Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Re opening up the Character Transfer to Shae Vizla

miclanman

46 minutes ago, septru said:

And that is exactly why BioSword won't offer transfers. They never do anything right. 

Making a conscious effort to mitigate risk is the right thing to do. Especially if their goal is the longevity of SWTOR. Only time will tell if their effort pays off though.

Edited by AFadedMemory

Not an APAC player, but the ping isn't too bad from where I live so I've played there a bit and want to move my legacy over. Honestly, I don't really understand why some APAC players don't want non-APAC players transferring to SV. I've always enjoyed playing on USA servers with APAC players, as it is nice to have more hours when there are lots of people online, and more people makes for a more robust GTN. 

That said, I do support transfers being opened to SV (from ALL regions). My hope is that they'll do another 50% off transfers sale or some other promotion to lessen the cost when they do. I get the novelty of a "fresh start" server, but I don't really think that was the point of making an APAC server. Of course it may be reasonable to wait a short while to enable transfers for the sake of preventing economic chaos, but certainly not for long enough that the novelty of the new server wears off and the population tanks.

Edited by Gwena

18 minutes ago, Gwena said:

Not an APAC player, but the ping isn't too bad from where I live so I've played there a bit and want to move my legacy over. Honestly, I don't really understand why some APAC players don't want non-APAC players transferring to SV. I've always enjoyed playing on USA servers with APAC players, as it is nice to have more hours when there are lots of people online, and more people makes for a more robust GTN. 

No players, generally speaking, are saying US and EU people should not transfer over. The perceived/valued "purpose" of the sever simply trends in different direction base on where an individual is from.  Many APAC players want their legacy on a server with a good ping. Non APAC players typically already have a good ping but are tired of the servers they are on and want a fresh start.

19 minutes ago, Gwena said:

That said, I do support transfers being opened to SV (from ALL regions). My hope is that they'll do another 50% off transfers sale or some other promotion to lessen the cost when they do. I get the novelty of a "fresh start" server, but I don't really think that was the point of making an APAC server. Of course it may be reasonable to wait a short while to enable transfers for the sake of preventing economic chaos, but certainly not for long enough that the novelty of the new server wears off and the population tanks.

BS has to work this one out

Surely BS can track which of us APAC players are the ones who originally rolled on the APAC server back in the day, and roll out free transfers to us. We are the ones who have been shuffled around TWICE now due to server closures - we just want to go home! We don't want to have to PAY for things we've already paid for again.. it's not fair, and not like we asked for it in the first place! Those who don't want to transfer, or want the fresh start... can have that.. those of us who want a low ping and to have our legacy and "global" (server) unlocks should be able to. Want to limit credits for the transfer... sure, whatever - just let me have my unlocks and strongholds etc..    and don't say they can't move everything... they already did it to us.. TWICE.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, septru said:

You know it's right to offer transfers. I know it's right to offer transfers. Every semi-rational human being that plays this game knows it's right to offer transfers

And yet, we have people from the US & EU arguing against letting actual APAC players from transferring back to their home APAC region. 

• Like 1

I honestly have no idea about the logistics or anything about this suggestion, I'm just putting it out there and can someone please tell me why it could be done or why it couldn't....

What about two APAC servers? It's on the cloud now, yes? Whilst, admittedly, I don't know much about that either, my suggestion is have one server as Fresh Start, and the other APAC server to be legacy transferable?

Again, I do not know much about this, and it may be the dumbest idea I've ever had, and you've ever heard, haha.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cattooo said:

I honestly have no idea about the logistics or anything about this suggestion, I'm just putting it out there and can someone please tell me why it could be done or why it couldn't....

What about two APAC servers? It's on the cloud now, yes? Whilst, admittedly, I don't know much about that either, my suggestion is have one server as Fresh Start, and the other APAC server to be legacy transferable?

Again, I do not know much about this, and it may be the dumbest idea I've ever had, and you've ever heard, haha.

