Bring back Ranked PvP

A-Hero-Falls

On 9/18/2023 at 7:50 AM, septru said:

All of them would come back. Without question. You'd be surprised how many people love the fundamentals of combat in this game. 

Literally all it takes is devs communicating better, putting effort into areas that people actually care about, and admitting to their mistakes. 

I'd bet easily at least a couple thousand players would return with just an apology for 7.0 & a decent patch that added things like more maps, matchmaking, and addressed balance concerns.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, TheVoyant said:

all it takes is devs communicating better

what color is the sky in your world? if the "devs" (design team, etc.) communicated better, then the chunk of players who stuck around waiting 2+ years for the 7.2 pvp revamp (1 year in the dead zone of 6.-something, 1 year in the dead zone of 7.0-7.1), then all that would have happened was the game would have lost those 2 years of subs.

pick any change in the game, be it idiotic balance moves (bubble stun is the banner child for this) or institution and removal of game modes (RWZs a month[?] after everyone PAID to transfer to a server for concentrated RWZs because BW was too incompetent to program x-server). honestly. this idea of dev communication helping is a myth. all it would ever mean is more ppl leaving sooner. when they have something they think will be received positively, they'll announce it. when they don't, they will hide it or try to reshape the message. i should think it's a fairly obvious approach at this point.

honestly, I think you're confusing "communication" with "doing what I think they should do upon hearing my advice."

Edited by krackcommando

3 hours ago, krackcommando said:

what color is the sky in your world? ."

Marketing/Expectations dominate the mindset of the average consumer. 

Elden Ring won Game of the Year for example, not because it was revolutionary or ground breaking but because it met the expectations of its player base.

If the Devs had effectively communicated the expectations would match the results, thus decreasing dissent. 

You're entitled to your own opinion & to draw your own conclusions, but sheer data tends to support image & perceived value is paramount to most. Essentially just be honest & upfront then deliver on said promise. 

I'm a former Regional Marketing Manager, this is literally my field of expertise. 

(Also not sure why you chose to cherry pick one of the main points and not take it as a whole. Delivering on players basic wants is also important as well. The things listed are commonly stated over and over by the larger player base.)

Edited by TheVoyant

35 minutes ago, TheVoyant said:

Marketing/Expectations dominate the mindset of the average consumer. 

Elden Ring won Game of the Year for example, not because it was revolutionary or ground breaking but because it met the expectations of its player base.

If the Devs had effectively communicated the expectations would match the results, thus decreasing dissent. 

You're entitled to your own opinion & to draw your own conclusions, but sheer data tends to support image & perceived value is paramount to most. Essentially just be honest & upfront then deliver on said promise. 

I'm a former Regional Marketing Manager, this is literally my field of expertise. 

(Also not sure why you chose to cherry pick one of the main points and not take it as a whole. Delivering on players basic wants is also important as well. The things listed are commonly stated over and over by the larger player base.)

dev communication is meaningless. they either ignore feedback or, worse, give you what you asked for in a twisted worst case scenario.

I thought my example of it was quite obvious. if ppl knew what wonky nonsense BW had planned for 7.2, they wouldn't have fed BW with their subs for ~2 years leading up to it.  prolly better not asking for anything in this game. they might actually (try to) give it to you. if you find that is actually an attack on you, then sorry. it's not. I thought my line that you cherry picked was clear hyperbole. 😜

edit: again, "doing what I think they should have done and following my advice" isn't just "communicating better." it would constitute a full turn about in game development and resources. that ain't happening. it is a nice dream though. it would be nice to have.

Edited by krackcommando
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TheVoyant said:

Literally all it takes is devs communicating better, putting effort into areas that people actually care about, and admitting to their mistakes. 

I'd bet easily at least a couple thousand players would return with just an apology for 7.0 & a decent patch that added things like more maps, matchmaking, and addressed balance concerns.

After you’ve been burnt multiple times squared by these devs, players have had enough. Sure some would return, but I think you’re being overly optimistic if you think thousands of PvP players would return even if BioSword did everything you said & more. It would take a much bigger effort to gain players trust again. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

After you’ve been burnt multiple times squared by these devs, players have had enough. Sure some would return, but I think you’re being overly optimistic if you think thousands of PvP players would return even if BioSword did everything you said & more. It would take a much bigger effort to gain players trust again. 

Even if they do anything, its to late.

2 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

People have very short term memories. There is not a ripe market to offer them what they want. The carrot looks massively appealing when all you've been getting is the stick.

I've seen it so many times in so many various fields, its a very predictable trend imo. 

Now add in the fact the MMO market is fluid, they go through the motions to other titles: FFXIV, ESO, GW2, etc. A decent amount of these customers are almost prone to a flavor of the month.

None of the above are Star Wars or have combat that compares. GW2 used to come close but has suffered from the stacking mentality which thankfully is not mandatory for a good chunk of Swtor content.

Introducing simple measures to make the game feel better to play in conjunction with new levels/maps. Perhaps even a good marketing strategy with duel tournaments, extra steps would help.

But if you rebuild trust, provide the consumers wants, and invite them back with fanfare... Its almost a timeless recipe for a renewal of business.

The challenge isn't in attracting consumers back at all, that's actually very easy in pretty even without the above (A sale, promotional event, tie in with popular media, etc) but its more in being able to continue to keep them happy once they've returned.

This would require a complete 180 from what we currently have from them. It'd require community management, engagement, apologies, honesty, and delivering upfront vs. empty promises. 

On 9/20/2023 at 4:19 PM, TheVoyant said:

Competent Dev's listen to constructive criticism and learn from it.

Edited by Lord_Malganus
  • Like 1