in SP. If it does, spend SP on someone else. Simple as that.

On the upside, you get mana neutral healing (because you don't have to cast everything twice as often.)

That isn't feasible for two reasons: With base speed, healing without decent crit/surge will simply not be enough. You won't be able to keep anyone alive with steady 2,5k+1k KI+SPs

With alacricity, you'll be able to heal a good amount at good speed - but you won't have the energy to keep that up. DS, for all its reg value, is effectively a lost KI+SP. It's time were you are not healing in any meaningful way.

You'll be much better off having a steady, mana neutral KI+SP rotation that doesn't need DS and heals for high, fairly predictable crit values.

Therefore it's Power > Crit > Surge >>>>> Alacricity in endgame.

Early on, it's actually Crit/Surge > Power >>>>>Alacricity. The raw increase in healing output is simply that much higher

Edited by Skurkanas

Anyone who thinks stacking Alacrity on their operative is a good idea is extremely mistaken. The stat priority for healing operatives to maximize HPS & HPE (heals per second & heals per energy) is the following:

cunning > power > surge (minimum above 70%) > crit (no more than 40%) > alacrity.

As detailed in this post: http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Scoundrel-Operative-Healing-Compendium and this spreadsheet: http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Operative-HPS-Spreadsheet ... alacrity has an extremely minimal effect on HPS/HPE compared to power and surge (assuming you already have crit maxed to where it needs to be).

That is not to say you shouldn't have any alacrity. I prefer enough to keep KI down to around a 1.8s cast, however, you should never stack alacrity over power or surge. Ever.

Also, power is 100% ahead of crit and surge in the stat priority once you've brought crit up to at least 33% and surge to at least 70%. The ideal stack after that is 40% crit/ 80% surge and as much extra power and surge you can get after that.

Edited by sang

Alclarity only effects cast time and channle time.

GCD is 1.5 sec this can not be altered by any stat your stuck with it. Base KI your main heal as an OP healer has a cast time of 2sec everything else we do is instant and even if the off chance you do use infusion and waste energy and ta procs for a less then efficient heal it's cast time is 1.5 sec. This is why putting points into alclarity is not a huge priority for us you will still experience the same lock out timer no matter what.

DS will be effected by alclarity but it isn't really a heal as over the 3 sec you will heal for what not even 1k? It's more of a energy regen system that you can use to be sure ur regen stays in proper ranges. Since it is a free cast costing nothing there is no downfall to canceling it other then gcd lock out meaning at most you want alclarity at enough to bring the channle time of this down to 2.25 sec so you can atleast get 2 ticks out before you cancel it.

If i were to put a cap on any of our stats it would be this one since you really only want enough to bring KI and DS to a certain range kI no less then 1.5sec and DS no less then 2.25 sec since you will never get it to a 1.5 sec channle while still keeping other stats in respectable ranges.

Even with that said I would not make it a priority to get if you come acrose it you will get use out of it but otherwise since it has no effect on cd, gcd, or HoT's it is pretty much poop. And make you go out of energy faster then if your prioritzed things that would improve your healing ie crit/surge, or power. As these stats would make you have to heal less often which would keep your energy reserves in an ideal range making it so you have to DS less which is good since as mentioned it is more there for energy return then to heal.

Crit/surge should imo be go hand in hand if you are focusing crit you want surge to make it higher sure that your crits hit harder when they do so you aren't forced into chain casting which will deplete your energy system bringing it to a less then optimal range.

If you make it a priority to get power spread out your crit and surge. Get crit to a range that you find comfortable then focus surge only keep alclarity when it's on a non modable piece for reasons stated.

If alclarity was every changed to effect HoT's or there were changes made to our heals or even if it interacted with energy in some way I would rethink this but till that is if every imlemented I would have to stick with this model.

So with that all said I would ether go power>crit to comfort level>surge>alclarity or crit till dr kicks in to hard>surge>power>alclarity.

Just my thoughts. Even in a best case scenario you realy want to try and use KI as little as possible as chain casting it leads to low energy you want to save this for emergancys and alclarity doesn't help with your KP or SP and even RN if you speced for it are what your trying to use to keep people at safe ranges. KI is for people that slip below that comfort range and your need to bring them back up. And even then you should try to switch targets after that person to boost the next person with an SP off the TA you get from KI if they weren't the only one to get bursted.

You also have to remember our OH crap button is SP for when someone hits that 30% unless your alclarity is to the point where your KI is less then 1.5 sec your gonna be spamming SP and the crit/surge/power will help you alot to getting them over 30% so you can hopefully safely cast w/o them droping in the meantime.