If we are being realistic these are the only scenarios BS’s policy allows

1. After reviewing population numbers BS decides to close the server 

2. After reviewing population numbers BS decides to keep server open and opens it up for transfers

The Server Has to Be Open for at least 90s day is the only character transfer server restriction currently in place. This means a server that doesn’t allow transfers after 90 days is not likely. And a server that allows transfers before 90 days is also unlikely. (Can this change? Sure, but also unlikely)

Edited by AFadedMemory
  • Like 1

I'm still amused that some people are waiting for something that might not come soon. It might be 3 months from now, or even a year from now. Meanwhile I have my third character reach lvl 50 and finish  chapters. I'm not waiting--I'm doing something, because doing something beats waiting. As I keep saying, I'm building my legacy on this server and want this server to be successful, and that comes by doing something.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

The server wasn’t opened to accommodate their needs. It was opened for the APAC community.

For starters, you have absolutely no evidence that this is the case nor does anyone else have evidence it was opened for another reason. APAC players have been asking for a server in their region for a while now and others have been asking for a fresh start server. Opening a fresh start server in the region allowed Broadsword to potentially address both communities at the same time (I don't have any inside knowledge here either but it seems logical).

It is your demands and dismissal of other people's opinions that has turned a lot of players off on supporting you. Every time someone suggests something reasonable, you go after them and demand that Broadsword do it your way and if they don't "They just want the server to fail". No one wants the new server to fail.

For the record, I was supportive of your position of better advertisement and even limited transfers and many of your ideas were fine but I stopped posting in support of you when you went down the road of "this server if for APAC and they are the only ones who should have any say in how it evolves". Everyone has a stake in the game's survival, not just APAC players, just US players, or just EU players alone.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

And yet, we have people from the US & EU arguing against letting actual APAC players from transferring back to their home APAC region. 

Originally this was about just transferring legacies which I don't think anyone was actually opposed to. What it has become is people wanting to transfer billions of credits (or their equivalent value in items to sell on the server). The "discussion" is about what is the right course to take there. If they could somehow limit it to old APAC players (and we should probably stop calling them APAC players when what is meant is "southeast asian" players - the West Coast of the US is actually part of APAC and generally has the same ping to the server in Sydney as to the US servers), that also probably wouldn't be an issue but I think most people doubt that system could work. How exactly do you determine who is an "APAC" player (e-mail provider, bank location, etc) and should it only apply to those who were active before the server shut down (those that started later were at no significant legacy or wealth disadvantage as a result of the server closure and weren't "forced off" the server since they were never on it in the first place) are important questions to answer.

2 hours ago, Jarcen said:

I'm still amused that some people are waiting for something that might not come soon. It might be 3 months from now, or even a year from now. Meanwhile I have my third character reach lvl 50 and finish  chapters. I'm not waiting--I'm doing something, because doing something beats waiting. As I keep saying, I'm building my legacy on this server and want this server to be successful, and that comes by doing something.

I’m not sitting ideal either. I have 9 characters at lvl 25-35. But I can tell you I’m not enjoying myself nearly as much as I would if I could transfer some of my lvl 80’s over from Star Forge. And not having my strongholds decorated with a GTN & personal Cargo hold is becoming a real pain in the backside. 
Each day Im finding it harder & harder to be motivated to login because PvP pop times have dropped off since 7.4 was released. And I really don’t want to grind the same stories I’ve done 20-30 time already. I would like to play the new content with low ping. So I’m not going back to the US servers to play. If they shut SV down, that will be it for me. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DWho said:

Originally this was about just transferring legacies which I don't think anyone was actually opposed to. What it has become is people wanting to transfer billions of credits

I don’t see anyone arguing for that, not really. Sure someone said something in another thread once & we all said NO. 

No one wants to really transfer billions of credits. I doubt anyone needs more than about 50 million per legacy. I’d happily leave my billions on SF & SS. 

As for my extensive collection of CM dyes & items I’ve collected over the years & not used yet. Yes, I want to bring them with me. And no, I don’t think they should be legacy bound. I often give my wife CM dyes & CM gear I’ve collected. And now I’m back on APAC, intend to share some of that with family, friends & guildies. But I can’t do that if they are legacy bound. 

To sum up, no one is asking to bring billions of credits. And bringing CM itens won’t do anything negative to the economy on SV, if anything it would help supply. Anyone using the narrative that transferring CM would ruin the economy doesn’t understand basic economics.

12 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Then they launch 7.4 content & all those current APAC players have to go back to old servers to play it (this was easily predicted by everyone but Broadsword apparently?). Which goes partially against what they stated they were trying to achieve with developing the server community.

Rome wasn't built in a day and despite the doom and gloom opinion on the forums that there are no new players picking up swtor, that's completely false. They are doing what they think is right based upon the data they have that u don't have access to and are just wildly speculating on. This isn't a new game its been out for 11 years their potential for growth isn't going to spike massively like if this was a brand new game launching 😂😂 

4 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I don’t see anyone arguing for that, not really. Sure someone said something in another thread once & we all said NO. 

How about:

1) Allow transfers of legacy (all legacy unlocks, boosts, etc) combined from all servers associated with the account

2) Allow limited transfers of characters (3-5 maximum in the short term no restrictions on items)

I would be fully supportive of this approach and you could have your unlocked CM items as well. To me this satisfies both the "APAC" players transfer needs and the concerns about the economy. I would be supportive of transferring more characters with a hard limit on both credits and items (perhaps even at reduced cost for the item limited characters).

4 minutes ago, DWho said:

How about:

1) Allow transfers of legacy (all legacy unlocks, boosts, etc) combined from all servers associated with the account

2) Allow limited transfers of characters (3-5 maximum in the short term no restrictions on items)

I would be fully supportive of this approach and you could have your unlocked CM items as well. To me this satisfies both the "APAC" players transfer needs and the concerns about the economy. I would be supportive of transferring more characters with a hard limit on both credits and items (perhaps even at reduced cost for the item limited characters).

This is basically what I’ve been arguing for since the start. But I keep having to explain & defend my position to hardliners who say no to any transfers or any CM items.

I was the first person to suggest a credit cap per legacy. And even then I had some APAC players say my cap was too low for them. But honestly, I don’t care that much about my own credits. I’d personally be happy with 2 million per character transferred. But others have suggested 50 million based on Strong Hold & guild ship unlocks, which seems fair as long as that was per legacy & not per character.

So you see, I’ve not been unreasonable. But I have been getting my back up at constantly having to defend a reasonable position for APAC residents against the hardliners (who aren’t APAC residents btw) who are trying to dictate terms of what an APAC server should be for APAC players because they want a virgin server experience.

I’m not against OS players being on APAC, the more the merrier & I welcome who ever wants to join. What I take issue with is these hardliners dictating wether actual APAC residents should be “allowed” to bring their legacies home.  And if I’ve rubbed some people, who aren’t hardliners, the wrong way, I’m sorry about that. It was not my intention.  But I’m sure you can understand that it frustrating to have to constantly try & steer the discussion back to a more reasonable position. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Samcuu said:

Rome wasn't built in a day and despite the doom and gloom opinion on the forums that there are no new players picking up swtor, that's completely false. They are doing what they think is right based upon the data they have that u don't have access to and are just wildly speculating on. This isn't a new game its been out for 11 years their potential for growth isn't going to spike massively like if this was a brand new game launching 😂😂 

Show me one piece of actual marketing in the APAC region to lure in new players for the new server. There have been no interviews, no magazine articles & no announcements in any APAC gaming website. Not even https://www.kotaku.com.au/ has any news. And they were the ones that broke the BioWare to Broadsword story. 

8 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

So you see, I’ve not been unreasonable. But I have been getting my back up at constantly having to defend a reasonable position for APAC residents against the hardliners (who aren’t APAC residents btw) who are trying to dictate terms of what an APAC server should be for APAC players because they want a virgin server experience.

The issue is your dividing the game community into "APAC" and "non-APAC" (which is mainly where my issue with your posts lies) and making it an adversarial relationship. I'm sure there are plenty of APAC players that would like a "fresh start" server as well so it's not just a "APAC" vs "non-APAC" issue.

here is maybe a idea from somebody that has compleet notting to do with the new APAC server at all so not blame me for it.

so now that is told i was thinking why there not open the transfer only the char it self with compleet notting that you only can tranfer a naked char what has compleet notting also no credit transfer only a emty shell you tranfer then.

and that for now only you can tranfer 1 char per account to the new server.

then you have a basic more to work from what can be chance later on then again to allow what more maybe.

the main point is the hardliners need to understand also something importent that this is the last chance there have to play on this server what give's then less ping there is no other chance comming anymore.

if there close this server since it has to low population then its done with all the new servers there maybe wane creat later on in the years ( if the game can keep it alive then by that time).

59 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Show me one piece of actual marketing in the APAC region to lure in new players for the new server. There have been no interviews, no magazine articles & no announcements in any APAC gaming website. Not even https://www.kotaku.com.au/ has any news. And they were the ones that broke the BioWare to Broadsword story. 

Unfortunately ur not running this particular business and u have no clue what kind of marketing budget they are given. How much would it cost them to do it? Is the return on investment worth it? What results did they gain from spending money on marketing something like this previously? Is it possible that they get better results from word of mouth through their swtor content creators/social media platforms,  than spending on marketing? Its not something u or i could ever know, nor is it in our control. If you have those numbers share them, otherwise ur just wildly speculating (as usual) and only advocating for ur own personal gain.

Regardless what's stopping gaming magazines from writing articles about the new server? Are they expecting payment to do so? Did swtor notify them of the new server and they just didn't bother writing an article because they felt it wasn't newsworthy? Again all stuff u and I don't have a clue about.

Edited by Samcuu

10 hours ago, Samcuu said:

Unfortunately ur not running this particular business and u have no clue what kind of marketing budget they are given. How much would it cost them to do it? Is the return on investment worth it? What results did they gain from spending money on marketing something like this previously? Is it possible that they get better results from word of mouth through their swtor content creators/social media platforms,  than spending on marketing? Its not something u or i could ever know, nor is it in our control. If you have those numbers share them, otherwise ur just wildly speculating (as usual) and only advocating for ur own personal gain.

Regardless what's stopping gaming magazines from writing articles about the new server? Are they expecting payment to do so? Did swtor notify them of the new server and they just didn't bother writing an article because they felt it wasn't newsworthy? Again all stuff u and I don't have a clue about.

I have wonder if they even reached out to Australian publications like Kotaku to inform them the server was being opened.

I specifically mention this APAC publication because they were the ones who released the scoop on swtor going to Broadsword.

For them to not even mention the APAC launch, means they either don’t know about it or BioWare/Broadsword burnt some bridges with them after the scoop.

PvP pops on Shae Vizla yesterday ground to a complete stand still for several hours. I literally had 3 games in 4 hours. And when they popped they weren’t evenly numbered & were below half strength. Technically they should not have even popped. 2v4, 3v4 War Zones are a farce.

I’m going to stop playing PvP on Shae Vizla now. Sitting for several hours twiddling my thumbs isn’t fun. 

I love the fantastic ping. But that’s meaningless if I can’t PvP or play any of the brand new content on the server. 

I refuse to grind out stories again, that I’ve done 30-50 times already. I know I’m not alone with this sentiment. 

@JackieKo @EricMusco

Sadly, if we don’t get transfers to APAC opened before you go on holidays at Xmas, I doubt they’ll be a community on SV when you get back. My wife & I won’t be renewing our subscriptions this month without transfers because it’s not worth it if we can’t play the content we want. Cost of living pressures means we just can’t waste money on things that stop offering value. Surely you can understand where myself & many other APAC players are coming from. The balls in your court. I hope you make the right decision for the APAC community. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2023 at 12:13 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Sadly, if we don’t get transfers to APAC opened before you go on holidays at Xmas, I doubt they’ll be a community on SV when you get back

It's extremely unlikely that there will be no community on SV when they get back. The real question is will the community be large enough to justify keeping it open?

Hey everyone,

We’re making some site upgrades to the account pages on swtor.com starting tomorrow (December 14th) morning. 

Now this my be wrong or wishful thinking, but do you know what's apart of the account section of the SWTOR website... Character Transfers.

11 minutes ago, AFadedMemory said:

Now this my be wrong or wishful thinking, but do you know what's apart of the account section of the SWTOR website... Character Transfers.

I’m not getting my hopes up for that at all. Because they could already have said they’d offer transfers once it’s upgraded, and they haven’t. Everyone wanting transfers would be ecstatic & all the criticism would have stopped.

I think it’s nothing more than them making it easier to buy CC’s & to subscribe. Especially as the swtor website’s store has been bugged on & off for over a month. There’s a forum thread & posts complaining about it.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.